Firefox running but not responding? - OS2

This is a discussion on Firefox running but not responding? - OS2 ; Just ran into a strange problem. I had installed eCS 1.2 Refresh into a Virtual Machine on a Mac Pro, during which I'd included installing Mozilla (but not Netscape) to get some of the directories in place. Mozilla runs fine. ...

  1. Firefox running but not responding?

    Just ran into a strange problem. I had installed eCS 1.2 Refresh into a
    Virtual Machine on a Mac Pro, during which I'd included installing Mozilla
    (but not Netscape) to get some of the directories in place. Mozilla runs
    fine.

    But I really want Firefox 2.0.0.4 instead of Mozilla. When I invoke Fire-
    fox I get the message:

    'Firefox is already running, but is not responding. To open a new
    window, you must first close the existing Firefox process, or restart
    your system.'

    Using RUN! in the form firefox!L.EXE produces the same message. But
    Mozilla is NOT running. It shows up in neither the window list, nor when
    I run TOP. And it's not even running on the Mac, so there shouldn't be
    any interference from the network.

    Any ideas how to get past this obstacle? Thanks.

    - Dushan Mitrovich

  2. Re: Firefox running but not responding?

    On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 21:31:51 UTC, anti@spamming.org (Dushan Mitrovich)
    opined:
    > Just ran into a strange problem. I had installed eCS 1.2 Refresh into a
    > Virtual Machine on a Mac Pro, during which I'd included installing Mozilla
    > (but not Netscape) to get some of the directories in place. Mozilla runs
    > fine.
    >
    > But I really want Firefox 2.0.0.4 instead of Mozilla. When I invoke Fire-
    > fox I get the message:
    >
    > 'Firefox is already running, but is not responding. To open a new
    > window, you must first close the existing Firefox process, or restart
    > your system.'
    >
    > Using RUN! in the form firefox!L.EXE produces the same message. But
    > Mozilla is NOT running. It shows up in neither the window list, nor when
    > I run TOP. And it's not even running on the Mac, so there shouldn't be
    > any interference from the network.
    >
    > Any ideas how to get past this obstacle? Thanks.
    >
    > - Dushan Mitrovich

    I occasionally get the same message with Firefox v2.0.0.4 under Linux.
    Apparently it isn't peculiar to the OS/2 port.

    --
    Stan Goodman
    Qiryat Tiv'on

  3. Re: Firefox running but not responding?

    Sir:

    Stan Goodman wrote:
    > On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 21:31:51 UTC, anti@spamming.org (Dushan Mitrovich)
    > opined:
    >> Just ran into a strange problem. I had installed eCS 1.2 Refresh into a
    >> Virtual Machine on a Mac Pro, during which I'd included installing Mozilla
    >> (but not Netscape) to get some of the directories in place. Mozilla runs
    >> fine.
    >>
    >> But I really want Firefox 2.0.0.4 instead of Mozilla. When I invoke Fire-
    >> fox I get the message:
    >>
    >> 'Firefox is already running, but is not responding. To open a new
    >> window, you must first close the existing Firefox process, or restart
    >> your system.'
    >>
    >> Using RUN! in the form firefox!L.EXE produces the same message. But
    >> Mozilla is NOT running. It shows up in neither the window list, nor when
    >> I run TOP. And it's not even running on the Mac, so there shouldn't be
    >> any interference from the network.
    >>
    >> Any ideas how to get past this obstacle? Thanks.
    >>
    >> - Dushan Mitrovich

    > I occasionally get the same message with Firefox v2.0.0.4 under Linux.
    > Apparently it isn't peculiar to the OS/2 port.

    There is something call fast load that is a feature of Mozilla. Do you
    remember back a while ago when we OS/2 users had the option to load the
    dlls at boot time. It seems that this ideal has become a part of
    Mozilla. I saw this a couple days ago when I updated SeaMonkey on XP as
    an install option. Since Windows loads SeaMonkey much slower than OS/2,
    I could understand someone needing it. Bet that is what going on your
    machines. And no, I don't know the setting or procedure that disables
    it, unless it is a item in the startup folder that you can delete.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  4. Re: Firefox running but not responding?

    Dushan Mitrovich wrote:

    > 'Firefox is already running, but is not responding. To open a new
    > window, you must first close the existing Firefox process, or restart
    > your system.'

    If I remember correctly, this happens when the profiles aren't quite set
    up right. If you don't have anything important in your profile yet, try
    removing the whole profiles directory, so a new one gets created.

  5. Re: Firefox running but not responding?

    "William L. Hartzell" wrote:
    >Sir:
    >
    >Stan Goodman wrote:
    >> On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 21:31:51 UTC, anti@spamming.org (Dushan Mitrovich)
    >> opined:
    >>> Just ran into a strange problem. I had installed eCS 1.2 Refresh into a
    >>> Virtual Machine on a Mac Pro, during which I'd included installing Mozilla
    >>> (but not Netscape) to get some of the directories in place. Mozilla runs
    >>> fine.
    >>>
    >>> But I really want Firefox 2.0.0.4 instead of Mozilla. When I invoke Fire-
    >>> fox I get the message:
    >>>
    >>> 'Firefox is already running, but is not responding. To open a new
    >>> window, you must first close the existing Firefox process, or restart
    >>> your system.'
    >>>
    >>> Using RUN! in the form firefox!L.EXE produces the same message. But
    >>> Mozilla is NOT running. It shows up in neither the window list, nor when
    >>> I run TOP. And it's not even running on the Mac, so there shouldn't be
    >>> any interference from the network.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas how to get past this obstacle? Thanks.
    >>>
    >>> - Dushan Mitrovich

    >> I occasionally get the same message with Firefox v2.0.0.4 under Linux.
    >> Apparently it isn't peculiar to the OS/2 port.
    >>

    > There is something call fast load that is a feature of Mozilla. Do you
    > remember back a while ago when we OS/2 users had the option to load the
    > dlls at boot time. It seems that this ideal has become a part of
    > Mozilla. I saw this a couple days ago when I updated SeaMonkey on XP as
    > an install option. Since Windows loads SeaMonkey much slower than OS/2,
    > I could understand someone needing it. Bet that is what going on your
    > machines. And no, I don't know the setting or procedure that disables
    > it, unless it is a item in the startup folder that you can delete.

    Now there's an interesting thought! Will have to ask about this on the
    Mozilla forum. Thanks, Bill.

    Some Googling showed there is a 'preloader' that can be downloaded and
    installed separately, but is intended for Windows. That dates from 2-3
    years ago, so maybe now it's all incorporated into the code. Still, it's
    not clear to me what config.sys entry would cause that part of the code
    to be loaded. There's nothing related to Mozilla in either the Startup
    folder nor startup.cmd. I'm going to try uninstalling Mozilla (removing
    the whole subdirectory) and see if that helps.

    - Dushan

  6. Re: Firefox running but not responding?

    Steve Wendt wrote:
    > Dushan Mitrovich wrote:
    >
    >> 'Firefox is already running, but is not responding. To open a new
    >> window, you must first close the existing Firefox process, or restart
    >> your system.'

    > If I remember correctly, this happens when the profiles aren't quite set
    > up right. If you don't have anything important in your profile yet, try
    > removing the whole profiles directory, so a new one gets created.

    I've done more than that: removed the whole Mozilla directory in
    E:\Programs, and also all the Mozilla stuff in E:\HOME\Default (E: is
    the boot drive). In my config.sys, MOZILLA_HOME=H:\mozilla anyway, so
    I shouldn't have needed the other at all. Sure enough, with that done,
    Firefox runs just fine. Thanks for all your comments, fellows.

    - Dushan

  7. Re: Firefox running but not responding?

    Dushan Mitrovich wrote:
    > But I really want Firefox 2.0.0.4 instead of Mozilla. When I invoke Fire-
    > fox I get the message:
    >
    > 'Firefox is already running, but is not responding. To open a new
    > window, you must first close the existing Firefox process, or restart
    > your system.'

    This says that firefox was unable to open parent.lock in the root of
    your profile folder. Usually the reason is because it is locked by
    another instance. But any other error will result in the same message.
    Including errors like the directory or the entire drive letter does not
    exist.

    Look at firefox\Mozilla\Firefox\profiles.ini to find out where the
    profiles are stored. You should be able to open the parent.lock file
    with an editor. If you get access denied, check whether an instance of
    firefox or another application locks this file.

    Marcel

  8. Re: Firefox running but not responding?

    Marcel Müller wrote:

    > Dushan Mitrovich wrote:
    > > But I really want Firefox 2.0.0.4 instead of Mozilla. When I invoke Fire-
    > > fox I get the message:
    > >
    > > 'Firefox is already running, but is not responding. To open a new
    > > window, you must first close the existing Firefox process, or restart
    > > your system.'

    > This says that firefox was unable to open parent.lock in the root of
    > your profile folder. Usually the reason is because it is locked by
    > another instance. But any other error will result in the same message.
    > Including errors like the directory or the entire drive letter does not
    > exist.
    >
    > Look at firefox\Mozilla\Firefox\profiles.ini to find out where the
    > profiles are stored. You should be able to open the parent.lock file
    > with an editor. If you get access denied, check whether an instance of
    > firefox or another application locks this file.

    Marcel, thanks for the comments, but I had solved this problem some time
    back. Please see the thread on Google groups.

    - Dushan

+ Reply to Thread