Polarbar Mailer in Linux - OS2

This is a discussion on Polarbar Mailer in Linux - OS2 ; I am posting this here because I know of nowhere else to seek information about Polarbar Mailer. If someone knows of another forum that is actually _read_, I would like to know about it. I have installed Polarbar in openSuSE ...

  1. Polarbar Mailer in Linux

    I am posting this here because I know of nowhere else to seek
    information about Polarbar Mailer. If someone knows of another forum
    that is actually _read_, I would like to know about it.

    I have installed Polarbar in openSuSE Linux, under Java v1.6. The
    command file with which I start it includes the security policy lines,
    and the secuirty policy file is present.

    The picture of the bear is displayed, and the expected demand for an
    account name is also present. When I type a suggested new name into
    the field provided, I get the unhelpful response: "A new account
    directory could not be created from the specified account name". It
    would be kind if it would tell me why not. Several other names, not
    all polite, were all simllaarly rejected. Why might this be happening?

    An attempt to dismiss the request for a new account name, BTW, brings
    up another message, saying that one can't do that, because you HAVE to
    have an account name.

    --
    Stan Goodman
    Qiryat Tiv'on

  2. Re: Polarbar Mailer in Linux

    Stan Goodman wrote:

    > I am posting this here because I know of nowhere else to seek
    > information about Polarbar Mailer. If someone knows of another forum
    > that is actually _read_, I would like to know about it.
    >
    > I have installed Polarbar in openSuSE Linux, under Java v1.6. The
    > command file with which I start it includes the security policy lines,
    > and the secuirty policy file is present.
    >
    > The picture of the bear is displayed, and the expected demand for an
    > account name is also present. When I type a suggested new name into
    > the field provided, I get the unhelpful response: "A new account
    > directory could not be created from the specified account name". It
    > would be kind if it would tell me why not. Several other names, not
    > all polite, were all simllaarly rejected. Why might this be happening?
    >
    > An attempt to dismiss the request for a new account name, BTW, brings
    > up another message, saying that one can't do that, because you HAVE to
    > have an account name.

    Stan, I have the same setup for all intents and purposes. With PBM on 4
    different machines I have had different issues with each install but the
    basic issue I've had has been with directory permissions. Generally, the
    solution has been to mount the drive/partition with r/w permissions so that
    PBM has enough privilege to write the blasted drive. Usually, the initial
    problem is that you don't have create permissions in order to create the
    required ..../mailer/maildata//. The other one that seems
    to crop up at random is that some directories will be created with
    different capitalizations. I nearly always install and point the program
    to a common .../mailer for every instance to access. Check the target
    folder carefully and look at the capitalization as well as permissions.

    FYI. my command line on this box is (note the '...' around the app path)::
    '/home/will/Polarbar/mailer' -d /os2/F/polarbar/mailer -a will

    On the laptop the launcher uses the same syntax but a different data path
    in -d. You may have to specify a ...../mail in the command argument to
    make sure it puts the data where you think it should.

    --
    Will Honea

  3. Re: Polarbar Mailer in Linux

    -----snip-----

    > Stan, I have the same setup for all intents and purposes. With PBM on
    > 4 different machines I have had different issues with each install but
    > the
    > basic issue I've had has been with directory permissions. Generally,
    > the solution has been to mount the drive/partition with r/w
    > permissions so that
    > PBM has enough privilege to write the blasted drive. Usually, the
    > initial problem is that you don't have create permissions in order to
    > create the
    > required ..../mailer/maildata//. The other one that
    > seems to crop up at random is that some directories will be created
    > with
    > different capitalizations. I nearly always install and point the
    > program
    > to a common .../mailer for every instance to access. Check the target
    > folder carefully and look at the capitalization as well as
    > permissions.
    >
    > FYI. my command line on this box is (note the '...' around the app
    > path):: '/home/will/Polarbar/mailer' -d /os2/F/polarbar/mailer -a will
    >
    > On the laptop the launcher uses the same syntax but a different data
    > path
    > in -d. You may have to specify a ...../mail in the command argument
    > to make sure it puts the data where you think it should.

    After a great deal of horsing around, I have succeeded in getting PBM to
    actually load. I have also established an account, and even sent a
    message. In order to do this, I had to build the Mailer directory tree
    manually. There are two known remaining flies in the ointment.

    1) Although there is only one account, when PBM comes up, the annoying
    tiny window comes up asking me to choose an account or make a new one.
    That doesn't happen on OS/2, and I don't think it should happen with
    Linux. I would like to eliminate it if possible. What makes it
    especially annoying is that it is hidden behind the bear, and is not
    accessible until the bear disappears, which is a longish wait.

    2) PBM is unable to retrieve mail from the ISP. The status line
    announces that the connection is successful, but then says
    that "Download failed". I suppose that this is connected with the Java
    exception below.

    When I load PBM from the terminal, I get the following comlaint from
    Java.

    java.io.FileNotFoundException: /home/stan/bin/polarbar/Mailer/PLATFORM.INI
    (Is
    a directory)
    at java.io.FileInputStream.(Unknown Source)
    at java.io.FileReader.(Unknown Source)
    at org.polarbar.util.PlatformCollection.readCollectio n(Unknown
    Source)
    at org.jstreet.InstallValidation.checkSystemDirs(Unkn own Source)
    at org.jstreet.InstallValidation.checkInstall(Unknown Source)
    at org.jstreet.InstallValidation.(Unknown Source)
    at innoval.mailer.jstreet.main(Unknown Source)
    at org.polarbar.mailer.main(Unknown Source)

    I have no clue what it is complaining about, because I copied the
    settings from the OS/2 installation (with changes for paths, of
    course). Despite what the error message says, PLATFORM.INI is _not_ a
    directory; its permissions are rw in all three places, nothing more.

    --
    Stan Goodman
    QiryatTiv'on

+ Reply to Thread