Installing Fixpak C006? - OS2

This is a discussion on Installing Fixpak C006? - OS2 ; Could someone remind me how to install this fixpak, and what to look for when a fixpak won't install. Its been a long time since I've had to do it, and I keep getting the old can't install messages. I ...

  1. Installing Fixpak C006?

    Could someone remind me how to install this fixpak, and what to look for
    when a fixpak won't install.

    Its been a long time since I've had to do it, and I keep getting the old
    can't install messages. I removed the service.log file, and the *.000
    file. I really don't want to reinstall WARP. But I guess after 4 years
    on the current install, I shouldn't complain.

    TIA

  2. Re: Installing Fixpak C006?

    letoured@nospam.net wrote:
    > Could someone remind me how to install this fixpak, and what to look for
    > when a fixpak won't install.
    >
    > Its been a long time since I've had to do it, and I keep getting the old
    > can't install messages. I removed the service.log file, and the *.000
    > file. I really don't want to reinstall WARP. But I guess after 4 years
    > on the current install, I shouldn't complain.

    I'm not sure what the 'right' way to install XR_C006 is but I used
    os2serv that comes with csf144.

    1) Unzip the fixpack to create the fix directory structure.
    2) change to the folder with the os2serv.exe tool
    3) at an os2 command prompt from that folder, use something like this:

    OS2SERV P:\OS2SERV\CSF Q:\fixpack\XR_C006 R:

    where P is the drive with the os2serv folders, Q is the drive with the
    fixpack directories, and R is the drive with OS2 installed that you want
    to service. You should theb get the os2serv pm window opening up with
    the usual stuff for archive folders and drives to service.

    --
    Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    and Sea Monkey 1.5a

  3. Re: Installing Fixpak C006?

    Thank you for the instructions David. Your post is a keeper, just like
    the rest of your posts.

    Have a good day sir.

    In <12u6aiermdmgf9b@corp.supernews.com>, on 02/26/2007
    at 10:42 AM, "David T. Johnson" said:

    >letoured@nospam.net wrote:
    >> Could someone remind me how to install this fixpak, and what to look for
    >> when a fixpak won't install.
    >>
    >> Its been a long time since I've had to do it, and I keep getting the old
    >> can't install messages. I removed the service.log file, and the *.000
    >> file. I really don't want to reinstall WARP. But I guess after 4 years
    >> on the current install, I shouldn't complain.

    >I'm not sure what the 'right' way to install XR_C006 is but I used
    >os2serv that comes with csf144.

    >1) Unzip the fixpack to create the fix directory structure.
    >2) change to the folder with the os2serv.exe tool
    >3) at an os2 command prompt from that folder, use something like this:

    >OS2SERV P:\OS2SERV\CSF Q:\fixpack\XR_C006 R:

    >where P is the drive with the os2serv folders, Q is the drive with the
    >fixpack directories, and R is the drive with OS2 installed that you want
    >to service. You should theb get the os2serv pm window opening up with
    >the usual stuff for archive folders and drives to service.

  4. Re: Installing Fixpak C006?

    On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 17:56:19 GMT, letoured@nospam.net wrote:

    >Could someone remind me how to install this fixpak, and what to look for
    >when a fixpak won't install.
    >
    >Its been a long time since I've had to do it, and I keep getting the old
    >can't install messages. I removed the service.log file, and the *.000
    >file. I really don't want to reinstall WARP. But I guess after 4 years
    >on the current install, I shouldn't complain.

    My question is where did FixPak 6 come from?

    Eric Erickson
    Elvish Software Foundry, Inc. - Internet: drowelf@vnetAntiSpam.net
    Already where I want to be Today - Voice/Fax: (218)-398-2625

  5. Re: Installing Fixpak C006?

    In , on
    09/12/2007
    at 05:54 AM, "Eric Erickson" said:

    >On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 17:56:19 GMT, letoured@nospam.net wrote:

    >>Could someone remind me how to install this fixpak, and what to look for
    >>when a fixpak won't install.
    >>
    >>Its been a long time since I've had to do it, and I keep getting the old
    >>can't install messages. I removed the service.log file, and the *.000
    >>file. I really don't want to reinstall WARP. But I guess after 4 years
    >>on the current install, I shouldn't complain.
    >>

    >My question is where did FixPak 6 come from?

    It was a bootleg release from someone in IBM, that was posted to an
    internet site. Some here installed it with no problems.

    >Eric Erickson
    >Elvish Software Foundry, Inc. - Internet:
    >drowelf@vnetAntiSpam.net Already where I want to be Today - Voice/Fax:
    >(218)-398-2625

  6. Re: Installing Fixpak C006?

    yxutwvrs@nospam.net wrote:
    > In , on
    > 09/12/2007
    > at 05:54 AM, "Eric Erickson" said:
    >

    >> On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 17:56:19 GMT, letoured@nospam.net wrote:

    >>> Could someone remind me how to install this fixpak, and what to look for
    >>> when a fixpak won't install.
    >>>
    >>> Its been a long time since I've had to do it, and I keep getting the old
    >>> can't install messages. I removed the service.log file, and the *.000
    >>> file. I really don't want to reinstall WARP. But I guess after 4 years
    >>> on the current install, I shouldn't complain.
    >>>

    >> My question is where did FixPak 6 come from?

    > It was a bootleg release from someone in IBM, that was posted to an
    > internet site. Some here installed it with no problems.

    It is junk.
    Andy

  7. Re: Installing Fixpak C006?

    yxutwvrs@nospam.net wrote:
    > In , on
    > 09/12/2007
    > at 05:54 AM, "Eric Erickson" said:
    >

    >> On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 17:56:19 GMT, letoured@nospam.net wrote:

    >>> Could someone remind me how to install this fixpak, and what to look for
    >>> when a fixpak won't install.
    >>>
    >>> Its been a long time since I've had to do it, and I keep getting the old
    >>> can't install messages. I removed the service.log file, and the *.000
    >>> file. I really don't want to reinstall WARP. But I guess after 4 years
    >>> on the current install, I shouldn't complain.
    >>>

    >> My question is where did FixPak 6 come from?

    > It was a bootleg release from someone in IBM, that was posted to an
    > internet site. Some here installed it with no problems.

    Last post hasn't shown up but I thought I should expand:
    It is Junk.
    It is not even an Alpha level internal release.
    Andy

  8. Re: Installing Fixpak C006?

    Andy Willis wrote:
    > yxutwvrs@nospam.net wrote:
    >> In , on
    >> 09/12/2007 at 05:54 AM, "Eric Erickson"
    >> said:

    >>> My question is where did FixPak 6 come from?

    >> It was a bootleg release from someone in IBM, that was posted to an
    >> internet site. Some here installed it with no problems.

    > Last post hasn't shown up but I thought I should expand:
    > It is Junk.
    > It is not even an Alpha level internal release.
    > Andy

    And you know this how? Do you actually know anything about C0006? If
    so, it would he helpful to share that here rather than just
    characterizing it as "junk."

    --
    Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    and Sea Monkey 1.5a

  9. Re: Installing Fixpak C006?

    I am also interested in where you obtained the Sea Monkey you are
    posting here with. You seem to be using a very recent (8 September 07)
    build of Sea Monkey 2.0 but the newest 'daily' public build is only 3
    July 07). Did you build it yourself? If so, how?

    --
    Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    and Sea Monkey 1.5a

  10. Re: Installing Fixpak C006?

    In <46e826f8$0$12975$6d36acad@fe2.nntpserver.com>, on 09/12/2007
    at 01:51 PM, Andy Willis said:

    >yxutwvrs@nospam.net wrote:
    >> In , on
    >> 09/12/2007
    >> at 05:54 AM, "Eric Erickson" said:

    >>> My question is where did FixPak 6 come from?

    >> It was a bootleg release from someone in IBM, that was posted to an
    >> internet site. Some here installed it with no problems.
    >>

    >It is junk.
    >Andy

    I have not seen any posts with problems here.

  11. Re: Installing Fixpak C006?

    Sir:

    David T. Johnson wrote:
    > I am also interested in where you obtained the Sea Monkey you are
    > posting here with. You seem to be using a very recent (8 September 07)
    > build of Sea Monkey 2.0 but the newest 'daily' public build is only 3
    > July 07). Did you build it yourself? If so, how?

    is a
    good place to start. Visit on
    to get help. OS/2 instructions are here:
    .
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  12. Re: Installing Fixpak C006?

    David T. Johnson wrote:
    > Andy Willis wrote:
    >> yxutwvrs@nospam.net wrote:
    >>> In , on

    >>> It was a bootleg release from someone in IBM, that was posted to an
    >>> internet site. Some here installed it with no problems.

    >> Last post hasn't shown up but I thought I should expand:
    >> It is Junk.
    >> It is not even an Alpha level internal release.
    >> Andy
    >>

    > And you know this how? Do you actually know anything about C0006? If
    > so, it would he helpful to share that here rather than just
    > characterizing it as "junk."

    C0006 itself (which was released to certain groups) may be fine but
    the code that was "released" was not even at beta level. I called
    Rodney (IBM OS/2 support contact at the time) on his tie line when
    some work was being done on pmmerge. He said that which was released
    was not even a beta release, just an internal code transfer. I had
    tried it myself and it destabilized the system severely.

  13. Re: Installing Fixpak C006?

    David T. Johnson wrote:
    > I am also interested in where you obtained the Sea Monkey you are
    > posting here with. You seem to be using a very recent (8 September 07)
    > build of Sea Monkey 2.0 but the newest 'daily' public build is only 3
    > July 07). Did you build it yourself? If so, how?

    Yes, it is a build that I created. It is fully Cairo rendered and
    working fairly quickly finally but uses memory like it is going out of
    style.
    Bill pointed out the build instructions. Peter put quite a bit of
    work in getting them up to date. I have had my build environment
    since it was still built with VAC and helped in the initial transition
    to initially GCC 3.2.1 while waiting for the 3.2.2 release and have
    been using my own builds built from Trunk as my primary browser since
    that time. Currently, if you pull the CVS there are a couple of
    patches that need to be applied to Trunk to fix build breaks and the
    one that gets Cairo to render without flashing everything at you
    constantly while the page loads.

  14. Re: Installing Fixpak C006?

    Andy Willis wrote:
    > David T. Johnson wrote:
    >> Andy Willis wrote:

    >>> Last post hasn't shown up but I thought I should expand:
    >>> It is Junk.
    >>> It is not even an Alpha level internal release.
    >>> Andy
    >>>

    >> And you know this how? Do you actually know anything about C0006? If
    >> so, it would he helpful to share that here rather than just
    >> characterizing it as "junk."
    >>

    > C0006 itself (which was released to certain groups) may be fine but the
    > code that was "released" was not even at beta level. I called Rodney
    > (IBM OS/2 support contact at the time) on his tie line when some work
    > was being done on pmmerge. He said that which was released was not even
    > a beta release, just an internal code transfer. I had tried it myself
    > and it destabilized the system severely.

    The fully-compiled XR_C0006 was posted here back in January after IBM
    had closed the final remnants of their OS/2 group down. I assumed that
    it was just the final output of what they had been working on when they
    stopped. I've not seen the actual code itself and I have never heard of
    that being posted anywhere. I installed XR_C006 and did not find any
    stability issues. The only but that I have ever seen anyone else post
    about it was some problem with a DOS copy in a dos session or something.
    I've forgotten just what it was but I tried it at the time and confirmed
    that there it was a bug. From my experience, I would say that fixpack 6
    is better than fixpack 5 (which had serious pmmerge problems) and on a
    par with fixpack 4.

    --
    Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    and Sea Monkey 1.5a

  15. Re: Installing Fixpak C006?

    Andy Willis wrote:
    > David T. Johnson wrote:
    >> I am also interested in where you obtained the Sea Monkey you are
    >> posting here with. You seem to be using a very recent (8 September
    >> 07) build of Sea Monkey 2.0 but the newest 'daily' public build is
    >> only 3 July 07). Did you build it yourself? If so, how?
    >>

    > Yes, it is a build that I created. It is fully Cairo rendered and
    > working fairly quickly finally but uses memory like it is going out of
    > style.
    > Bill pointed out the build instructions. Peter put quite a bit of work
    > in getting them up to date. I have had my build environment since it
    > was still built with VAC and helped in the initial transition to
    > initially GCC 3.2.1 while waiting for the 3.2.2 release and have been
    > using my own builds built from Trunk as my primary browser since that
    > time. Currently, if you pull the CVS there are a couple of patches that
    > need to be applied to Trunk to fix build breaks and the one that gets
    > Cairo to render without flashing everything at you constantly while the
    > page loads.

    Any chance you might upload one of your builds to Hobbes?

    --
    Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    and Sea Monkey 1.5a

  16. Re: Installing Fixpak C006?

    David T. Johnson wrote:
    > Andy Willis wrote:
    >> David T. Johnson wrote:
    >>> I am also interested in where you obtained the Sea Monkey you are
    >>> posting here with. You seem to be using a very recent (8 September
    >>> 07) build of Sea Monkey 2.0 but the newest 'daily' public build is
    >>> only 3 July 07). Did you build it yourself? If so, how?
    >>>

    >> Yes, it is a build that I created. It is fully Cairo rendered and
    >> working fairly quickly finally but uses memory like it is going out of
    >> style.
    >> Bill pointed out the build instructions. Peter put quite a bit of
    >> work in getting them up to date. I have had my build environment
    >> since it was still built with VAC and helped in the initial transition
    >> to initially GCC 3.2.1 while waiting for the 3.2.2 release and have
    >> been using my own builds built from Trunk as my primary browser since
    >> that time. Currently, if you pull the CVS there are a couple of
    >> patches that need to be applied to Trunk to fix build breaks and the
    >> one that gets Cairo to render without flashing everything at you
    >> constantly while the page loads.
    >>

    > Any chance you might upload one of your builds to Hobbes?

    If you'd like to try it, I have already uploaded it up to netlabs:
    ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/incoming/seamonkey.zip
    rendering is pretty good (I run my laptop in Battery Optimized mode
    and it isn't bad). But it uses *lots* of memory, esp. if using
    mail/news and/or chatzilla. It was using 700M+ the other day. To
    give an idea, resizing larger or smaller uses memory, opening and
    closing tabs uses memory, essentially doing anything uses memory and
    is only released on closing down. I've got enough memory that I am
    able to use it as my primary browser, mail/news client, and IRC
    client. With less than a Gig of memory its probably only useful to
    see the current state.
    Andy

  17. Re: Installing Fixpak C006?

    Andy Willis wrote:
    > David T. Johnson wrote:
    >> Andy Willis wrote:
    >>>>
    >>> Yes, it is a build that I created. It is fully Cairo rendered and
    >>> working fairly quickly finally but uses memory like it is going out
    >>> of style.
    >>> Bill pointed out the build instructions. Peter put quite a bit of
    >>> work in getting them up to date. I have had my build environment
    >>> since it was still built with VAC and helped in the initial
    >>> transition to initially GCC 3.2.1 while waiting for the 3.2.2 release
    >>> and have been using my own builds built from Trunk as my primary
    >>> browser since that time. Currently, if you pull the CVS there are a
    >>> couple of patches that need to be applied to Trunk to fix build
    >>> breaks and the one that gets Cairo to render without flashing
    >>> everything at you constantly while the page loads.
    >>>

    >> Any chance you might upload one of your builds to Hobbes?
    >>

    > If you'd like to try it, I have already uploaded it up to netlabs:
    > ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/incoming/seamonkey.zip
    > rendering is pretty good (I run my laptop in Battery Optimized mode and
    > it isn't bad). But it uses *lots* of memory, esp. if using mail/news
    > and/or chatzilla. It was using 700M+ the other day. To give an idea,
    > resizing larger or smaller uses memory, opening and closing tabs uses
    > memory, essentially doing anything uses memory and is only released on
    > closing down. I've got enough memory that I am able to use it as my
    > primary browser, mail/news client, and IRC client. With less than a Gig
    > of memory its probably only useful to see the current state.
    > Andy

    Thank you. I'll give it a try in a week or so and see what the memory
    usage is here. The seamonkey I'm using right now only is only using 42
    mb. Do the non-OS2 versions also use the same 700+ mb magnitude of
    memory? If so, maybe the developers right now are just trying to rough
    out the function and not worrying very much about the details of memory
    usage.

    --
    Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    and Sea Monkey 1.5a

  18. Re: Installing Fixpak C006?

    Andy.

    Do you mean Fixpack 6 (14.106 kernel) or Fixpack 6 (14.105) ?

  19. Re: Installing Fixpak C006?

    martini wrote:
    > Andy.
    >
    > Do you mean Fixpack 6 (14.106 kernel) or Fixpack 6 (14.105) ?

    Fixpack 6 XR_C006 uses the 14.105 kernel. I have not heard of the
    existence of a 14.106 kernel.
    --
    Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    and Sea Monkey 1.5a

  20. Re: Installing Fixpak C006?

    martini wrote:
    > Andy.
    >
    > Do you mean Fixpack 6 (14.106 kernel) or Fixpack 6 (14.105) ?

    What I am referring to is the one that came with 14.105 (which I
    immediately had to back out to 14.104a as I did have some sort of
    immediate problem with 14.105 (and it is not the same as 14.104a as
    the sizes are different).
    Andy

+ Reply to Thread