Recommendations for GUI FTP client? - OS2

This is a discussion on Recommendations for GUI FTP client? - OS2 ; On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 21:43:04 UTC, "Barbara" wrote: > On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 23:02:00 UTC, Steve Wendt > wrote: > > > Barbara wrote: > > > > >> Per an earlier suggestion in this thread, I installed ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 46 of 46

  1. Re: Recommendations for GUI FTP client?

    wrote:

    > On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 23:02:00 UTC, Steve Wendt
    > wrote:

    > > > I usually use Seamonkey, but will keep FireFox around just for this.

    > > I haven't tried it myself, but you apparently don't need Firefox:
    > > http://xsidebar.mozdev.org/modifiedmisc.html#fireftp

    > I have to insert an "OOPS" here. When I tried the FireFTP for
    > Seamonkey, it initially looked ok, but I couldn't get it to let me set
    > up transfer necessities. Trying to open "Manage Account" does
    > nothing. Won't open to let me put in the remote host, IDs and
    > passwords.
    >
    > The version I installed on FireFox works perfectly. Go figure...
    >
    > I probably have to do something to Seamonkey that I haven't found yet.
    > I think it said something about needing a side bar (or similar) which
    > I ignored in my excitement. A while back I tried everything I could
    > think to get rid of the side bar when I installed Seamonkey. I just
    > don't use it. I'll have to go back and check.

    (Talking to self..) I almost had it right. That was not good old
    regular sidebar, but xSideBar, found at:

    http://xsidebar.mozdev.org/

    I installed it. NOW FireFTP is working in Seamonkey.

    (I hope I never learn to like all that other stuff I found in there
    that allows a browser to take over the world!)

    --
    Barbara

  2. Re: Recommendations for GUI FTP client?

    Peter Brown writes:

    >> Rich Walsh wrote:

    >>> Per an earlier suggestion in this thread, I installed the FireFTP
    >>> add-on for Firefox. I haven't given it a really hard workout but
    >>> so far I'm pleased. It has everything you'd expect of an FTP
    >>> client: side-by-side local & remote directory listings, one-click
    >>> login for sites, easy transfer of multiple files & folders, etc, etc.

    >> I couldn't find a way to get a remote OS/2 system to change drive
    >> letters using FireFTP on a Windows client. Entering the desired
    >> directory as, for example, "J:\" caused FireFTP to attempt to change
    >> directories to /J:, which of course fails. Looks like it's expecting
    >> some sort of UNIX file system on the remote side.

    > Is the OS/2 system running the OS/2 supplied ftpd.exe?

    Yes.

    > If "Yes" then that is probably the problem.

    Shouldn't be. I've successfully changed drives on my OS/2 FTP server
    using a number of different clients.

    > I had directory listing problems when using anything but the FTPPM gui
    > to access an OS/2 system running the "standard" ftpd.exe
    >
    > I suggest you use ftpserver instead as that works well with most clients
    > - you'll probably find that you need to setup symbolic links to your drives
    > http://www.pmoylan.org/pages/os2/FtpServer.html

    Does it integrate into OS/2's TCP/IP settings notebook, particularly
    the security items?

  3. Re: Recommendations for GUI FTP client?

    Hi

    tholen@antispam.ham wrote:
    > Peter Brown writes:

    >>> I couldn't find a way to get a remote OS/2 system to change drive
    >>> letters using FireFTP on a Windows client. Entering the desired
    >>> directory as, for example, "J:\" caused FireFTP to attempt to change
    >>> directories to /J:, which of course fails. Looks like it's expecting
    >>> some sort of UNIX file system on the remote side.

    >> Is the OS/2 system running the OS/2 supplied ftpd.exe?

    > Yes.
    >
    >> If "Yes" then that is probably the problem.

    > Shouldn't be. I've successfully changed drives on my OS/2 FTP server
    > using a number of different clients.

    Different GUI clients? - I think the problem may not affect cmd line
    clients.

    >> I had directory listing problems when using anything but the FTPPM gui
    >> to access an OS/2 system running the "standard" ftpd.exe
    >>
    >> I suggest you use ftpserver instead as that works well with most clients
    >> - you'll probably find that you need to setup symbolic links to your drives
    >> http://www.pmoylan.org/pages/os2/FtpServer.html

    > Does it integrate into OS/2's TCP/IP settings notebook, particularly
    > the security items?

    No, it has it's own security setup - complete with a setup application
    to setup security.

    I suggest you download the package and have a read through the INF file
    to get an idea of capability.

    Regards

    Pete

  4. Re: Recommendations for GUI FTP client?

    Peter Brown writes:

    >>> Is the OS/2 system running the OS/2 supplied ftpd.exe?

    >> Yes.

    >>> If "Yes" then that is probably the problem.

    >> Shouldn't be. I've successfully changed drives on my OS/2 FTP server
    >> using a number of different clients.

    > Different GUI clients? - I think the problem may not affect cmd line
    > clients.

    CLI clients. Which is why I don't think it's the server that is broken.
    The GUI clients are the ones that are broken.

    >>> I had directory listing problems when using anything but the FTPPM gui
    >>> to access an OS/2 system running the "standard" ftpd.exe
    >>>
    >>> I suggest you use ftpserver instead as that works well with most clients
    >>> - you'll probably find that you need to setup symbolic links to your drives
    >>> http://www.pmoylan.org/pages/os2/FtpServer.html

    >> Does it integrate into OS/2's TCP/IP settings notebook, particularly
    >> the security items?

    > No, it has it's own security setup - complete with a setup application
    > to setup security.
    >
    > I suggest you download the package and have a read through the INF file
    > to get an idea of capability.

    It all sounds vaguely familiar. I think I may have done so some years
    ago and fallen back on the supplied ftpd for some reason.

  5. Re: Recommendations for GUI FTP client?

    Barbara writes:
    > I have to insert an "OOPS" here. When I tried the FireFTP for
    > Seamonkey, it initially looked ok, but I couldn't get it to let me set
    > up transfer necessities. Trying to open "Manage Account" does
    > nothing. Won't open to let me put in the remote host, IDs and
    > passwords.

    I have it in SeaMonkey 1.1.3 and it works reasonably well. The only
    problem I've seen is that when uploading a large directory tree, it does
    not seem to realise it has completed the task and appears to wait for
    something. The transfer itself was done properly, however.

    > I probably have to do something to Seamonkey that I haven't found yet.
    > I think it said something about needing a side bar (or similar) which
    > I ignored in my excitement.

    No side bar here.

    Pierre
    --
    Pierre Jelenc
    The Gigometer www.gigometer.com

  6. Re: Recommendations for GUI FTP client?

    Barbara writes:

    > (Talking to self..) I almost had it right. That was not good old
    > regular sidebar, but xSideBar,

    Ah, I do have that, though I never use it; it's a remnant of something I
    had forgotten about.

    Pierre