PMraw - OS2

This is a discussion on PMraw - OS2 ; I employed PMraw to convert Canon .CR2 RAW files to PPM files for viewing in PMview. The logs say:- 16:50:49.16> 'dcraw -w -b 1.0 -r 1.0 -l 1.0 -2 "I:\DCIM\908CANON\IMG_9722.CR2"' 16:51:56.16> -completed- 3946x2620 24bpp 30289Kb -38% Pixmap I:\DCIM\908CANON\IMG_9722.PPM The resulting ...

  1. PMraw

    I employed PMraw to convert Canon .CR2 RAW files to PPM files for viewing in
    PMview. The logs say:-

    16:50:49.16> 'dcraw -w -b 1.0 -r 1.0 -l 1.0 -2 "I:\DCIM\908CANON\IMG_9722.CR2"'
    16:51:56.16> -completed-

    3946x2620 24bpp 30289Kb -38% Pixmap I:\DCIM\908CANON\IMG_9722.PPM

    The resulting images were erratic and bizarre each time I ran the process on the
    same RAW files.

    Any suggestions?

  2. Re: PMraw

    Hi john

    johnsuth@nospam.com.au wrote:
    > I employed PMraw to convert Canon .CR2 RAW files to PPM files for viewing in
    > PMview. The logs say:-
    >
    > 16:50:49.16> 'dcraw -w -b 1.0 -r 1.0 -l 1.0 -2 "I:\DCIM\908CANON\IMG_9722.CR2"'
    > 16:51:56.16> -completed-
    >
    > 3946x2620 24bpp 30289Kb -38% Pixmap I:\DCIM\908CANON\IMG_9722.PPM
    >
    > The resulting images were erratic and bizarre each time I ran the process on the
    > same RAW files.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    Maybe nConvert will do a better job.

    You should be able to find a copy from this page http://www.xnview.com

    If it works you may want to send the author an email thanking them for
    maintaining the OS/2 version at the same level as Windows/Mac/linux/FreeBSD.

    Regards

    Pete

  3. Re: PMraw

    > The resulting images were erratic and bizarre each time I ran the process on the
    > same RAW files.

    Could you be a bit more precise?

  4. Re: PMraw

    Servus Heiko!

    HN> From: Heiko Nitzsche

    >> The resulting images were erratic and bizarre each time I ran the process
    >> on the same RAW files.

    HN> Could you be a bit more precise?

    He means, the supplied dcraw.exe is too old and can not handle each different
    ..CR2 raw file.

    Herzliche Gruesse, Harald

    -+- Message created on Saturday August, 04 2007 07:49:57 mez

  5. Re: PMraw

    In , johnsuth@nospam.com.au writes:

    >I employed PMraw to convert Canon .CR2 RAW files to PPM files for viewing in
    >PMview. The logs say:-
    >
    >16:50:49.16> 'dcraw -w -b 1.0 -r 1.0 -l 1.0 -2 "I:\DCIM\908CANON\IMG_9722.CR2"'
    >16:51:56.16> -completed-
    >
    >3946x2620 24bpp 30289Kb -38% Pixmap I:\DCIM\908CANON\IMG_9722.PPM
    >
    >The resulting images were erratic and bizarre each time I ran the process on the
    >same RAW files.
    >
    >Any suggestions?

    Sorry I am late in responding to your suggestions; my ISP stopped feeding the
    news and I had to check Google groups to see your suggestions.

    PMraw produced either all black; or dual images , one with a yellow cast and one
    with blue; or four images where the second pair were from a second file on the
    card.

    I downloaded Nconvert 4.61 and it runs. However it is dated 2004 and does not
    support recent camera formats. I emailed the author as suggested.

    Thanks.

  6. Re: PMraw

    > PMraw produced either all black; or dual images , one with a yellow cast and one
    > with blue; or four images where the second pair were from a second file on the
    > card.
    >
    > I downloaded Nconvert 4.61 and it runs. However it is dated 2004 and does not
    > support recent camera formats. I emailed the author as suggested.

    As Harald pointed out, the version of dcraw shipped with PMRaw
    might be too old to understand the format. On Hobbes there is
    a newer version of dcraw

    http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/cgi-bin/h-sea...hbutton=Search

    I cannot test it at the moment but I emailed the author of the OS/2 port
    long time ago because his initial version did not work with PMRaw due to
    command line changes. But I can't tell currently if the latest version
    on Hobbes is compatible with PMRaw. Try it. Otherwise you can still use
    it via command line.

    In regard to Nconvert, there was somewhere a post about a recent version.
    I think it was on www.os2.de in the forum but I'm not sure. So try google.

  7. Re: PMraw

    In <46bc2670$0$11045$9b4e6d93@newsspool2.arcor-online.net>, Heiko Nitzsche writes:
    >> PMraw produced either all black; or dual images , one with a yellow cast and one
    >> with blue; or four images where the second pair were from a second file on the
    >> card.
    >>
    >> I downloaded Nconvert 4.61 and it runs. However it is dated 2004 and does not
    >> support recent camera formats. I emailed the author as suggested.

    >As Harald pointed out, the version of dcraw shipped with PMRaw
    >might be too old to understand the format. On Hobbes there is
    >a newer version of dcraw
    >
    >http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/cgi-bin/h-sea...hbutton=Search
    >
    >I cannot test it at the moment but I emailed the author of the OS/2 port
    >long time ago because his initial version did not work with PMRaw due to
    >command line changes. But I can't tell currently if the latest version
    >on Hobbes is compatible with PMRaw. Try it. Otherwise you can still use
    >it via command line.
    >
    >In regard to Nconvert, there was somewhere a post about a recent version.
    >I think it was on www.os2.de in the forum but I'm not sure. So try google.

    DCraw 8.49 seems to convert .CR2 files from the command line but not from PMraw
    1.41.

    I seem to have the latest Nconvert.

    Many thanks for your suggestions.

  8. Re: PMraw

    > I seem to have the latest Nconvert.

    You can get the latest Nconvert 4.79 for OS/2 here:
    http://download2.xnview.com/Nconvert-os2.zip

  9. Re: PMraw

    In , johnsuth@nospam.com.au writes:
    >In <46c0cac7$0$7694$9b4e6d93@newsspool2.arcor-online.net>, Heiko Nitzsche writes:
    >>> I seem to have the latest Nconvert.

    >>You can get the latest Nconvert 4.79 for OS/2 here:
    >>http://download2.xnview.com/Nconvert-os2.zip
    >>

    >Got it, thanks; and it supports .CR2.

    I spoke too soon; in spite of its inclusion in the list of formats, it is not
    recognised by Nconvert.

  10. Re: PMraw

    In <46c0cac7$0$7694$9b4e6d93@newsspool2.arcor-online.net>, Heiko Nitzsche writes:
    >> I seem to have the latest Nconvert.

    >You can get the latest Nconvert 4.79 for OS/2 here:
    >http://download2.xnview.com/Nconvert-os2.zip

    Got it, thanks; and it supports .CR2.

  11. Re: PMraw

    > DCraw 8.49 seems to convert .CR2 files from the command line but not from PMraw
    > 1.41.

    On Hobbes there is a new dcraw 8.77. Unfortunately all dcraw versions
    above 8.15 have command line options that are incompatible to PM-Raw.
    You can contact Lutz whether he could update PM-Raw to support the
    newer dcraw versions.

    I have dcraw 8.15 from the author of the port (latest version compatible
    with PM-Raw and not on Hobbes) but don't know if it supports your .CR2 files.

    You can get it for testing a limited time here:
    http://heikon.home.tlink.de/temp/dcraw_v8_15.zip

  12. Re: PMraw

    In <46c35079$0$4523$9b4e6d93@newsspool3.arcor-online.net>, Heiko Nitzsche writes:
    >> DCraw 8.49 seems to convert .CR2 files from the command line but not from PMraw
    >> 1.41.

    >On Hobbes there is a new dcraw 8.77. Unfortunately all dcraw versions
    >above 8.15 have command line options that are incompatible to PM-Raw.
    >You can contact Lutz whether he could update PM-Raw to support the
    >newer dcraw versions.
    >
    >I have dcraw 8.15 from the author of the port (latest version compatible
    >with PM-Raw and not on Hobbes) but don't know if it supports your .CR2 files.
    >
    >You can get it for testing a limited time here:
    >http://heikon.home.tlink.de/temp/dcraw_v8_15.zip

    Got it, thanks.

    DCraw 8.15 works with PMraw but the color balance in .CR2 format is sub optimal.

    DCraw 8.49 does better color.

    I e-mailed Lutz.

    Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread