Recommendations for GUI FTP client? - OS2

This is a discussion on Recommendations for GUI FTP client? - OS2 ; I've been using FTP Browser 1.71 as a GUI FTP client for years. After Y2K it became incompatible with dates > 1999 and recently it for all practical purposes stopped working on some, mainly OS/2 sites. Could someone, please recommend ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 46

  1. Recommendations for GUI FTP client?

    I've been using FTP Browser 1.71 as a GUI FTP client for years.
    After Y2K it became incompatible with dates > 1999 and recently it for all
    practical purposes stopped working on some, mainly OS/2 sites.

    Could someone, please recommend a replacement with similar capabilities?

    I am aware of command line ftp and FTP-PM which, BTW, does not work
    reliably either.

    I looked at hobbes, but it is difficult to judge a program without actually
    installing it and testing it.

    Your experience?

    Thanks
    Frank

  2. Re: Recommendations for GUI FTP client?

    On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 18:49:03 UTC, "FEEB"
    wrote:

    -> I've been using FTP Browser 1.71 as a GUI FTP client for years.
    -> After Y2K it became incompatible with dates > 1999 and recently it for all
    -> practical purposes stopped working on some, mainly OS/2 sites.
    ->
    -> Could someone, please recommend a replacement with similar capabilities?
    ->
    -> I am aware of command line ftp and FTP-PM which, BTW, does not work
    -> reliably either.
    ->
    -> I looked at hobbes, but it is difficult to judge a program without actually
    -> installing it and testing it.
    ->
    -> Your experience?

    Emtec FTP, which is listed on Mensys's (
    http://shop.mensys.nl/cgi-bin/db2www...?catname=EMTEC
    &username=&i1=&o=&x=22:08:01&Search=EMTEC&C=250 ) and bmtmicro (
    http://www.bmtmicro.com/BMTCatalog/os2/ensftp.html ) but nolonger
    listed at Emtec's site - http://www.emtec.com and nolonger supported
    by them. This is still IMHO the best ftp client for OS/2.

    Netdrive http://www.bmtmicro.com/BMTCatalog/os2/netdrive.html this
    basically allows you to access any ftp server as if it were a drive
    object on your system. Other plugins allow for fat32 and samba
    support as well.

    Mark

    --
    From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

    http://www.warpstock.eu

  3. Re: Recommendations for GUI FTP client?

    FEEB wrote:
    > I've been using FTP Browser 1.71 as a GUI FTP client for years.
    > After Y2K it became incompatible with dates > 1999 and recently it for all
    > practical purposes stopped working on some, mainly OS/2 sites.
    >
    > Could someone, please recommend a replacement with similar capabilities?
    >
    > I am aware of command line ftp and FTP-PM which, BTW, does not work
    > reliably either.
    >
    > I looked at hobbes, but it is difficult to judge a program without actually
    > installing it and testing it.
    >
    > Your experience?

    I've been using FTP Browser for several years and still don't see any
    problem with it. Depending on the site, it shows the date (for the year
    '2007') as either '07-08-17' or '107-08-17' but I've never thought that
    was a big deal. It connects quickly, is easy to resume, is extremely
    easy to use, and so on. Which OS/2 site does it not work with?

    --
    Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    and Sea Monkey 1.5a

  4. Re: Recommendations for GUI FTP client?

    On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 14:49:03 -0400, FEEB wrote:

    > I've been using FTP Browser 1.71 as a GUI FTP client for years. After
    > Y2K it became incompatible with dates > 1999 and recently it for all
    > practical purposes stopped working on some, mainly OS/2 sites.
    >
    > Could someone, please recommend a replacement with similar capabilities?
    >
    > I am aware of command line ftp and FTP-PM which, BTW, does not work
    > reliably either.
    >
    > I looked at hobbes, but it is difficult to judge a program without
    > actually installing it and testing it.
    >
    > Your experience?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Frank

    There's also a Firefox extension called 'FireFTP'

    Wayne
    --
    Registered Linux user #375994
    http://www.geocities.jp/rondonko/

  5. Re: Recommendations for GUI FTP client?

    David T. Johnson wrote:

    > I've been using FTP Browser for several years and still don't see any
    > problem with it. Depending on the site, it shows the date (for the year
    > '2007') as either '07-08-17' or '107-08-17' but I've never thought that
    > was a big deal. It connects quickly, is easy to resume, is extremely
    > easy to use, and so on. Which OS/2 site does it not work with?

    Same experience here. It's a little annoying when the dates don't sort
    correctly, but that's not a concern if there aren't any pre-2000 dated
    files on the site (or in the current directory).

  6. Re: Recommendations for GUI FTP client?

    Wayne wrote:

    > There's also a Firefox extension called 'FireFTP'

    I agree. If you use FireFox as your default browser then utilize
    FireFTP. It's a great little extension and relieves you of having to
    use a separate command line or GUI FTP client. FireFTP is feature rich,
    easy to use and by utizing the tabs feature you can quickly check your
    html work in a separate window.

    I used FireFox and FireFTP under OS/2 before moving to OSX. It was one
    of the first external browsers and extensions I added to my Mac system(s)

    Tim...

  7. Re: Recommendations for GUI FTP client?

    Hi Wayne

    Wayne wrote:
    > On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 14:49:03 -0400, FEEB wrote:
    >
    >> I've been using FTP Browser 1.71 as a GUI FTP client for years. After
    >> Y2K it became incompatible with dates > 1999 and recently it for all
    >> practical purposes stopped working on some, mainly OS/2 sites.
    >>
    >> Could someone, please recommend a replacement with similar capabilities?
    >>
    >> I am aware of command line ftp and FTP-PM which, BTW, does not work
    >> reliably either.
    >>
    >> I looked at hobbes, but it is difficult to judge a program without
    >> actually installing it and testing it.
    >>
    >> Your experience?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Frank
    >>

    > There's also a Firefox extension called 'FireFTP'

    > Wayne

    Also works with Seamonkey
    http://xsidebar.mozdev.org/modifiedmisc.html#fireftp

    Regards

    Pete

  8. Re: Recommendations for GUI FTP client?

    On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 01:17:17 +0000 (UTC), Wayne wrote:

    >On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 14:49:03 -0400, FEEB wrote:
    >
    >> I've been using FTP Browser 1.71 as a GUI FTP client for years. After
    >> Y2K it became incompatible with dates > 1999 and recently it for all
    >> practical purposes stopped working on some, mainly OS/2 sites.
    >>
    >> Could someone, please recommend a replacement with similar capabilities?
    >>
    >> I am aware of command line ftp and FTP-PM which, BTW, does not work
    >> reliably either.
    >>
    >> I looked at hobbes, but it is difficult to judge a program without
    >> actually installing it and testing it.
    >>
    >> Your experience?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Frank
    >>

    >There's also a Firefox extension called 'FireFTP'
    >
    >https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/684
    >
    >Wayne

    Thanks, looks nice. However, for whatever reason it enables me to see the
    content on the server only when logged in as anonymous. When I log in as a
    regular user, I am getting Error 23 any time I want to access a directory
    on the server. It is the same behaviour as with FTPBrowser.
    Normally I would expect a problem in server configuration, but I have two
    eCS machines, I have not changed any FTP settings on them and they both
    behave the same. Very strange....

    Cheers
    Frank

  9. Re: Recommendations for GUI FTP client?

    On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 15:46:28 -0700, David T. Johnson wrote:

    >FEEB wrote:
    >> I've been using FTP Browser 1.71 as a GUI FTP client for years.
    >> After Y2K it became incompatible with dates > 1999 and recently it for

    all
    >> practical purposes stopped working on some, mainly OS/2 sites.
    >>
    >> Could someone, please recommend a replacement with similar capabilities?
    >>
    >> I am aware of command line ftp and FTP-PM which, BTW, does not work
    >> reliably either.
    >>
    >> I looked at hobbes, but it is difficult to judge a program without

    actually
    >> installing it and testing it.
    >>
    >> Your experience?

    >I've been using FTP Browser for several years and still don't see any
    >problem with it. Depending on the site, it shows the date (for the year
    >'2007') as either '07-08-17' or '107-08-17' but I've never thought that
    >was a big deal. It connects quickly, is easy to resume, is extremely
    >easy to use, and so on. Which OS/2 site does it not work with?

    My own. If logged in as a regular user. Anonymous works fine.
    Yet, I can work with the same site from the CLI. I thought it was
    something wrong with the FTP Browser. Obviously it is not, as the Firefox
    FTP extension does not work for me either. Very strange...

    Cheers
    Frank

  10. Re: Recommendations for GUI FTP client?

    FEEB wrote:
    > On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 15:46:28 -0700, David T. Johnson wrote:
    >
    >> FEEB wrote:
    >>> I've been using FTP Browser 1.71 as a GUI FTP client for years.
    >>> After Y2K it became incompatible with dates > 1999 and recently it for

    > all
    >>> practical purposes stopped working on some, mainly OS/2 sites.
    >>>
    >>> Could someone, please recommend a replacement with similar capabilities?
    >>>
    >>> I am aware of command line ftp and FTP-PM which, BTW, does not work
    >>> reliably either.
    >>>
    >>> I looked at hobbes, but it is difficult to judge a program without

    > actually
    >>> installing it and testing it.
    >>>
    >>> Your experience?

    >> I've been using FTP Browser for several years and still don't see any
    >> problem with it. Depending on the site, it shows the date (for the year
    >> '2007') as either '07-08-17' or '107-08-17' but I've never thought that
    >> was a big deal. It connects quickly, is easy to resume, is extremely
    >> easy to use, and so on. Which OS/2 site does it not work with?

    > My own. If logged in as a regular user. Anonymous works fine.
    > Yet, I can work with the same site from the CLI. I thought it was
    > something wrong with the FTP Browser. Obviously it is not, as the Firefox
    > FTP extension does not work for me either. Very strange...

    Since it works for anonymous but not for a user, the problem might be
    authentication of the user. Maybe look at the configuration of your ftp
    server to see if you are using a permitted user name and password.

    --
    Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    and Sea Monkey 1.5a

  11. Re: Recommendations for GUI FTP client?

    On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 21:13:46 -0700, David T. Johnson wrote:

    >FEEB wrote:

    >> all

    capabilities?

    >> actually

    >>> I've been using FTP Browser for several years and still don't see any
    >>> problem with it. Depending on the site, it shows the date (for the

    year
    >>> '2007') as either '07-08-17' or '107-08-17' but I've never thought that
    >>> was a big deal. It connects quickly, is easy to resume, is extremely
    >>> easy to use, and so on. Which OS/2 site does it not work with?

    >> My own. If logged in as a regular user. Anonymous works fine.
    >> Yet, I can work with the same site from the CLI. I thought it was
    >> something wrong with the FTP Browser. Obviously it is not, as the

    Firefox
    >> FTP extension does not work for me either. Very strange...
    >>

    >Since it works for anonymous but not for a user, the problem might be
    >authentication of the user. Maybe look at the configuration of your ftp
    >server to see if you are using a permitted user name and password.

    Please, see above: "Yet, I can work with the same site from the CLI"

    If I can authenticate from the CLI, I do not see any reason why I could not
    authenticate from FTP Browser. BTW, authentication phase returns no
    errors. Problems start when I try to list a directory or change to other
    directory. All commands are rejected with "error 23". Again, everything
    works fine from the CLI.

    Cheers
    Frank

  12. Re: Recommendations for GUI FTP client?

    On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 18:49:03 UTC, "FEEB" wrote:

    > Could someone, please recommend a replacement with similar capabilities?
    >
    > I am aware of command line ftp and FTP-PM which, BTW, does not work
    > reliably either.

    JFTP is pretty decent.
    http://www.jmethods.com/products/jftp/

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

    Please take off hat when replying.

  13. Re: Recommendations for GUI FTP client?

    Hi Alex

    Alex Taylor wrote:
    > On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 18:49:03 UTC, "FEEB" wrote:
    >
    >> Could someone, please recommend a replacement with similar capabilities?
    >>
    >> I am aware of command line ftp and FTP-PM which, BTW, does not work
    >> reliably either.

    > JFTP is pretty decent.
    > http://www.jmethods.com/products/jftp/

    jftp does not seem to want to work with eCS based systems; connects OK
    but cannot display (list) directory contents here.

    Works fine with Windows/Mac/*nix ftp though...

    Regards

    Pete

  14. Re: Recommendations for GUI FTP client?

    Hi

    Peter Brown wrote:
    > Hi Wayne
    >
    > Wayne wrote:
    >> On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 14:49:03 -0400, FEEB wrote:
    >>
    >>> I've been using FTP Browser 1.71 as a GUI FTP client for years. After
    >>> Y2K it became incompatible with dates > 1999 and recently it for all
    >>> practical purposes stopped working on some, mainly OS/2 sites.
    >>>
    >>> Could someone, please recommend a replacement with similar capabilities?
    >>>
    >>> I am aware of command line ftp and FTP-PM which, BTW, does not work
    >>> reliably either.
    >>>
    >>> I looked at hobbes, but it is difficult to judge a program without
    >>> actually installing it and testing it.
    >>>
    >>> Your experience?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>> Frank
    >>>

    >> There's also a Firefox extension called 'FireFTP'
    >>
    >> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/684
    >>
    >> Wayne

    > Also works with Seamonkey
    > http://xsidebar.mozdev.org/modifiedmisc.html#fireftp
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Pete

    Correction: FireFTP seems to work with everything except eCS...

    I can connect to a system running ftpd.exe but cannot login; I get a
    "not authorised" response despite using correct user id and password...

    Regards

    Pete

  15. Re: Recommendations for GUI FTP client?

    Hi

    Peter Brown wrote:
    > Hi Alex
    >
    > Alex Taylor wrote:
    >> On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 18:49:03 UTC, "FEEB" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Could someone, please recommend a replacement with similar capabilities?
    >>>
    >>> I am aware of command line ftp and FTP-PM which, BTW, does not work
    >>> reliably either.

    >> JFTP is pretty decent.
    >> http://www.jmethods.com/products/jftp/
    >>

    > jftp does not seem to want to work with eCS based systems; connects OK
    > but cannot display (list) directory contents here.
    >
    > Works fine with Windows/Mac/*nix ftp though...
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Pete

    Well, that was easy to resolve: Sack the eCS(OS/2) supplied ftpd.exe -
    guess it is too old to work with more current ftp clients - and install
    Pete Moylan's ftpserver.

    Now both FireFTP and JFTP work fine.

    Regards

    Pete

  16. Re: Recommendations for GUI FTP client?

    On Thu, 6 Sep 2007 18:47:33 UTC, Peter Brown
    wrote:

    > > jftp does not seem to want to work with eCS based systems; connects OK
    > > but cannot display (list) directory contents here.
    > >
    > > Works fine with Windows/Mac/*nix ftp though...

    > Well, that was easy to resolve: Sack the eCS(OS/2) supplied ftpd.exe -
    > guess it is too old to work with more current ftp clients - and install
    > Pete Moylan's ftpserver.
    >
    > Now both FireFTP and JFTP work fine.

    Missed the first part of this. But you know what the problem is? (Or was,
    a couple of years ago when I looked into it, and it can't have changed
    since.)

    OS/2 built-in ftpd responds to a dir request by sending out an OS/2
    directory listing. Perfectly legitimate and within spec for the protocol,
    but everybody else in the universe sends out a listing in Unix format.
    Guess which ftpd is useless with almost any ftp client that exists.

    Moylan's server, of course, sends the Unix format, as required by
    practically everything except the formal standard; also, it's excellent in
    every other way.

    --
    Dan Drake
    dd@dandrake.com

  17. Re: Recommendations for GUI FTP client?

    Hi Dan

    Dan Drake wrote:
    > On Thu, 6 Sep 2007 18:47:33 UTC, Peter Brown
    > wrote:

    >>> jftp does not seem to want to work with eCS based systems; connects OK
    >>> but cannot display (list) directory contents here.
    >>>
    >>> Works fine with Windows/Mac/*nix ftp though...

    >> Well, that was easy to resolve: Sack the eCS(OS/2) supplied ftpd.exe -
    >> guess it is too old to work with more current ftp clients - and install
    >> Pete Moylan's ftpserver.
    >>
    >> Now both FireFTP and JFTP work fine.
    >>

    > Missed the first part of this. But you know what the problem is? (Or was,
    > a couple of years ago when I looked into it, and it can't have changed
    > since.)
    >
    > OS/2 built-in ftpd responds to a dir request by sending out an OS/2
    > directory listing. Perfectly legitimate and within spec for the protocol,
    > but everybody else in the universe sends out a listing in Unix format.
    > Guess which ftpd is useless with almost any ftp client that exists.

    Exactly my findings - sadly it seemed to have been a bit of a well kept
    secret that the inbuilt ftpd "is useless with almost any ftp client that
    exists" until I asked in the os2-uk user group mailing list :-)

    > Moylan's server, of course, sends the Unix format, as required by
    > practically everything except the formal standard; also, it's excellent in
    > every other way.

    Just in case you missed the announcement ftpserver v1.30 is now available

    http://www.pmoylan.org/pages/os2/FtpServer.html
    ftp://ftp.pmoylan.org/FtpServer/ftpser130.zip

    Regards

    Pete

  18. Re: Recommendations for GUI FTP client?

    Peter Brown wrote:
    > Just in case you missed the announcement ftpserver v1.30 is now available
    >
    > http://www.pmoylan.org/pages/os2/FtpServer.html
    > ftp://ftp.pmoylan.org/FtpServer/ftpser130.zip

    Where was the announcement?

    Cool... Peter made a good security change that has been bugging me for a
    long time:

    Added check for repeated probes that look like
    a dictionary attack. This version does not
    update the filter in the INI file.

    I've been manually watching for these clowns and banning IP ranges. Now
    I don't have to. :-) Thanks Peter! (and you too Peter, for bringing
    this to my attention!)

  19. Re: Recommendations for GUI FTP client?

    Alex Taylor writes:

    > JFTP is pretty decent.
    > http://www.jmethods.com/products/jftp/

    Which Java do you use? I'm getting an error:

    Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError:
    net/sf/jftp/JFtp (Unsupported major.minor version 49.0)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java :539)
    at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(Secure ClassLoader.java:123)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader .java:251)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(URLClassLoader. java:55)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java: 194)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.j ava:187)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:2 89)
    at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launche r.java:274)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:2 35)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoade r.java:302)

    Pierre
    --
    Pierre Jelenc
    The Gigometer www.gigometer.com

  20. Re: Recommendations for GUI FTP client?

    On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 22:27:40 UTC, Marty
    wrote:

    -> Peter Brown wrote:
    -> > Just in case you missed the announcement ftpserver v1.30 is now available
    -> >
    -> > http://www.pmoylan.org/pages/os2/FtpServer.html
    -> > ftp://ftp.pmoylan.org/FtpServer/ftpser130.zip
    ->
    -> Where was the announcement?

    It was on the VOICE newslist 5 days ago for one. Peter is one of the
    few developers that is really good about sending announcements out to
    the announcement list. It is usually then picked up from there on the
    OS/2-eCS related news websites.

    Mark

    --
    From the eComStation of Mark Dodel