New API included in eComStation - OS2

This is a discussion on New API included in eComStation - OS2 ; In , on 04/12/2005 at 09:29 PM, "Frank Wochatz" said: >> Frank I'm just about ready to put Designer 4.1 on Limewire so you will stop whining about it not working. Will that make you happy? >Is Designer 4.1 a ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Results 61 to 67 of 67

  1. Re: New API included in eComStation

    In , on 04/12/2005
    at 09:29 PM, "Frank Wochatz" said:

    >> Frank I'm just about ready to put Designer 4.1 on Limewire so you will stop whining about it not working. Will that make you happy?

    >Is Designer 4.1 a native OS/2 application as well as Designer 3.1?

    No. And there has *never been an OS2 version of Micrografx Designer. --> I think there was an early OS2 issue of Draw, which might be what you are thinking of -- but never Designer. I think I told you or someone this before.

    Designer 4.1 was the last Win3.1 version of Designer. Its the best you are going get for a powerful graphics illustration program that runs without a problem on OS2. In fact I think it was designed to ported to OS2 and has considerable multi-threading built into it. Its always seem to run faster in Winos2 then it ever did on any version of Windows.

    >I have the Win16 version already here, but I'm running PROTECTONLY=YES
    >(no windows / DOS support).

    Well if you have to run your machine that way, then you have to live with what you are using and which you say doesn't work.

    >But I can live without Designer 3.1, its not the problem (Impos/2 is the
    >bigger problem).

    I have no idea what that is. I don't use Impos.

    >My intention was to talk about how to handle APIs and compatibilty in
    >future.
    >Instead of new installers and desktop enhancements of eCs 1.2, I would
    >prefer to see some bug fixes in upcoming OS/2 - eCs versions, e.g. a
    >fixed GRADD bug.
    >Or alternatevly ONE new graphic card driver, which will work with ONE
    >graphic board correctly, instead of a univeral graphic card driver based
    >on GRADD. Or fixes and PPD-documention for the PostScript printer
    >driver. Thats what I would expect from eCs: to bundle the whole SOHO
    >OS/2 users to one large account and then knocking on IBMs door and ask
    >for bug fixes. At this moment I have the feeling that eCs will be the
    >coolest desktop, but you can't something work with it. Missing apps,
    >missing or half-working drivers, old OS/2 bugs not fixed, new bugs
    >introduced - but a very cool styling, and now new APIs.

    Did you ever try just putting in another video card and seeing if the problems go away?

    >regards

  2. Re: New API included in eComStation

    On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 14:53:24 UTC, letoured@nospam.net wrote:

    > In , on 04/12/2005
    > at 09:29 PM, "Frank Wochatz" said:
    >

    > >> Frank I'm just about ready to put Designer 4.1 on Limewire so you will stop whining about it not working. Will that make you happy?

    > >Is Designer 4.1 a native OS/2 application as well as Designer 3.1?

    > No. And there has *never been an OS2 version of Micrografx Designer. --> I think there was an early OS2 issue of Draw, which might be what you are thinking of -- but never Designer. I think I told you or someone this before.

    Yes, you told me that, but it was completly wrong.
    Here is the screenshot for you:
    http://www.subsys.de/gif/designer1.gif

    Maybe not all what you don't know does not exist.

    Designer is a mirror port, if you heared something about.
    Draw is another application.

    > Designer 4.1 was the last Win3.1 version of Designer. Its the best you are going get for a powerful graphics illustration program that runs without a problem on OS2. In fact I think it was designed to ported to OS2 and has considerable multi-threading built into it. Its always seem to run faster in Winos2 then it ever did on any version of Windows.
    >

    > >I have the Win16 version already here, but I'm running PROTECTONLY=YES
    > >(no windows / DOS support).

    > Well if you have to run your machine that way, then you have to live with what you are using and which you say doesn't work.
    >

    > >But I can live without Designer 3.1, its not the problem (Impos/2 is the
    > >bigger problem).

    > I have no idea what that is. I don't use Impos.

    IMPOS/2 is a bitmap manipulation program. I think it is the best one
    for OS/2.
    http://www.os2ezine.com/xmas96/impos2.htm
    There is a demo at Hobbes.

    > >My intention was to talk about how to handle APIs and compatibilty in
    > >future.
    > >Instead of new installers and desktop enhancements of eCs 1.2, I would
    > >prefer to see some bug fixes in upcoming OS/2 - eCs versions, e.g. a
    > >fixed GRADD bug.
    > >Or alternatevly ONE new graphic card driver, which will work with ONE
    > >graphic board correctly, instead of a univeral graphic card driver based
    > >on GRADD. Or fixes and PPD-documention for the PostScript printer
    > >driver. Thats what I would expect from eCs: to bundle the whole SOHO
    > >OS/2 users to one large account and then knocking on IBMs door and ask
    > >for bug fixes. At this moment I have the feeling that eCs will be the
    > >coolest desktop, but you can't something work with it. Missing apps,
    > >missing or half-working drivers, old OS/2 bugs not fixed, new bugs
    > >introduced - but a very cool styling, and now new APIs.

    > Did you ever try just putting in another video card and seeing if the problems go away?

    The problem in IMPOS/2 is GRADD, in Designer there are the same
    symptoms, so I think ist also Gradd. In Impos I'm very sure.
    We have discussed this in german newsgroups and web boards, and also
    with Scitech.
    The problem occurs only on Gradd based drivers. I have a Elsa Gloria
    Synergy and have tested both, the 'native' Elsa driver and Scitechs
    universal driver.
    Both are completly different, but Gradd based. Some other folks have
    tested with Snap and Matrox cards - same problem.
    The problem is away after switching to the original Matrox driver,
    which is not Gradd based. Unfortunately there are other problems in
    other apps with matrox...

    --
    Frank Wochatz

  3. Re: New API included in eComStation

    In , on 04/10/2005
    at 02:15 AM, rsteiner@visi.com (Richard Steiner) said:

    >Precisely. And thanks to VDMs, WinOS2, Odin, Executor, and various
    >ports of POSIX software, OS/2 is still able to run a large number of
    >useful programs.

    I don't use them; I run native OS/2 applications. Now if I could get
    ports of those to Linux, . . .

    reply to spamtrap@library.lspace.org

  4. Re: New API included in eComStation

    Here in comp.os.os2.misc,
    "Frank Wochatz" spake unto us, saying:

    >IMPOS/2 is a bitmap manipulation program. I think it is the best one
    >for OS/2.

    Better than Embellish or ColorWorks? Maybe I should take a look.

    (I'm downloading the demo from Hobbes as I type, and I'll take a look
    at it tomorrow...)

    --
    -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Smyrna, GA USA
    The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

  5. Re: New API included in eComStation

    Here in comp.os.os2.misc,
    "Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz"
    spake unto us, saying:

    >In , on 04/10/2005
    > at 02:15 AM, rsteiner@visi.com (Richard Steiner) said:
    >
    >>Precisely. And thanks to VDMs, WinOS2, Odin, Executor, and various
    >>ports of POSIX software, OS/2 is still able to run a large number of
    >>useful programs.

    >I don't use them; I run native OS/2 applications. Now if I could get
    >ports of those to Linux, . . .

    The main ones I'd miss are Embellish and Yarn, but the Windows version
    of those might well run under Wine (and the DOS version of the latter
    runs under DOSEMU). There are several more, though.

    --
    -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Smyrna, GA USA
    The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

  6. Re: New API included in eComStation

    David T. Johnson wrote:
    > Jeramie Samphere wrote:
    >
    >> David T. Johnson wrote:
    >>
    >>> Interesting post. Personally, I would prefer the 'standard OS/2'
    >>> method for security reasons but that's probably a minor point if you
    >>> alrady have a hostile REXX-ware running on your system. Your post,
    >>> however, seems like you are advocating what you seem to feel is a
    >>> significant feature of 'eCS' here in these newsgroups. For what
    >>> reason are you doing that? Every one of the handful of readers here
    >>> has either already bought 'eCS' or probably never will. If you
    >>> really want to evangelize for 'eCS' why not do it somewhere where
    >>> there might be some people who are interested? The single biggest
    >>> thing holding back progress in 'eCS' is its miniscule user base which
    >>> seems to be mostly just a small band of former OS/2 users. Why not
    >>> reach out to Windows, Mac, and Linux users rather than spend your
    >>> time trading posts here with OS/2 users? Wouldn't that be more
    >>> helpful to the eCS you seem to like?

    >> This avenue is being pursued! The foundation needs to be laid first
    >> before the store can be put up!

    > You didn't respond to my questions. Why are you here advocating eCS to
    > a small group of users who has either already bought eCS or probably
    > never will? Second, why aren't you advocating 'eCS' somewhere where
    > there might be some interested Windows, Mac, or Linux users?

    This is complete nonsense in this context. Why would Mac, Windows, or
    Linux users care that we have a REXX plugin DLL? That's not going to
    make someone switch an operating system.

  7. Re: New API included in eComStation

    Jason Bowen wrote:
    > Throw me in your list Jeramie. You're the umpteen person asking for
    > this in the past 10 years, you're a little late to the party. This is
    > the equivalent of public street corner. If you want a public moderated
    > forum use comp.os.os2.moderated or else filter me out.

    Well now you've done it. You've pissed off the Hobbes Thief. ;-(

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4