Pronews/2 v1.59 released - OS2

This is a discussion on Pronews/2 v1.59 released - OS2 ; I'm pleased to announce the release of Pronews/2 v1.59 Pronews/2 is a multithreaded NNTP Newsreader program for OS/2. If you are upgrading from any Pronews/2 release prior to 1.59 you are strongly advised to make a backup copy of the ...

  1. Pronews/2 v1.59 released

    I'm pleased to announce the release of Pronews/2 v1.59

    Pronews/2 is a multithreaded NNTP Newsreader program for OS/2.

    If you are upgrading from any Pronews/2 release prior to 1.59 you are strongly
    advised to make a backup copy of the file \pronews\toolbar.ini as this release
    changes the on-disk format of this file. You will not be able to run a previous
    release of Pronews/2 unless you restore an old copy of this file.

    If you are upgrading from a release prior to 1.54 then you are strongly urged to
    backup your existing filter files as the files have a different on-disk format
    from 1.54 onwards. Failure to backup files *.FLT in \pronews and
    \pronews\headers will mean it will be impossible to use your filters if you
    should need to revert to a release prior to 1.54. You should also read the
    readme.txt file installed in the \pronews directory as this covers changes and
    new features from prior releases as well as tips for making Pronews/2 quicker.

    You can find Pronews/2 1.59 on ftp://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/incoming (later to be
    ftp://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/apps/internet/news/reader) as pn2v159.zip.

    Pronews/2 is shareware and all profits from its sale are donated to the charity
    Save the Children.

    Pronews/2 v1.59 is a relatively small update with a few bugs fixed. There are
    no new features in this release. A list of the fixes is available in your
    \pronews directory after install in the file fixed.txt.

    More information about all changes and installation instructions can be found in
    the readme file after (or during) the install.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  2. Re: Pronews/2 v1.59 released

    On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 17:17:26 -0500, Trevor Hemsley
    wrote:
    > I'm pleased to announce the release of Pronews/2 v1.59

    Excellent, excellent. Thanks for all the work, Trevor!

    Incidentally, many moons ago I e-mailed you with a few recommendations for
    changes to the default cpalias.pn file (and a few other codepage-related
    remarks). Did you ever receive that?

    I've been studying codepage and charset issues quite closely over the past
    year or so, since I'm the person who's mostly rewritten the charset logic
    for the upcoming VOICE version of PMMail. I've been having particular fun
    implementing support for East Asian text (Chinese, Japanese & Korean). I
    know your means for testing DBCS is somewhat limited, so if you want to
    compare notes I'm more than happy to do so.

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

    Remove hat to reply (reply-to address).

  3. Re: Pronews/2 v1.59 released

    On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 15:17:01 UTC in comp.os.os2.mail-news, Alex Taylor
    wrote:

    > On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 17:17:26 -0500, Trevor Hemsley
    > wrote:
    > > I'm pleased to announce the release of Pronews/2 v1.59

    > Excellent, excellent. Thanks for all the work, Trevor!
    >
    > Incidentally, many moons ago I e-mailed you with a few recommendations for
    > changes to the default cpalias.pn file (and a few other codepage-related
    > remarks). Did you ever receive that?

    I did get that mail, yes. I don't think I ever did anything with it though
    because for most of this stuff, I can't test it - or if I could test it, it
    wouldn't mean anything and I'd have no way of knowing if it was correct or not.
    If you have patched versions of the *.pn files that work better then I'd be
    happy to take them and put them into a future release. Post 'em here and then
    anyone that wants to use them in advance can do so too.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  4. Re: Pronews/2 v1.59 released

    On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 15:36:44 UTC, "Trevor Hemsley"
    wrote:

    > > Incidentally, many moons ago I e-mailed you with a few recommendations for
    > > changes to the default cpalias.pn file (and a few other codepage-related
    > > remarks). Did you ever receive that?

    > I did get that mail, yes. I don't think I ever did anything with it though
    > because for most of this stuff, I can't test it - or if I could test it, it
    > wouldn't mean anything and I'd have no way of knowing if it was correct or not.
    > If you have patched versions of the *.pn files that work better then I'd be
    > happy to take them and put them into a future release. Post 'em here and then
    > anyone that wants to use them in advance can do so too.

    OK, here they are.

    Some notes:

    * I've found that the file CODEPAGE.PN _must_ include an entry for
    the currently-active codepage in order for conversion to work.

    For instance, when running under codepage 932 (Japanese), this
    file must contain codepage 932 (and not any aliases - 943 will
    not be accepted in this case) for any Japanese text, even in a
    UTF-8 message, to be displayable.

    I assume this is because PN/2 is using the contents of CODEPAGE.PN
    to get the list of acceptable targets for UniUconvFromUcs(), or
    something similar. Perhaps some logic could be added to make the
    current codepage - i.e. from WinQueryCp() - be automatically
    treated as an entry?

    * I've tested Japanese and verifies that it works (for UTF-8
    encoded messages, and should work for EUC-JP and SJIS as well);
    I have not tested Korean or either form of Chinese.

    * HZ-GB-2312 and ISO-2022-* are escape-sequence encodings and do
    not have any corresponding OS/2 codepage, so they cannot be
    supported by Pronews (unless dedicated programming is added).

    * It's actually possible to test this without a DBCS version of
    OS/2. Just set the secondary system codepage in CONFIG.SYS to
    the desired value (932 for Japanese, 1381 for mainland Chinese,
    950 for Taiwanese, 949 for Korean, etc.) and reboot. Then
    on the Language tab of the Pronews program object, you can set
    the program to use that codepage. Set the message reader to use
    a font like "Monotype Sans Duospace WT J", then try reading
    messages in those languages. Again, the active codepage must be
    included in CODEPAGE.PN for this to work... (my sample file below
    only includes 932/Japanese; add others as needed).

    CPALIAS.PN
    ----------------8<---------------------------------8<-----------------
    iso-8859-1,ibm1252
    iso-8859-2,ibm912
    iso-8859-3,ibm913
    iso-8859-4,ibm914
    iso-8859-5,ibm915
    iso-8859-6,ibm1089
    iso-8859-7,ibm1253
    iso-8859-8,ibm916
    iso-8859-9,ibm920
    koi-8r,ibm878
    koi8-r,ibm878
    iso-8859-15,ibm923
    iso-8859-16,ibm912
    iso88591,ibm850
    iso88592,ibm912
    iso88593,ibm913
    iso88594,ibm914
    iso88595,ibm915
    iso88596,ibm1089
    iso88597,ibm1253
    iso88598,ibm916
    iso88599,ibm920
    iso885915,ibm923
    iso885916,ibm912
    Windows-1252,ibm1252
    UTF-8,UTF-8
    UTF8,UTF-8
    us-ascii,ibm437
    us-asci,ibm437
    ### Asian DBCS charsets
    BIG-5,ibm950
    BIG5,ibm950
    shift-jis,ibm943
    shift_jis,ibm943
    gb2312,ibm1381
    gbk,ibm1386
    x-gbk,ibm1386
    euc-tw,ibm964
    x-euc-tw,ibm964
    euc-jp,ibm954
    euc-kr,970
    # Not technically supported, but should be backwards compatible with GBK:
    gb18030,ibm1386
    # Escape-sequence-based encodings that don't correspond to any codepage:
    iso-2022-jp,ibm1252
    iso2022-jp,ibm1252
    iso2022jp,ibm1252
    hz-gb-2312,ibm1252
    ----------------8<---------------------------------8<-----------------

    CODEPAGE.PN
    ----------------8<---------------------------------8<-----------------
    #
    # This file is used by Pronews to decide what codepages are on the menu in
    # which position
    # Lines starting with # are comments and are ignored
    # Format is: position,codepage
    #
    # Do not delete
    # You should not add lines to this file as any changes made may be overwritten
    # in subsequent releases and the changes may then be incompatible with yours.
    #
    0,Current
    1,437
    2,850
    3,852
    4,855
    5,857
    6,860
    7,861
    8,862
    9,863
    10,865
    11,869
    12,1208
    13,932
    ----------------8<---------------------------------8<-----------------

    CHARSETS.PN
    ----------------8<---------------------------------8<-----------------
    #
    # This file is used by Pronews to decide what character sets are on the menu in
    # which position
    # Lines starting with # are comments and are ignored
    # Format is: position,charset,alias-name
    #
    # Do not delete
    # You should not add lines to this file as any changes made may be overwritten
    # in subsequent releases and the changes may then be incompatible with yours.
    #
    0,US-ASCII
    1,ISO-8859-1,Latin 1
    2,ISO-8859-2,Latin 2
    3,ISO-8859-3,Latin 3
    4,ISO-8859-4,Latin 4
    5,ISO-8859-5,Cyrillic
    6,ISO-8859-6,Arabic
    7,ISO-8859-7,Greece
    8,ISO-8859-8,Israel
    9,ISO-8859-9,Latin 5
    10,KOI-8R
    11,ISO-8859-15,Latin 9
    12,Windows-1252
    13,UTF-8
    14,Shift-JIS,Japanese
    ----------------8<---------------------------------8<-----------------

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

    Remove hat to reply (reply-to address).

  5. Re: Pronews/2 v1.59 released

    I just tried pronews -noid -noua, but in my postings there is still a
    "Message-ID:" header.
    What am I doing wrong?

    JMS

  6. Re: Pronews/2 v1.59 released

    On Fri, 6 Jul 2007 08:05:30 UTC in comp.os.os2.apps, Martin
    wrote:

    > I just tried pronews -noid -noua, but in my postings there is still a
    > "Message-ID:" header.
    > What am I doing wrong?

    Well, if you had posted *this* article with Pronews/2 then I would stand a
    better chance of telling you.

    My own suspicion is that your news server is adding a message id line to your
    post because it is missing one. All posts have to have a message-id I think.
    This one is posted using -noid -noua too

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  7. Re: Pronews/2 v1.59 released

    On Fri, 6 Jul 2007 21:24:25 UTC in comp.os.os2.apps, "Trevor Hemsley"
    wrote:

    > My own suspicion is that your news server is adding a message id line to your
    > post because it is missing one. All posts have to have a message-id I think.
    > This one is posted using -noid -noua too

    Right, and the answer is that -noid does not do what you think it does. Each
    Pronews installation has a unique id that is saved in its pronews.ini file and
    is
    posted as part of the message id line. It uses this to keep track of your own
    posts and tell you if someone has replied to it - the replies are highlighted in
    the article list and groups containing them are highlighted on the Control
    panel. If you use -noid then the message id that is posted does not contain that
    unique id and can't be tracked back to your installation of pronews. Nor does it
    contain the '-pn2-' string that would otherwise be generated. Each post you make
    with -noid contains random characters instead of the unique id. The hostname
    portion of the message id can then be overridden by using PNHOSTNAME in
    pronews.env or in a SET statement in config.sys.

    A news article has to contain a message id.

    Sorry for any misinformation before, I was reading your post and thinking that
    you had recently read the doc for it.

     -noid - Tell Pronews NOT to generate a Message-ID for articles posted
    by you that contain a unique string that can be used to track your own
    articles. Reply highlighting to your own articles will be disabled by using
    this switch but *the message-ID included with each article will no longer
    identify itself as coming from your copy of Pronews*.

     -noua - Tell Pronews NOT to include a User-Agent line in posts made by
    you.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  8. Re: Pronews/2 v1.59 released

    Thanks Trevor for clarifying this.
    Reading "noid: Tell Pronews NOT to generate a Message-ID" in the
    program help, I thought pronews does not generate the message id and
    let the news server do that.

    Jens Martin Schlatter

+ Reply to Thread