Mr. Message (AIM client) 3/6/2005 update - OS2

This is a discussion on Mr. Message (AIM client) 3/6/2005 update - OS2 ; Mr. Message for OS/2 is an instant messenger client which is capable of communicating over AOL's Instant Messenger network using the OSCAR protocol (used in the Win32 AIM clients, jBuddy, gAIM, Kopete, ICQ, and a variety of other clients). It ...

  1. Mr. Message (AIM client) 3/6/2005 update

    Mr. Message for OS/2 is an instant messenger client which is capable of
    communicating over AOL's Instant Messenger network using the OSCAR
    protocol (used in the Win32 AIM clients, jBuddy, gAIM, Kopete, ICQ, and
    a variety of other clients).

    It has been updated with the following changes:

    * Added REXX plugin interface for each Mr. Message event.
    Can control Mr. Message through "ADDRESS MrMessage" in a REXX script.
    See ReadMe.REXX for more information on this interface.
    * Added support for message acknowledgements.
    * Fixed the typing notification icon changes, so that the notification
    is reset to "nothing typed" immediately after an IM is sent.
    * Fixed to stop sending a "nothing typed" notification after sending an
    IM, since it is assumed on the receiving side.
    * Fixed the IM popup window so that the "Send" button is disabled when
    there is no text immediately after sending an IM.
    * Fixed printing the garbage to the debug log if the name of a sound had
    changed while the sound was playing.

    To download, please visit the new official Mr. Message web page:
    http://mamodeo.dyndns.org/MrMessage

    If anyone has any new suggestions for the new REXX interface or has
    written some REXX scripts that they think can be generally useful, I'd
    love to hear about them.

    I will continue to post updates to USENET as well as updating the web page.

  2. Re: Mr. Message (AIM client) 3/6/2005 update

    Hi Marty,

    Love the Spaceballs pic on the website. You know, you seem to be one of
    the few vocal OS/2 coders out there. I say vocal in that there may very
    well be others working on various projects but none seem to be as active
    in the c.o.o. hierarchy as you. Have you ever thought of soliciting for
    help or has it ever been offered?

    Marty wrote:
    > Mr. Message for OS/2 is an instant messenger client which is capable of
    > communicating over AOL's Instant Messenger network using the OSCAR
    > protocol (used in the Win32 AIM clients, jBuddy, gAIM, Kopete, ICQ, and
    > a variety of other clients).
    >
    > It has been updated with the following changes:
    >
    > * Added REXX plugin interface for each Mr. Message event.
    > Can control Mr. Message through "ADDRESS MrMessage" in a REXX script.
    > See ReadMe.REXX for more information on this interface.
    > * Added support for message acknowledgements.
    > * Fixed the typing notification icon changes, so that the notification
    > is reset to "nothing typed" immediately after an IM is sent.
    > * Fixed to stop sending a "nothing typed" notification after sending an
    > IM, since it is assumed on the receiving side.
    > * Fixed the IM popup window so that the "Send" button is disabled when
    > there is no text immediately after sending an IM.
    > * Fixed printing the garbage to the debug log if the name of a sound had
    > changed while the sound was playing.
    >

    > To download, please visit the new official Mr. Message web page:
    > http://mamodeo.dyndns.org/MrMessage
    >
    > If anyone has any new suggestions for the new REXX interface or has
    > written some REXX scripts that they think can be generally useful, I'd
    > love to hear about them.
    >
    > I will continue to post updates to USENET as well as updating the web page.

  3. Re: Mr. Message (AIM client) 3/6/2005 update

    Jason Bowen wrote:
    > Hi Marty,
    >
    > Love the Spaceballs pic on the website. You know, you seem to be one of
    > the few vocal OS/2 coders out there. I say vocal in that there may very
    > well be others working on various projects but none seem to be as active
    > in the c.o.o. hierarchy as you. Have you ever thought of soliciting for
    > help or has it ever been offered?

    Most OS/2 coders out there submit their stuff directly to an OS/2 news
    site rather than posting to USENET. Either that or they just upload
    their stuff directly to Hobbes. I like USENET because it builds in a
    mechanism for users to respond with suggestions or problems in a way
    that other users can see as well. I enjoy private correspondence with
    users, but there are few things worse than goofing up something and
    having a few hundred people all tell you about it. :-)

    As far as assistance goes, I've had plenty of kind offers over the years
    for web space and things of that nature. In terms of the coding itself,
    I actually prefer to work alone, at least on the core stuff. I was more
    than glad to accept Aaron's gracious donation of his Rich Text viewer,
    and I'd like to see other users and coders making use of, and
    recommending additions for the new REXX interface, but I'd like to keep
    control of the core. Of course, if someone has made a valuable addition
    to the core code, I'd like to incorporate it too, but I'd want to make
    sure it was consistent with my "vision" for the project.

  4. Re: Mr. Message (AIM client) 3/6/2005 update

    What would it take to get Mr. Message to work with Yahoo Messaging
    Service also?

  5. Re: Mr. Message (AIM client) 3/6/2005 update

    jksamphere@os2ecs.org wrote:
    > What would it take to get Mr. Message to work with Yahoo Messaging
    > Service also?

    It doesn't support multiple protocols at present. It is intended to be
    a full-feature AIM implementation first. ICQ came along for free since
    they both use the same underlying protocol (with some minor variations).
    I believe YIM is a different protocol completely, but I haven't look
    into the matter.

    My plan is to eventually branch out to other protocols, but I want the
    AIM implementation to be complete first. Supporting other protocols
    would also require a bit of reorganization of the code, since the AIM
    protocol is currently fairly tightly coupled with the GUI. I don't
    think that will be a major undertaking, but it will take a bit of work.
    After that is done, I'd need some reliable documentation on the
    protocol to implement it. That has been the most difficult part of the
    project so far.

  6. Re: Mr. Message (AIM client) 3/6/2005 update

    Marty wrote:
    > jksamphere@os2ecs.org wrote:
    >
    >> What would it take to get Mr. Message to work with Yahoo Messaging
    >> Service also?

    > It doesn't support multiple protocols at present. It is intended to be
    > a full-feature AIM implementation first. ICQ came along for free since
    > they both use the same underlying protocol (with some minor variations).
    > I believe YIM is a different protocol completely, but I haven't look
    > into the matter.
    >
    > My plan is to eventually branch out to other protocols, but I want the
    > AIM implementation to be complete first. Supporting other protocols
    > would also require a bit of reorganization of the code, since the AIM
    > protocol is currently fairly tightly coupled with the GUI. I don't
    > think that will be a major undertaking, but it will take a bit of work.
    > After that is done, I'd need some reliable documentation on the
    > protocol to implement it. That has been the most difficult part of the
    > project so far.

    Did you hear about the new EULA for Aim? Anything you send over it is
    their property.

  7. Re: Mr. Message (AIM client) 3/6/2005 update

    On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 01:49:10 UTC jksamphere@os2ecs.org wrote:

    > What would it take to get Mr. Message to work with Yahoo Messaging
    > Service also?

    Have you looked at Jabber / Jeti ?

    http://www.ehlertronic.de/jeti2.htm

    CU/2
    --
    Frank Beythien fBeythien AT gmx.de

  8. Re: Mr. Message (AIM client) 3/6/2005 update

    Jason wrote:
    > Marty wrote:
    >
    >> jksamphere@os2ecs.org wrote:
    >>
    >>> What would it take to get Mr. Message to work with Yahoo Messaging
    >>> Service also?

    >> It doesn't support multiple protocols at present. It is intended to
    >> be a full-feature AIM implementation first. ICQ came along for free
    >> since they both use the same underlying protocol (with some minor
    >> variations). I believe YIM is a different protocol completely, but I
    >> haven't look into the matter.
    >>
    >> My plan is to eventually branch out to other protocols, but I want the
    >> AIM implementation to be complete first. Supporting other protocols
    >> would also require a bit of reorganization of the code, since the AIM
    >> protocol is currently fairly tightly coupled with the GUI. I don't
    >> think that will be a major undertaking, but it will take a bit of
    >> work. After that is done, I'd need some reliable documentation on the
    >> protocol to implement it. That has been the most difficult part of
    >> the project so far.

    > Did you hear about the new EULA for Aim? Anything you send over it is
    > their property.

    Same is true for YIM, I believe, as well as Yahoo e-mail. Basically, if
    you're going to use somebody else's server to communicate, you're
    subject to that. However, the odds that they're going to pick up and
    monitor your particular stream of information are quite low.
    Furthermore, the validity of such clauses in the EULA is highly
    questionable and no issue has brought them to challenge yet (which
    indicates to me that it hasn't been exercised yet).