Trash Can - OS2

This is a discussion on Trash Can - OS2 ; I "trash caned" a large fat23 partition (scache store) and tried to empty the trash can. This resulted in a workspace restart. I then tried to show the contents, and the workspace restarted. I could see the content list for ...

  1. Trash Can

    I "trash caned" a large fat23 partition (scache store) and tried to empty
    the trash can. This resulted in a workspace restart. I then tried to show
    the contents, and the workspace restarted. I could see the content list
    for about one second before the restart, and all items had 0 size. After a
    few tries, I then used warp-in to uninstall and re-booted. Installed
    1-0-7 and installed trash can. Problem was still there. I then did the
    uninstall again and deleted the trash can folder in desktop.
    uninstall-reinstall again - problem still there. Ran regedit and looked
    for trash can, and any like items, none found. Than ran editini, found no
    entries. If anyone can offer any hints how to fix this, thanks in
    advance... Ben

    Posted here - cannot post to xwork jgroup...

  2. Re: Trash Can

    On 3 Aug 2007 19:15:21 +0100, Ben B. ProNews/2 User
    wrote:

    > I "trash caned" a large fat23 partition (scache store) and tried to empty
    > the trash can. This resulted in a workspace restart. I then tried to show
    > the contents, and the workspace restarted. I could see the content list
    > for about one second before the restart, and all items had 0 size. After a
    > few tries, I then used warp-in to uninstall and re-booted. Installed
    > 1-0-7 and installed trash can. Problem was still there. I then did the
    > uninstall again and deleted the trash can folder in desktop.
    > uninstall-reinstall again - problem still there. Ran regedit and looked
    > for trash can, and any like items, none found. Than ran editini, found no
    > entries. If anyone can offer any hints how to fix this, thanks in
    > advance... Ben

    Delete the hidden \TRASH folders (and all contents) on all drives.
    Did you get an XWPTRAP.LOG file in the root of your boot drive?

  3. Re: Trash Can

    On Sat, 4 Aug 2007 00:47:36 UTC, Paul Ratcliffe
    wrote:

    > On 3 Aug 2007 19:15:21 +0100, Ben B. ProNews/2 User
    > wrote:
    >
    > > I "trash caned" a large fat23 partition (scache store) and tried to empty
    > > the trash can. This resulted in a workspace restart. I then tried to show
    > > the contents, and the workspace restarted. I could see the content list
    > > for about one second before the restart, and all items had 0 size. After a
    > > few tries, I then used warp-in to uninstall and re-booted. Installed
    > > 1-0-7 and installed trash can. Problem was still there. I then did the
    > > uninstall again and deleted the trash can folder in desktop.
    > > uninstall-reinstall again - problem still there. Ran regedit and looked
    > > for trash can, and any like items, none found. Than ran editini, found no
    > > entries. If anyone can offer any hints how to fix this, thanks in
    > > advance... Ben

    > Delete the hidden \TRASH folders (and all contents) on all drives.
    > Did you get an XWPTRAP.LOG file in the root of your boot drive?

    Thanks for the reply...
    No xwptrap.log - did a search of all drives - no file. Could not find any
    hidden trash folders, but only searched the root of each drive. Is there
    another place to look? Ben

  4. Re: Trash Can

    wrote:

    > On 3 Aug 2007 19:15:21 +0100, Ben B. ProNews/2 User
    > wrote:
    >
    > > I "trash caned" a large fat23 partition (scache store) and tried to empty
    > > the trash can. This resulted in a workspace restart. I then tried to show
    > > the contents, and the workspace restarted. I could see the content list
    > > for about one second before the restart, and all items had 0 size. After a
    > > few tries, I then used warp-in to uninstall and re-booted. Installed
    > > 1-0-7 and installed trash can. Problem was still there. I then did the
    > > uninstall again and deleted the trash can folder in desktop.
    > > uninstall-reinstall again - problem still there. Ran regedit and looked
    > > for trash can, and any like items, none found. Than ran editini, found no
    > > entries. If anyone can offer any hints how to fix this, thanks in
    > > advance... Ben

    > Delete the hidden \TRASH folders (and all contents) on all drives.
    > Did you get an XWPTRAP.LOG file in the root of your boot drive?

    More info. I reinstalled trashcan - same as before - but got a popup.os2.

    08-04-2007 14:29:12 SYS3175 PID 0104 TID 0013 Slot 0072
    J:\OS2\PMSHELL.EXE
    c0000005
    1ffc1b65
    P1=00000001 P2=6d617246 P3=XXXXXXXX P4=XXXXXXXX
    EAX=6d617246 EBX=00000001 ECX=014064a4 EDX=21000000
    ESI=01204d30 EDI=025cd4a8
    DS=0053 DSACC=f0f3 DSLIM=ffffffff
    ES=0053 ESACC=f0f3 ESLIM=ffffffff
    FS=150b FSACC=00f3 FSLIM=00000030
    GS=0000 GSACC=**** GSLIM=********
    CS:EIP=005b:1ffc1b65 CSACC=f0df CSLIM=ffffffff
    SS:ESP=0053:01406490 SSACC=f0f3 SSLIM=ffffffff
    EBP=01406490 FLG=00010293

    DOSCALL1.DLL 0002:00001b65

    Again I cannot find any trash folders... Ben

  5. Re: Trash Can

    On Sat, 4 Aug 2007 18:56:09 UTC, "Ben B. ProNews/2 User"
    wrote:

    > On Sat, 4 Aug 2007 00:47:36 UTC, Paul Ratcliffe
    > wrote:
    >
    > > On 3 Aug 2007 19:15:21 +0100, Ben B. ProNews/2 User
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > > I "trash caned" a large fat23 partition (scache store) and tried to empty
    > > > the trash can. This resulted in a workspace restart. I then tried to show
    > > > the contents, and the workspace restarted. I could see the content list
    > > > for about one second before the restart, and all items had 0 size. After a
    > > > few tries, I then used warp-in to uninstall and re-booted. Installed
    > > > 1-0-7 and installed trash can. Problem was still there. I then did the
    > > > uninstall again and deleted the trash can folder in desktop.
    > > > uninstall-reinstall again - problem still there. Ran regedit and looked
    > > > for trash can, and any like items, none found. Than ran editini, found no
    > > > entries. If anyone can offer any hints how to fix this, thanks in
    > > > advance... Ben

    > > Delete the hidden \TRASH folders (and all contents) on all drives.
    > > Did you get an XWPTRAP.LOG file in the root of your boot drive?

    > More info. I reinstalled trashcan - same as before - but got a popup.os2.
    >
    > 08-04-2007 14:29:12 SYS3175 PID 0104 TID 0013 Slot 0072
    > J:\OS2\PMSHELL.EXE
    > c0000005
    > 1ffc1b65
    > P1=00000001 P2=6d617246 P3=XXXXXXXX P4=XXXXXXXX
    > EAX=6d617246 EBX=00000001 ECX=014064a4 EDX=21000000
    > ESI=01204d30 EDI=025cd4a8
    > DS=0053 DSACC=f0f3 DSLIM=ffffffff
    > ES=0053 ESACC=f0f3 ESLIM=ffffffff
    > FS=150b FSACC=00f3 FSLIM=00000030
    > GS=0000 GSACC=**** GSLIM=********
    > CS:EIP=005b:1ffc1b65 CSACC=f0df CSLIM=ffffffff
    > SS:ESP=0053:01406490 SSACC=f0f3 SSLIM=ffffffff
    > EBP=01406490 FLG=00010293
    >
    > DOSCALL1.DLL 0002:00001b65
    >
    > Again I cannot find any trash folders... Ben

    OK I found it... I did finally find the trash folder on the fat32
    partition. Could not delete using OS2. Had to boot to WIN2K and it
    did delete it. Trying to delete using any os2 method would either crash
    - reboot - or restart the workplace. FYI when the workplace re-started
    it did not run the xwork startup folder as it should. Could this be a
    FAT32 problem? Any way I have the trashcan back. I had read xwork the help
    files but you got me to see things differently. Thanks again Ben

  6. Re: Trash Can

    On 4 Aug 2007 20:37:28 +0100, Ben B. ProNews/2 User
    wrote:

    > OK I found it... I did finally find the trash folder on the fat32
    > partition. Could not delete using OS2. Had to boot to WIN2K and it
    > did delete it. Trying to delete using any os2 method would either crash
    > - reboot - or restart the workplace.

    Even from the command line? I find that hard to believe unless the IFS is
    buggy. If it is, then all bets are off.

    > FYI when the workplace re-started
    > it did not run the xwork startup folder as it should.

    Depends whether it's the regular OS/2 Startup Folder or an XWP Startup folder
    and if the latter whether it is set to "Reboots Only" or "Every Desktop
    Restart".

    > Could this be a FAT32 problem?

    No.

  7. Re: Trash Can

    On Sun, 5 Aug 2007 13:17:55 UTC, Paul Ratcliffe
    wrote:

    > On 4 Aug 2007 20:37:28 +0100, Ben B. ProNews/2 User
    > wrote:
    >

    > > OK I found it... I did finally find the trash folder on the fat32
    > > partition. Could not delete using OS2. Had to boot to WIN2K and it
    > > did delete it. Trying to delete using any os2 method would either crash
    > > - reboot - or restart the workplace.

    > Even from the command line? I find that hard to believe unless the IFS is
    > buggy. If it is, then all bets are off.
    >
    > > FYI when the workplace re-started
    > > it did not run the xwork startup folder as it should.

    > Depends whether it's the regular OS/2 Startup Folder or an XWP Startup folder
    > and if the latter whether it is set to "Reboots Only" or "Every Desktop
    > Restart".
    >
    > > Could this be a FAT32 problem?

    > No.

    Was an xwork startup folder, which was fine except when trying the delete.
    Tried command.com delete, 4os2 delete, 4os2 /z (delete no matter what),
    and the files folder.) Did not think to try dos. Out of the 8-10 items,
    two were left that would not delete, saw this in win2k. All a bit strange.
    Thanks again... Ben

  8. Re: Trash Can

    Ben B. ProNews/2 User wrote:
    > On Sun, 5 Aug 2007 13:17:55 UTC, Paul Ratcliffe
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On 4 Aug 2007 20:37:28 +0100, Ben B. ProNews/2 User
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>> OK I found it... I did finally find the trash folder on the fat32
    >>> partition. Could not delete using OS2. Had to boot to WIN2K and it
    >>> did delete it. Trying to delete using any os2 method would either crash
    >>> - reboot - or restart the workplace.

    > Was an xwork startup folder, which was fine except when trying the delete.
    > Tried command.com delete, 4os2 delete, 4os2 /z (delete no matter what),
    > and the files folder.) Did not think to try dos. Out of the 8-10 items,
    > two were left that would not delete, saw this in win2k. All a bit strange.
    > Thanks again... Ben

    Using 4OS2.EXE, you can unhide the hidden or system folders with:

    ATTRIB -HS C:\*.* /D

    This will reveal all of the directories.

    To completely delete a folder/directory and its contents, without asking
    any questions use:

    DEL C:\FOLDER /S /X /W /Y

    Since the \Trash folder is being used by the WPS, you can not delete it
    or its contents while it is "registered" with the WPS. You must boot-up
    from a different partition or boot disk, that does not have the TrashCan
    feature, such as text-mode only boot-up.

    Booting-up from Win32 should have been able to do this with its version
    of 4NT.EXE, I assume.

  9. Re: Trash Can

    On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 12:46:14 UTC, Nobody wrote:

    > Ben B. ProNews/2 User wrote:
    > > On Sun, 5 Aug 2007 13:17:55 UTC, Paul Ratcliffe
    > > wrote:

    > > Was an xwork startup folder, which was fine except when trying the delete.
    > > Tried command.com delete, 4os2 delete, 4os2 /z (delete no matter what),
    > > and the files folder.) Did not think to try dos. Out of the 8-10 items,
    > > two were left that would not delete, saw this in win2k. All a bit strange.
    > > Thanks again... Ben

    > Using 4OS2.EXE, you can unhide the hidden or system folders with:
    >
    > ATTRIB -HS C:\*.* /D
    >
    > This will reveal all of the directories.
    >
    > To completely delete a folder/directory and its contents, without asking
    > any questions use:
    >
    > DEL C:\FOLDER /S /X /W /Y
    >
    > Since the \Trash folder is being used by the WPS, you can not delete it
    > or its contents while it is "registered" with the WPS. You must boot-up
    > from a different partition or boot disk, that does not have the TrashCan
    > feature, such as text-mode only boot-up.
    >
    > Booting-up from Win32 should have been able to do this with its version
    > of 4NT.EXE, I assume.

    Thanks for the reply... The problem was NOTHING in os2 would delete this
    folder.
    /Z is suppose to delete anything, and it would not do it either. I still
    think this could have been a fat32 problem. Ben

  10. Re: Trash Can

    On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 05:46:14 -0700, Nobody wrote:

    > Since the \Trash folder is being used by the WPS, you can not delete it
    > or its contents while it is "registered" with the WPS. You must boot-up
    > from a different partition or boot disk, that does not have the TrashCan
    > feature, such as text-mode only boot-up.

    I don't know where you get these fanciful ideas from, but they are most
    certainly not true.

  11. Re: Trash Can

    Paul Ratcliffe wrote:
    > On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 05:46:14 -0700, Nobody wrote:
    >
    >> Since the \Trash folder is being used by the WPS, you can not delete it
    >> or its contents while it is "registered" with the WPS. You must boot-up
    >> from a different partition or boot disk, that does not have the TrashCan
    >> feature, such as text-mode only boot-up.

    > I don't know where you get these fanciful ideas from, but they are most
    > certainly not true.

    Since I have used the shareware TrashCan program for many years, I am
    familar with this problem. Its folder is registered by the TRASHCAN.DLL
    file, and the folder and its TrashCan program contents can not be
    deleted while the TRASHCAN.DLL is loaded and all of its registrations
    being used.

    By removing the registration, one can then delete the \TRASHCAN folder
    and its contents.

    Perhaps silly of me to think of that XWP or EWP Trash program is a WPS
    registered "object" that works the same way.

  12. Re: Trash Can

    On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 03:52:56 -0700, Nobody wrote:

    > Since I have used the shareware TrashCan program for many years, I am
    > familar with this problem. Its folder is registered by the TRASHCAN.DLL
    > file, and the folder and its TrashCan program contents can not be
    > deleted while the TRASHCAN.DLL is loaded and all of its registrations
    > being used.
    >
    > By removing the registration, one can then delete the \TRASHCAN folder
    > and its contents.

    Different software, similar functionality, possibly different rules.

    > Perhaps silly of me to think of that XWP or EWP Trash program is a WPS
    > registered "object" that works the same way.

    There is no such thing as a registered "object".
    The only way any filesystem entity can be prevented from being deleted is if
    it is open (for a file) or the current directory in some process
    (for a directory).

  13. Re: Trash Can

    Paul Ratcliffe wrote:
    > On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 03:52:56 -0700, Nobody wrote:

    snip
    >> By removing the registration, one can then delete the \TRASHCAN folder
    >> and its contents.

    > Different software, similar functionality, possibly different rules.
    >
    >> Perhaps silly of me to think of that XWP or EWP Trash program is a WPS
    >> registered "object" that works the same way.

    > There is no such thing as a registered "object".
    > The only way any filesystem entity can be prevented from being deleted is if
    > it is open (for a file) or the current directory in some process
    > (for a directory).

    Sorry, of course I don't have the program in use at this time. But, as I
    recall, the DLL file was registered with the WPS. It created a WPS
    Object on the WPS, named the TrashCan folder. This was similar to a
    shadow, of the \TRASHCAN directory on the hard drive. One could not
    delete either one without first un-registering the TrashCan object.

    Doesn't Unimaint refer to these registered DLL files as objects?

    The \TRASCAN folder was not a file system, but a directory that was
    locked, and so were some of its contents that were being used by the
    TrashCan software. (Once could remove the deleted files, but not the
    TrashCan's operating files. And if one did, it completely screwed-up the

    TrashCan's logic in keeping track of deleted files.

  14. Re: Trash Can

    In <46daa911@kcnews01>, on 09/02/2007
    at 05:14 AM, Nobody said:

    >Doesn't Unimaint refer to these registered DLL files as objects?

    No. It correctly refers to them as Class DLLs.

    Steven

    Steven Levine MR2/ICE 3.00 beta 08pre #10183

  15. Re: Trash Can

    Steven Levine wrote:
    > In <46daa911@kcnews01>, on 09/02/2007
    > at 05:14 AM, Nobody said:
    >
    >> Doesn't Unimaint refer to these registered DLL files as objects?

    > No. It correctly refers to them as Class DLLs.
    >
    > Steven

    Ah. Thank you.

+ Reply to Thread