OTF Font Format - OS2

This is a discussion on OTF Font Format - OS2 ; Is anyone familiar with fonts in the OTF format -- an open font format I believe? Would love to be able to use them in eCS....

  1. OTF Font Format

    Is anyone familiar with fonts in the OTF format -- an open font format I
    believe? Would love to be able to use them in eCS.

  2. Re: OTF Font Format

    Elmer Fudd wrote:
    > Is anyone familiar with fonts in the OTF format -- an open font format I
    > believe? Would love to be able to use them in eCS.

    OTF is OpenType Font. Don't let the "open" part confuse you, it is not
    related to open source.
    OpenType is an extension of both Type1 and Truetype fonts. It has
    sufficient information to characterize both types.
    No one has had the time or wisdom, mostly time, to create a font driver
    for OpenType.

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

  3. Re: OTF Font Format

    OK, thanks. Apparently it can be used on the Mac, don't know about Windows.

    On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 23:48:09 -0700, Jim Moe wrote:

    :>Elmer Fudd wrote:
    :>> Is anyone familiar with fonts in the OTF format -- an open font format I
    :>> believe? Would love to be able to use them in eCS.
    :>>
    :> OTF is OpenType Font. Don't let the "open" part confuse you, it is not
    :>related to open source.
    :> OpenType is an extension of both Type1 and Truetype fonts. It has
    :>sufficient information to characterize both types.
    :> No one has had the time or wisdom, mostly time, to create a font driver
    :>for OpenType.
    :>
    :>--
    :>jmm (hyphen) list (at) sohnen-moe (dot) com
    :>(Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

  4. Re: OTF Font Format

    Jim Moe wrote:
    > Elmer Fudd wrote:
    >> Is anyone familiar with fonts in the OTF format -- an open font format I
    >> believe? Would love to be able to use them in eCS.
    >>

    > OTF is OpenType Font. Don't let the "open" part confuse you, it is not
    > related to open source.
    > OpenType is an extension of both Type1 and Truetype fonts. It has
    > sufficient information to characterize both types.
    > No one has had the time or wisdom, mostly time, to create a font driver
    > for OpenType.

    Wouldn't the OS/2 freetype driver support OpenType? Can't remember if it
    is based on Freetype 1 or Freetype 2. Freetype 1 supports OpenType
    (except otf) as truetype. Freetype 2 supports all opentype fonts.
    I think this support is fairly new so someone has to recompile freetype.dll.
    Dave
    ps anyone have a URL for an OpenType font, a quick hunt with Google
    shows lots of fonts but it is hard to tell what type they are.

  5. Re: OTF Font Format

    Dave Yeo wrote:

    > Wouldn't the OS/2 freetype driver support OpenType? Can't remember if it
    > is based on Freetype 1 or Freetype 2. Freetype 1 supports OpenType
    > (except otf) as truetype. Freetype 2 supports all opentype fonts.
    > I think this support is fairly new so someone has to recompile freetype.dll.

    The latest Freetype/2 I have seen is v1.2.2.

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

  6. Re: OTF Font Format

    Jim Moe wrote:
    > Dave Yeo wrote:
    >> Wouldn't the OS/2 freetype driver support OpenType? Can't remember if it
    >> is based on Freetype 1 or Freetype 2. Freetype 1 supports OpenType
    >> (except otf) as truetype. Freetype 2 supports all opentype fonts.
    >> I think this support is fairly new so someone has to recompile freetype.dll.
    >>

    > The latest Freetype/2 I have seen is v1.2.2.

    Yea, the latest I have here is v1.2.1 and looking at the freetype part
    of the source it is from 1999. I guess what I was thinking was resyncing
    freetype/2 to the freetype project.
    Dave

  7. Re: OTF Font Format

    Jim Moe wrote:

    > The latest Freetype/2 I have seen is v1.2.2.

    That's the Freetype/2 version number. It's based on Freetype library
    version 1.3.1 (and has been since at least version 1.0).

  8. Re: OTF Font Format

    On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 05:06:38 GMT, Dave Yeo wrote:
    > Jim Moe wrote:
    >> Dave Yeo wrote:
    >>> Wouldn't the OS/2 freetype driver support OpenType? Can't remember if it
    >>> is based on Freetype 1 or Freetype 2. Freetype 1 supports OpenType
    >>> (except otf) as truetype. Freetype 2 supports all opentype fonts.
    >>> I think this support is fairly new so someone has to recompile freetype.dll.
    >>>

    >> The latest Freetype/2 I have seen is v1.2.2.

    > Yea, the latest I have here is v1.2.1 and looking at the freetype part
    > of the source it is from 1999. I guess what I was thinking was resyncing
    > freetype/2 to the freetype project.

    It isn't quite that simple: FreeType/2 is written to FreeType 1.x,
    wherease the FreeType library is well past version 2.0. Unfortunately,
    FreeType 2.x has a totally different API, so 'resyncing' would pretty much
    require rewriting the driver.

    (I have been considering tackling the project, but even if I decide to
    make the leap, it's not likely to happen this year.)

    There was an extension to FreeType 1 that added OTF support, it would
    probably be much easier to incorporate that into FT/2.

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

    Remove hat to reply (reply-to address).