M$ Office file tips? - OS2

This is a discussion on M$ Office file tips? - OS2 ; On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 11:36:30 +0200, piesse wrote: > I see that IBM/lotus is shipping symphony again. It is free for > noncommercial use and looks based on OO more than on the previous > product (the spreadsheet is ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 23 of 23

  1. Re: M$ Office file tips?

    On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 11:36:30 +0200, piesse wrote:

    > I see that IBM/lotus is shipping symphony again. It is free for
    > noncommercial use and looks based on OO more than on the previous
    > product (the spreadsheet is not even called 123 anymore, and has not the
    > "/" menu - I haven't tried the @ functions) In any case, hoping for an
    > os/2 release from them would be just futile, I guess.

    It's still a beta though and apparently is still a bit clunky and
    to get it you have to jump through hoops and tell them everything
    but your shoe size! Typical IBM, don't make it easy to try their
    software! I'm hoping it will be able to read WordPro files and
    convert them.

    Wayne
    --
    Registered Linux user #375994
    http://www.geocities.jp/rondonko/

  2. Re: M$ Office file tips?

    On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 09:39:55 +0000, Wayne wrote:

    >> I see that IBM/lotus is shipping symphony again. It is free for
    >> noncommercial use and looks based on OO more than on the previous
    >> product (the spreadsheet is not even called 123 anymore, and has not
    >> the "/" menu - I haven't tried the @ functions) In any case, hoping for
    >> an os/2 release from them would be just futile, I guess.

    > It's still a beta though and apparently is still a bit clunky and to get
    > it you have to jump through hoops and tell them everything but your shoe
    > size! Typical IBM, don't make it easy to try their software! I'm hoping
    > it will be able to read WordPro files and convert them.

    If anyone cares, it's a dog in many senses, but it is a beta so I should
    be more forgiving. It's a 213Mb download and includes a JRE for the
    installation routine, in fact, it seems to depend on Java more than
    OpenOffice. Scrollbars, etc, do not adhere to my GTK2 theme. In fact, it
    looks very Vista-ish! It requires 460Mb of disk space to install too.
    The good news is it reads my Lotus WordPro for OS/2 files so I don't
    need to install my copy of eCS 1.1 to do that now. Formatting is not
    perfect, but I'm only interested in the text.

    http://www.geocities.jp/rondonko/files/Screenshot.png

    Wayne
    --
    Registered Linux user #375994
    http://www.geocities.jp/rondonko/

  3. Re: M$ Office file tips?

    Typically I convert MS Word .doc files to text using antiword.exe
    (available from Hobbes).

    I can read .xls files using Lotus 123 for OS/2.

    Good luck,

    Nate Liskov

    --
    nate_NOSPAM@lcs.mit.edu http://nateliskov.kicks-ass.org