What Digital Camera for OS/2 - OS2

This is a discussion on What Digital Camera for OS/2 - OS2 ; I am replacing a digital camera and wanted to know one that was really compatible with OS/2 and the photo software like Cameraderie? I am running 4.52. I have my main photo computer, an iMac with iPhoto, but it will ...

  1. What Digital Camera for OS/2

    I am replacing a digital camera and wanted to know one that was really
    compatible with OS/2 and the photo software like Cameraderie? I am
    running 4.52. I have my main photo computer, an iMac with iPhoto, but
    it will recognize any camera, whereas my IBM 6578-TBU with two USB
    ports might be picky running OS/2. I have PM View2000 and the last
    free USB drivers. Any suggestions? Looking for a camera around $200.
    --
    "What do you mean there's no movie?"

  2. Re: What Digital Camera for OS/2

    In , on 01/23/2007
    at 05:12 PM, "Count Floyd"
    said:

    >I am replacing a digital camera and wanted to know one that was really
    >compatible with OS/2 and the photo software like Cameraderie? I am
    >running 4.52. I have my main photo computer, an iMac with iPhoto, but it
    >will recognize any camera, whereas my IBM 6578-TBU with two USB ports
    >might be picky running OS/2. I have PM View2000 and the last free USB
    >drivers. Any suggestions? Looking for a camera around $200. --
    >"What do you mean there's no movie?"

    --

    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny.

    Copy and paste bunny into your
    signature to help him gain world domination.

    * Alan Townsend Sechelt, BC Canada
    *
    * E-Mail: altownsend@dccnet.com
    * Home Page:
    * Tel: (604) 885-0943
    *
    * Mr2 Ice: Reg #582

  3. Re: What Digital Camera for OS/2

    On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 17:12:19 -0600, Count Floyd wrote:

    >I am replacing a digital camera and wanted to know one that was really
    >compatible with OS/2 and the photo software like Cameraderie? I am
    >running 4.52. I have my main photo computer, an iMac with iPhoto, but
    >it will recognize any camera, whereas my IBM 6578-TBU with two USB
    >ports might be picky running OS/2. I have PM View2000 and the last
    >free USB drivers. Any suggestions? Looking for a camera around $200.

    I have a (rather old) Olympus Camedia here - the deciding feature I like is
    that I just take the card (CompactFlash and xD) out and put it into my
    internal cardreader (USB umteen in one). works flawlessly with FotoGet/2.

    Cheers
    Andreas

    --

    Andreas Ludwig
    Vancouver, BC

  4. Re: What Digital Camera for OS/2

    Count Floyd wrote:
    > I am replacing a digital camera and wanted to know one that was really
    > compatible with OS/2 and the photo software like Cameraderie? I am
    > running 4.52.

    I am running eCS 1.2R and have a Canon S3 IS. I download from the
    camera to my hard drive using Cameraderie via USB with out having to
    mess with the card. Cameraderie downloads the stills, video clips and
    sound with no problem.

    > ports might be picky running OS/2. I have PM View2000 and the last
    > free USB drivers. Any suggestions?

    I an using PMView 3.30 for stills, PlayRec for editing sound and
    Warpvision or ffplay for viewing video and ffmpeg and DVDburn for
    editing video.

    > Looking for a camera around $200.

    I think this camera is somewhat more than that but I really wanted the
    12X zoom for wildlife and the image stabilization.

    The only media things I still have to do under 'doze is if I want to mix
    stills and video. The Canon supplied software will do this but I
    haven't (yet) found eCS-OS/2 software to do it.

    Ted

  5. Re: What Digital Camera for OS/2

    I think you can use any digital camera , if you are primarily dealing
    with JPG files.

    Input the pictures by inserting the memory card into a USB reader.

    The only problem I've run into with OS/2 is in using memory cards with
    more that 2 gB. Up to 2 gB, the cards are formatted FAT16, which is
    no problem. Larger cards are formatted FAT32 and I have not had
    success finding the right driver, although others have.

    As for photo processing, programs such as PmView2000 will work, but
    they are less capable than Photoshop or Nikon's Capture NX, which are
    not available on OS/2.

    If you want to shoot photos in RAW format, I'm not sure what OS/2
    tools are available for processing them, although they can certainly
    be put onto your hard drive and later saved on a CD or DVD.

    One trick for organizing your prints is to rename them with the
    current date and other info. Once loaded into a directory, I rename
    with the following command file

    renex /Y "(.*)\.%2" "%1\1.%2"

    using renex, which is available on Hobbes. For example, if the camera
    generates file names such as DSC_XXXX.JPG, I might apply:

    prepend_name 20070124_reunion_nal_ jpg

    which will rename all JPG files in the directory to the form:

    20070124_reunion_nal_DSC_XXXX.JPG

    which prepends the date, the event and my initials to the names of the
    file for better identification. Putting the date first in this format
    facilitates an easy cronological sort when combined with photos in a
    directory with those taken at other times.

    Good luck,

    Nate Liskov

    "Count Floyd" wrote:

    > I am replacing a digital camera and wanted to know one that was really
    > compatible with OS/2 and the photo software like Cameraderie? I am
    > running 4.52. I have my main photo computer, an iMac with iPhoto, but
    > it will recognize any camera, whereas my IBM 6578-TBU with two USB
    > ports might be picky running OS/2. I have PM View2000 and the last
    > free USB drivers. Any suggestions? Looking for a camera around $200.

    --
    nate_NOSPAM@lcs.mit.edu http://nateliskov.kicks-ass.org
    or http://home.comcast.net/~nateliskov

  6. Re: What Digital Camera for OS/2

    Count Floyd wrote:
    > I am replacing a digital camera and wanted to know one that was really
    > compatible with OS/2 and the photo software like Cameraderie?

    My Fuji E550 is seen like any HD, right out of the box. One thing
    though, using the GUI puts a "WP ROOT. SF" on the camera - this Fuji
    can't handle and needs to format the card. Live with this, or use a prompt.

    hilsen / regards
    --
    steen - kajakparadis.dk filshuse-teltplads.dk menzi.dk
    ---

  7. Re: What Digital Camera for OS/2

    On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 23:12:19 UTC, "Count Floyd" wrote:

    > I am replacing a digital camera and wanted to know one that was really
    > compatible with OS/2 and the photo software like Cameraderie? I am
    > running 4.52. I have my main photo computer, an iMac with iPhoto, but
    > it will recognize any camera, whereas my IBM 6578-TBU with two USB
    > ports might be picky running OS/2. I have PM View2000 and the last
    > free USB drivers. Any suggestions? Looking for a camera around $200.

    When I was looking around a year & a half ago, all the reviews seemed
    to say that Canons produced the best pictures because their "Digic"
    processor was the best. I don't know whether this is still true or
    if it was ever true for their line of miniature cameras. I got an
    A610 (a non-miniature 5 megapixel camera that uses 4 AA batteries)
    for about $300. Now I see they have something similar for $200,
    though it doesn't have the nifty swivelling image viewer like mine.

    The Canon USB interface is PTP, so you'll have to use Cameraderie
    or the like if you want to connect directly. OTOH, if you want to
    put its SD card in a reader, you'll have *no* problems. I went out
    of my way to add EAs to some pictures & the camera couldn't have
    cared less.

    BTW... iPhoto is my role-model (both positive & negative) of what
    a consumer-grade photo app should be. Give me a few years & maybe
    I'll be able to compete with it :-)

    --
    == == almost usable email address: rich AT e-vertise.com == ==

    | Cameraderie v1.1
    Rich Walsh | an organizer & downloader for your PTP camera
    Ft Myers, FL | http://e-vertise.com/misc/camera11.zip

  8. What Digital Camera for OS/2

    Servus Count!

    CF> From: "Count Floyd"
    CF> I am replacing a digital camera and wanted to know one that
    CF> was really compatible with OS/2 and the photo software like
    CF> Cameraderie? I am running 4.52. I have my main photo computer, an iMac
    CF> with iPhoto, but it will recognize any camera, whereas my IBM 6578-TBU
    CF> with two USB ports might be picky running OS/2. I have PM View2000 and
    CF> the last free USB drivers. Any suggestions? Looking for a camera
    CF> around $200.

    Better look around for some $2.- USB Card Reader...

    Herzliche Gruesse, Harald

    -+- Message created on Thursday January, 25 2007 09:42:48 MEZ

  9. Re: What Digital Camera for OS/2

    On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 10:30:10 UTC, "Rich Walsh"
    wrote:

    ->
    -> BTW... iPhoto is my role-model (both positive & negative) of what
    -> a consumer-grade photo app should be. Give me a few years & maybe
    -> I'll be able to compete with it :-)
    ->

    It annoys me in iPhoto that you have to use their predefined directory
    structure to store and view pictures. I realize that Mac is like
    windoze in regard to dumbing things down, but there should be a way to
    select a directory anywhere to do this. Maybe its doable but I
    haven't figured it out, but then I only use the Mac when my daughter
    or son needs help.

    Like many here I just use a card reader under eCS and save my photos
    to my file server. What I'd really like to see is something that
    makes printing photos easy. Like an autocrop to print automatically
    to 4x6 paper and maybe some way to automate printing 3 photos to an
    8.5x11" sheet.

    Mark

    --
    From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

    http://www.os2voice.org
    Warpstock 2006, Windsor, Ontario, Canada, Oct 12-15, 2006 -
    http://www.warpstock.org

  10. Re: What Digital Camera for OS/2

    Mark Dodel wrote:
    > Like many here I just use a card reader under eCS and save my photos
    > to my file server.

    My Canon S3 IS talks to Cameraderie directly - no need to take the card
    out. I just plug the end of the USB cable into the camera and click on
    Camaraderie which I have on the eCenter task bar.

    > What I'd really like to see is something that
    > makes printing photos easy.

    Where can I find some understandable documentation on CUPS? I have an
    Epson Photo R340 that I would like to use from eCS-OS/2.

    > Like an autocrop to print automatically to 4x6 paper

    How is it to decide just what part of the picture you are willing to loose?

    > and maybe some way to automate printing 3 photos to an
    > 8.5x11" sheet.

    I start 2 copies of PMView and load one with a saved all white image of
    pixel dimension large enough. I then copy and paste from the second to
    the large one and print that.

    Ted

  11. Re: What Digital Camera for OS/2

    Rich Walsh wrote:
    > When I was looking around a year & a half ago, all the reviews seemed
    > to say that Canons produced the best pictures because their "Digic"
    > processor was the best. I don't know whether this is still true or
    > if it was ever true for their line of miniature cameras. I got an
    > A610 (a non-miniature 5 megapixel camera that uses 4 AA batteries)
    > for about $300.

    I'm certainly happy with my Canon S3 IS and, of course, Camaraderie.

    But a question, if I may: Why do I have to say to save three times?
    I'm sure you have a reason but I can't figure it out.

    > Now I see they have something similar for $200,
    > though it doesn't have the nifty swivelling image viewer like mine.

    The S3 IS has that. It's great when shooting off a tripod or when
    holding the camera overhead to shoot over people.

    > Give me a few years & maybe I'll be able to compete with it :-)

    What does it have that Cameraderie doesn't have? (I've never been a fan
    of the Mac's dumbing down.)

    Ted

  12. Re: What Digital Camera for OS/2

    On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 17:31:52 UTC, Ted Edwards
    wrote:

    -> Mark Dodel wrote:
    -> > Like many here I just use a card reader under eCS and save my photos
    -> > to my file server.
    -> My Canon S3 IS talks to Cameraderie directly - no need to take the card
    -> out. I just plug the end of the USB cable into the camera and click on
    -> Camaraderie which I have on the eCenter task bar.

    My Nikon is a USB MSD so it is seen as a drive if I plug it in. I
    just find it easier to use a card reader.

    ->
    -> > What I'd really like to see is something that
    -> > makes printing photos easy.
    -> Where can I find some understandable documentation on CUPS? I have an
    -> Epson Photo R340 that I would like to use from eCS-OS/2.

    No idea. I take it you've been to http://svn.netlabs.org/ecups to
    read the documentation there. My Epson Photo 820 works with the
    EPOMNI3 driver. Print quality is very good but the driver doesn't
    explicitly support the 820, so the utilities don't work and resolution
    is only 1440x720. But after seeing that Epson is now suing
    aftermarket cartridge manufacturers, I doubt I'd buy another Epson if
    I need to replace the 820. I tried the early alpha version of eCUPS
    and actually got it to print a test sheet on my Xerox Phaser 8500N,
    but that is a PCL/PS printer so its not that big a deal. It would be
    great to see it work on some of the currently available photo quality
    printers like Canon and HP.

    ->
    -> > Like an autocrop to print automatically to 4x6 paper
    -> How is it to decide just what part of the picture you are willing to loose?
    ->

    Just need a standard size selection rectangle that automatically
    maintains a 4x6 ratio when resized, to move about the image. When it
    encloses the area I want printed then all I need to do is just select
    crop. Right now I have to keep guessing with the selection in PMView
    and then previewing the print to see if it fits on a 4x6 sheet.

    -> > and maybe some way to automate printing 3 photos to an
    -> > 8.5x11" sheet.
    -> I start 2 copies of PMView and load one with a saved all white image of
    -> pixel dimension large enough. I then copy and paste from the second to
    -> the large one and print that.
    ->

    Yes I do the same here. But that takes a lot of time especially if
    the original images are of different resolutions. There has to be a
    way to automate that process.

    Mark

    --
    From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

    http://www.os2voice.org
    Warpstock 2006, Windsor, Ontario, Canada, Oct 12-15, 2006 -
    http://www.warpstock.org

  13. Re: What Digital Camera for OS/2

    On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 17:31:52 GMT, Ted Edwards wrote:

    >Where can I find some understandable documentation on CUPS? I have an
    >Epson Photo R340 that I would like to use from eCS-OS/2.

    I borrowed an Epson Rx620 last year and got it to print with the C60
    driver from epomni5, I just tried drivers until one worked.

    --
    Regards - Rodney Pont

  14. Re: What Digital Camera for OS/2

    On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 11:48:05 UTC, "Mark Dodel" wrote:
    > On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 10:30:10 UTC, "Rich Walsh" wrote:
    >
    > -> BTW... iPhoto is my role-model (both positive & negative) of what
    > -> a consumer-grade photo app should be. Give me a few years & maybe
    > -> I'll be able to compete with it :-)
    >
    > It annoys me in iPhoto that you have to use their predefined directory
    > structure to store and view pictures. I realize that Mac is like
    > windoze in regard to dumbing things down, but there should be a way to
    > select a directory anywhere to do this.

    Like I said, some aspects of iPhoto constitute a negative role-model:
    the rigid directory structure is one of them. Don't even consider
    trying to screw around with it - you're the one who'll get screwed.

    As to dumbing-down, the thing that many people in these groups can't
    comprehend is that most people don't know and don't _want_ to know.
    In fact, they resent the idea that they should have to. In this case,
    they just want something to suck up their pictures and let them organize
    them into albums and slideshows. How the computer does this is of *no*
    interest. In truth, iPhoto's fairly intelligent "don't worry about
    the details" design is head-and-shoulders above a typical Windows
    no-design scenario where you may well find 4,000 jpegs dumped into
    the My Pictures folder.

    > What I'd really like to see is something that makes printing photos
    > easy. Like an autocrop to print automatically to 4x6 paper and maybe
    > some way to automate printing 3 photos to an 8.5x11" sheet.

    Uh... how do you fit 3 4x6 photos on an 8.5x11 sheet of paper? :-)

    --
    == == almost usable email address: rich AT e-vertise.com == ==

    | Cameraderie v1.1
    Rich Walsh | an organizer & downloader for your PTP camera
    Ft Myers, FL | http://e-vertise.com/misc/camera11.zip

  15. Re: What Digital Camera for OS/2

    Rich Walsh wrote:
    > Uh... how do you fit 3 4x6 photos on an 8.5x11 sheet of paper? :-)

    Two vertical plus one horizontal - much cheaper than buying 4x6 paper.

    However, I find I like the results better if I use the "Enhanced" mode
    and that doesn't work all that well in three or four up printing. So
    I cut the 8.5x11 paper into three 4x6's.

    Ted

  16. Re: What Digital Camera for OS/2

    On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 22:37:09 UTC, "Rich Walsh"
    wrote:

    ->
    -> > What I'd really like to see is something that makes printing photos
    -> > easy. Like an autocrop to print automatically to 4x6 paper and maybe
    -> > some way to automate printing 3 photos to an 8.5x11" sheet.
    ->
    -> Uh... how do you fit 3 4x6 photos on an 8.5x11 sheet of paper? :-)
    ->

    If I am printing 3 photos on an 8.5x11 they aren't 4x6 images, just
    whatever I can fit. Usually I'll just print 2 4x6's on a sheet.

    Mark

    --
    From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

    http://www.os2voice.org
    Warpstock 2006, Windsor, Ontario, Canada, Oct 12-15, 2006 -
    http://www.warpstock.org

  17. Re: What Digital Camera for OS/2

    Mark Dodel wrote:

    > My Nikon is a USB MSD so it is seen as a drive if I plug it in.

    The way it should be.

    hilsen / regards
    --
    steen - kajakparadis.dk filshuse-teltplads.dk menzi.dk
    ---

  18. Re: What Digital Camera for OS/2

    Rich Walsh wrote:

    > Uh... how do you fit 3 4x6 photos on an 8.5x11 sheet of paper? :-)

    Compression?

  19. Re: What Digital Camera for OS/2

    Thu Jan 25 2007 10:28 pm

    one print horizontal across the top of the page

    uses 4x6 and wastes 2.5 inches one one side and leaves 8.5x7 on the bottom
    2 prints vertical from the bottom
    uses 8x6 and wastes .5x6 and 1x8.5

    Works for me

    Regards Al