TB starting FF - OS2

This is a discussion on TB starting FF - OS2 ; when one clicks on a URL in TB how does it (whatever it is) know to start FF with firefox!L if that is there?...

  1. TB starting FF

    when one clicks on a URL in TB how does it (whatever it is) know to
    start FF with firefox!L if that is there?

  2. Re: TB starting FF

    On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 19:06:20 UTC, Leo Tick wrote:

    -> when one clicks on a URL in TB how does it (whatever it is) know to
    -> start FF with firefox!L if that is there?

    What worked here was to right click on a URL object, select
    properties, Select "Browser" tab, then enter the path and file name
    for firefox!L, set the correct working directory, then click on the
    "Set Default" button.

    Mark

    --
    From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

    http://www.warpstock.eu

  3. Re: TB starting FF

    Mark Dodel wrote:
    > On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 19:06:20 UTC, Leo Tick wrote:
    >
    > -> when one clicks on a URL in TB how does it (whatever it is) know to
    > -> start FF with firefox!L if that is there?
    >
    > What worked here was to right click on a URL object, select
    > properties, Select "Browser" tab, then enter the path and file name
    > for firefox!L, set the correct working directory, then click on the
    > "Set Default" button.
    >
    > Mark

    good suggestion BUT (always a but) when I right click I dont get
    andy properties item oh well!

  4. Re: TB starting FF

    On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 22:24:22 UTC, Leo Tick wrote:

    -> Mark Dodel wrote:
    -> > On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 19:06:20 UTC, Leo Tick wrote:
    -> >
    -> > -> when one clicks on a URL in TB how does it (whatever it is) know to
    -> > -> start FF with firefox!L if that is there?
    -> >
    -> > What worked here was to right click on a URL object, select
    -> > properties, Select "Browser" tab, then enter the path and file name
    -> > for firefox!L, set the correct working directory, then click on the
    -> > "Set Default" button.
    -> >
    -> > Mark
    -> >
    -> good suggestion BUT (always a but) when I right click I dont get
    -> andy properties item oh well!

    No idea why that is as all objects generally have a properties
    notebook, but another possible solution is to use Chuck Mckinnis'
    Internet Application Integration utility -
    http://7cities.net/~mckinnis/os2/index.html to set firefox!L.exe as
    the system default.

    Mark

    --
    From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

    http://www.warpstock.eu

  5. Re: TB starting FF

    On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 23:22:45 UTC, "Mark Dodel" wrote:
    > On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 22:24:22 UTC, Leo Tick wrote:
    > -> Mark Dodel wrote:
    > -> > On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 19:06:20 UTC, Leo Tick wrote:
    > -> >
    > -> > -> when one clicks on a URL in TB how does it (whatever it is) know to
    > -> > -> start FF with firefox!L if that is there?
    > -> >
    > -> > What worked here was to right click on a URL object, select
    > -> > properties, Select "Browser" tab, then enter the path and file name
    > -> > for firefox!L, set the correct working directory, then click on the
    > -> > "Set Default" button.
    > -> >
    > -> good suggestion BUT (always a but) when I right click I dont get
    > -> andy properties item oh well!
    >
    > No idea why that is as all objects generally have a properties
    > notebook, but another possible solution is to use Chuck Mckinnis'
    > Internet Application Integration utility -
    > http://7cities.net/~mckinnis/os2/index.html to set firefox!L.exe as
    > the system default.

    You'd be better off starting Thunderbird using Run! (i.e. thunderbird!L.exe)
    while starting Firefox directly (i.e. not using Run!). Fewer issues with
    Innotek plugins that way...

    --
    == == almost usable email address: rws AT e-vertise.com == ==

    | Remote Workplace Server v0.80
    Rich Walsh | interact with the WPS from any program
    Ft Myers, FL | http://e-vertise.com/rws/rws080.zip

  6. Re: TB starting FF

    -> > -> Mark Dodel wrote:
    -> > -> > On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 19:06:20 UTC, Leo Tick wrote:
    -> > -> >
[...]
    ->
    -> You'd be better off starting Thunderbird using Run! (i.e. thunderbird!L.exe)
    -> while starting Firefox directly (i.e. not using Run!). Fewer issues with
    -> Innotek plugins that way...
    ->

    I had assumed that was what he was doing already. If not then he
    should. I thought his issue was how to get TB to start FF when a link
    is clicked on. AFAIK FF has to be set as the default WPS browser.

    Mark

    --
    From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

    http://www.warpstock.eu

  7. Re: TB starting FF

    Mark Dodel wrote:
    > On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 07:13:08 UTC, "Rich Walsh"
    > wrote:
    >
    > -> On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 23:22:45 UTC, "Mark Dodel" wrote:
    > -> > On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 22:24:22 UTC, Leo Tick wrote:
    > -> > -> Mark Dodel wrote:
    > -> > -> > On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 19:06:20 UTC, Leo Tick wrote:
    > -> > -> >
    > -> > -> > -> when one clicks on a URL in TB how does it (whatever it is) know to
    > -> > -> > -> start FF with firefox!L if that is there?
    > -> > -> >
    > -> > -> > What worked here was to right click on a URL object, select
    > -> > -> > properties, Select "Browser" tab, then enter the path and file name
    > -> > -> > for firefox!L, set the correct working directory, then click on the
    > -> > -> > "Set Default" button.
    > -> > -> >
    > -> > -> good suggestion BUT (always a but) when I right click I dont get
    > -> > -> andy properties item oh well!
    > -> >
    > -> > No idea why that is as all objects generally have a properties
    > -> > notebook, but another possible solution is to use Chuck Mckinnis'
    > -> > Internet Application Integration utility -
    > -> > http://7cities.net/~mckinnis/os2/index.html to set firefox!L.exe as
    > -> > the system default.
    > ->
    > -> You'd be better off starting Thunderbird using Run! (i.e. thunderbird!L.exe)
    > -> while starting Firefox directly (i.e. not using Run!). Fewer issues with
    > -> Innotek plugins that way...
    > ->
    >
    > I had assumed that was what he was doing already. If not then he
    > should. I thought his issue was how to get TB to start FF when a link
    > is clicked on. AFAIK FF has to be set as the default WPS browser.
    >
    > Mark

    Since it was my question may I correct you. My question: since I had a
    firefox!l in my directory and was using this when I started FF, I was
    wondering how TB started FF. This all came about because I was getting
    all of this aborts which are costantly being asked about eg nspr4,
    lib05, etc. Under the apparently mistaken impression that run! was a
    good thing I was wondering how to tell how TB started FF. After
    reading this thread I changed MY method for starting FF to no-run!
    But my question how do I tell how TB starts FF. Ie where is this setting?

  8. Re: TB starting FF

    On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 16:22:03 UTC, Leo Tick wrote:
    > Mark Dodel wrote:

    > > -> You'd be better off starting Thunderbird using Run! (i.e. thunderbird!L.exe)
    > > -> while starting Firefox directly (i.e. not using Run!). Fewer issues with
    > > -> Innotek plugins that way...
    > >
    > > I had assumed that was what he was doing already. If not then he
    > > should. I thought his issue was how to get TB to start FF when a link
    > > is clicked on. AFAIK FF has to be set as the default WPS browser.

    Yes, I understood what the original issue was, but I thought it had been
    resolved. Apparently not...

    > But my question how do I tell how TB starts FF. Ie where is this setting?

    As previously explained:
    - right-click on a _WPS_ URL object
    - select 'Properties' from its menu
    - go to the 'Browser' page
    - fill it in using "firefox.exe" and the appropriate startup directory
    - press 'Set Default'

    If you don't have any URL objects lying around, use the one in your
    Templates folder (depending on your version, it may be in a subfolder
    named Internet Templates).

    > This all came about because I was getting all of this aborts which are
    > costantly being asked about eg nspr4, lib05, etc. Under the apparently
    > mistaken impression that run! was a good thing I was wondering how to
    > tell how TB started FF. After reading this thread I changed MY method
    > for starting FF to no-run!

    The problem you describe is precisely why I suggested starting TB with
    thunderbird!L.exe while starting FF directly. The issue isn't Run!,
    it's turning on LIBPATHSTRICT: Innotek plugins like Flash & Acrobat
    malfunction when it's enabled. A bug in the Warp 4.5 kernel lets you
    skip using it for one (and only one) of the mozilla apps.

    So, ensure that *anything* that starts TB uses LIBPATHSTRICT, ensure
    that *anything* that starts FF doesn't use it, and your problem should
    be solved.

    --
    == == almost usable email address: rws AT e-vertise.com == ==

    | Remote Workplace Server v0.80
    Rich Walsh | interact with the WPS from any program
    Ft Myers, FL | http://e-vertise.com/rws/rws080.zip

  9. Re: TB starting FF

    Rich Walsh wrote:
    > On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 16:22:03 UTC, Leo Tick wrote:
    >> Mark Dodel wrote:

    >>> -> You'd be better off starting Thunderbird using Run! (i.e. thunderbird!L.exe)
    >>> -> while starting Firefox directly (i.e. not using Run!). Fewer issues with
    >>> -> Innotek plugins that way...
    >>>
    >>> I had assumed that was what he was doing already. If not then he
    >>> should. I thought his issue was how to get TB to start FF when a link
    >>> is clicked on. AFAIK FF has to be set as the default WPS browser.

    > Yes, I understood what the original issue was, but I thought it had been
    > resolved. Apparently not...
    >

    > The problem you describe is precisely why I suggested starting TB with
    > thunderbird!L.exe while starting FF directly. The issue isn't Run!,
    > it's turning on LIBPATHSTRICT: Innotek plugins like Flash & Acrobat
    > malfunction when it's enabled. A bug in the Warp 4.5 kernel lets you
    > skip using it for one (and only one) of the mozilla apps.
    >
    > So, ensure that *anything* that starts TB uses LIBPATHSTRICT, ensure
    > that *anything* that starts FF doesn't use it, and your problem should
    > be solved.

    Much thanks for these insights. Rote actions never appealed to me. I did
    not know what a URL object was so I could not carry out the suggestion.
    With your help I do now (as an aside does not the IAS program take care
    of that). Anyway I did it and It recalled why I did not follow the
    suggestion before. With firefox.exe set as the default browser clicking
    on a TB URL does NOT start FF. With firefox!l.exe it does start with the
    aborts described. I tried (out of my infinite ignorance) to name a copy
    of FF firefox!l.exe but that did not work (ie get started by TB).
    So I am sort of caught between the usual two items, unstable run or no
    start by TB. My current work around is start FF and keep it running
    which is OK by me. Though even here I get NSPR4 aborts. What I find
    peculiar is that when I reclick on the TB URL (having restarted FF)
    and select the restart in FF there is no abort the second time.
    I find the entire situation very peculiar very

+ Reply to Thread