Incorrect article count in Pronews/2 v1.58 cp116 - OS2

This is a discussion on Incorrect article count in Pronews/2 v1.58 cp116 - OS2 ; This problem has recurred several times over the past few years. Typically, one group (always at or near the bottom of the subscribed-groups list in the Control Panel) shows that it contains more articles than the maximum number defined on ...

  1. Incorrect article count in Pronews/2 v1.58 cp116

    This problem has recurred several times over the past few years. Typically,
    one group (always at or near the bottom of the subscribed-groups list in the
    Control Panel) shows that it contains more articles than the maximum number
    defined on the Purging page of the settings notebook.

    All the groups to which I subscribe are to purge when they contain more than
    100 articles; that is the default set in the main Settings notebook. For
    about two weeks, a group near the bottom has been telling me that it has 101
    articles, none unread. I have counted the articles, and there are indeed
    101. This is another example of the usual error I am accustomed to seeing.

    The following is a variation on the theme. Yesterday another group, one up
    from the bottom, says it on the Control Panel that it has 100 articles, and
    four of them are unread. Opening the group's window and counting the
    articles shown in it, I find that there are only 96 articles, and not a
    single one is unread. I unsubscribed from this group and resubscribed,
    hoping to remove the discrepancy, and found that the Control Panel still
    thinks there are 100 articles, four unread, while the group's window
    contains only 96 articles, none unread.

    For the record: there are no filters in the newsreader that hide articles.

    Can't believe anything anymore.

  2. Re: Incorrect article count in Pronews/2 v1.58 cp116

    On Mon, 1 Jan 2007 16:06:32 UTC in comp.os.os2.apps, "Stan Goodman"
    wrote:

    > This problem has recurred several times over the past few years. Typically,
    > one group (always at or near the bottom of the subscribed-groups list in the
    > Control Panel) shows that it contains more articles than the maximum number
    > defined on the Purging page of the settings notebook.

    I don't think the position of the group in the control panel will influence this
    problem, I suspect it's coincidence more than anything.

    > All the groups to which I subscribe are to purge when they contain more than
    > 100 articles; that is the default set in the main Settings notebook. For
    > about two weeks, a group near the bottom has been telling me that it has 101
    > articles, none unread. I have counted the articles, and there are indeed
    > 101. This is another example of the usual error I am accustomed to seeing.

    This sounds like something different. Not something I've ever seen because I use
    age based purging if anything, not number of articles.

    > The following is a variation on the theme. Yesterday another group, one up
    > from the bottom, says it on the Control Panel that it has 100 articles, and
    > four of them are unread. Opening the group's window and counting the
    > articles shown in it, I find that there are only 96 articles, and not a
    > single one is unread. I unsubscribed from this group and resubscribed,
    > hoping to remove the discrepancy, and found that the Control Panel still
    > thinks there are 100 articles, four unread, while the group's window
    > contains only 96 articles, none unread.

    This one I have seen and sounds like something weird is going on with the
    article tree building. If you turn off threading (Dont' thread headers on page 1
    of the group settings) then I suspect that your 4 missing articles will show up
    and can be marked read. If there's anything odd about them that stands out if
    this displays them then let me know what. If it doesn't work or you want me to
    look further at it at some point then zip up the group files for that group and
    send them to me. The 'showhead' command will tell you the filename stem of the
    files for that group - e.g. showhead comp.os.os2.apps here shows it uses
    .\HEADERS\5c034302.IDX and there are 3 similarly named files in .\articles that
    make up the entire group, all 5c034302.*. If turning off threading doesn't show
    the missing ones then maybe you can work out which ones they are by running
    `showhead /all comp.os.os2.apps` and piping the output to a file then trawling
    through the whole thing working out which ones are in that list that aren't in
    the article window.

    I'm not guaranteeing to fix it since I have very little spare time these days.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  3. Re: Incorrect article count in Pronews/2 v1.58 cp116

    On Fri, 5 Jan 2007 00:03:41 UTC, "Trevor Hemsley"
    opined:
    > On Mon, 1 Jan 2007 16:06:32 UTC in comp.os.os2.apps, "Stan Goodman"
    > wrote:
    >
    > > This problem has recurred several times over the past few years. Typically,
    > > one group (always at or near the bottom of the subscribed-groups list in the
    > > Control Panel) shows that it contains more articles than the maximum number
    > > defined on the Purging page of the settings notebook.

    > I don't think the position of the group in the control panel will influence this
    > problem, I suspect it's coincidence more than anything.

    I suppose do. I had to report everything I saw.

    > > All the groups to which I subscribe are to purge when they contain more than
    > > 100 articles; that is the default set in the main Settings notebook. For
    > > about two weeks, a group near the bottom has been telling me that it has 101
    > > articles, none unread. I have counted the articles, and there are indeed
    > > 101. This is another example of the usual error I am accustomed to seeing.

    > This sounds like something different. Not something I've ever seen because I use
    > age based purging if anything, not number of articles.

    I do both; 30 days or 100 articles. That may be like suspenders and a belt.
    I'll rethink it.

    > > The following is a variation on the theme. Yesterday another group, one up
    > > from the bottom, says it on the Control Panel that it has 100 articles, and
    > > four of them are unread. Opening the group's window and counting the
    > > articles shown in it, I find that there are only 96 articles, and not a
    > > single one is unread. I unsubscribed from this group and resubscribed,
    > > hoping to remove the discrepancy, and found that the Control Panel still
    > > thinks there are 100 articles, four unread, while the group's window
    > > contains only 96 articles, none unread.

    > This one I have seen and sounds like something weird is going on with the
    > article tree building. If you turn off threading (Dont' thread headers on page 1
    > of the group settings) then I suspect that your 4 missing articles will show up
    > and can be marked read. If there's anything odd about them that stands out if
    > this displays them then let me know what. If it doesn't work or you want me to
    > look further at it at some point then zip up the group files for that group and
    > send them to me. The 'showhead' command will tell you the filename stem of the
    > files for that group - e.g. showhead comp.os.os2.apps here shows it uses
    > .\HEADERS\5c034302.IDX and there are 3 similarly named files in .\articles that
    > make up the entire group, all 5c034302.*. If turning off threading doesn't show
    > the missing ones then maybe you can work out which ones they are by running
    > `showhead /all comp.os.os2.apps` and piping the output to a file then trawling
    > through the whole thing working out which ones are in that list that aren't in
    > the article window.

    This one seems this morning to have solved itself; the phantom-four must
    have been purged. They must have been defective in some way, since the error
    survived unsubscribing from the group and resubscribing. But I'll know what
    to do if and when it shows up again.

    > I'm not guaranteeing to fix it since I have very little spare time these days.

    Who has?

    Thanks...

+ Reply to Thread