Mozilla/Seamonkey/Firefox ignore mailcap helper settings - OS2

This is a discussion on Mozilla/Seamonkey/Firefox ignore mailcap helper settings - OS2 ; I thought you were supposed to be able to have Mozilla, Seamonkey, and Firefox use selected helper application mailcap and mime.types files by setting new keys in the pseudo URL about :config: helpers.global_mailcap_file (value might be e:\usr\local\etc\mailcap) helpers.global_mime_types_file (value might ...

  1. Mozilla/Seamonkey/Firefox ignore mailcap helper settings

    I thought you were supposed to be able to have Mozilla, Seamonkey, and Firefox
    use selected helper application mailcap and mime.types files by setting new
    keys in the pseudo URL about:config:

    helpers.global_mailcap_file (value might be e:\usr\local\etc\mailcap)
    helpers.global_mime_types_file (value might be e:\usr\local\etc\mime.types)

    For those who don't know, the mailcap file is a map of content types
    to applications, like:

    audio/mpeg; ViewMpg.cmd %s

    And the mime.types file assigns types by extension when viewing local files,
    like so:

    audio/mpeg mp3 mp2

    This makes it really easy to make a list of common content types and approriate
    viewers, and works fine in Lynx and even the ancient WebExplorer. But I can't
    get any of the Mozilla browsers to respond. I've tried:

    Gecko/20050922 Mozilla 1.7.12
    Gecko/20070118 Seamonkey/1.1
    Gecko/20070531 Firefox/2.0.0.4

    It would be nice to be able to figure this one out, especially for Firefox,
    which doesn't even seem to have a way to add selected helpers so the user
    isn't confronted with a 'what shall I do with this' dialog. But I'm starting
    to wonder if Mozilla browsers dropped these about:config settings at some
    point. Should it still work?

    --
    Walt Gregg (walt at w-gregg dot juneau.ak.us)

  2. Re: Mozilla/Seamonkey/Firefox ignore mailcap helper settings

    In <46ea69e9$1$jnyg$mr2ice@news.gci.net>, on 09/14/2007
    at 02:47 AM, walt@invalid (walt at w-gregg dot juneau.ak.us) said:

    >I thought you were supposed to be able to have Mozilla, Seamonkey, and
    >Firefox use selected helper application mailcap and mime.types files by
    >setting new keys in the pseudo URL about:config:

    > helpers.global_mailcap_file (value might be e:\usr\local\etc\mailcap)
    > helpers.global_mime_types_file (value might be
    >e:\usr\local\etc\mime.types)

    >For those who don't know, the mailcap file is a map of content types to
    >applications, like:

    > audio/mpeg; ViewMpg.cmd %s

    >And the mime.types file assigns types by extension when viewing local
    >files, like so:

    > audio/mpeg mp3 mp2

    >This makes it really easy to make a list of common content types and
    >approriate viewers, and works fine in Lynx and even the ancient
    >WebExplorer. But I can't get any of the Mozilla browsers to respond.
    >I've tried:

    > Gecko/20050922 Mozilla 1.7.12
    > Gecko/20070118 Seamonkey/1.1
    > Gecko/20070531 Firefox/2.0.0.4

    >It would be nice to be able to figure this one out, especially for
    >Firefox, which doesn't even seem to have a way to add selected helpers so
    >the user isn't confronted with a 'what shall I do with this' dialog. But
    >I'm starting to wonder if Mozilla browsers dropped these about:config
    >settings at some point. Should it still work?

    Perhaps the mailcap option is unavailable, but you can still setup a
    helper application via the browser preferences. In SeaMonkey it is under
    the Navigator section of the preferences and is title Helper Applications
    as you might expect.

    -- Dave
    dhdurgeeverizonnet

  3. Re: Mozilla/Seamonkey/Firefox ignore mailcap helper settings

    On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 10:47:22 UTC, walt@invalid (walt at w-gregg dot juneau.ak.us) wrote:

    > I thought you were supposed to be able to have Mozilla, Seamonkey, and Firefox
    > use selected helper application mailcap and mime.types files by setting new
    > keys in the pseudo URL about:config:
    > [snip]
    > I can't get any of the Mozilla browsers to respond.

    A couple of years ago when I added the ability to have downloads use
    the default WPS association, I worked hard not to mess up the existing
    mailcap/mime.types facility. Consequently, I _know_ that it worked OK
    both before and after my changes (which, to this day, you only get in
    Peter W's builds). Well, I just tried it and couldn't get it to work.
    Not in Firefox 2.0, nor 1.5, nor 1.0 - and Firefox 1.0 was out before
    I started working on that feature.

    All this told me that something else was awry, and here it is:

    > For those who don't know, the mailcap file is a map of content types
    > to applications, like:
    >
    > audio/mpeg; ViewMpg.cmd %s

    You MUST use a fully-qualified path for the application, e.g.
    audio/mpeg; C:\apps\ViewMpg.cmd %s
    (I assume the original code is smart enough to know what to do with a
    ..cmd file but I haven't tested it.)

    FWIW... I gather you're using the "official" builds. If you were to
    use Peter's, you probably wouldn't have to use a mailcap file because
    the download dialog should offer you at least the established WPS
    default. You can always choose another app using the Browse button,
    and that selection will be offered the next time you encounter a file
    of the same type. (Note: if you have a mailcap entry & also make an
    alternate selection, the WPS default won't be listed. There's only
    room for 2 apps and I made the WPS default the lowest priority.)

    --
    == == almost usable email address: rws AT e-vertise.com == ==

    | Remote Workplace Server v0.80
    Rich Walsh | interact with the WPS from any program
    Ft Myers, FL | http://e-vertise.com/rws/rws080.zip

  4. Re: Mozilla/Seamonkey/Firefox ignore mailcap helper settings

    Quoting "Rich Walsh" ,
    Re: Mozilla/Seamonkey/Firefox ignore mailcap helper settings (Fri, 14 Sep 2007 17:22:42 -0000):

    >On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 10:47:22 UTC, walt@invalid (walt at w-gregg dot
    >juneau.ak.us) wrote:

    >> I thought you were supposed to be able to have Mozilla, Seamonkey, and Firefox
    >> use selected helper application mailcap and mime.types files by setting new
    >> keys in the pseudo URL about:config:
    >> [snip]
    >> I can't get any of the Mozilla browsers to respond.

    >All this told me that something else was awry, and here it is:

    >> For those who don't know, the mailcap file is a map of content types
    >> to applications, like:
    >>
    >> audio/mpeg; ViewMpg.cmd %s

    >You MUST use a fully-qualified path for the application, e.g.
    > audio/mpeg; C:\apps\ViewMpg.cmd %s
    >(I assume the original code is smart enough to know what to do with a ..cmd
    >file but I haven't tested it.)

    Thank you -- the lack of pathname was indeed the problem. RFC1524 even
    says to use a FQN. I skipped the path when I set it up because Lynx
    doesn't like backslashes in pathnames, it wants them doubled, or you
    can use forward slashes, but at the time something else on my system
    insisted on single backlashes, so I just dropped the path and put the
    helpers on the path. OK, Firefox wants full pathnames. Darn, only
    single backslash form allowed. It's not wrong but it breaks the Lynx
    port. Argh.

    BTW, using CMD files as helpers works fine in all of the Mozillas.
    Because of not being able to pass along the content type as an
    argument, a long time ago I started using a zillion little ViewXXX.cmd
    files, where the XXX is the file suffix I associate with that content
    type. The Rexx script makes a copy of the browser's temp file but
    using my suffix, and then opens *that* file by association. I had
    better luck with this than directly opening the browser temp file,
    originally in WebExplorer, which was really stubborn about helpers,
    and later with certain viewers that were really picky about spaces
    and punctuation in filenames. Also, if a hostile server mislabels an
    executable file as a jpeg or some other innocent file type, it gets
    opened with *my* suffix, not theirs, which seems a tad safer to me.
    The bad thing is that it clutters up the tmp dir with left-over files,
    and clutters up the system INI file even after they get deleted.

    >FWIW... I gather you're using the "official" builds. If you were to use
    >Peter's, you probably wouldn't have to use a mailcap file because the
    >download dialog should offer you at least the established WPS default. You
    >can always choose another app using the Browse button, and that selection
    >will be offered the next time you encounter a file of the same type. (Note:
    >if you have a mailcap entry & also make an alternate selection, the WPS
    >default won't be listed. There's only room for 2 apps and I made the WPS
    >default the lowest priority.)

    That sounds interesting, I didn't know about that. I might try that the
    next time I update.

    --
    Walt Gregg (walt at w-gregg dot juneau.ak.us)

+ Reply to Thread