Memorex DVD Writer - OS2

This is a discussion on Memorex DVD Writer - OS2 ; I'm having trouble with my shiny new Memorex MRX-525G CD/DVD Recorder. I can't get dvddao to write a DVD+RW disc successfully. When I specify "-verify " Info : Verifying time : 2 min 36 sec Info : Verified 637002 sectors, ...

  1. Memorex DVD Writer

    I'm having trouble with my shiny new Memorex MRX-525G CD/DVD Recorder.
    I can't get dvddao to write a DVD+RW disc successfully. When I specify
    "-verify "

    Info : Verifying time : 2 min 36 sec
    Info : Verified 637002 sectors, 1244 MB
    Info : Read data MD5: 8a3e66c73cff1c9e1d65d14c5127c24f
    Error : !!!VERIFICATION FAILED!!!

    The write doesn't seem to have any failures, buffer under runs or
    anything. But when I try to read the disc without -verify it is
    unreadable, so the write must be failing. I've been playing with
    "--noopc" and other kinds of options but I have not gotten a readable
    disk.

    DaniS506 1.7.5
    DaniATPI 0.3.18
    OS2ASPI 10.57
    OS2CDROM 10.117
    Aspirout 1.10.9
    DVDDAO 1.3.3

    Any ideas what's not working properly?

    Thanks in advance,

    --
    Ken Blackburn
    Ken Blackburn at nc dot rr dot com

    -- So many stupid people, so few comets.

  2. Re: Memorex DVD Writer

    Ken Blackburn wrote:

    > I'm having trouble with my shiny new Memorex MRX-525G CD/DVD Recorder.
    > I can't get dvddao to write a DVD+RW disc successfully. When I specify
    > "-verify "
    >
    > Info : Verifying time : 2 min 36 sec
    > Info : Verified 637002 sectors, 1244 MB
    > Info : Read data MD5: 8a3e66c73cff1c9e1d65d14c5127c24f
    > Error : !!!VERIFICATION FAILED!!!
    >
    > The write doesn't seem to have any failures, buffer under runs or
    > anything. But when I try to read the disc without -verify it is
    > unreadable, so the write must be failing. I've been playing with
    > "--noopc" and other kinds of options but I have not gotten a readable
    > disk.
    >
    > DaniS506 1.7.5
    > DaniATPI 0.3.18
    > OS2ASPI 10.57
    > OS2CDROM 10.117
    > Aspirout 1.10.9
    > DVDDAO 1.3.3
    >
    > Any ideas what's not working properly?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,

    That same CD-DVD works like a champ here. I haven't specifically tried it
    under OS/2 on a DVD, but at least 2 versions of Linux using the KDE front
    end would invariably report burn errors on the verify pass. Doing a manual
    md5sum gave the correct checksum every time. They finally got this fixed a
    month or so back, so I would try a standalone md5 check jsut to be sure.
    The device has been solid for me.

    --
    Will Honea

  3. Re: Memorex DVD Writer

    Hi Ken

    Ken Blackburn wrote:
    > I'm having trouble with my shiny new Memorex MRX-525G CD/DVD Recorder.
    > I can't get dvddao to write a DVD+RW disc successfully. When I specify
    > "-verify "
    >
    > Info : Verifying time : 2 min 36 sec
    > Info : Verified 637002 sectors, 1244 MB
    > Info : Read data MD5: 8a3e66c73cff1c9e1d65d14c5127c24f
    > Error : !!!VERIFICATION FAILED!!!
    >
    > The write doesn't seem to have any failures, buffer under runs or
    > anything. But when I try to read the disc without -verify it is
    > unreadable, so the write must be failing. I've been playing with
    > "--noopc" and other kinds of options but I have not gotten a readable disk.
    >
    > DaniS506 1.7.5
    > DaniATPI 0.3.18

    There is a later danis506 and daniatapi on hobbes
    http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/syste...is506r1710.zip
    http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/syste...iatapi0319.zip

    > OS2ASPI 10.57

    Current build is 10.70

    > OS2CDROM 10.117

    Current build is 10.163

    > Aspirout 1.10.9

    Current build is 1.10.10

    dvddao includes an alternative, aspinkk.sys, which is the default and if
    you want to use aspirout I believe you need to specify that in your burn
    command - check dvddao readme for details.

    > DVDDAO 1.3.3

    There is a later version on hobbes
    http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/apps/...ddao-1.3.7.zip

    > Any ideas what's not working properly?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,

    I suggest the os2cdrom.dmd is probably the main culprit and definitely
    needs updating - that version was a total failure when burning here.

    It would not hurt to update everything else as well - also update
    os2dasd.dmd to 14.104; I think the os2dasd.dmd and os2cdrom.dmd are in
    an ide update package - 10.163 probably.

    Regards

    Pete

  4. Re: Memorex DVD Writer

    On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 14:57:31 UTC, Peter Brown
    wrote:

    --snip--

    > > DaniS506 1.7.5
    > > DaniATPI 0.3.18

    > There is a later danis506 and daniatapi on hobbes
    > http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/syste...is506r1710.zip
    > http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/syste...iatapi0319.zip
    >

    > > OS2ASPI 10.57

    > Current build is 10.70
    >

    > > OS2CDROM 10.117

    > Current build is 10.163
    >

    > > Aspirout 1.10.9

    > Current build is 1.10.10

    --snip--

    Hmmmm. I have the latest Dani drivers and aspirout.sys but not the ide
    1.63 package. I thought I had downloaded everything before IBM removed
    it all. Where could one obtain this at this late date? I don't find
    anything on the eCs site (perhaps I didn't look in the right place).

    --snip--

    Thanks,
    Pete

    --

  5. Re: Memorex DVD Writer

    Hi Pete

    Pete wrote:
    > On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 14:57:31 UTC, Peter Brown
    > wrote:
    >
    > --snip--
    >
    >>> DaniS506 1.7.5
    >>> DaniATPI 0.3.18

    >> There is a later danis506 and daniatapi on hobbes
    >> http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/syste...is506r1710.zip
    >> http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/syste...iatapi0319.zip
    >>

    >>> OS2ASPI 10.57

    >> Current build is 10.70
    >>

    >>> OS2CDROM 10.117

    >> Current build is 10.163
    >>

    >>> Aspirout 1.10.9

    >> Current build is 1.10.10

    > --snip--
    >
    > Hmmmm. I have the latest Dani drivers and aspirout.sys but not the ide
    > 1.63 package. I thought I had downloaded everything before IBM removed
    > it all. Where could one obtain this at this late date? I don't find
    > anything on the eCs site (perhaps I didn't look in the right place).
    >
    > --snip--
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Pete

    Login at ecomstation and click the "Download the latest software and
    updates" link towards bottom of page then Search for IDE.

    The alternative is to use the eCSMT tool to update the system.

    Regards

    Pete

  6. Re: Memorex DVD Writer

    Ken Blackburn wrote:
    > I'm having trouble with my shiny new Memorex MRX-525G CD/DVD Recorder.
    > I can't get dvddao to write a DVD+RW disc successfully. When I specify
    > "-verify "
    >
    > Info : Verifying time : 2 min 36 sec
    > Info : Verified 637002 sectors, 1244 MB
    > Info : Read data MD5: 8a3e66c73cff1c9e1d65d14c5127c24f
    > Error : !!!VERIFICATION FAILED!!!
    >
    > The write doesn't seem to have any failures, buffer under runs or
    > anything. But when I try to read the disc without -verify it is
    > unreadable, so the write must be failing. I've been playing with
    > "--noopc" and other kinds of options but I have not gotten a readable disk.
    >
    > DaniS506 1.7.5
    > DaniATPI 0.3.18
    > OS2ASPI 10.57
    > OS2CDROM 10.117
    > Aspirout 1.10.9
    > DVDDAO 1.3.3
    >
    > Any ideas what's not working properly?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,

    Have you tried a few different brands of disks? Here (with a different
    brand of DVD writer) I have problems with fujifilm DVD-RWs. Strangely if
    I blank them under win2k they work fine otherwise get a similar
    problem to you. Other brands that I have tried are fine.
    Dave

  7. Re: Memorex DVD Writer

    On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 18:37:16 UTC, Peter Brown
    wrote:

    > Hi Pete
    >
    > Pete wrote:
    > > On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 14:57:31 UTC, Peter Brown
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > --snip--

    > >> There is a later danis506 and daniatapi on hobbes
    > >> http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/syste...is506r1710.zip
    > >> http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/syste...iatapi0319.zip

    > >> Current build is 10.70

    > >> Current build is 10.163

    > >> Current build is 1.10.10

    > > --snip--
    > >
    > > Hmmmm. I have the latest Dani drivers and aspirout.sys but not the ide
    > > 1.63 package. I thought I had downloaded everything before IBM removed
    > > it all. Where could one obtain this at this late date? I don't find
    > > anything on the eCs site (perhaps I didn't look in the right place).
    > >
    > > --snip--
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Pete
    > >

    > Login at ecomstation and click the "Download the latest software and
    > updates" link towards bottom of page then Search for IDE.
    >
    > The alternative is to use the eCSMT tool to update the system.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Pete

    Finally found the package, but it's 10.61.

    Pete

    --

  8. Re: Memorex DVD Writer

    Thanks for all the excellent advice.

    I have been trying with Memorex DVD+RW disks. Should work okay in a
    Memorex drive. :-)

    The purchase offer included some Memorex DVD+R disks. I haven't tried
    them because I really wanted the RW's to work. I don't want to create
    coasters while trying to figure this out.

    This is an exercise to get a backup scheme for 2 computers working.

    I confess, I had CDRecord working with CD+RW working on an older _CD_
    writer with all the same software, er.. CD software. I found the dvddao
    package and started reading the usage notes and I got it to write to
    the +RW discs but none of the disks are readable afterwards. With
    '-verify' the error is apparent but without I still get:

    dir u:

    Volume in drive U has no label.
    The Volume Serial Number is 534E:4A52.
    Directory of U:\

    SYS0026: The specified disk or diskette cannot be accessed.

    I don't have a version of ecomstation, I have one of the last IBM Warp
    Convenience Package 2 that I installed long ago. So, I don't have
    access to the "latest" upgrades. That's why my OS2CDROM is so old. :-)

    My system has been stable enough for a while so, I haven't looked around
    for the latest drivers from Daniela and Paul's aspirout package. I
    suspect that upgrading both of these "could" reduce the margin of error.
    That's the first order of business, I guess. I don't expect to be able
    to find the upgrade for OS2CDROM or OS2ASPI. Upgrading to the latest
    dvddao will ensure that I can expect that the author, nickk, might
    consider any further problem reports.

    Again, thanks all for the support and good advice.

    --
    Ken Blackburn
    Ken Blackburn at nc dot rr dot com

    -- So many stupid people, so few comets.

  9. Re: Memorex DVD Writer

    Thanks for all the excellent advice.

    I have been trying with Memorex DVD+RW disks. Should work okay in a
    Memorex drive. :-)

    The purchase offer included some Memorex DVD+R disks. I haven't tried
    them because I really wanted the RW's to work. I don't want to create
    coasters while trying to figure this out.

    This is an exercise to get a backup scheme for 2 computers working.

    I confess, I had AudioCDCreator working with CD+RW working on an older
[...]

  10. Re: Memorex DVD Writer

    Hi Ken

    Ken Blackburn wrote:
    > Thanks for all the excellent advice.
    >
    > I have been trying with Memorex DVD+RW disks. Should work okay in a
    > Memorex drive. :-)
    >
    > The purchase offer included some Memorex DVD+R disks. I haven't tried
    > them because I really wanted the RW's to work. I don't want to create
    > coasters while trying to figure this out.
    >
    > This is an exercise to get a backup scheme for 2 computers working.
    >
    > I confess, I had AudioCDCreator working with CD+RW working on an older
    > _CD_ writer with all the same software, er.. CD software. I found the
    > dvddao package and started reading the usage notes and I got it to
    > write to the +RW discs but none of the disks are readable afterwards.
    > With '-verify' the error is apparent but without I still get:
    >
    > dir u:
    >
    > Volume in drive U has no label.
    > The Volume Serial Number is 534E:4A52.
    > Directory of U:\
    >
    > SYS0026: The specified disk or diskette cannot be accessed.
    >
    > I don't have a version of ecomstation, I have one of the last IBM Warp
    > Convenience Package 2 that I installed long ago. So, I don't have
    > access to the "latest" upgrades. That's why my OS2CDROM is so old. :-)

    And therein lies the problem. There were several builds between 10.070
    and 10.123(? or maybe the next build) that were absolutely useless
    except for reading pre-burnt CDs.

    You really need the last IBM IDE update package to get this working -
    plus the last UDF package would be useful.

    With UDF you can format CD/DVD RW discs and use them as very large
    floppies - at about the same speed as floppy disk access; well, maybe a
    touch faster :-)

    > My system has been stable enough for a while so, I haven't looked around
    > for the latest drivers from Daniela and Paul's aspirout package. I
    > suspect that upgrading both of these "could" reduce the margin of error.
    > That's the first order of business, I guess. I don't expect to be able
    > to find the upgrade for OS2CDROM or OS2ASPI. Upgrading to the latest
    > dvddao will ensure that I can expect that the author, nickk, might
    > consider any further problem reports.
    >
    > Again, thanks all for the support and good advice.

    If you do not have any luck trying to track down the above updates
    contact me off list.

    Pete

  11. Re: Memorex DVD Writer

    Will Honea wrote:

    > at least 2 versions of Linux using the KDE front
    > end would invariably report burn errors on the verify pass.

    I get similar erroneous errors with a Plextor SATA drive, although using
    the Nautilus interface rather than "the KDE front end."

  12. Re: Memorex DVD Writer

    I've managed to upgrade a bunch-o-stuff. But I have the exact same
    symptoms. Unreadable disk with no --verify, and
    !!!VERIFICATION FAILED!!! with --verify.

    DaniS506 1.7.10 from 1.7.5
    DaniATAPI 0.3.19 from 0.3.18
    OS2ASPI 10.70 from 10.57
    OS2CDROM 10.157 from 10.117
    Aspirout 1.10.10 from 1.10.9
    DVDDAO 1.3.7 from 1.3.3
    OS2DASD 14.104 from 14.96
    UDF 2.1.15 from 2.1.12
    IBMIDECD.FLT 10.134 from 10.95
    CDFS 14.100 from 14.93

    And I verified the hardware. I restarted into the XP partition and
    installed the included CD/DVD writer software and it was able to burn
    the Fedora 7 DVD onto the same DVD RW, which I used to upgrade another
    machine, so I know it burned properly. Hardware works fine, in XP.

    I just don't have the right mix of drivers and software to get it to
    work in OS/2. Sigh.
    --
    Ken Blackburn
    Ken Blackburn at nc dot rr dot com

    -- So many stupid people, so few comets.

  13. Re: Memorex DVD Writer

    Ken Blackburn wrote:

    No idea if it makes a difference, but I have some newer ones:

    > OS2CDROM 10.157 from 10.117

    10.163 here

    > UDF 2.1.15 from 2.1.12

    My udf.ifs doesn't have bldlevel info; internally it says Version 2.1.6
    4-21-06 3:21a 132573 0 udf.ifs

    > IBMIDECD.FLT 10.134 from 10.95

    You shouldn't be loading this if you are using DaniATAPI.

    > CDFS 14.100 from 14.93

    14.103 here

  14. Re: Memorex DVD Writer

    Another pointed out that you have a driver conflict, but beyond that, I
    had a similar problem once time with commercial DVD writer program and a
    cheaper DVD drive. After awhile I got smart, and bought a decent DVD
    drive. Problems solved.

    In <46930972$0$12178$4c368faf@roadrunner.com>, on 07/10/2007
    at 12:22 AM, Ken Blackburn said:

    >I've managed to upgrade a bunch-o-stuff. But I have the exact same
    >symptoms. Unreadable disk with no --verify, and
    >!!!VERIFICATION FAILED!!! with --verify.

    >DaniS506 1.7.10 from 1.7.5
    >DaniATAPI 0.3.19 from 0.3.18
    >OS2ASPI 10.70 from 10.57
    >OS2CDROM 10.157 from 10.117
    >Aspirout 1.10.10 from 1.10.9
    >DVDDAO 1.3.7 from 1.3.3
    >OS2DASD 14.104 from 14.96
    >UDF 2.1.15 from 2.1.12
    >IBMIDECD.FLT 10.134 from 10.95
    >CDFS 14.100 from 14.93

    >And I verified the hardware. I restarted into the XP partition and
    >installed the included CD/DVD writer software and it was able to burn the
    >Fedora 7 DVD onto the same DVD RW, which I used to upgrade another
    >machine, so I know it burned properly. Hardware works fine, in XP.

    >I just don't have the right mix of drivers and software to get it to work
    >in OS/2. Sigh.

  15. Re: Memorex DVD Writer

    Steve Wendt wrote:
    > Ken Blackburn wrote:
    >
    > No idea if it makes a difference, but I have some newer ones:
    >
    >> OS2CDROM 10.157 from 10.117

    > 10.163 here
    >
    >> UDF 2.1.15 from 2.1.12

    > My udf.ifs doesn't have bldlevel info; internally it says Version 2.1.6
    > 4-21-06 3:21a 132573 0 udf.ifs
    >
    >> IBMIDECD.FLT 10.134 from 10.95

    > You shouldn't be loading this if you are using DaniATAPI.

    You're right. It is not loading since I have DaniATAPI loading and
    working. It was available so I copied into place, but it is not
    referenced in my CONFIG.SYS.

    >> CDFS 14.100 from 14.93

    > 14.103 here

    I don't have access to any of the newer versions of the drivers.
    Although, I haven't spent a lot of time searching the 'net for them.
    --
    Ken Blackburn
    Ken Blackburn at nc dot rr dot com

    -- So many stupid people, so few comets.

  16. Re: Memorex DVD Writer

    Hi Ken

    Ken Blackburn wrote:
    > Steve Wendt wrote:
    >> Ken Blackburn wrote:
    >>
    >> No idea if it makes a difference, but I have some newer ones:
    >>
    >>> OS2CDROM 10.157 from 10.117

    >> 10.163 here
    >>
    >>> UDF 2.1.15 from 2.1.12

    >> My udf.ifs doesn't have bldlevel info; internally it says Version 2.1.6
    >> 4-21-06 3:21a 132573 0 udf.ifs
    >>
    >>> IBMIDECD.FLT 10.134 from 10.95

    >> You shouldn't be loading this if you are using DaniATAPI.

    > You're right. It is not loading since I have DaniATAPI loading and
    > working. It was available so I copied into place, but it is not
    > referenced in my CONFIG.SYS.
    >>
    >>> CDFS 14.100 from 14.93

    >> 14.103 here

    > I don't have access to any of the newer versions of the drivers.
    > Although, I haven't spent a lot of time searching the 'net for them.

    os2cdrom.dmd 10.163, cdfs.ifs 14.103 and, of course, udf216 related
    files are in the udf216 package; apply files from that package carefully
    (manually) to avoid backlevelling some later files supplied in the
    ide10161 package.

    Regards

    Pete

  17. Re: Memorex DVD Writer

    Peter Brown wrote:
    > Hi Ken
    >

    > os2cdrom.dmd 10.163, cdfs.ifs 14.103 and, of course, udf216 related
    > files are in the udf216 package; apply files from that package carefully
    > (manually) to avoid backlevelling some later files supplied in the
    > ide10161 package.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Pete

    Thanks for giving me a name to reference. I found the packages but since
    I don't have eCs nor an active support contract, I have no way to
    acquire them.

    --
    Ken Blackburn
    Ken Blackburn at nc dot rr dot com

    -- So many stupid people, so few comets.

+ Reply to Thread