FP5 and eCSMT - OS2

This is a discussion on FP5 and eCSMT - OS2 ; I don't know if Chuck browses this group or not, but I thought I'd add some comments here. I just installed FP5 via the maintenance tool. It went on smoothly with one exception. It looks like a few of the ...

  1. FP5 and eCSMT

    I don't know if Chuck browses this group or not, but I thought I'd add
    some comments here.

    I just installed FP5 via the maintenance tool. It went on smoothly with
    one exception. It looks like a few of the device drivers were moved out
    of the \os2\boot directory and into a different location. That would
    have been completely transparent to me except that the maintenance tool
    missed a spot in my config.sys. It wound up loading UDF from the new
    location, but also still kept the line in config.sys to load it from the
    old location as well. Other than that (which was just an error message
    on bootup, not actually a failure to load a driver), everything went
    smoothly.

    One other issue I thought I'd mention is that any modifications made by
    the maintenance tool are not reflected in the "command prompt only"
    config.sys file (\os2\boot\config.x). So moving the device drivers
    around causes them to fail to load in an ALT-F1 command prompt boot
    session. I think you guys should be patching up this file too in order
    to be complete and clean about it.

  2. Re: FP5 and eCSMT

    There is a special group for eCSMT on news.ecomstation.nl.
    You should report your experiences there.

    Marty wrote:
    > I don't know if Chuck browses this group or not, but I thought I'd add
    > some comments here.
    >
    > I just installed FP5 via the maintenance tool. It went on smoothly with
    > one exception. It looks like a few of the device drivers were moved out
    > of the \os2\boot directory and into a different location. That would
    > have been completely transparent to me except that the maintenance tool
    > missed a spot in my config.sys. It wound up loading UDF from the new
    > location, but also still kept the line in config.sys to load it from the
    > old location as well. Other than that (which was just an error message
    > on bootup, not actually a failure to load a driver), everything went
    > smoothly.
    >
    > One other issue I thought I'd mention is that any modifications made by
    > the maintenance tool are not reflected in the "command prompt only"
    > config.sys file (\os2\boot\config.x). So moving the device drivers
    > around causes them to fail to load in an ALT-F1 command prompt boot
    > session. I think you guys should be patching up this file too in order
    > to be complete and clean about it.

  3. Re: FP5 and eCSMT

    On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 08:56:34 UTC, Marty wrote:

    I hang out in a lot of places.

    The IFS drivers got installed to \os2\boot instead of in \os2 where IBM
    maintenance expects to find them. The old line should have gotten
    remmed out.

    Which level of the beta? I need a few more tests before I update the
    beta (hopefully today).

    --
    Chuck McKinnis
    Covenant Solutions

  4. Re: FP5 and eCSMT

    Chuck McKinnis wrote:
    > On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 08:56:34 UTC, Marty wrote:
    >
    > I hang out in a lot of places.
    >
    > The IFS drivers got installed to \os2\boot instead of in \os2 where IBM
    > maintenance expects to find them. The old line should have gotten
    > remmed out.
    >
    > Which level of the beta? I need a few more tests before I update the
    > beta (hopefully today).

    I was running 2.1.8.2e.

  5. Re: FP5 and eCSMT

    Chuck McKinnis wrote:
    > On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 08:56:34 UTC, Marty wrote:
    >
    > I hang out in a lot of places.
    >
    > The IFS drivers got installed to \os2\boot instead of in \os2 where IBM
    > maintenance expects to find them. The old line should have gotten
    > remmed out.
    >
    > Which level of the beta? I need a few more tests before I update the
    > beta (hopefully today).
    >

    >>I don't know if Chuck browses this group or not, but I thought I'd add
    >>some comments here.
    >>
    >>I just installed FP5 via the maintenance tool. It went on smoothly with
    >>one exception. It looks like a few of the device drivers were moved out
    >>of the \os2\boot directory and into a different location. That would
    >>have been completely transparent to me except that the maintenance tool
    >>missed a spot in my config.sys. It wound up loading UDF from the new
    >>location, but also still kept the line in config.sys to load it from the
    >>old location as well. Other than that (which was just an error message
    >>on bootup, not actually a failure to load a driver), everything went
    >>smoothly.
    >>
    >>One other issue I thought I'd mention is that any modifications made by
    >>the maintenance tool are not reflected in the "command prompt only"
    >>config.sys file (\os2\boot\config.x). So moving the device drivers
    >>around causes them to fail to load in an ALT-F1 command prompt boot
    >>session. I think you guys should be patching up this file too in order
    >>to be complete and clean about it.

    Mine remmed the one in os2\boot so I didn't know about it until I booted
    to command prompt. It understand why you went with the os2 directory
    but would have preferred the boot directory where it seems such things
    should be.
    Andy

  6. Re: FP5 and eCSMT

    I don't even see the FP5 update using ECSMT.

    Marty wrote:
    > I don't know if Chuck browses this group or not, but I thought I'd add
    > some comments here.
    >
    > I just installed FP5 via the maintenance tool. It went on smoothly with
    > one exception. It looks like a few of the device drivers were moved out
    > of the \os2\boot directory and into a different location. That would
    > have been completely transparent to me except that the maintenance tool
    > missed a spot in my config.sys. It wound up loading UDF from the new
    > location, but also still kept the line in config.sys to load it from the
    > old location as well. Other than that (which was just an error message
    > on bootup, not actually a failure to load a driver), everything went
    > smoothly.
    >
    > One other issue I thought I'd mention is that any modifications made by
    > the maintenance tool are not reflected in the "command prompt only"
    > config.sys file (\os2\boot\config.x). So moving the device drivers
    > around causes them to fail to load in an ALT-F1 command prompt boot
    > session. I think you guys should be patching up this file too in order
    > to be complete and clean about it.

    --
    M Greene Voice Memeber #1356 (ICQ:319474014)

    IRC (MikeG):
    irc.va.webbnet.info #os/2 #learnc++ #os/2warp irc.ecomstation.com #eCS

    OS/2 Stuff : http://members.cox.net/greenemk/os2/
    My OpenWatcom : http://members.cox.net/mikeos2/

  7. Re: FP5 and eCSMT

    Michael Greene wrote:
    > I don't even see the FP5 update using ECSMT.

    Get a recent beta of eCSMT. It hasn't gone "gold" yet. Get it from the
    web site for now.