How to stop 1.2's multimedia being the default player? - OS2

This is a discussion on How to stop 1.2's multimedia being the default player? - OS2 ; Could someone remind me, please: how does one stop the system's multimedia player being the default? I have been downloading a few MP3s. Having to change the "Open As" Properties setting soon became rather(!) boring. ISTR this bug is shared ...

  1. How to stop 1.2's multimedia being the default player?

    Could someone remind me, please: how does one stop the system's
    multimedia player being the default? I have been downloading a
    few MP3s. Having to change the "Open As" Properties setting soon
    became rather(!) boring.

    ISTR this bug is shared with Warp, due to both being OS/2, but I
    cannot recall the fix. Henk Kelder's "Association Editor" 1.2,
    despite its many good qualities, could not help.
    --
    Andrew Stephenson

  2. Re: How to stop 1.2's multimedia being the default player?

    Sir:

    Andrew Stephenson wrote:
    > Could someone remind me, please: how does one stop the system's
    > multimedia player being the default? I have been downloading a
    > few MP3s. Having to change the "Open As" Properties setting soon
    > became rather(!) boring.
    >
    > ISTR this bug is shared with Warp, due to both being OS/2, but I
    > cannot recall the fix. Henk Kelder's "Association Editor" 1.2,
    > despite its many good qualities, could not help.

    You'll have to uninstall/deregister the multimedia class responsible for
    mp3. Look in Chris Wohlgemuth's cwmm classes for a example how-to or
    the file in \MMOS2\INSTALL (MCP) called instmmvw.cmd, which if run with
    -R will remove many classes. Don't know if that last file is on eCS 1.2...
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  3. Re: How to stop 1.2's multimedia being the default player?

    In article
    wlhartzell@comcast.net "William L. Hartzell" writes:

    > You'll have to uninstall/deregister the multimedia class
    > responsible for mp3. Look in Chris Wohlgemuth's cwmm classes
    > for a example how-to or the file in \MMOS2\INSTALL (MCP) called
    > instmmvw.cmd, which if run with -R will remove many classes.
    > Don't know if that last file is on eCS 1.2...

    Doesn't seem to be. That directory has 22 objects, mostly icons;
    you can almost hear the echoes. Thanks for the thought, though.

    What seems like aeons back, whilst running Warp, I tried out some
    early version of Chris' multimedia classes. Installation seemed
    to queer my setup which stalled my enthusiasm at the time. Would
    you and Chris be very offended if I awaited other viewpoints? If
    nothing interesting happens, I'll hunt down the latest version.

    Getting rid of those bl**dy hard-wired classes would seem a smart
    idea all round: image viewer, audio players... Are there others?
    Why can't they be handled like other workaday file associations?
    --
    Andrew Stephenson

  4. Re: How to stop 1.2's multimedia being the default player?

    In article <1110853129snz@deltrak.demon.co.uk>
    ames@deltrak.demon.co.uk "Andrew Stephenson" writes:

    > In article
    > wlhartzell@comcast.net "William L. Hartzell" writes:
    >
    > > You'll have to uninstall/deregister the multimedia class
    > > responsible for mp3. Look in Chris Wohlgemuth's cwmm classes
    > > for a example how-to or the file in \MMOS2\INSTALL (MCP) called
    > > instmmvw.cmd, which if run with -R will remove many classes.
    > > Don't know if that last file is on eCS 1.2...

    Update on this...

    I tracked down Chris W's Multimedia Classes and found the first
    phase of their installation performs a deregistration of the MM
    classes that come with eCS-1.2.

    (In fact, I get the impression -- possibly supported by reading
    it somewhere -- that eCS-1.2 now uses Chris' package, which may
    explain the absence of instmmvw.cmd from \MMOS2\INSTALL.)

    One begins the installation (after reading Readme.1st) by running
    Runme1st.cmd; then one restarts the WPS as advised. This appears
    to splat the built-in classes. As I now use third-party apps for
    image files and commonplace sound files, I'll try it this way for
    a while. (Ah-h-h, the simple life!)

    It is such a pity that OS/2's built-in stuff (arrogantly) assumes
    _it_ must always come first. As a result the huge amount of work
    put into creating and supplying these features becomes wasted, an
    obstacle to easy use. From the start there should have been some
    very simple means to let other class handlers(?) take precedence,
    not via objects' Properties. ISTR every fix of such problems has
    required some savvy person to build a search-and-destroy tool for
    us non-savvy OS/2 users. (But I _am_ glad it's possible to clean
    out the stables.)

    Anyhow -- thanks again for the advice, people. (And thanks to CW
    for providing the de-registerer.)
    --
    Andrew Stephenson

+ Reply to Thread