RAW camera image viewer - OS2

This is a discussion on RAW camera image viewer - OS2 ; Which OS/2 app will open RAW camera image files and save as TIF or other editable format?...

  1. RAW camera image viewer

    Which OS/2 app will open RAW camera image files and save as TIF or other
    editable format?

  2. Re: RAW camera image viewer

    On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 07:53:50 UTC, johnsuth@nospam.com.au wrote:
    Hi John,

    > Which OS/2 app will open RAW camera image files and save as TIF or other
    > editable format?

    When saving as TIFF, it is a RAW converter, not just a viewer :-)

    There is at least one port of the leading open-source RAW converter
    called DCRAW for OS/2, and there even is a front-end GUI program:

    http://os2.zworks.de/PMRaw/

    Not sure if the download include the DCRAW stuff too, it may be integrated ...

    Regards, JvW

    --
    Jan van Wijk; Author of DFSee: http://www.dfsee.com

  3. Re: RAW camera image viewer

    In , "Jan van Wijk" writes:
    >On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 07:53:50 UTC, johnsuth@nospam.com.au wrote:
    >Hi John,
    >
    >> Which OS/2 app will open RAW camera image files and save as TIF or other
    >> editable format?

    >When saving as TIFF, it is a RAW converter, not just a viewer :-)
    >
    >There is at least one port of the leading open-source RAW converter
    >called DCRAW for OS/2, and there even is a front-end GUI program:
    >
    > http://os2.zworks.de/PMRaw/
    >
    >Not sure if the download include the DCRAW stuff too, it may be integrated ...

    Many thanks Jan.

    Everything seems to be there. Before buying a camera I will take my CF card to
    the camera shop, put some photos on it, then bring it home and check that the
    software will do what I want.

  4. Re: RAW camera image viewer

    In , on 07/17/2007
    at 10:39 PM, johnsuth@nospam.com.au said:

    >In , "Jan van Wijk"
    > writes: >On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 07:53:50 UTC,
    >johnsuth@nospam.com.au wrote: >Hi John,
    >>
    >>> Which OS/2 app will open RAW camera image files and save as TIF or other
    >>> editable format?

    >>When saving as TIFF, it is a RAW converter, not just a viewer :-)
    >>
    >>There is at least one port of the leading open-source RAW converter
    >>called DCRAW for OS/2, and there even is a front-end GUI program:
    >>
    >> http://os2.zworks.de/PMRaw/
    >>
    >>Not sure if the download include the DCRAW stuff too, it may be integrated ...

    >Many thanks Jan.

    >Everything seems to be there. Before buying a camera I will take my CF
    >card to the camera shop, put some photos on it, then bring it home and
    >check that the software will do what I want.

    Someone else might know morem but I don't think that answers your
    question. You download files through the camera interface. The software
    has to interface with it, not a card.

  5. Re: RAW camera image viewer

    Exactly, I have dcraw, but it isn't that effective
    as the software that will come with the camera, and
    other Windows/Apple programs, for editing and
    converting images.

    With Dani's drivers, you can read from CF cards, and
    you could test out dcraw by downloading any RAW image,
    especially one that comes from a similar camera to the
    one you wish to get.

    Pretty good info:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAW_image_format

    Baden

    In , letdoure@nospam.net writes:
    >In , on 07/17/2007
    > at 10:39 PM, johnsuth@nospam.com.au said:
    >

    >>In , "Jan van Wijk"
    >> writes: >On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 07:53:50 UTC,
    >>johnsuth@nospam.com.au wrote: >Hi John,

    >>>When saving as TIFF, it is a RAW converter, not just a viewer :-)
    >>>
    >>>There is at least one port of the leading open-source RAW converter
    >>>called DCRAW for OS/2, and there even is a front-end GUI program:
    >>>
    >>> http://os2.zworks.de/PMRaw/
    >>>
    >>>Not sure if the download include the DCRAW stuff too, it may be integrated ...

    >>Many thanks Jan.

    >>Everything seems to be there. Before buying a camera I will take my CF
    >>card to the camera shop, put some photos on it, then bring it home and
    >>check that the software will do what I want.

    >Someone else might know morem but I don't think that answers your
    >question. You download files through the camera interface. The software
    >has to interface with it, not a card.

  6. Re: RAW camera image viewer

    On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 00:18:26 UTC, letdoure@nospam.net wrote:
    > >Everything seems to be there. Before buying a camera I will take my CF
    > >card to the camera shop, put some photos on it, then bring it home and
    > >check that the software will do what I want.

    > Someone else might know morem but I don't think that answers your
    > question. You download files through the camera interface.

    Allthough most cameras can be attached to a computer, usually
    with USB, sometimes firewire, that is NOT the smartest way to do it.

    First of all, I often fill more than one card on a days shoot,
    would be awkward to have to put each card back into the
    camera just to get to the images.

    Some cameras even require special software to interface,
    which is often available for Windows only (and perhaps MAC)

    So a MUCH better way is to get a Card-reader (USB when using OS/2)
    and get that recognized properly. Then images are simply downloaded
    from the card using that, and the card shows up as just another
    removable disk in OS/2 ...

    >The software has to interface with it, not a card.

    No, the software deals with RAW imagefiles, like *.NEF
    for Nikon, *.PEF for Pentax and so on.

    How you get these onto your computer is a different matter.

    Regards, JvW

    --
    Jan van Wijk; Author of DFSee: http://www.dfsee.com

+ Reply to Thread