SeaMonkey questions - OS2

This is a discussion on SeaMonkey questions - OS2 ; There was a time when Mozilla used to keep partial images if something timed out during transfer, and reloading the page would (seem to?) restart where it left off. Now SeaMonkey (the last few releases) instead erases the partial image ...

  1. SeaMonkey questions

    There was a time when Mozilla used to keep partial images if something
    timed out during transfer, and reloading the page would (seem to?) restart
    where it left off. Now SeaMonkey (the last few releases) instead erases
    the partial image completely, even if it's 99% complete. Is there a way to

    Is there a way to block images requested by a specific site, even if they
    come from another site? I.e., load any MySpace page without *any* images?

    Thanks,

    Pierre

    --
    Pierre Jelenc
    The Gigometer www.gigometer.com

  2. Re: SeaMonkey questions

    On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 19:34:13 UTC, rcpj@panix.com (Pierre Jelenc)
    wrote:

    > There was a time when Mozilla used to keep partial images if something
    > timed out during transfer, and reloading the page would (seem to?) restart
    > where it left off. Now SeaMonkey (the last few releases) instead erases
    > the partial image completely, even if it's 99% complete. Is there a way to
    >
    > Is there a way to block images requested by a specific site, even if they
    > come from another site? I.e., load any MySpace page without *any* images?

    Go to and _install_ that extension. It
    extends the settings dialog to give you more influence about the
    behavior of SM, gives you a new toolbar to change the behavior
    dynamically, icreases the functionality of the tab bar, .....
    Optionally you can extend this extension with the google bar (on the
    same page). When you have used it you'll never miss it.

    You're a WEB developer? Beside multizilla you should install
    and seamonkey and firefox will help
    you in testing your developement. Something on the new toolbar is of
    interest for users too even as most of it is indispensible for
    developers.

    When you uses seamonkey to read/write mail you will love
    .

    You has nothing to do than to install these extensions. That is click
    on the install button/text. As each of this extensions requires a
    restart of seamonkey to complete the installation you find lots of new
    and extended settings in the settings dialog thereafter.

    --
    Tschau/Bye
    Herbert

    eComStation 1.2R Deutsch ist da!

  3. Re: SeaMonkey questions

    Herbert Rosenau writes:

    > Go to and _install_ that extension. It
    > extends the settings dialog to give you more influence about the
    > behavior of SM, gives you a new toolbar to change the behavior
    > dynamically, icreases the functionality of the tab bar, .....
    > Optionally you can extend this extension with the google bar (on the
    > same page). When you have used it you'll never miss it.

    I tried Multizilla several times in the past, and it always screwed up my
    system so bad I had to delete everything and start over. Preference
    Toolbar on the other hand has worked without a hitch and I don't want to
    lose its functionality. Does Multizilla allow re-ordering tabs now?

    > You're a WEB developer? Beside multizilla you should install
    > and seamonkey and firefox will help
    > you in testing your developement. Something on the new toolbar is of
    > interest for users too even as most of it is indispensible for
    > developers.

    Like what? I write code by hand and validate it at W3C. What else do I
    need?

    > When you uses seamonkey to read/write mail you will love
    > .

    Tried that a year or so ago. I don't remember what the problem was, but it
    screwed up something else and I had to create a new profile without it to
    fix things.

    Pierre
    --
    Pierre Jelenc
    The Gigometer www.gigometer.com
    Home Office Records www.homeofficerecords.com

  4. Re: SeaMonkey questions

    Herbert Rosenau writes:

    > Go to and _install_ that extension.

    OK, I did that in a new profile. But I don't see anything about blocking
    images based on the displayed pages' server name.

    Before I do anything further, how can I save my old profile minus all
    extensions, and re-use it as the basis of a new installation? In the fresh
    profile I created, I can't get my old personal toolbar; everything I
    imported from my old bookmarks.html is in the bookmarks menu, not in the
    toolbar.

    Pierre
    --
    Pierre Jelenc
    The Gigometer www.gigometer.com
    Home Office Records www.homeofficerecords.com

  5. Re: SeaMonkey questions

    Pierre Jelenc wrote:

    > OK, I did that in a new profile. But I don't see anything about blocking
    > images based on the displayed pages' server name.

    From what you said before, I think what you want is:
    Edit -> Preferences -> Privacy & Security -> Images -> Image Acceptance
    Policy -> Accept images that come from the originating server only

    Unfortunately, you can't specify that for just one specific site.

    On the other hand, going by what you state in this post, what you want
    can be achieved by right-clicking on an image, and selecting "Block
    images from this server"

    > I can't get my old personal toolbar; everything I imported from
    > my old bookmarks.html is in the bookmarks menu, not in the toolbar.

    The bookmarks editor allows you to specify any bookmarks folder to be
    used as the personal toolbar (View -> Set as Personal Toolbar Folder).
    You probably have the wrong folder set to be the toolbar right now.

  6. Re: SeaMonkey questions

    On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 18:39:48 UTC, rcpj@panix.com (Pierre Jelenc)
    wrote:

    > Herbert Rosenau writes:
    > >
    > > Go to and _install_ that extension. It
    > > extends the settings dialog to give you more influence about the
    > > behavior of SM, gives you a new toolbar to change the behavior
    > > dynamically, icreases the functionality of the tab bar, .....
    > > Optionally you can extend this extension with the google bar (on the
    > > same page). When you have used it you'll never miss it.

    > I tried Multizilla several times in the past, and it always screwed up my
    > system so bad I had to delete everything and start over.

    I've never seen that since years.

    Preference
    > Toolbar on the other hand has worked without a hitch and I don't want to
    > lose its functionality. Does Multizilla allow re-ordering tabs now?

    Drag&drop the tabs to reorder them.

    Current versions: MultiZilla 1.8.3.2f/ GoogleBox 1.7e

    > > You're a WEB developer? Beside multizilla you should install
    > > and seamonkey and firefox will help
    > > you in testing your developement. Something on the new toolbar is of
    > > interest for users too even as most of it is indispensible for
    > > developers.

    > Like what? I write code by hand and validate it at W3C. What else do I
    > need?

    Let W3C check your local CSS instead put it up to yor WEWB page only
    for that
    " HTML "
    W3CS-Check with simple mouse click while viewing the page
    Clear session cookies, delete domain/path cookies
    view cookie information
    Dis/Enable/Edit styles (different types)
    handle Forms in some ways
    Dis/Enable (external) images, get image properties
    replace images with ALT information
    Display some data you're interested in while debugging your CSS/HTML
    - class data, block size, element information, ......
    resize the browser window to emualte lower resolutions than my current
    display settings is set
    and more....

    WEB developer is NOT an editing tool but a valueable debugging tool
    that helps you to see and understund hwo seamonky sees your sour
    source and how it iterprets it. To edit my HTML and CSS I use NEPMD
    from current version download
    from the developers homepage as
    netlabs.org holds only the outdated V1.0 and docuentation. For test I
    use my local Apache (and over it WEB developer to call W3C HTML and
    CSS verifier).

    > > When you uses seamonkey to read/write mail you will love
    > > .

    > Tried that a year or so ago. I don't remember what the problem was, but it
    > screwed up something else and I had to create a new profile without it to
    > fix things.

    Hu? I use my profile since years using the profile I ported from the
    WEB brower to mozilla using mozilla to get it ported.

    --
    Tschau/Bye
    Herbert

    eComStation 1.2R Deutsch ist da!

  7. Re: SeaMonkey questions

    Steve Wendt writes:

    > From what you said before, I think what you want is:
    > Edit -> Preferences -> Privacy & Security -> Images -> Image Acceptance
    > Policy -> Accept images that come from the originating server only
    >
    > Unfortunately, you can't specify that for just one specific site.

    Right; which makes it pretty useless.

    > On the other hand, going by what you state in this post, what you want
    > can be achieved by right-clicking on an image, and selecting "Block
    > images from this server"

    This only blocks images hosted by the same host. The vast majority of the
    images on a Myspace page come from somewhere else (Flickr, etc)

    I need a combination of the two: When the page I'm loading is on
    myspace.com, I don't want *any* image. On the other hand, I may want those
    images if used on a page not hosted by myspace.com.

    > The bookmarks editor allows you to specify any bookmarks folder to be
    > used as the personal toolbar (View -> Set as Personal Toolbar Folder).
    > You probably have the wrong folder set to be the toolbar right now.

    But that does not create a new copy, does it? I suppose it could be a good
    thing sometimes, but it also leaves it at the mercy of one profile
    screwing it up for all the others.

    Pierre
    --
    Pierre Jelenc
    The Gigometer www.gigometer.com
    Home Office Records www.homeofficerecords.com

  8. Re: SeaMonkey questions

    Pierre Jelenc wrote:
    > Steve Wendt writes:
    >> From what you said before, I think what you want is:
    >> Edit -> Preferences -> Privacy & Security -> Images -> Image Acceptance
    >> Policy -> Accept images that come from the originating server only
    >>
    >> Unfortunately, you can't specify that for just one specific site.

    > Right; which makes it pretty useless.
    >
    >> On the other hand, going by what you state in this post, what you want
    >> can be achieved by right-clicking on an image, and selecting "Block
    >> images from this server"

    > This only blocks images hosted by the same host. The vast majority of the
    > images on a Myspace page come from somewhere else (Flickr, etc)
    >
    > I need a combination of the two: When the page I'm loading is on
    > myspace.com, I don't want *any* image. On the other hand, I may want those
    > images if used on a page not hosted by myspace.com.
    >
    >> The bookmarks editor allows you to specify any bookmarks folder to be
    >> used as the personal toolbar (View -> Set as Personal Toolbar Folder).
    >> You probably have the wrong folder set to be the toolbar right now.

    > But that does not create a new copy, does it? I suppose it could be a good
    > thing sometimes, but it also leaves it at the mercy of one profile
    > screwing it up for all the others.
    >
    > Pierre

    You could always try to set up privoxy (privoxy.org) to block the images
    for you.
    Dave

  9. Re: SeaMonkey questions

    Dave Yeo writes:

    > You could always try to set up privoxy (privoxy.org) to block the images
    > for you.

    But I don't think it can do that. All I see is actions based on a given
    path, not actions based on the referring URL.

    Pierre

    --
    Pierre Jelenc
    The Gigometer www.gigometer.com
    Home Office Records www.homeofficerecords.com

  10. Re: SeaMonkey questions

    On Sun, 1 Jul 2007 18:30:53 UTC, rcpj@panix.com (Pierre Jelenc) wrote:

    > Steve Wendt writes:
    > >
    > > From what you said before, I think what you want is:
    > > Edit -> Preferences -> Privacy & Security -> Images -> Image Acceptance
    > > Policy -> Accept images that come from the originating server only
    > >
    > > Unfortunately, you can't specify that for just one specific site.

    > Right; which makes it pretty useless.

    Simple install and use its extended
    setting to get what you want, a maintable list of URS to (dis)allow

    Tschau/Bye
    Herbert

    eComStation 1.2R Deutsch ist da!

  11. Re: SeaMonkey questions

    Herbert Rosenau writes:

    > Simple install and use its extended
    > setting to get what you want, a maintable list of URS to (dis)allow

    Where is that extended setting? In Preferences I see a Multizilla
    Preference Manager that has settings for tabs, popups, etc, but I don't
    see anything about images.

    Pierre
    --
    Pierre Jelenc
    The Gigometer www.gigometer.com
    Home Office Records www.homeofficerecords.com

  12. Re: SeaMonkey questions

    On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 21:18:07 UTC, rcpj@panix.com (Pierre Jelenc) wrote:

    > Herbert Rosenau writes:
    > >
    > > Simple install and use its extended
    > > setting to get what you want, a maintable list of URS to (dis)allow

    > Where is that extended setting? In Preferences I see a Multizilla
    > Preference Manager that has settings for tabs, popups, etc, but I don't
    > see anything about images.

    Sorry, but I can't remember the english names as my SM is st to speak
    german:

    Use the menue entry immediately right hand of "file" and open it. The
    lowest entry (german: Einstellungen") ("settings"?) pops up an own
    dialog. There is an entry named "Multizilla". When you have installed
    the most current verion then press it. It changes its right hand
    window and shows the button "Open preference manager". Press it. A new
    window pops up. On its menue press "Popus". The newly opened dialog
    gives you from top to bottom "Cookies", "Images", "Popups", "Plugins",
    "Scripts" and so on. Each of them gives you on right hand its own
    window with a number of different settings for that theme.

    Remember that a mouse has not only one button.

    --
    Tschau/Bye
    Herbert

    eComStation 1.2R Deutsch ist da!

  13. Re: SeaMonkey questions

    Herbert Rosenau writes:

    > Use the menue entry immediately right hand of "file" and open it. The
    > lowest entry (german: Einstellungen") ("settings"?) pops up an own
    > dialog. There is an entry named "Multizilla". When you have installed
    > the most current verion then press it. It changes its right hand
    > window and shows the button "Open preference manager". Press it. A new
    > window pops up. On its menue press "Popus". The newly opened dialog
    > gives you from top to bottom "Cookies", "Images", "Popups", "Plugins",
    > "Scripts" and so on. Each of them gives you on right hand its own
    > window with a number of different settings for that theme.

    Thanks, got it. It was not exactly obvious...

    But it still does not do what I want: it blocks images based on their URL,
    like several other extensions, and not based on the URL Of the page that
    contains them. I blocked images from myspace.com, and still most images
    load, because they are hosted on other hosts.

    In addition, some selections don't seem to stick: if I select "enable
    automatic update checks" once a week, it is back to once a day when I look
    at it later. Similarly, "Disable extra menu items for the Personal
    Toolbar" loses its checkmark and the extra items are displayed.

    Pierre
    --
    Pierre Jelenc
    The Gigometer www.gigometer.com
    Home Office Records www.homeofficerecords.com

  14. Re: SeaMonkey questions

    I've encountered another Multizilla problem: groups of bookmarks
    ("Groupmarks") are now expanded into a subfolder instead of behaving as a
    group and opening all the tabs they contain! I don't see any setting to go
    back to the original behavior.

    Pierre
    --
    Pierre Jelenc
    The Gigometer www.gigometer.com
    Home Office Records www.homeofficerecords.com

  15. Re: SeaMonkey questions

    On Thu, 5 Jul 2007 02:44:59 UTC, rcpj@panix.com (Pierre Jelenc) wrote:

    > Herbert Rosenau writes:
    > >
    > > Use the menue entry immediately right hand of "file" and open it. The
    > > lowest entry (german: Einstellungen") ("settings"?) pops up an own
    > > dialog. There is an entry named "Multizilla". When you have installed
    > > the most current verion then press it. It changes its right hand
    > > window and shows the button "Open preference manager". Press it. A new
    > > window pops up. On its menue press "Popus". The newly opened dialog
    > > gives you from top to bottom "Cookies", "Images", "Popups", "Plugins",
    > > "Scripts" and so on. Each of them gives you on right hand its own
    > > window with a number of different settings for that theme.

    > Thanks, got it. It was not exactly obvious...
    >
    > But it still does not do what I want: it blocks images based on their URL,
    > like several other extensions, and not based on the URL Of the page that
    > contains them. I blocked images from myspace.com, and still most images
    > load, because they are hosted on other hosts.

    Have you read
    ?

    > In addition, some selections don't seem to stick: if I select "enable
    > automatic update checks" once a week, it is back to once a day when I look
    > at it later. Similarly, "Disable extra menu items for the Personal
    > Toolbar" loses its checkmark and the extra items are displayed.

    I'm not the author of multizilla. But
    will help to get bugs
    removed, may give you more
    help and
    gives
    you extended help from experts.

    By that does with a single mouse
    click what you searchs for. show your own page without any graphics,
    as it is useful for WEB developers to check the view of theyr pages
    like text only browers present them.

    --
    Tschau/Bye
    Herbert

    eComStation 1.2R Deutsch ist da!

  16. Re: SeaMonkey questions

    Herbert Rosenau writes:

    > Have you read
    > ?

    Yes, and as far as I can tell, you need to know the URL of the image in
    order to block it, by domain name, which is of no use to me since these
    URLs change constantly. Only the containing page has a fixed domain name,
    "myspace.com".

    > By that does with a single mouse
    > click what you searchs for. show your own page without any graphics,
    > as it is useful for WEB developers to check the view of theyr pages
    > like text only browers present them.

    That is no different from disabling images from the preferences or from
    the Preferences Toolbar extension (which is more convenient, no need to
    drill down a menu): it disables all images on all pages, in other tabs and
    windows. I want to load *only* myspace.com pages with no images, and all
    other
    pages normally.

    Pierre
    --
    Pierre Jelenc
    The Gigometer www.gigometer.com
    Home Office Records www.homeofficerecords.com

  17. Re: SeaMonkey questions

    Sir:

    Pierre Jelenc wrote:
    > Herbert Rosenau writes:
    >> Have you read
    >> ?

    > Yes, and as far as I can tell, you need to know the URL of the image in
    > order to block it, by domain name, which is of no use to me since these
    > URLs change constantly. Only the containing page has a fixed domain name,
    > "myspace.com".
    >
    >> By that does with a single mouse
    >> click what you searchs for. show your own page without any graphics,
    >> as it is useful for WEB developers to check the view of theyr pages
    >> like text only browers present them.

    > That is no different from disabling images from the preferences or from
    > the Preferences Toolbar extension (which is more convenient, no need to
    > drill down a menu): it disables all images on all pages, in other tabs and
    > windows. I want to load *only* myspace.com pages with no images, and all
    > other
    > pages normally.
    >
    > Pierre

    May I make a suggestion? There is a wish list for SeaMonkey-Firefox.
    Post a request there and someone who can do something with it may see
    it. Also, if you see an extension that almost does what you wish, ask
    on its development list for the additional feature.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  18. Re: SeaMonkey questions

    Pierre Jelenc wrote:

    >> The bookmarks editor allows you to specify any bookmarks folder to be
    >> used as the personal toolbar (View -> Set as Personal Toolbar Folder).
    >> You probably have the wrong folder set to be the toolbar right now.

    > But that does not create a new copy, does it? I suppose it could be a good
    > thing sometimes, but it also leaves it at the mercy of one profile
    > screwing it up for all the others.

    A new copy? I don't understand your reply. If you do as I suggested,
    does it cause some problem?

  19. Re: SeaMonkey questions

    Pierre Jelenc wrote:
    > Herbert Rosenau writes:
    >> Use the menue entry immediately right hand of "file" and open it. The
    >> lowest entry (german: Einstellungen") ("settings"?) pops up an own
    >> dialog. There is an entry named "Multizilla". When you have installed
    >> the most current verion then press it. It changes its right hand
    >> window and shows the button "Open preference manager". Press it. A new
    >> window pops up. On its menue press "Popus". The newly opened dialog
    >> gives you from top to bottom "Cookies", "Images", "Popups", "Plugins",
    >> "Scripts" and so on. Each of them gives you on right hand its own
    >> window with a number of different settings for that theme.

    > Thanks, got it. It was not exactly obvious...
    >
    > But it still does not do what I want: it blocks images based on their URL,
    > like several other extensions, and not based on the URL Of the page that
    > contains them. I blocked images from myspace.com, and still most images
    > load, because they are hosted on other hosts.

    Perhaps Greasemonkey can be programmed to do the trick.

    It is a Firefox extension which can be made to run on SM too:

    Greasemonkey is quite a powerful extension. I haven't tried it on OS/2
    yet, though.

    Philip

+ Reply to Thread