Accessing CompactFlash memory cards via USB - OS2

This is a discussion on Accessing CompactFlash memory cards via USB - OS2 ; On Monday, in article srtgrayNOT@clara.co.uk "Stuart Gray" wrote: > Brian {Hamilton Kelly} wrote: > > > This part I *can* use from OS/2; because the "printer" incorporates an > > FTP server as well, which makes the contents of the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 27 of 27

  1. Re: Accessing CompactFlash memory cards via USB

    On Monday, in article
    <1116847477.2033.0@spandrell.news.uk.clara.net>
    srtgrayNOT@clara.co.uk "Stuart Gray" wrote:

    > Brian {Hamilton Kelly} wrote:
    >
    > > This part I *can* use from OS/2; because the "printer" incorporates an
    > > FTP server as well, which makes the contents of the memory card available
    > > to any computer on the network. So one can read images off the card
    > > quite happily (and, IIRC, write to the card as well).
    > >

    > Does the FTP server hold the scanned images as well? It would be very
    > useful to have a modern scanner which could be accessed via OS/2

    I haven't tried it, but there is an option "scan to memory", which,
    SFAICS, puts scanned images onto CF or other flash memory plugged in to
    the printer/server: in which case, I'd guess that the answer might be
    yes.

    The UK offer at Staples expires on 25th May, IIRC.

    --
    Brian {Hamilton Kelly} bhk@dsl.co.uk
    "Je n'ai fait celle-ci plus longue que parce que je n'ai pas eu

  2. Re: Accessing CompactFlash memory cards via USB

    On Tuesday, in article
    <0ik4911vfm3n9869imgsia97krjvi46jrc@4ax.com>
    martinot@gmail.com "Martin Törnsten" wrote:

    > Captain's log. On StarDate Sun, 22 May 2005 23:19:44 +0100 (BST) received comm
    > from bhk@dsl.co.uk (Brian {Hamilton Kelly}) on channel comp.os.os2.misc:
    >
    > : The interesting facet is that this is a *network* printer, with its own
    > : LPR server inbuilt. (Although I haven't yet solved the problem of
    > : printing to it from OS/2: my experiments have had to go on the back-
    > : burner for the past four month.) Apart from the aforementioned
    > : functions, it also includes a "card reader" for at least five different
    > : types of camera memory card architectures.
    > :
    > : This part I *can* use from OS/2; because the "printer" incorporates an
    > : FTP server as well, which makes the contents of the memory card available
    > : to any computer on the network. So one can read images off the card
    > : quite happily (and, IIRC, write to the card as well).
    >
    > Cool!!
    >
    > Is it ink or laser?

    Inkjet; four separate cartridges. With a ridiculously high resolution
    (haven't got the documentation to hand, but IIRC it's 2400x6000 dpi).

    > I like the fact that they networked even the card reader!

    Yep; that's certainly a good feature. I'm currently intending to start
    capturing traffic from Windoze machines on the LAN to the LPR server to
    see exactly what gets sent for any document: according to the SNMP tool
    for managing the printer, it has six differently named queues, at least
    some of which suggest it supports PostScript, yet I cannot print to it
    from OS/2 with SLPR.

    So three months ago I got tcpdump and IPSpy and installed them, but
    immediately became too busy actually to do the capture and analysis;
    doubtless I'll eventually find a supply of round tuits :-)

    --
    Brian {Hamilton Kelly} bhk@dsl.co.uk
    "Je n'ai fait celle-ci plus longue que parce que je n'ai pas eu
    le loisir de la faire plus courte."
    Blaise Pascal, /Lettres Provinciales/, 1657

  3. Re: Accessing CompactFlash memory cards via USB

    Andrew Stephenson wrote:
    > Okay, I have now had a chance to look at Fotoget/2. The problem,
    > as I see it, is that I must already be able to mount the camera
    > as a drive. Unfortunately, just connecting the camera's USB port
    > to the computer with the supplied cable does not enable the LVM
    > "refresh" to find anything there. Canon supply driver s/ware for
    > owners of OS-X and Windwoes machines. So it looks as if the use
    > of Fotoget/2 is not possible. But thanks for the suggestion.

    At least on OS X with my Canon SD400, drivers aren't necessary (or
    installed). Canon does provide some application support, but any OS X
    user can plug the camera in without installing anything from Canon, and
    use it immediately via either Image Capture (which is built into OS X)
    or iPhoto.

    There is in fact a USB protocol standard for communicating with digital
    cameras.

    Of course, what most digital photography software is actually looking
    for is mounter devices with a DCIM directory on them. If you plug your
    CF card into a card reader, for most photo transfer software this is the
    equivalent to plugging in the camera itself.

    I have no experience with Fotoget/2, but don't write it off too quickly
    just because Canon provides OS X and Windows software with their cameras .

    Brad BARCLAY

  4. Re: Accessing CompactFlash memory cards via USB

    In article
    bbarclay@jsyncmanager.org "Brad BARCLAY" writes:

    > Andrew Stephenson wrote:
    > > Okay, I have now had a chance to look at Fotoget/2. The problem,
    > > as I see it, is that I must already be able to mount the camera
    > > as a drive. Unfortunately, just connecting the camera's USB port
    > > to the computer with the supplied cable does not enable the LVM
    > > "refresh" to find anything there. Canon supply driver s/ware for
    > > owners of OS-X and Windwoes machines. So it looks as if the use
    > > of Fotoget/2 is not possible. But thanks for the suggestion.

    > [...]
    >
    > I have no experience with Fotoget/2, but don't write it off too
    > quickly just because Canon provides OS X and Windows software
    > with their cameras .

    If that's how it came across, it was entirely unintentional. The
    two statements were meant to stay unentangled. Basic USB drivers
    supplied with eCS-1.2 (and maybe Warp?) can work with a MSD fine
    (as you say, the PS S70's card root level has a DCIM directory).
    The camera declares itself as something else, which foxes FG/2.

    This has long struck me as plain foolishness: why cannot cameras
    start as MSDs and be allowed to accept a command which switches
    them to being camera-devices (or whatever the right term is), so
    they can be commanded to do other things? This would cover many
    more practical cases. Perhaps mode-switching is not a USB Thing.
    --
    Andrew Stephenson

  5. Re: Accessing CompactFlash memory cards via USB

    Andrew Stephenson wrote:

    > This has long struck me as plain foolishness: why cannot cameras
    > start as MSDs and be allowed to accept a command which switches
    > them to being camera-devices (or whatever the right term is), so
    > they can be commanded to do other things? This would cover many
    > more practical cases. Perhaps mode-switching is not a USB Thing.

    Cameras can ;-) -- when I connect my Olympus E-300, its display shows a
    menu that lets me choose between 'storage', 'control', 'print' and
    'exit'. 'Storage' turns it to an MSD, 'control' activates features like
    operating the camera by computer and updating the camera's (or the
    lenses' or the flash's) firmware. One could still wish for a platform
    independent firmware update feature, though.

    Cheers.
    Robert

  6. Re: Accessing CompactFlash memory cards via USB

    In article rs@iemp.net "Robert Schroeder" writes:

    > Andrew Stephenson wrote:
    >
    > > This has long struck me as plain foolishness: why cannot cameras
    > > start as MSDs and be allowed to accept a command which switches
    > > them to being camera-devices (or whatever the right term is), so
    > > they can be commanded to do other things? This would cover many
    > > more practical cases. Perhaps mode-switching is not a USB Thing.

    > Cameras can ;-) -- when I connect my Olympus E-300, its display shows a
    > menu that lets me choose between 'storage', 'control', 'print' and
    > 'exit'. 'Storage' turns it to an MSD, 'control' activates features like
    > operating the camera by computer and updating the camera's (or the
    > lenses' or the flash's) firmware.

    Must be a Canon Thing, then.

    > One could still wish for a platform independent firmware update
    > feature, though.

    I thought of one the other day and suggested it to Canon's tech
    people here in the UK -- which means absolutely nothing will ever
    be done about it.

    Essentially: download a file containing the firmware update; put
    that on the camera's (or printer's -- or _any_ device which uses
    them) memory card; load card into camera and switch on; wait for
    camera to notice the update file, validate it, check versions &c,
    then update itself; carry on using the camera. Easy enough?
    --
    Andrew Stephenson

  7. Re: Accessing CompactFlash memory cards via USB

    Well, based on this thread I got myself a Brother MFC-3820CN from eBay.
    It is similar to the fax/printer mentioned, and I can confirm that
    with a CF card in the media slot, it is possible to scan to the card,
    and read that card via FTP. The document is turned into a PDF file
    (says it is v1.3), and although the quality is fairly low on first test,
    I will try to improve it. The printer should work under OS/2 as well
    (the manual even mentions Warp Server!)

    The network adapter can have a fixed IP or use DHCP (as here), and there
    are other options too. At last, a scanner with document feeder that I
    can use under OS/2 (eCS 1.2 here)!

    Stuart

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2