PolarBar Mailer can't retrieve mail - OS2

This is a discussion on PolarBar Mailer can't retrieve mail - OS2 ; I am using PBM v1.25a (since it was released). At some point yesterday, PBM stopped retrieving mail from the server. Clicking on the Retrieve button (or CTRL-G) does nothing -- does not write anything into the status line at the ...

  1. PolarBar Mailer can't retrieve mail

    I am using PBM v1.25a (since it was released). At some point yesterday, PBM
    stopped retrieving mail from the server. Clicking on the Retrieve button (or
    CTRL-G) does nothing -- does not write anything into the status line at the
    bottom, nor even erase anything already displayed there. But once it is
    clicked, the File menu shows "Stop retrieving" item is NOT greyed out; i.e.
    the Retrieve operation does not time out. The program CAN, however, Preview
    mail as it should..

    PMMail/2 works normally, so there doesn't seem to be a problem with the
    server.

    I can send mail normally with PBM.

    In the hope that the JAR file had become corrupted, I replaced it with a
    fresh copy, but this changed nothing.

    Here is the Java Console log:

    2007-01-05 19:56:14.753 Error: at innoval.mailer.Filter.(Unknown
    Source)
    2007-01-05 19:56:14.753 Error: at
    innoval.mailer.Filter.readFilters(Unknown Source)
    2007-01-05 19:56:14.753 Error: at
    innoval.mailer.FilterExecute.(Unknown Source)
    2007-01-05 19:56:14.753 Error: at
    org.polarbar.comm.IncomingMail.getMail(Unknown Source)
    2007-01-05 19:56:14.753 Error: at
    innoval.mailer.jstreet.retrieveInboundMail(Unknown Source)
    2007-01-05 19:56:14.753 Error: at
    innoval.mailer.jstreet.getNewMessages(Unknown Source)
    2007-01-05 19:56:14.753 Error: at
    innoval.mailer.jstreet.getNewMessages(Unknown Source)
    2007-01-05 19:56:14.753 Error: at
    org.jstreet.gui.AppMenu.doRunMenuPick(Unknown Source)
    2007-01-05 19:56:14.753 Error: at org.jstreet.gui.AppMenu$1.run(Unknown
    Source)

    If someone can interpret this to help point to a way to troubleshoot, I'd be
    happy to know.

    --
    Stan Goodman

  2. Re: PolarBar Mailer can't retrieve mail

    On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 18:50:23 +0000, Stan Goodman wrote:

    > I am using PBM v1.25a (since it was released). At some point yesterday, PBM
    > stopped retrieving mail from the server. Clicking on the Retrieve button (or
    > CTRL-G) does nothing -- does not write anything into the status line at the
    > bottom, nor even erase anything already displayed there. But once it is
    > clicked, the File menu shows "Stop retrieving" item is NOT greyed out; i.e.
    > the Retrieve operation does not time out. The program CAN, however, Preview
    > mail as it should..
    >
    > PMMail/2 works normally, so there doesn't seem to be a problem with the
    > server.
    >
    > I can send mail normally with PBM.
    >
    > In the hope that the JAR file had become corrupted, I replaced it with a
    > fresh copy, but this changed nothing.
    >
    > Here is the Java Console log:
    >
    > 2007-01-05 19:56:14.753 Error: at innoval.mailer.Filter.(Unknown
    > Source)
    > 2007-01-05 19:56:14.753 Error: at
    > innoval.mailer.Filter.readFilters(Unknown Source)
    > 2007-01-05 19:56:14.753 Error: at
    > innoval.mailer.FilterExecute.(Unknown Source)
    > 2007-01-05 19:56:14.753 Error: at
    > org.polarbar.comm.IncomingMail.getMail(Unknown Source)
    > 2007-01-05 19:56:14.753 Error: at
    > innoval.mailer.jstreet.retrieveInboundMail(Unknown Source)
    > 2007-01-05 19:56:14.753 Error: at
    > innoval.mailer.jstreet.getNewMessages(Unknown Source)
    > 2007-01-05 19:56:14.753 Error: at
    > innoval.mailer.jstreet.getNewMessages(Unknown Source)
    > 2007-01-05 19:56:14.753 Error: at
    > org.jstreet.gui.AppMenu.doRunMenuPick(Unknown Source)
    > 2007-01-05 19:56:14.753 Error: at org.jstreet.gui.AppMenu$1.run(Unknown
    > Source)
    >
    > If someone can interpret this to help point to a way to troubleshoot, I'd be
    > happy to know.

    Stan, try accessing the account with the Preview function. I've had a
    couple of cases where some screwball message would come in and cause the
    system to drop dead trying to recover it. If you get in with the Preview,
    try and download the SECOND message (or anything down the list from the
    first one). If that works, use the Preview window to delete the first
    message in the list. That has always worked for me. Never have figured
    out just what the problem with the message was and figure I don't need to
    read it anyway.

    --
    Will Honea

  3. Re: PolarBar Mailer can't retrieve mail

    On Sat, 6 Jan 2007 18:50:23 UTC, "Stan Goodman"
    wrote:

    > I am using PBM v1.25a (since it was released).

    Sorry I can't help with your problem, but I was also one of the early
    users of PBM (and before that of Post Street Mailer) and I was
    wondering if there have been any updates to this software recently?

    --
    Luc Van Bogaert
    http://www.os2world.com/os2ecs

  4. Re: PolarBar Mailer can't retrieve mail

    On Sun, 7 Jan 2007 09:37:02 UTC, "Luc Van Bogaert"
    opined:
    > On Sat, 6 Jan 2007 18:50:23 UTC, "Stan Goodman"
    > wrote:
    >
    > > I am using PBM v1.25a (since it was released).

    > Sorry I can't help with your problem, but I was also one of the early
    > users of PBM (and before that of Post Street Mailer) and I was
    > wondering if there have been any updates to this software recently?

    Several. I am not the one to ask about the details, because in my opinion
    they add very little to v1.25a and are in some respects steps backward; that
    is one man's opinion, and I know that others are happy with them. The most
    recent do fix the only 1.25a bug that really bothers me, which is that it
    interprets Cc addresses as To. The version numbers now run up to 1.25e, and
    there is a daily (the term "daily" has to be taken with a grain of salt).

  5. Re: PolarBar Mailer can't retrieve mail

    On Sat, 6 Jan 2007 21:44:31 UTC, Will Honea opined:

    > Stan, try accessing the account with the Preview function. I've had a
    > couple of cases where some screwball message would come in and cause the
    > system to drop dead trying to recover it. If you get in with the Preview,
    > try and download the SECOND message (or anything down the list from the
    > first one). If that works, use the Preview window to delete the first
    > message in the list. That has always worked for me. Never have figured
    > out just what the problem with the message was and figure I don't need to
    > read it anyway.

    Accessing the account with the Preview function was no problem at all, as I
    said. But even from Preview, it was impossible to retrieve messages.

    I had also put the problem on the Polarbar support forum, and this morning
    received from it a note from a user that spotted the (obvious, in
    retrospect) hint that the problem lay in the filters. And I had recently
    added a perfectly ordinary filter that had functioned correctly, catching
    messages that it was designed to catch -- by finding a short string in any
    header. I found that it was impossible to open the Filters window to delete
    or disable the recently added filter, but the problem vanished when I
    deleted filters.dat.

+ Reply to Thread