Recommendations for GUI FTP client? - OS2

This is a discussion on Recommendations for GUI FTP client? - OS2 ; Peter Brown writes: > Exactly my findings - sadly it seemed to have been a bit of a well kept > secret that the inbuilt ftpd "is useless with almost any ftp client that > exists" until I asked in ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 46

  1. Re: Recommendations for GUI FTP client?

    Peter Brown writes:

    > Exactly my findings - sadly it seemed to have been a bit of a well kept
    > secret that the inbuilt ftpd "is useless with almost any ftp client that
    > exists" until I asked in the os2-uk user group mailing list :-)

    I'm mildly surprised, as I've not had much trouble with the OS/2 FTP
    daemon. I've used it extensively with Solaris, Linux, and OS/2 clients
    without trouble. The troublesome client is the Windows client, but
    that client also has trouble with Linux and Solaris daemons. I've
    experienced the Windows FTP client stopping partway through a transfer
    and eventually die with a "netout: connection reset by peer" error
    message. I've speculated that it can't handle gigabit network speeds
    very well.

  2. Re: Recommendations for GUI FTP client?

    Mark Dodel wrote:
    > On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 22:27:40 UTC, Marty
    > wrote:
    >
    > -> Peter Brown wrote:
    > -> > Just in case you missed the announcement ftpserver v1.30 is now available
    > -> >
    > -> > http://www.pmoylan.org/pages/os2/FtpServer.html
    > -> > ftp://ftp.pmoylan.org/FtpServer/ftpser130.zip
    > ->
    > -> Where was the announcement?
    >
    > It was on the VOICE newslist 5 days ago for one. Peter is one of the
    > few developers that is really good about sending announcements out to
    > the announcement list. It is usually then picked up from there on the
    > OS/2-eCS related news websites.

    Since the newsgroups are usually pretty active I assume most news hits
    here too, but this one slipped. Guess I'll go back to checking a few
    key web sites to stay informed. Thanks Mark.

  3. Re: Recommendations for GUI FTP client?

    tholen@antispam.ham wrote:
    > Peter Brown writes:
    >
    >>Exactly my findings - sadly it seemed to have been a bit of a well kept
    >>secret that the inbuilt ftpd "is useless with almost any ftp client that
    >>exists" until I asked in the os2-uk user group mailing list :-)

    > I'm mildly surprised, as I've not had much trouble with the OS/2 FTP
    > daemon. I've used it extensively with Solaris, Linux, and OS/2 clients
    > without trouble. The troublesome client is the Windows client, but
    > that client also has trouble with Linux and Solaris daemons. I've
    > experienced the Windows FTP client stopping partway through a transfer
    > and eventually die with a "netout: connection reset by peer" error
    > message. I've speculated that it can't handle gigabit network speeds
    > very well.

    I think any simple text-based FTP clients will handle it just fine, with
    the exception you noted about the Windows one (which I've also
    experienced on fast local connections). The text-based ones that don't
    try to interpret the directory information, leaving that up to the user,
    are the ones that will work (NCFTP and the like are not in this
    category). The GUI clients have the real problems.

  4. Re: Recommendations for GUI FTP client?

    On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 22:55:37 UTC, rcpj@panix.com (Pierre Jelenc) wrote:

    > > JFTP is pretty decent.
    > > http://www.jmethods.com/products/jftp/

    > Which Java do you use? I'm getting an error:
    >
    > Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError:

    I use version 3.0 of JFTP with Innotek Java 1.4.2.

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

    Please take off hat when replying.

  5. Re: Recommendations for GUI FTP client?

    Hi Marty

    Marty wrote:
    > Peter Brown wrote:
    >> Just in case you missed the announcement ftpserver v1.30 is now available
    >>
    >> http://www.pmoylan.org/pages/os2/FtpServer.html
    >> ftp://ftp.pmoylan.org/FtpServer/ftpser130.zip

    > Where was the announcement?

    Ummm...

    1 of several places that I check a couple of times a week I guess;
    probably os2voice or os2world as they both post about software
    releases/updates.

    Regards

    Pete

    > Cool... Peter made a good security change that has been bugging me for a
    > long time:
    >
    > Added check for repeated probes that look like
    > a dictionary attack. This version does not
    > update the filter in the INI file.
    >
    > I've been manually watching for these clowns and banning IP ranges. Now
    > I don't have to. :-) Thanks Peter! (and you too Peter, for bringing
    > this to my attention!)

  6. Re: Recommendations for GUI FTP client?

    Hi Pierre

    Pierre Jelenc wrote:
    > Alex Taylor writes:
    >> JFTP is pretty decent.
    >> http://www.jmethods.com/products/jftp/

    > Which Java do you use? I'm getting an error:
    >
    > Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError:
    > net/sf/jftp/JFtp (Unsupported major.minor version 49.0)
    > at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java :539)
    > at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(Secure ClassLoader.java:123)
    > at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader .java:251)
    > at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(URLClassLoader. java:55)
    > at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java: 194)
    > at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.j ava:187)
    > at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:2 89)
    > at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launche r.java:274)
    > at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:2 35)
    > at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoade r.java:302)
    >
    > Pierre

    java142_09 SDK is installed here; no other java on the system.

    Regards

    Pete

  7. Re: Recommendations for GUI FTP client?

    Peter Brown writes:

    > java142_09 SDK is installed here; no other java on the system.

    Same here. Strange!

    Pierre
    --
    Pierre Jelenc
    The Gigometer www.gigometer.com

  8. Re: Recommendations for GUI FTP client?

    In article ,
    Marty wrote:
    >I think any simple text-based FTP clients will handle it just fine, with
    >the exception you noted about the Windows one (which I've also
    >experienced on fast local connections). The text-based ones that don't
    >try to interpret the directory information, leaving that up to the user,
    >are the ones that will work (NCFTP and the like are not in this
    >category). The GUI clients have the real problems.

    The old shareware version of WS_FTP (www.wsftp.com) that I used extensively
    back in the 2000 to 2003 timeframe worked fine with the OS/2 FTP daemon when
    accessing from a Windows box.

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"

  9. Re: Recommendations for GUI FTP client?

    Don Hills writes:

    > Marty wrote:

    >> I think any simple text-based FTP clients will handle it just fine, with
    >> the exception you noted about the Windows one (which I've also
    >> experienced on fast local connections). The text-based ones that don't
    >> try to interpret the directory information, leaving that up to the user,
    >> are the ones that will work (NCFTP and the like are not in this
    >> category). The GUI clients have the real problems.

    > The old shareware version of WS_FTP (www.wsftp.com) that I used extensively
    > back in the 2000 to 2003 timeframe worked fine with the OS/2 FTP daemon when
    > accessing from a Windows box.

    Unfortunately, that web site doesn't seem to offer a shareware version
    anymore. They sell the home version without support for $39.95, and
    support costs $30 more.

    I also tried NCFTP. Didn't seem to work with the OS/2 FTP daemon. It would
    connect, but it wouldn't transfer any files.

    FTP Commander is GUI based, and it wouldn't show the filenames from the OS/2
    end, but it worked, and seems to be fast and reliable. Not a single failure
    during a session in which I transferred about 10 GB worth of data in a half
    dozen directories. Compare that with the Microsoft FTP client, which
    couldn't even complete a single directory transfer without dying from a
    "Netout: connection reset by peer" failure. I guess Microsoft is so busy
    fixing security holes in Windows that they don't have time to fix their FTP
    client, which doesn't even support the specification of the port number like
    other clients do.

    I have only a rudimentary knowledge of passive mode. Does the OS/2 FTP
    daemon support passive mode?

  10. Re: Recommendations for GUI FTP client?

    On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 04:09:46 UTC, Marty
    wrote:

    > I think any simple text-based FTP clients will handle it just fine, with
    > the exception you noted about the Windows one (which I've also
    > experienced on fast local connections). The text-based ones that don't
    > try to interpret the directory information, leaving that up to the user,
    > are the ones that will work (NCFTP and the like are not in this
    > category). The GUI clients have the real problems.

    I've been distracted by travel and other work during this discussion,
    so forgive me if my questions have already been answered.

    Did anyone find a good GUI client?

    Just yesterday I had the ..um.. opportunity of setting up a web site
    on a new host server. The hosting service has a file commander type
    application in its control panel where you can tediously
    upload/download files. It works well for single files, but failed
    (for me) to handle directories containing sub-directories very well.

    Since I've owned EmTec Network Suite for ages, I dusted off EmTec FTP
    5.0.7 to transfer whole directories containing zillions of files to
    the UNIX server. It worked great, just sent data lickity split,
    completed the task, and then *BONG* totally locked up my system. I'd
    have to reboot in order to do anything after that.

    I know this is ancient software, but if it weren't for that one little
    lockup issue, I'd totally be satisfied with the way EmTec FTP client
    works. Does it work that way for everyone or am I special?

    --
    Barbara

  11. Re: Recommendations for GUI FTP client?

    On 23.09.07 14:57, Barbara wrote:

    > Did anyone find a good GUI client?

    Have you looked at Netdrive?

    --
    Andreas Schnellbacher

  12. Re: Recommendations for GUI FTP client?

    On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 16:54:56 UTC, Andreas Schnellbacher
    wrote:

    > On 23.09.07 14:57, Barbara wrote:
    >
    > > Did anyone find a good GUI client?

    > Have you looked at Netdrive?

    Not until now. I'd forgotten about that program, which is pretty
    sophisticated, and probably more than I need. There's a pretty good
    description of it on:

    http://www.os2ezine.com/20010916/page_3.html

    Thanks

    --
    Barbara

  13. Re: Recommendations for GUI FTP client?

    On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 12:57:22 UTC, "Barbara" wrote:

    > Did anyone find a good GUI client?

    Per an earlier suggestion in this thread, I installed the FireFTP
    add-on for Firefox. I haven't given it a really hard workout but
    so far I'm pleased. It has everything you'd expect of an FTP
    client: side-by-side local & remote directory listings, one-click
    login for sites, easy transfer of multiple files & folders, etc, etc.

    --
    == == almost usable email address: rws AT e-vertise.com == ==

    | Remote Workplace Server v0.80
    Rich Walsh | interact with the WPS from any program
    Ft Myers, FL | http://e-vertise.com/rws/rws080.zip

  14. Re: Recommendations for GUI FTP client?

    On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 19:07:24 UTC, "Rich Walsh"
    wrote:

    > On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 12:57:22 UTC, "Barbara" wrote:
    >
    > > Did anyone find a good GUI client?

    > Per an earlier suggestion in this thread, I installed the FireFTP
    > add-on for Firefox. I haven't given it a really hard workout but
    > so far I'm pleased. It has everything you'd expect of an FTP
    > client: side-by-side local & remote directory listings, one-click
    > login for sites, easy transfer of multiple files & folders, etc, etc.

    Perfect!

    I just used it to download the whole web site I uploaded yesterday.
    Not huge, but it has many small .jpg and .html files. Worked great to
    get the updated version back on my computer for tinkering.

    I usually use Seamonkey, but will keep FireFox around just for this.

    Thanks

    --
    Barbara

  15. Re: Recommendations for GUI FTP client?

    Barbara wrote:

    >> Per an earlier suggestion in this thread, I installed the FireFTP
    >> add-on for Firefox.

    > I usually use Seamonkey, but will keep FireFox around just for this.

    I haven't tried it myself, but you apparently don't need Firefox:
    http://xsidebar.mozdev.org/modifiedmisc.html#fireftp

  16. Re: Recommendations for GUI FTP client?

    On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 23:02:00 UTC, Steve Wendt
    wrote:

    > Barbara wrote:
    >
    > >> Per an earlier suggestion in this thread, I installed the FireFTP
    > >> add-on for Firefox.

    > > I usually use Seamonkey, but will keep FireFox around just for this.

    > I haven't tried it myself, but you apparently don't need Firefox:
    > http://xsidebar.mozdev.org/modifiedmisc.html#fireftp

    Dang! You're just full of good stuff, aren't you?

    I just installed it, and it looks just like the FireFox one, (duh). I
    usually stay away from extraneous plugins, extensions and other
    addons, but this one is just what I need.

    Thanks

    --
    Barbara

  17. Re: Recommendations for GUI FTP client?

    Rich Walsh writes:

    > Barbara wrote:

    >> Did anyone find a good GUI client?

    > Per an earlier suggestion in this thread, I installed the FireFTP
    > add-on for Firefox. I haven't given it a really hard workout but
    > so far I'm pleased. It has everything you'd expect of an FTP
    > client: side-by-side local & remote directory listings, one-click
    > login for sites, easy transfer of multiple files & folders, etc, etc.

    I couldn't find a way to get a remote OS/2 system to change drive
    letters using FireFTP on a Windows client. Entering the desired
    directory as, for example, "J:\" caused FireFTP to attempt to change
    directories to /J:, which of course fails. Looks like it's expecting
    some sort of UNIX file system on the remote side.

  18. Re: Recommendations for GUI FTP client?

    I have a problem with the combination of NetDrive and File Commander/2 when
    unpacking files from a zip-archive to a network drive, specifically a webhost
    account. For some reasons the files transferred are all exactly twice as
    large as their true size. If I first unpack them on my desktop computer and
    /then/ transfer them using the same combination of NetDrive and FC/2, they
    are transferred correctly.

    This is using NetDrive 3.0.2.20. Has anyone noted the same problem?

    On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 18:54:56 +0200, Andreas Schnellbacher wrote:

    :>On 23.09.07 14:57, Barbara wrote:
    :>
    :>> Did anyone find a good GUI client?
    :>
    :>Have you looked at Netdrive?
    :>
    :>--
    :>Andreas Schnellbacher

  19. Re: Recommendations for GUI FTP client?

    Hi

    tholen@antispam.ham wrote:
    > Rich Walsh writes:
    >
    >> Barbara wrote:

    >>> Did anyone find a good GUI client?

    >> Per an earlier suggestion in this thread, I installed the FireFTP
    >> add-on for Firefox. I haven't given it a really hard workout but
    >> so far I'm pleased. It has everything you'd expect of an FTP
    >> client: side-by-side local & remote directory listings, one-click
    >> login for sites, easy transfer of multiple files & folders, etc, etc.

    > I couldn't find a way to get a remote OS/2 system to change drive
    > letters using FireFTP on a Windows client. Entering the desired
    > directory as, for example, "J:\" caused FireFTP to attempt to change
    > directories to /J:, which of course fails. Looks like it's expecting
    > some sort of UNIX file system on the remote side.

    Is the OS/2 system running the OS/2 supplied ftpd.exe?

    If "Yes" then that is probably the problem.

    I had directory listing problems when using anything but the FTPPM gui
    to access an OS/2 system running the "standard" ftpd.exe

    I suggest you use ftpserver instead as that works well with most clients
    - you'll probably find that you need to setup symbolic links to your drives
    http://www.pmoylan.org/pages/os2/FtpServer.html

    Regards

    Pete

  20. Re: Recommendations for GUI FTP client?

    wrote:

    > Barbara wrote:
    >
    > >> Per an earlier suggestion in this thread, I installed the FireFTP
    > >> add-on for Firefox.

    > > I usually use Seamonkey, but will keep FireFox around just for this.

    > I haven't tried it myself, but you apparently don't need Firefox:
    > http://xsidebar.mozdev.org/modifiedmisc.html#fireftp

    I have to insert an "OOPS" here. When I tried the FireFTP for
    Seamonkey, it initially looked ok, but I couldn't get it to let me set
    up transfer necessities. Trying to open "Manage Account" does
    nothing. Won't open to let me put in the remote host, IDs and
    passwords.

    The version I installed on FireFox works perfectly. Go figure...

    I probably have to do something to Seamonkey that I haven't found yet.
    I think it said something about needing a side bar (or similar) which
    I ignored in my excitement. A while back I tried everything I could
    think to get rid of the side bar when I installed Seamonkey. I just
    don't use it. I'll have to go back and check.

    --
    Barbara

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast