How to boot OS/2 4.52 (to a command prompt) from an USB flash drive? - OS2

This is a discussion on How to boot OS/2 4.52 (to a command prompt) from an USB flash drive? - OS2 ; Hi all, I'm experimenting with booting my PC from an USB flash drive. My system's BIOS supports it, and I successfully booted a DOS system from the flash drive. Upon completion of the boot process, the (FAT formatted) flash drive ...

  1. How to boot OS/2 4.52 (to a command prompt) from an USB flash drive?

    Hi all,

    I'm experimenting with booting my PC from an USB flash drive.

    My system's BIOS supports it, and I successfully booted a DOS system
    from the flash drive.

    Upon completion of the boot process, the (FAT formatted) flash drive
    appears as a "big floppy drive" (A: drive with 512MB of disk space!).

    I then had the idea of trying to boot OS/2 from it (to a command prompt
    only), by copying the three OS/2 4.52 boot floppies to the flash drive.

    I did the following steps (after "mounting" the flash drive into OS/2 4.52):

    - "LVMed" and FAT-formatted the flash drive
    - used sysinstx x: to transfer "OS/2 system" to the flash drive
    - copied contents of the 3 boot floppies to the flash drive

    I then rebooted the system, with flash drive installed.

    The boot process started correctly from the flash drive (as it normally
    would from the "DISK 0" diskette), but it stops at the prompt:

    "Insert OS/2 Diskette 1 into Drive A: Then press Enter."

    If I press Enter at that point nothing happens.
    I tried labelling the flash drive "DISK 1", but it's not helping.

    Anyone knows a workaround this problem?

    Could it work by replacing some file(s) (on the flash drive) by
    counterparts from the OS/2 4.52 install CD (which somehow has a "boot
    process" that doesn't require swapping floppies...)?

    Suggestions?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: How to boot OS/2 4.52 (to a command prompt) from an USB flash drive?

    On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 00:34:29 UTC in comp.os.os2.apps, Number One
    wrote:

    > The boot process started correctly from the flash drive (as it normally
    > would from the "DISK 0" diskette), but it stops at the prompt:
    >
    > "Insert OS/2 Diskette 1 into Drive A: Then press Enter."
    >
    > If I press Enter at that point nothing happens.
    > I tried labelling the flash drive "DISK 1", but it's not helping.
    >
    > Anyone knows a workaround this problem?

    If the kernel is called os2krnli then it expects to be booted from a floppy and
    wants to prompt for a change of disk. If it's called os2krnl then it thinks it's
    booting from a hard disk and will not prompt.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  3. Re: How to boot OS/2 4.52 (to a command prompt) from an USB flash drive?

    Number One wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm experimenting with booting my PC from an USB flash drive.
    >
    > My system's BIOS supports it, and I successfully booted a DOS system
    > from the flash drive.
    >
    > Upon completion of the boot process, the (FAT formatted) flash drive
    > appears as a "big floppy drive" (A: drive with 512MB of disk space!).

    I am trying to do this on my new mother board, without success.
    How do you do it?

    TIA

    K. Melland
    Norway

  4. Re: How to boot OS/2 4.52 (to a command prompt) from an USB flashdrive?

    I'm using an Intel D865PERL MB, which is over 3 years old.

    I did following setup changes to boot from USB flash drive:

    Advanced -> USB Configuration -> Legacy USB Support -> Enabled
    Boot -> USB Boot -> Enabled

    PS: to transfer DOS system to flash drive, I found a free utility from
    HP. Search for "HP Drive Key Boot Utility". It works with many brands of
    flash drives.

    Latest link:
    http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/fi...oad/23839.html

    K. Melland wrote:
    > Number One wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I'm experimenting with booting my PC from an USB flash drive.
    >>
    >> My system's BIOS supports it, and I successfully booted a DOS system
    >> from the flash drive.
    >>
    >> Upon completion of the boot process, the (FAT formatted) flash drive
    >> appears as a "big floppy drive" (A: drive with 512MB of disk space!).
    >>

    > I am trying to do this on my new mother board, without success.
    > How do you do it?
    >
    > TIA
    >

    > K. Melland
    > Norway

  5. Re: How to boot OS/2 4.52 (to a command prompt) from an USB flashdrive?

    Trevor,

    Thanks for interesting info about OS2KRNLI file.

    I renamed it to OS2KRNL and tried booting again from flash drive.

    The boot process starts, without prompting to insert floppies, and it
    ends with:

    "OS/2 is unable to operate your hard disk or diskette drive..."

    I also entered recovery menu (at beginning of boot process) and selected
    "boot to command prompt" (which is what I want to do), but it ends the
    same way.

    So that's still a NO-GO!

    Trevor Hemsley wrote:
    > On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 00:34:29 UTC in comp.os.os2.apps, Number One
    > wrote:
    >
    >> The boot process started correctly from the flash drive (as it normally
    >> would from the "DISK 0" diskette), but it stops at the prompt:
    >>
    >> "Insert OS/2 Diskette 1 into Drive A: Then press Enter."
    >>
    >> If I press Enter at that point nothing happens.
    >> I tried labelling the flash drive "DISK 1", but it's not helping.
    >>
    >> Anyone knows a workaround this problem?

    > If the kernel is called os2krnli then it expects to be booted from a floppy and
    > wants to prompt for a change of disk. If it's called os2krnl then it thinks it's
    > booting from a hard disk and will not prompt.

  6. Re: How to boot OS/2 4.52 (to a command prompt) from an USB flash drive?

    In <4593d07c$0$20386$88260bb3@news.teranews.com>, on 12/28/2006
    at 09:19 AM, Number One said:

    Hi,

    >The boot process starts, without prompting to insert floppies, and it
    >ends with:

    >"OS/2 is unable to operate your hard disk or diskette drive..."

    FWIW, several have tried what you are attempting, and TTBOMK, no one has
    yet succeeded.

    Part of the final solution will be using the /I13 usbd.sys parameter. See
    the USB Basic readme.

    Another part will likely be forcing the flash drive to be treated as not
    removable.

    Regards,

    Steven

    Steven Levine MR2/ICE 2.67 #10183
    Warp/eCS/DIY/14.103a_W4 www.scoug.com irc.fyrelizard.com #scoug (Wed 7pm PST)

  7. Re: How to boot OS/2 4.52 (to a command prompt) from an USB flash drive?

    There may be an option within the BIOS that says "Allow External Boot" or
    words to that effect. This option needs to be enabled.

    > I am trying to do this on my new mother board, without success.
    > How do you do it?
    >
    > TIA
    >

    > K. Melland
    > Norway

  8. Re: How to boot OS/2 4.52 (to a command prompt) from an USB flash drive?

    Number One wrote:

    > PS: to transfer DOS system to flash drive, I found a free utility from
    > HP. Search for "HP Drive Key Boot Utility". It works with many brands of
    > flash drives.
    >
    > Latest link:
    > http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/fi...oad/23839.html

    Hi #1

    Thanks!
    This worked, but when booting from the stick (slow), some kind of Linux
    is running.
    I am too old to get it and go further. The idea was to flash BIOS from
    the stick.

    Is there just something simple that evades me?

    K. Melland
    Norway

  9. Re: How to boot OS/2 4.52 (to a command prompt) from an USB flashdrive?

    Hello "K",

    I checked again and it turns out I didn't post the correct link to the
    HP program that I used:

    http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/fi...oad/20306.html

    (Windows-based Format Utility for HP Drive Key or DiskOnKey USB Device
    version 2.00.006 A (6 Feb 04))

    It's a 2MB utility that will format the USB flash drive, and transfer
    system files from a bootable floppy that you supply.

    K. Melland wrote:
    > Number One wrote:
    >> PS: to transfer DOS system to flash drive, I found a free utility from
    >> HP. Search for "HP Drive Key Boot Utility". It works with many brands of
    >> flash drives.
    >>
    >> Latest link:
    >> http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/fi...oad/23839.html
    >>

    > Hi #1
    >
    > Thanks!
    > This worked, but when booting from the stick (slow), some kind of Linux
    > is running.
    > I am too old to get it and go further. The idea was to flash BIOS from
    > the stick.
    >
    > Is there just something simple that evades me?
    >
    > K. Melland
    > Norway

  10. Re: How to boot OS/2 4.52 (to a command prompt) from an USB flash drive?

    Number One wrote:
    > Hello "K",
    >
    > I checked again and it turns out I didn't post the correct link to the
    > HP program that I used:
    >
    > http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/fi...oad/20306.html
    >
    > (Windows-based Format Utility for HP Drive Key or DiskOnKey USB Device
    > version 2.00.006 A (6 Feb 04))
    >
    > It's a 2MB utility that will format the USB flash drive, and transfer
    > system files from a bootable floppy that you supply.

    OK, Thank you Number One!

    'twas the floppy that really evadet me. I think I have a drive in some
    box. Then is it good enough to right click on A: in XP and hopefully
    just tick FAT and 'system' or similar in the format box?

    Thanks again!

    Kolbjorn

  11. Re: How to boot OS/2 4.52 (to a command prompt) from an USB flashdrive?

    Number One schrieb:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm experimenting with booting my PC from an USB flash drive.

    Hallo,

    Mike Luther reported success by booting a system from external USB
    drive in Thread

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....a7689a89649d5d

    I have done quite an extensive research and testing on the problem.

    I have not been able up till now to reproduce the booting the way Mike
    do it.

    I have not recreated exactly the test case.

    I have reproduced the booting from USB floppy and learned a lot about
    the procedure.

    What is special at Mikes successful configuration?

    1. It is a single system on C: without the use of the boot manager

    2. The PRM media is created by cloning the internal drive to the USB HDD

    3. There is no boot manager on any on the HDD s on the system

    The problem is to pass the boot drive letter during the boot process
    from the Partitioned Removable Media.

    Boot Manager does not support PRM.

    How to supply a boot drive letter by booting from PRM.

    Well, Danidasd.dmd does have an option for the boot drive.

    There are some restrictions of danidasd:

    1. Danidasd does not support the LVM info on the HDD.

    2. The drive letter for the PRM is assigned by the "old" drive letter
    assignment method:

    first assign a drive letter to all the "fixed" partitions (drives)
    and than to the "removable" partitions (drive)

    the drive letter assigned to the PRM drive is depended form the
    layout of the HDD of the
    system to boot

    The following system / config.sys on CF Card boots from USB card
    reader on my T23 system

    It is on a FAT file system to keep it simple :-)

    ================================================== ===========================
    rem
    rem config.sys without drive letter C: in statements with some
    execptions !!

    EARLYMEMINIT=TRUE
    PRIORITY_DISK_IO=NO

    pauseonerror=YES

    rem SET SAVECONNECT=1
    rem SET COPYFROMFLOPPY=1

    LIBPATH=.;\OS2\DLL;
    SET PATH=\OS2;
    SET DPATH=\OS2;
    SET LANG=de_DE
    SET ULSPATH=\language
    DEVICE=\OS2\unicode.sys

    rem IFS=C:\OS2\cdfs.ifs /Q /W
    rem IFS=\OS2\hpfs.ifs /CACHE:1024 /AUTOCHECK:*
    rem IFS=C:\OS2\udf.ifs /V

    BASEDEV=ibmkbd.sys
    BASEDEV=chkdsk.sys

    rem ==========USB

    BASEDEV=USBD.SYS /V /I13

    BASEDEV=usbuhcd.sys
    BASEDEV=usbuhcd.sys
    BASEDEV=usbuhcd.sys

    BASEDEV=usbhid.sys

    BASEDEV=usbmsd.add /V

    rem ==== usb ende

    rem BASEDEV=ibm1flpy.add /A:0 /FORCE:2 /U:0 /F:1.44MB /U:1 /F:1.44MB

    basedev=ibm1s506.add /W
    basedev=ibmatapi.flt
    basedev=IBMIDECD.FLT

    rem str basedev=ibmatapi.flt /A:1 /U:0 /TYPES:CLZ /V

    rem str BASEDEV=danis506.add /W
    rem str BASEDEV=danis506.add /VLL /A:1 /BAY
    rem str BASEDEV=daniatap.flt /V /A:1 /U:0 /TYPE:W

    rem BASEDEV=os2dasd.dmd
    rem BASEDEV=os2lvm.dmd

    BASEDEV=DANIDASD.DMD /BD:F /MT:Ae,Ah,Ao

    rem str COUNTRY=049,C:\OS2\country.sys

    COUNTRY=049,\OS2\country.sys
    CODEPAGE=850
    DEVINFO=KBD,GR,\OS2\keyboard.dcp
    DEVINFO=SCR,VGA,\OS2\viotbl.dcp

    rem DEVICE=C:\OS2\os2cdrom.dmd
    rem BASEDEV=os2aspi.dmd /ALL

    DEVICE=\OS2\testcfg.sys
    DEVICE=\OS2\dos.sys
    DEVICE=\OS2\pointdd.sys
    DEVICE=\OS2\mouse.sys

    rem str DEVICE=C:\OS2\com.sys

    rem BASEDEV=print01.sys /IRQ
    rem PRINTMONBUFSIZE=134,134,134

    rem str DEVICE=C:\OS2\apm.sys
    rem str RUN=C:\OS2\apmdaemn.exe

    SET TEMP=\Temp
    SET TMP=\Temp

    SUPPRESSPOPUPS=C
    MEMMAN=SWAP,PROTECT
    SWAPPATH=f:\OS2\ 512
    IOPL=YES
    PROTECTONLY=NO
    AUTOFAIL=YES
    THREADS=1024
    DISKCACHE=D,LW,AC:+F
    MAXWAIT=1
    SET VIDEO_DEVICES=VIO_VGA
    SET VIO_VGA=DEVICE(BVHVGA)
    SET TZ=CET-1CES,3,-1,0,7200,10,-1,0,10800,3600
    SET PROMPT=$i[$p]
    SET KEYS=ON
    PROTSHELL=\OS2\cmd.exe
    SET OS2_SHELL=\OS2\cmd.exe
    SET COMSPEC=\OS2\cmd.exe

    ========= end config.sys for booting from usb PRM to the command prompt

    Currently I am testing to boot from PRM / USB disk with support of
    AIRBOOT Version 1.5
    on the PRM.

    By booting from the PRM via USB the AIRBOOT menu comes up and offer the
    system on the PRM to boot.

    The version with the DANIDASD boot to the command prompt!!!!

    Versions with:

    BASEDEV=os2dasd.dmd
    BASEDEV=os2lvm.dmd

    and boot drive letter assignment by airboot are currently tested.

    No succes to report - jet :-)

    ===> *"OS/2 is unable to operate your hard disk or diskette drive"*

    Based on the danidasd we have a prove of concept for the booting form
    USB PRM.

    kind regards

    Rainer

+ Reply to Thread