DvdDao: formatting dvd-rw media - OS2

This is a discussion on DvdDao: formatting dvd-rw media - OS2 ; Does anyone understand the point of the DvdDao '--format DvdRwFull' and '--format DvdRwQuick' options for formatting DVD-RW (minus) media? I understood that this was to convert DVD-RW from its default incremental sequential mode to restricted overwrite mode. But when I ...

  1. DvdDao: formatting dvd-rw media

    Does anyone understand the point of the DvdDao '--format DvdRwFull' and
    '--format DvdRwQuick' options for formatting DVD-RW (minus) media? I
    understood that this was to convert DVD-RW from its default incremental
    sequential mode to restricted overwrite mode. But when I tried it, it
    turns out that either option does a long (30 minute) format and produces an
    empty disk that has 0 bytes free. I find it hard to see what this is good
    for

    DVD+RW media is working well for me for backups, and is really convenient. I
    have to do a one-time format on virgin media using the '--format DVD+RW'
    command. This takes only a minute. I have an xcopy2dvd script that runs
    EABackup, MkIsoFs with switches to allow pretty much any HPFS filenames, and
    pipes it right into DvdDao. This makes it really easy to simply 'xcopy' an
    directory tree or entire partition onto any available DVD+RW disk (I keep my
    partitions smaller than DVDs hold). The 'xcopy' works fine even if the disk
    was previously used. It simply overwrites the previous contents, with no
    need to do any new formatting. If I had never heard of DVD-RW media, I'd be
    happy. But I have a bunch of DVD-RW disks too.

    DVD-RW media also works for me for backups, and is arguably safer. I can run
    my script on virgin DVD-RW media without any preparation at all. But I can't
    overwrite a disk without first using the '--blank fast' command, at least.
    OK, I can live with that. It might even protect me from blindly overwriting
    my only backup.

    But that still leaves the question of *why* DVDDAO includes not only the
    options to blank DVD-RW media and format DVD+RW media, but also separate
    options to format DVD-RW media. In every test I have been able to think of,
    this results in an empty disk with 0 bytes free. It did occur to me that
    maybe DVDDAO simply can't write to a DVD-RW disk that has been formatted to
    restricted overwrite mode. But if that's the case, it doesn't make much
    sense to include the formatting option. What am I missing here? (Besides a
    manual for DVDDAO?)

    --
    Walt Gregg (walt at w-gregg dot juneau.ak.us)

  2. Re: DvdDao: formatting dvd-rw media

    walt at w-gregg dot juneau.ak.us wrote:
    > DVD-RW media also works for me for backups, and is arguably safer. I can run
    > my script on virgin DVD-RW media without any preparation at all. But I can't
    > overwrite a disk without first using the '--blank fast' command, at least.
    > OK, I can live with that. It might even protect me from blindly overwriting
    > my only backup.

    Sorry I can't give you proper answers to "why?" but I picked up a stack
    of DVD-RW's at a discounter and found that I had to run

    E:\CD-DVD\dvddao\dvddao -s 4 -d 0,1,0 --format full --eject
    2>h:\iso\logM.txt {all on one line}

    on each one once to make it usable. After that

    E:\CD-DVD\dvddao\dvddao -s 4 -d 0,1,0 --blank fast --eject >logEM.txt

    was all that was necessary to re-use the disk.

    Sometimes the --eject command works, otherwise eject the disk manually
    before the next step.

    Ted

+ Reply to Thread