OpenOffice? - OS2

This is a discussion on OpenOffice? - OS2 ; are people using OpenOffice? I've chugged along with StarOffice for a long time now -- the templates I have work just fine, but the app is just no longer stable. I'm not thrilled about paying to get OpenOffice, especially since ...

  1. OpenOffice?

    are people using OpenOffice? I've chugged along with StarOffice for a
    long time now -- the templates I have work just fine, but the app is
    just no longer stable. I'm not thrilled about paying to get
    OpenOffice, especially since I have a very strong suspicion I won't be
    able to convert my templates, & will have to spend the better part of a
    day recreating all my nicely tailored letterheads, envelope forms, etc.

    are folks satisfied with OO?

  2. Re: OpenOffice?

    On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 20:17:46 -0800, rafe wrote:

    > are people using OpenOffice? I've chugged along with StarOffice for a
    > long time now -- the templates I have work just fine, but the app is
    > just no longer stable. I'm not thrilled about paying to get
    > OpenOffice, especially since I have a very strong suspicion I won't be
    > able to convert my templates, & will have to spend the better part of a
    > day recreating all my nicely tailored letterheads, envelope forms, etc.
    >

    > are folks satisfied with OO?

    I haven't tried that many templates, but the file conversion facilities
    alone are worth the effort. Complex Word docs come through like a champ as
    do StarOffice documents. Every spreadsheet template (and I have some
    complex ones for both Excel and SO) has run like native.

    --
    Will Honea

  3. Re: OpenOffice?

    On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 05:55:57 UTC, Will Honea wrote:

    > On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 20:17:46 -0800, rafe wrote:
    >
    > > are folks satisfied with OO?

    > I haven't tried that many templates, but the file conversion facilities
    > alone are worth the effort. Complex Word docs come through like a champ as
    > do StarOffice documents. Every spreadsheet template (and I have some
    > complex ones for both Excel and SO) has run like native.

    Yes, I am reasonably happy, too, although it's still a bit slow.
    --
    Greetings, | My From: address is valid as is the version without "spam"
    Peter. | I try to find real messages among the spam once a week

  4. Re: OpenOffice?

    Will and Peter,

    Which version of OpenOffice do you have?

    I have v2.0, and it crashed so much that I gave up on it.

    On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 12:04:48 UTC, "Peter Weilbacher"
    wrote:

    > On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 05:55:57 UTC, Will Honea wrote:
    >
    > > On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 20:17:46 -0800, rafe wrote:
    > >
    > > > are folks satisfied with OO?

    > > I haven't tried that many templates, but the file conversion facilities
    > > alone are worth the effort. Complex Word docs come through like a champ as
    > > do StarOffice documents. Every spreadsheet template (and I have some
    > > complex ones for both Excel and SO) has run like native.

    > Yes, I am reasonably happy, too, although it's still a bit slow.

    --
    Fred Blau
    (Change "NOSPAM@" to "systematics@" in my e-mail address)

  5. Re: OpenOffice?

    On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 13:16:07 UTC, "Fred Blau" wrote:

    > Which version of OpenOffice do you have?
    >
    > I have v2.0, and it crashed so much that I gave up on it.

    I was referring to 2.0.4b2. Yes, the first beta was crashing a lot more.
    --
    Greetings, | My From: address is valid as is the version without "spam"
    Peter. | I try to find real messages among the spam once a week

  6. Re: OpenOffice?

    Hi rafe

    rafe wrote:
    > are people using OpenOffice? I've chugged along with StarOffice for a
    > long time now -- the templates I have work just fine, but the app is
    > just no longer stable. I'm not thrilled about paying to get
    > OpenOffice,

    Err...

    OO115 for Windows is my current "Office" package and works quite well.
    It is a free download so does not cost anything.

    Of course, being a windows app you would need to run it through an
    "Odin" type environment.

    I did not have any luck when I tried installing OO115 using Odin so
    resorted to an alternative - Acrobat Reader V5 (and the Innotek Runtime)
    provides such an alternative "Odin" so you would need to have these
    installed.

    Just create a Program Object from ar5os2.exe on the Desktop, call it
    "Drop win32 app here" so you know what to do with it and then
    drag'n'drop the unzipped OO115 setup.exe file onto it.

    Install OO115.

    especially since I have a very strong suspicion I won't be
    > able to convert my templates, & will have to spend the better part of a
    > day recreating all my nicely tailored letterheads, envelope forms, etc.

    Both OO115 and OO2 native beta seem capable of opening StarOffice files
    without any problems and I think that most templates should be OK.

    An easy, inexpensive way to check is to follow the above OO115 install
    and see :-)

    > are folks satisfied with OO?

    Well, I am only a "casual office package user" and have not had any
    problems with OO115 for windows.

    Having got involved with beta testing OO2 for eCS I am planning on
    purchasing the "native" OO2 when it gets to GA so I guess the answer is Yes.

    Regards

    Pete

  7. Re: OpenOffice?

    On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 14:33:47 UTC, "Peter Weilbacher"
    wrote:

    -> On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 13:16:07 UTC, "Fred Blau" wrote:
    ->
    -> > Which version of OpenOffice do you have?
    -> >
    -> > I have v2.0, and it crashed so much that I gave up on it.
    ->
    -> I was referring to 2.0.4b2. Yes, the first beta was crashing a lot more.

    I find the B2 to be pretty stable, but I mostly just use it for
    Wordprocessing. I miss lite, fast apps like Describe and Mesa2, but
    OO.org is universally supported and continues being developed. its
    great for viewing crap.doc stuff people insist on sending me. I still
    use Mesa2 for my spreadsheets since its just so damn good and no one
    ever sends me any new excel files (I'm not sure if the latest version
    is any different) to have to worry about and Mesa2 writes an older
    version of excel on the rare occassion I need to send something.

    Mark

    --
    From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

    http://www.os2voice.org
    Warpstock 2006, Windsor, Ontario, Canada, Oct 12-15, 2006 -
    http://www.warpstock.org

  8. Re: OpenOffice?

    rafe wrote:
    > are people using OpenOffice? ...
    >
    > are folks satisfied with OO?

    Rafe,
    I'm using Open Office 1.1.5 with ECS. It handes Word and Excel files
    OK.

    I'm not satisfied because of font issues.
    Spreadsheets won't print unless I change the font to Helvetica.
    Open Office won't render a Postscript Type 1 font.

  9. Re: OpenOffice?

    On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 04:17:46 UTC, "rafe"
    wrote:

    > are people using OpenOffice?

    Yes.

    I've chugged along with StarOffice for a
    > long time now -- the templates I have work just fine, but the app is
    > just no longer stable. I'm not thrilled about paying to get
    > OpenOffice, especially since I have a very strong suspicion I won't be
    > able to convert my templates, & will have to spend the better part of a
    > day recreating all my nicely tailored letterheads, envelope forms, etc.
    >

    > are folks satisfied with OO?

    Yes, as I do write my letters, bills and so on. Sometimes I import and
    export easy MS Excel sheets, documents and others to get them printed.
    I use it to convert StarOffice documents to OOo and/or PostScript. I
    have converted my StarOffice templates simple and easy to OpenOffice
    templates years ago and more satisfied with OOo than I was with
    StarOffice.

    --
    Tschau/Bye
    Herbert