Accessing CompactFlash memory cards via USB - OS2

This is a discussion on Accessing CompactFlash memory cards via USB - OS2 ; Has anyone solved this problem or one like it, please? My Canon S70 digital camera records images on CompactFlash cards. When I load a CF card into a Zio "Dazzle" USB-2 card reader and access it as a Removable Device, ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

  1. Accessing CompactFlash memory cards via USB

    Has anyone solved this problem or one like it, please?

    My Canon S70 digital camera records images on CompactFlash cards.
    When I load a CF card into a Zio "Dazzle" USB-2 card reader and
    access it as a Removable Device, folders and images appear as one
    might expect and can be read out in the usual ways. But, after
    Ejecting the card and putting it back into the camera, the card
    is declared corrupt and must reformatted (in the camera).

    At a pinch, I could copy everything to the computer and take the
    hit of reformatting every time; but this feels sloppy. A better
    engineering fix has to exist. (?)

    FWIW, I have tried GPhoto2 which looks a fine piece of s/ware but
    (so far) does not know about the Canon S70; it sort-of recognises
    it as (I forget the exact terminology) some generic camera type.
    --
    Andrew Stephenson

  2. Re: Accessing CompactFlash memory cards via USB

    Andrew Stephenson wrote:
    > Has anyone solved this problem or one like it, please?
    >
    > My Canon S70 digital camera records images on CompactFlash cards.
    > When I load a CF card into a Zio "Dazzle" USB-2 card reader and
    > access it as a Removable Device, folders and images appear as one
    > might expect and can be read out in the usual ways. But, after
    > Ejecting the card and putting it back into the camera, the card
    > is declared corrupt and must reformatted (in the camera).
    >
    > At a pinch, I could copy everything to the computer and take the
    > hit of reformatting every time; but this feels sloppy. A better
    > engineering fix has to exist. (?)
    >
    > FWIW, I have tried GPhoto2 which looks a fine piece of s/ware but
    > (so far) does not know about the Canon S70; it sort-of recognises
    > it as (I forget the exact terminology) some generic camera type.

    At a guess, it has something to do with the extended attributes file
    which OS/2 puts on the disk by default. I don't know how to stop that,
    however. What filesystem does the camera use? (FAT, FAT32?)

    Stuart

  3. Re: Accessing CompactFlash memory cards via USB

    Andrew Stephenson wrote:
    > Has anyone solved this problem or one like it, please?
    >
    > My Canon S70 digital camera records images on CompactFlash cards.
    > When I load a CF card into a Zio "Dazzle" USB-2 card reader and
    > access it as a Removable Device, folders and images appear as one
    > might expect and can be read out in the usual ways. But, after
    > Ejecting the card and putting it back into the camera, the card
    > is declared corrupt and must reformatted (in the camera).
    >
    > At a pinch, I could copy everything to the computer and take the
    > hit of reformatting every time; but this feels sloppy. A better
    > engineering fix has to exist. (?)
    >
    > FWIW, I have tried GPhoto2 which looks a fine piece of s/ware but
    > (so far) does not know about the Canon S70; it sort-of recognises
    > it as (I forget the exact terminology) some generic camera type.

    Hi,

    Try Fotoget/2 and don't use the WPS. It's a problem with EAs.

    Ciao/2
    Thomas

  4. Re: Accessing CompactFlash memory cards via USB

    Hi Andrew:

    I have the same problem with CF cards on my PCMCIA
    CF adaptor. The trick is *not* to close the root
    folder from the WPS, as then it will write/append to
    the card in the root directory (EA DATA), which
    confuses the camera's file system. After the card is
    ejected or powered off, then I close all the folders
    which leaves the CF card readable by the camera. OS/2
    can write and delete to the card, even to EA DATA on
    the root, as it seems that only the root directory
    closing while the card is writeable causes the actual
    file system corruption.

    later,
    lin Baden

    In <1116428341snz@deltrak.demon.co.uk>, ames@deltrak.demon.co.uk (Andrew Stephenson) writes:
    >Has anyone solved this problem or one like it, please?
    >
    >My Canon S70 digital camera records images on CompactFlash cards.
    >When I load a CF card into a Zio "Dazzle" USB-2 card reader and
    >access it as a Removable Device, folders and images appear as one
    >might expect and can be read out in the usual ways. But, after
    >Ejecting the card and putting it back into the camera, the card
    >is declared corrupt and must reformatted (in the camera).
    >
    >At a pinch, I could copy everything to the computer and take the
    >hit of reformatting every time; but this feels sloppy. A better
    >engineering fix has to exist. (?)
    >
    >FWIW, I have tried GPhoto2 which looks a fine piece of s/ware but
    >(so far) does not know about the Canon S70; it sort-of recognises
    >it as (I forget the exact terminology) some generic camera type.
    >--
    >Andrew Stephenson

    Baden Kudrenecky
    baden@unixg.ubc.ca
    http://baden.nu/

  5. Re: Accessing CompactFlash memory cards via USB

    The helpful response has been overwhelming. Thanks to you all
    (and to the help via email -- separate reply coming, there).

    Opinion seemed unanimous on not putting EAs on the memory card,
    so I tried this...
    * Mount card in reader, plugged into USB-2 port.
    * Refresh removables with LVM. New drive icon appears -- same as
    with my LaCie USB-2 HDD, so this seems to be activating standard
    Memory Storage Device mechanisms. Drivers here are the supplied
    eCS-1.2 set: pretty much what vanilla OS/2::Warp has, AIUI.
    * Go to command line and access card directory the old fashioned
    way. Copy *.JPGs to a directory on HDD.
    * "Eject" the CompactFlash card, using menu of drive object.
    * Return card to camera.

    This time the card was not corrupted (yay!) and the files' copies
    were accessable (although, somehow, their artistic merit had not
    grown any greater -- must work on _that_ bug).

    So we have a work-around. Other suggestions will be investigated
    tomorrow, after sleep.

    Thanks again.
    --
    Andrew Stephenson

  6. Re: Accessing CompactFlash memory cards via USB

    On Wed, 18 May 2005 14:59:01 UTC,
    wrote:

    > Has anyone solved this problem or one like it, please?
    >
    > My Canon S70 digital camera records images on CompactFlash cards.

    > I could copy everything to the computer and take the
    > hit of reformatting every time; but this feels sloppy.

    Re-formatting in the camera is a *good* thing-
    quick & clean. Isn't this better than moving
    images from cfcard > computer which is a COPY
    followed by a DELETE of each file which requires
    writing to the card? Using a DOS Window for MOVING
    images or FORMATting the cfcard has worked well
    for my old Nikon which cannot do an in-camera
    format just to clear off images.

    The new Nikon *can* do a quick format to clear the
    card of images (progress!), so I only COPY into
    OS/2 (via IDE) or Mac USB. It will format FAT as
    long as the cfcard is already FAT formatted.
    Otherwise its default is FAT32 which I do not use.

    The trick of ejecting the cfcard before closing
    the windows is interesting; it may effectively
    keep EAs off the card even if one does an OS/2
    desktop COPY of the files in lieu of the extra
    step of opening a DOS window.

    Django

  7. Re: Accessing CompactFlash memory cards via USB

    In article <1116431067.82793.0@despina.uk.clara.net>
    srtgrayNOT@clara.co.uk "Stuart Gray" writes:

    > What filesystem does the camera use? (FAT, FAT32?)

    Sorry, forgot to answer this question yesterday. Interestingly,
    it seems to be FAT, according to OS/2's Properties->Details. Not
    FAT-anything-in-particular. What the camera will use when I plug
    in a 1GB card, I dread to think: imagine the waste of space from
    larger allocation blocks... Or would there be significant waste?
    Realistically, image sizes will always exceed a megabyte, even if
    held as a JPG. (The camera has a 7.1 MB sensor.) As the memory
    space is always expected to be recovered and re-used, some sloppy
    data packing is not too serious (except in how it detracts from a
    card's capacity -- but then bigger cards (with worse efficiency)
    are available. A nice computing-theory asset-tradeoff problem.
    --
    Andrew Stephenson

  8. Re: Accessing CompactFlash memory cards via USB

    To add to what I reported, about accessing the CompactFlash card
    from the command line (to avoid EAs being added), I have learned
    one can "eject" a card with command
    EJECT :

    This may be common knowledge; still I was inordinately pleased to
    discover it. IMHO, "mounting" a card remains easier with the WPS
    LVM-icon-based refresh command.
    --
    Andrew Stephenson

  9. Re: Accessing CompactFlash memory cards via USB

    In article django@hotclub.fr writes:

    > On Wed, 18 May 2005 14:59:01 UTC,
    > ames@deltrak.demon.co.uk (Andrew Stephenson)
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Has anyone solved this problem or one like it, please?
    > >
    > > My Canon S70 digital camera records images on CompactFlash cards.

    > > I could copy everything to the computer and take the
    > > hit of reformatting every time; but this feels sloppy.

    > Re-formatting in the camera is a *good* thing-
    > quick & clean. Isn't this better than moving
    > images from cfcard > computer which is a COPY
    > followed by a DELETE of each file which requires
    > writing to the card? [...]

    Yes, fair point. The S70's "reformat" command is in a reasonably
    easily accessible part of that camera's menu system.

    A general BTW: when I posted "Memory Storage...", I should of
    course have written "Mass Storage Device..."
    --
    Andrew Stephenson

  10. Re: Accessing CompactFlash memory cards via USB

    On Wed, 18 May 2005 15:48:21 UTC, Stuart Gray
    wrote:

    > At a guess, it has something to do with the extended attributes file
    > which OS/2 puts on the disk by default. I don't know how to stop that,

    It's easy: don't use the WPS to open the drive.

    Even when you use the drive under WPS you may close the WPS object and
    "remove 'ea data. sf'" and 'wp root. sf' from the main directory.
    Both are recreated the next time the WPS touches the drive.

    > however. What filesystem does the camera use? (FAT, FAT32?)

    FAT32

    --
    Tschau/Bye
    Herbert

    eComStation 1.2 Deutsch ist da!

  11. Re: Accessing CompactFlash memory cards via USB

    In article <3807796068@f59.n310.z2.ftn>
    Harald_Punkt_Pollack@gmx_Punkt_at "Harald Pollack" writes:

    > Servus Andrew!
    >
    > [...]

    Okay, Harald, here's your return serve...

    You may have a news-feed that is just a little slow. The Usenet
    group-mind evolved the strategy you recommend. But thank you for
    coming forward with it. A supporting vote is welcome.
    --
    Andrew Stephenson

  12. Re: Accessing CompactFlash memory cards via USB

    On Thu, 19 May 2005 17:54:39 UTC, "Herbert Rosenau"
    wrote:

    > > however. What filesystem does the camera use? (FAT, FAT32?)

    > FAT32

    My Nikon uses FAT with a CF card.

    --
    John Varela
    (Trade "OLD" lamps for "NEW" for email.)

  13. Re: Accessing CompactFlash memory cards via USB

    In article nix@nix.de "Tom"
    writes:

    > Try Fotoget/2 [...]

    Okay, I have now had a chance to look at Fotoget/2. The problem,
    as I see it, is that I must already be able to mount the camera
    as a drive. Unfortunately, just connecting the camera's USB port
    to the computer with the supplied cable does not enable the LVM
    "refresh" to find anything there. Canon supply driver s/ware for
    owners of OS-X and Windwoes machines. So it looks as if the use
    of Fotoget/2 is not possible. But thanks for the suggestion.
    --
    Andrew Stephenson

  14. Re: Accessing CompactFlash memory cards via USB

    Hi Andrew:

    NEWS FLASH!

    I just had the WPS write on to my CF card and screw
    it up. However, I was able to successfully restore it,
    so that my camera read the card again.

    For awhile, I used to be able to delete the "EA
    DATA.SF" file on my other computer, but that method
    didn't often work, and I didn't pursue it.

    Tonight, I tried it again, and I had no problem.
    What I did, was in the CF directory, "attrib -r -s -h
    ea*" and "del ea*" and then turn the power off. I then
    closed all the WPS related windows, and removed and
    re-inserted the CF card. I then turned it on, and
    after a few seconds ran "del ea*" again, which worked.
    You have to keep the "del" command queued to run, as it
    has a very small time window where it usually works
    before the WPS initialises the drive, and locks the
    file again.

    The net result was the drive was not readable at
    all, but a "chkdsk /f" fixed that so my camera once
    again read the CF drive.

    lin Baden

    DCIM 05-05-20 18:53
    EA DATA SF 12288 05-05-20 19:41
    2 file(s) 12288 bytes used
    252080128 bytes free

    [G:\]del ea*
    G:\EA DATA. SF
    SYS0032: The process cannot access the file because it is being used
    by another process.

    /* here is where I turned the power off, and reinserted
    the CF card*/

    [G:\]del ea*

    /*the first time the card was not powered, so I ran it
    again. "timing is everything"*/

    [G:\]del ea*

    [G:\]dir

    The volume label in drive G is CANON_DC.
    The Volume Serial Number is 075F:0EB5.
    Directory of G:\

    SYS0281: The extended attribute system file cannot be opened.

    [G:\]

    In <1116428341snz@deltrak.demon.co.uk>, ames@deltrak.demon.co.uk (Andrew Stephenson) writes:
    >Has anyone solved this problem or one like it, please?
    >
    >My Canon S70 digital camera records images on CompactFlash cards.
    >When I load a CF card into a Zio "Dazzle" USB-2 card reader and
    >access it as a Removable Device, folders and images appear as one
    >might expect and can be read out in the usual ways. But, after
    >Ejecting the card and putting it back into the camera, the card
    >is declared corrupt and must reformatted (in the camera).
    >
    >At a pinch, I could copy everything to the computer and take the
    >hit of reformatting every time; but this feels sloppy. A better
    >engineering fix has to exist. (?)
    >
    >FWIW, I have tried GPhoto2 which looks a fine piece of s/ware but
    >(so far) does not know about the Canon S70; it sort-of recognises
    >it as (I forget the exact terminology) some generic camera type.
    >--
    >Andrew Stephenson

    Baden Kudrenecky
    baden@baden.nu
    http://baden.nu/

  15. Re: Accessing CompactFlash memory cards via USB

    In article
    baden@baden.nu "Baden Kudrenecky" writes:

    > Hi Andrew:
    >
    > NEWS FLASH!
    >
    > I just had the WPS write on to my CF card and screw
    > it up. However, I was able to successfully restore it,
    > so that my camera read the card again.
    >
    > [method snipped]

    You know, the procedure you describe has a kind of intellectual
    elegance. And it's frightfully ingenious. But may I keep to my
    CLI-only method? It appears to need fewer radical stages, like
    removing power. ;-)

    I have been going back to basics on this problem. Clearly, the
    purpose of these exercises is to allow us to recover photos from
    a memory card and put them on our OS/2 HDD -- not to leave them
    in the camera forever. So I tried this:

    * Format card in camera, to start fresh.
    * Take three photos (1 RAW, 2 JPG) with camera.
    * Transfer card to computer and read it as USB MSD.
    * To ensure card is royally screwed up, access it via PMView and
    tell PMView to create thumbnails.
    * Put card back in camera: RAW image still shows okay (presumably
    because PMView didn't know what to do with it) but the others are
    showing "Corrupt data".
    * Transfer card to USB reader.
    * Using XCOPY, copy all of card's contents to computer HDD.
    * Everything is now accessible by OS/2 -- except RAW, which still
    is a mystery to the tools I have on the computer; but if I rename
    the *.THM (thumbnail) file as *.JPG, PMView reads it (but just as
    a thumbnail, of course).

    So that's a workable data-recovery solution, for me.
    --
    Andrew Stephenson

  16. Re: Accessing CompactFlash memory cards via USB

    Here's an interesting development...

    It turns out that other people have also wondered how to move RAW
    images from digital cameras to computers. Some are streets ahead
    in the race to do something about it.

    The main contender, AFAICT, is Dave Coffin, whose excellent Unix
    app DCRAW has been ported to OS/2 by Bill Nau. My many thanks to
    both, as I now have a workable way to move all my camera's images
    onto OS/2 _and_ convert them to generic forms.

    Procedure:
    * Go to Hobbes and search for "dcraw". Download and unpack.
    * Using a USB card reader as a Mass Storage Device (use drivers
    supplied with eCS and IIRC Warp), copy image files to your HDD.
    Keep in mind: employ CLI and XCOPY, not WPS (or don't close the
    folder before EJECTing the card).
    * The RAW files can now be converted by the CLI tool DCRAW to PPM
    format, which PMView (for example) can read and convert to other
    formats. (Manipulating the RAW files is a separate matter.)
    * The DCRAW package comes with tools related to handling of RAW
    images and EXIFs.
    * Enjoy.
    --
    Andrew Stephenson

  17. Re: Accessing CompactFlash memory cards via USB

    On Saturday, in article <1116698500snz@deltrak.demon.co.uk>
    ames@deltrak.demon.co.uk "Andrew Stephenson" wrote:

    > I have been going back to basics on this problem. Clearly, the
    > purpose of these exercises is to allow us to recover photos from
    > a memory card and put them on our OS/2 HDD -- not to leave them
    > in the camera forever. So I tried this:

    I've found a different solution. Back in February I bought a Brother
    MFC620N multi-function printer/scanner/photocopier/fax from Staples, when
    it was on special offer at half-price. They have it on the same offer
    again at present; GBP99.99 for an exellent colour printer/blah/blah.

    The interesting facet is that this is a *network* printer, with its own
    LPR server inbuilt. (Although I haven't yet solved the problem of
    printing to it from OS/2: my experiments have had to go on the back-
    burner for the past four month.) Apart from the aforementioned
    functions, it also includes a "card reader" for at least five different
    types of camera memory card architectures.

    This part I *can* use from OS/2; because the "printer" incorporates an
    FTP server as well, which makes the contents of the memory card available
    to any computer on the network. So one can read images off the card
    quite happily (and, IIRC, write to the card as well).

    --
    Brian {Hamilton Kelly} bhk@dsl.co.uk
    "Je n'ai fait celle-ci plus longue que parce que je n'ai pas eu

  18. Re: Accessing CompactFlash memory cards via USB

    Brian {Hamilton Kelly} wrote:

    > This part I *can* use from OS/2; because the "printer" incorporates an
    > FTP server as well, which makes the contents of the memory card available
    > to any computer on the network. So one can read images off the card
    > quite happily (and, IIRC, write to the card as well).

    Does the FTP server hold the scanned images as well? It would be very
    useful to have a modern scanner which could be accessed via OS/2

    Stuart

  19. Re: Accessing CompactFlash memory cards via USB

    In article <20050522.2219.59976snz@dsl.co.uk>
    bhk@dsl.co.uk "Brian {Hamilton Kelly}" writes:

    > The interesting facet is that this is a *network* printer, with
    > its own LPR server inbuilt. [...] it also includes a "card
    > reader" for at least five different types of camera memory card
    > architectures.
    >
    > This part I *can* use from OS/2; because the "printer"
    > incorporates an FTP server as well, [...]

    Cunning.
    --
    Andrew Stephenson

  20. Re: Accessing CompactFlash memory cards via USB

    Captain's log. On StarDate Sun, 22 May 2005 23:19:44 +0100 (BST) received comm
    from bhk@dsl.co.uk (Brian {Hamilton Kelly}) on channel comp.os.os2.misc:

    :
    : This part I *can* use from OS/2; because the "printer" incorporates an
    : FTP server as well, which makes the contents of the memory card available
    : to any computer on the network. So one can read images off the card
    : quite happily (and, IIRC, write to the card as well).

    Cool!!

    Is it ink or laser?

    I like the fact that they networked even the card reader!

    Best regards,

    martin törnsten

    --
    http://martin.tornsten.com/