CDR/2 Create Data DVD - OS2

This is a discussion on CDR/2 Create Data DVD - OS2 ; When I try to do a large DVD recording session I get an error: There was an error while querying the image size. Check the '-graft-points' option of mkisofs. So what about it do you check? It says to look ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

  1. CDR/2 Create Data DVD

    When I try to do a large DVD recording session I get an error:

    There was an error while querying the image
    size. Check the '-graft-points' option of mkisofs.

    So what about it do you check? It says to look in the helps. The helps
    mention -graft-points but says nothing at all about what might need
    checking.

    Jim L via the eCS 1.2r version of OS/2

    --
    War strategy: Work to free a bunch of fools who want to kill each other off.

  2. Re: CDR/2 Create Data DVD

    unclepeteDEL@ETEisp.com wrote:
    > When I try to do a large DVD recording session I get an error:
    >
    > There was an error while querying the image
    > size. Check the '-graft-points' option of mkisofs.
    >
    > So what about it do you check? It says to look in the helps. The helps
    > mention -graft-points but says nothing at all about what might need
    > checking.

    If you are refering to the latest CDRtools, v. cdrtools2-2.01.01a04, I
    suggest you try reading the Readme.1st file. "DVD support code has been
    dropped. Use dvddao for dvd writing." RTFM!!

    Ted

  3. Re: CDR/2 Create Data DVD

    Ted Edwards said:

    >unclepeteDEL@ETEisp.com wrote:
    >> When I try to do a large DVD recording session I get an error:
    >>
    >> There was an error while querying the image
    >> size. Check the '-graft-points' option of mkisofs.
    >>
    >> So what about it do you check? It says to look in the helps. The helps
    >> mention -graft-points but says nothing at all about what might need
    >> checking.

    >If you are refering to the latest CDRtools, v. cdrtools2-2.01.01a04, I
    >suggest you try reading the Readme.1st file. "DVD support code has been
    > dropped. Use dvddao for dvd writing." RTFM!!

    >Ted

    No I am not using CDRtools, v. cdrtools2-2.01.01a04.

    Small recordings work fine. UY!!

    Jim L via the eCS 1.2r version of OS/2

    --
    War strategy: Work to free a bunch of fools who want to kill each other off.

  4. Re: CDR/2 Create Data DVD

    On Sun, 3 Dec 2006 16:52:23 UTC in comp.os.os2.apps, unclepeteDEL@ETEisp.com
    wrote:

    > When I try to do a large DVD recording session I get an error:

    Does it need a JFS volume for a temporary > 2GB file?

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  5. Re: CDR/2 Create Data DVD

    unclepeteDEL@ETEisp.com wrote:
    > Small recordings work fine. UY!!

    So fix it yourself.

  6. Re: CDR/2 Create Data DVD

    Here in comp.os.os2.apps,
    Ted Edwards spake unto us, saying:

    >unclepeteDEL@ETEisp.com wrote:
    >
    >> Small recordings work fine. UY!!

    >So fix it yourself.

    It's usually easier for someone already familiar with the code to find
    and correct a problem. :-)

    The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

  7. Re: CDR/2 Create Data DVD

    "Trevor Hemsley" said:

    >On Sun, 3 Dec 2006 16:52:23 UTC in comp.os.os2.apps,
    >unclepeteDEL@ETEisp.com wrote:

    >> When I try to do a large DVD recording session I get an error:

    >Does it need a JFS volume for a temporary > 2GB file?

    I hope that was a suggestion and not a question. I know nothing about
    JFS.

    The UDF method seems to be as good as anything, altho my first backup
    was odd. It appeared to work. I zipped several partitions onto the DVD
    and was able to recover them. A couple days later nothing on my system
    could even see the DVD - WPS Drives or 3 different file managers. Go
    figure. WPS Drives errorred out (failed to even display a drive folder
    when I clicked on the object) complaining that the files were read only.
    I never heard of such an error before. The current back-up seems to
    have stuck.

    Jim L via the eCS 1.2r version of OS/2

    --
    War strategy: Work to free a bunch of fools who want to kill each other off.

  8. Re: CDR/2 Create Data DVD

    On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 17:10:31 UTC in comp.os.os2.apps, unclepeteDEL@ETEisp.com
    wrote:

    > "Trevor Hemsley" said:
    >
    > >On Sun, 3 Dec 2006 16:52:23 UTC in comp.os.os2.apps,
    > >unclepeteDEL@ETEisp.com wrote:

    > >> When I try to do a large DVD recording session I get an error:

    > >Does it need a JFS volume for a temporary > 2GB file?

    > I hope that was a suggestion and not a question. I know nothing about
    > JFS.

    It was a question but it's only applicable if you're creating an ISO image of
    the DVD in preparation for burning it. If you create an ISO image of a DVD
    that's larger than 2GB then you have to create it on a JFS formatted partition
    as that's the only file system for OS/2 that supports files greater than 2GB in
    size (excluding UDF which also does but there's not much point in creating an
    ISO image on a UDF formatted DVD because then you'd need another DVD writer to
    write the image onto!).

    > The UDF method seems to be as good as anything, altho my first backup
    > was odd. It appeared to work. I zipped several partitions onto the DVD
    > and was able to recover them. A couple days later nothing on my system
    > could even see the DVD - WPS Drives or 3 different file managers. Go
    > figure. WPS Drives errorred out (failed to even display a drive folder
    > when I clicked on the object) complaining that the files were read only.
    > I never heard of such an error before. The current back-up seems to
    > have stuck.

    Did you unlock the drive after completing the write? OS/2's UDF is not very good
    at flushing buffers (in fact it appears never to do so unless explicitly told to
    do so by running 'unlock x:' against the drive in question from a command
    prompt). In my experience it doesn't even do the equivalent of unlock x: even if
    you shutdown and reboot properly let alone crash the system.

    I think it's good practice to issue an 'unlock x:' command *immediately* after
    you finish writing to a UDF formatted disk or you risk losing not only what you
    just wrote to it but also anything else that was already on the disk before the
    current write session started.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  9. Re: CDR/2 Create Data DVD

    "Trevor Hemsley" said:

    >I think it's good practice to issue an 'unlock x:' command
    >*immediately* after you finish writing to a UDF formatted disk or you
    >risk losing not only what you just wrote to it but also anything else
    >that was already on the disk before the current write session started.

    Well, I didn't do it immediately, because that's another thing I never
    heard of. I just now tried it and, as "unlock x:", it failed, but
    "unlock x:\" did _something_!

    Maybe unlock would have worked on the RSJ DVD that got unaccessable
    after I wrote some stuff to it.

    Jim L via the eCS 1.2r version of OS/2

    --
    War strategy: Work to free a bunch of fools who want to kill each other off.

  10. Re: CDR/2 Create Data DVD

    On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 18:48:22 UTC in comp.os.os2.apps, unclepeteDEL@ETEisp.com
    wrote:

    > I just now tried it and, as "unlock x:", it failed, but
    > "unlock x:\" did _something_!

    I presume that you changed X: to the drive letter of your own UDF drive?

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  11. Re: CDR/2 Create Data DVD

    On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 13:48:22 -0500, unclepeteDEL@ETEisp.com wrote:
    >>I think it's good practice to issue an 'unlock x:' command
    >>*immediately* after you finish writing to a UDF formatted disk or you
    >>risk losing not only what you just wrote to it but also anything else
    >>that was already on the disk before the current write session started.

    > Well, I didn't do it immediately, because that's another thing I never
    > heard of. I just now tried it and, as "unlock x:", it failed, but
    > "unlock x:\" did _something_!
    >
    > Maybe unlock would have worked on the RSJ DVD that got unaccessable
    > after I wrote some stuff to it.

    Be careful about what "unlock" command you actually run. Unfortunately
    there are a couple of different UNLOCK.EXE programs, and if you have eCS
    then the one that's probably first on the path is actually not the one
    that you want in this case.

    The correct one is under \OS2 (and may have been renamed to something
    different under eCS, to avoid this problem, but I don't recall exactly).

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

    Remove hat to reply (reply-to address).

  12. Re: CDR/2 Create Data DVD

    "Trevor Hemsley" said:

    >On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 18:48:22 UTC in comp.os.os2.apps,
    >unclepeteDEL@ETEisp.com wrote:

    >> I just now tried it and, as "unlock x:", it failed, but
    >> "unlock x:\" did _something_!

    >I presume that you changed X: to the drive letter of your own UDF
    >drive?

    Yeah, I started to put "unlock s:\," but that would have been
    inconsistent too. LOL

    There was a pause before the cursor came back up, but it didn't tell me
    anything. Without the slash it came back with

    Cannot find such files: s:

    Jim L via the eCS 1.2r version of OS/2

    --
    War strategy: Work to free a bunch of fools who want to kill each other off.

  13. Re: CDR/2 Create Data DVD

    On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 23:22:22 UTC in comp.os.os2.apps, unclepeteDEL@ETEisp.com
    wrote:

    > "Trevor Hemsley" said:
    >
    > >On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 18:48:22 UTC in comp.os.os2.apps,
    > >unclepeteDEL@ETEisp.com wrote:

    > >> I just now tried it and, as "unlock x:", it failed, but
    > >> "unlock x:\" did _something_!

    > >I presume that you changed X: to the drive letter of your own UDF
    > >drive?

    > Yeah, I started to put "unlock s:\," but that would have been
    > inconsistent too. LOL
    >
    > There was a pause before the cursor came back up, but it didn't tell me
    > anything. Without the slash it came back with
    >
    > Cannot find such files: s:

    Sounds like the wrong version of unlock.exe as someone else has posted. The
    'real' thing tells you nothing at all, just pauses and then comes back with the
    length of the pause being proportional to the amount of data left to be flushed
    out to disk. The 'real' thing responds to a bldlevel with something like:

    [H:\]bldlevel \os2\unlock.exe
    Build Level Display Facility Version 6.10.480 Oct 6 2000
    (C) Copyright IBM Corporation 1993-2000
    Signature: @#IBM:14.097#@ - Removable Media Unlock Utility
    Vendor: IBM
    Revision: 14.97
    File Version: 14.97

    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  14. Re: CDR/2 Create Data DVD

    Trevor Hemsley wrote:

    >> Cannot find such files: s:

    > Sounds like the wrong version of unlock.exe as someone else has posted. The
    > 'real' thing tells you nothing at all, just pauses and then comes back with the

    As opposed to the other 'real' thing (non-IBM utility) which looks
    something like this:

    ?[ unLock ]??????????????????????????????[ Version 1.3.3 ]?
    ? Copyright 1996 by FRIENDS software ? No rights reserved ?
    ? Cannot find such files: s:

    The IBM utility says something like this for non-existent and
    non-removable drives (at least it does here):

    Error On Lock rc=xx
    The device does not recognize the command.

    Where xx is 22 for non-existent drives, and is 87 for non-removables.
    It looks like the SYS0022 string is used for both.
    SYS0022: The device does not recognize the command.
    SYS0087: The parameter is incorrect.

  15. Re: CDR/2 Create Data DVD

    Trevor Hemsley wrote:

    > Build Level Display Facility Version 6.10.480 Oct 6 2000

    I forget where I got my (newer) one:

    Build Level Display Facility Version 6.12.675 Sep 25 2001
    (C) Copyright IBM Corporation 1993-2001
    Signature: @#IBM:14.082#@ Build level display facility
    Vendor: IBM
    Revision: 14.82
    File Version: 14.82

  16. Re: CDR/2 Create Data DVD

    Alex Taylor said:

    >Be careful about what "unlock" command you actually run. Unfortunately
    >there are a couple of different UNLOCK.EXE programs, and if you have
    >eCS then the one that's probably first on the path is actually not the
    >one that you want in this case.

    >The correct one is under \OS2 (and may have been renamed to something
    >different under eCS, to avoid this problem, but I don't recall
    >exactly).

    Ah, I had the wrong one.

    [C:\]unlock
    [ unLock ] [ Version 1.3.2 ] Copyright
    1996 by FRIENDS software No rights reserved

    Isn't it odd that the right one apparently has no way to get syntax
    help.

    Jim L via the eCS 1.2r version of OS/2

    --
    War strategy: Work to free a bunch of fools who want to kill each other off.

  17. Re: CDR/2 Create Data DVD

    Hi Trevor

    Trevor Hemsley wrote:
    > On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 17:10:31 UTC in comp.os.os2.apps, unclepeteDEL@ETEisp.com
    > wrote:
    >
    >> "Trevor Hemsley" said:

    >>> Does it need a JFS volume for a temporary > 2GB file?

    >> I hope that was a suggestion and not a question. I know nothing about
    >> JFS.

    > It was a question but it's only applicable if you're creating an ISO image of
    > the DVD in preparation for burning it. If you create an ISO image of a DVD
    > that's larger than 2GB then you have to create it on a JFS formatted partition
    > as that's the only file system for OS/2 that supports files greater than 2GB in
    > size (excluding UDF which also does but there's not much point in creating an
    > ISO image on a UDF formatted DVD because then you'd need another DVD writer to
    > write the image onto!).
    >
    >> The UDF method seems to be as good as anything, altho my first backup
    >> was odd. It appeared to work. I zipped several partitions onto the DVD
    >> and was able to recover them. A couple days later nothing on my system
    >> could even see the DVD - WPS Drives or 3 different file managers. Go
    >> figure. WPS Drives errorred out (failed to even display a drive folder
    >> when I clicked on the object) complaining that the files were read only.
    >> I never heard of such an error before. The current back-up seems to
    >> have stuck.

    > Did you unlock the drive after completing the write? OS/2's UDF is not very good
    > at flushing buffers (in fact it appears never to do so unless explicitly told to
    > do so by running 'unlock x:' against the drive in question from a command
    > prompt). In my experience it doesn't even do the equivalent of unlock x: even if
    > you shutdown and reboot properly let alone crash the system.
    >
    > I think it's good practice to issue an 'unlock x:' command *immediately* after
    > you finish writing to a UDF formatted disk or you risk losing not only what you
    > just wrote to it but also anything else that was already on the disk before the
    > current write session started.

    Something to be aware of is that UDF and DASD updates can cause severe
    problems.

    If you have a disc formatted udf214 and have updated the system to
    udf216 or updated the os2dasd.dmd file it is necessary to copy all data
    from existing disc and reformat the disc with udf216 *Before* writing
    anything to that disc.

    Should the disc be written to using a later udf than the disc was
    formatted with the write is often successful. Problems occur after
    Unlock and Eject, ie when the disc is next Read.

    The WPS will often get confused, a view of the files on the disc will
    change, folders and files will disappear and the system may go off in a
    sulk, possibly after telling you that the disc is unreadable.

    I suspect that could be what Jim reported as happening with his disc.

    Regards

    Pete

  18. Re: CDR/2 Create Data DVD

    Hi Jim

    unclepeteDEL@ETEisp.com wrote:
    > Alex Taylor said:
    >
    >> Be careful about what "unlock" command you actually run. Unfortunately
    >> there are a couple of different UNLOCK.EXE programs, and if you have
    >> eCS then the one that's probably first on the path is actually not the
    >> one that you want in this case.

    >> The correct one is under \OS2 (and may have been renamed to something
    >> different under eCS, to avoid this problem, but I don't recall
    >> exactly).

    > Ah, I had the wrong one.
    >
    > [C:\]unlock
    > [ unLock ] [ Version 1.3.2 ] Copyright
    > 1996 by FRIENDS software No rights reserved
    >
    > Isn't it odd that the right one apparently has no way to get syntax
    > help.

    You may be right - but what do you need? Any operation involving a drive
    letter usually requires drive letter and colon. There is a little info
    about using unlock in the UDF readme file.

    You may find it easier to RMB on the burner and select unlock to avoid
    any possible problems with either the wrong unlock or syntax knowledge :-)

    Regards

    Pete

    > Jim L via the eCS 1.2r version of OS/2

  19. Re: CDR/2 Create Data DVD

    Peter Brown said:

    >You may find it easier to RMB on the burner and select unlock to avoid
    >any possible problems with either the wrong unlock or syntax knowledge
    >:-)

    >Regards

    >Pete

    Thanks. I think I should assume the one I'm currently concerned with is
    unlocked, because there is a Lock but no Unlock on the RMB menu?

    This disk has never been accessed by RSJ. I'm guessing RSJ has a "mind
    of its own" when it comes to lock and unlock.

    (I also assume the Refresh object must be used if I change disks.)

    Jim L via the eCS 1.2r version of OS/2

    --
    War strategy: Work to free a bunch of fools who want to kill each other off.

  20. Re: CDR/2 Create Data DVD

    Peter Brown said:

    >Something to be aware of is that UDF and DASD updates can cause severe
    >problems.

    >If you have a disc formatted udf214 and have updated the system to
    >udf216 or updated the os2dasd.dmd file it is necessary to copy all data
    > from existing disc and reformat the disc with udf216 *Before* writing
    >anything to that disc.

    >Should the disc be written to using a later udf than the disc was
    >formatted with the write is often successful. Problems occur after
    >Unlock and Eject, ie when the disc is next Read.

    >The WPS will often get confused, a view of the files on the disc will
    >change, folders and files will disappear and the system may go off in a
    > sulk, possibly after telling you that the disc is unreadable.

    >I suspect that could be what Jim reported as happening with his disc.

    >Regards

    >Pete

    I'm unclear on where this stands, but I think I'm probably OK, given
    that I only did my first UDF format a week or so ago. For some reason
    the ECSMT log is _extremely_ short and recent, but I think the last UDF
    update was some time ago.

    The UDF readme makes it quite clear that you should unlock a DVD after
    just about everything you do to it, but it has nothing to say about
    multiple versions of unlock.

    The UDF readme also makes repeated reference to the WPSHL - a GUI. Is
    that some very obscure part of OS/2 or just a little used name for
    something I use every day?