What to do with an ODF file? - OS2

This is a discussion on What to do with an ODF file? - OS2 ; I recently made the mistake of telling a corresondent that I have OpenOffice installed on my system. He has responded by sending me a file with the extension ODF, which I have learned means Open Document Format. I have tried ...

  1. What to do with an ODF file?

    I recently made the mistake of telling a corresondent that I have OpenOffice
    installed on my system. He has responded by sending me a file with the
    extension ODF, which I have learned means Open Document Format. I have tried
    to view it in OO v1.4, which displays it as an empty page.

    A Google search on <"open document format" os/2> has not taught me what to
    do with this bloated file (which seems to consist largely of Ws). Is there
    something I can do to read it?

    I would be willing to bet that there is nothing in this file that could not
    be equally well conveyed in plain text. Some day, if I live long enough, I
    hope to learn what it is that causes otherwise sentient primates to avoid
    plain text like the plague.

    --
    Stan Goodman
    Qiryat Tiv'on

    How to convince others that you are tolerant and nonviolent: throw grenades
    and firebombs, blow up schoolbusses and pizzerias, burn buildings,
    decapitate those you can't convince, and in general, exhibit your
    narrow-minded bloodthirstiness for all to see -- and tell them you're doing
    it for God.

  2. Re: What to do with an ODF file?

    Hi Stan

    Stan Goodman wrote:
    > I recently made the mistake of telling a corresondent that I have OpenOffice
    > installed on my system. He has responded by sending me a file with the
    > extension ODF, which I have learned means Open Document Format. I have tried
    > to view it in OO v1.4, which displays it as an empty page.
    >
    > A Google search on <"open document format" os/2> has not taught me what to
    > do with this bloated file (which seems to consist largely of Ws). Is there
    > something I can do to read it?
    >
    > I would be willing to bet that there is nothing in this file that could not
    > be equally well conveyed in plain text. Some day, if I live long enough, I
    > hope to learn what it is that causes otherwise sentient primates to avoid
    > plain text like the plague.

    The good news is that OO115 does claim to be able to open that format so
    I would suggest an update.

    Regards

    Pete

  3. Re: What to do with an ODF file?

    On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 12:11:46 UTC, Peter Brown
    opined:
    > Hi Stan
    >
    > Stan Goodman wrote:
    > > I recently made the mistake of telling a corresondent that I have OpenOffice
    > > installed on my system. He has responded by sending me a file with the
    > > extension ODF, which I have learned means Open Document Format. I have tried
    > > to view it in OO v1.4, which displays it as an empty page.
    > >
    > > A Google search on <"open document format" os/2> has not taught me what to
    > > do with this bloated file (which seems to consist largely of Ws). Is there
    > > something I can do to read it?
    > >
    > > I would be willing to bet that there is nothing in this file that could not
    > > be equally well conveyed in plain text. Some day, if I live long enough, I
    > > hope to learn what it is that causes otherwise sentient primates to avoid
    > > plain text like the plague.

    > The good news is that OO115 does claim to be able to open that format so
    > I would suggest an update.

    Many thanks for this information. Now I at least know what can read this
    formerly unheard of format.

    It was my understanding that OO115 was a vailable only as a Windows file
    that had to be run under Odin; is that right? I have not had the best of
    experiences with Norse deities, which is why I'm using v1.1.4.

    Now, as I google about, I see some confused and contradictory mentions of a
    version of v1.1.5 ported, or expected to be ported, to OS/2, and even about
    the same hopes for v2. I also see that one will need to pay 50 bucks for the
    privilege of support for the latter "free" application. Have I got that
    straight?

    If it is true, I am turned off. I have no quarrel with the presumed economic
    reasons for requiring this fee, and I hope nobody will contest my reluctance
    to pay it.

    Now that you tell me that v1.1.5 and v2 can handle this new format, I'll
    install it or v2 on the Windows partition of my T21.
    --
    Stan Goodman
    Qiryat Tiv'on
    Israel

    How to convince others that you are tolerant and nonviolent: throw grenades
    and firebombs, blow up schoolbusses and pizzerias, burn buildings,
    decapitate those you can't convince, and in general, exhibit your
    narrow-minded bloodthirstiness for all to see -- and tell them you're doing
    it for God.

  4. Re: What to do with an ODF file?

    Hi Stan

    Stan Goodman wrote:
    > On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 12:11:46 UTC, Peter Brown
    > opined:
    >> Hi Stan
    >>
    >> Stan Goodman wrote:
    >>> I recently made the mistake of telling a corresondent that I have OpenOffice
    >>> installed on my system. He has responded by sending me a file with the
    >>> extension ODF, which I have learned means Open Document Format. I have tried
    >>> to view it in OO v1.4, which displays it as an empty page.
    >>>
    >>> A Google search on <"open document format" os/2> has not taught me what to
    >>> do with this bloated file (which seems to consist largely of Ws). Is there
    >>> something I can do to read it?
    >>>
    >>> I would be willing to bet that there is nothing in this file that could not
    >>> be equally well conveyed in plain text. Some day, if I live long enough, I
    >>> hope to learn what it is that causes otherwise sentient primates to avoid
    >>> plain text like the plague.

    >> The good news is that OO115 does claim to be able to open that format so
    >> I would suggest an update.

    > Many thanks for this information. Now I at least know what can read this
    > formerly unheard of format.
    >
    > It was my understanding that OO115 was a vailable only as a Windows file
    > that had to be run under Odin; is that right? I have not had the best of
    > experiences with Norse deities, which is why I'm using v1.1.4.

    Sort of...

    I did not have any luck with Odin but Acrobat V5 offers an alternative
    "odin runtime", ar5os2.exe, that works fine.

    Just create a program object for the above on the Desktop and
    drag'n'drop the OO115 setup.exe file onto it.

    Yes, the win32 OO2 can be installed and made to run using the above
    technique but is liable to crash on a regular basis - that is my
    experience anyway.

    > Now, as I google about, I see some confused and contradictory mentions of a
    > version of v1.1.5 ported, or expected to be ported, to OS/2, and even about
    > the same hopes for v2. I also see that one will need to pay 50 bucks for the
    > privilege of support for the latter "free" application. Have I got that
    > straight?

    eCS are having OO2 ported so that it is native rather than using an
    "odin wrapper".

    I saw a screenshot of OO2 running on an eCS system somewhere - think it
    was on ecomstation - so would guess it is not far off beta release. Aha!
    found the page http://www.ecomstation.com/openoffice.phtml

    That also tells you about purchasing a support agreement which currently
    gives you OO115 - the odinised version - and then OO2 when ready. If I
    understood the page correctly...

    > If it is true, I am turned off. I have no quarrel with the presumed economic
    > reasons for requiring this fee, and I hope nobody will contest my reluctance
    > to pay it.

    Might be less if you have a Registered OO114. Quote from above webpage:-

    "Registered users of the current OpenOffice.org product for eComStation
    and IBM OS/2 will be able to purchase the Support Agreement for $29US."

    As regards discussing any fee for this "free" application: Someone,
    somewhere wants paying for their time spent creating a native version of
    OO2 - which I find very understandable :-)

    It is a shame that there is not a group of OS/2 programmers involved
    with OO as there is with the Mozilla products but a good office package
    for $49 still seems reasonable - $29 sounds better - presuming that it
    works fine :-)

    > Now that you tell me that v1.1.5 and v2 can handle this new format, I'll
    > install it or v2 on the Windows partition of my T21.

    Err... I stated that "OO115 does claim to be able to open that format"
    but think that I read somewhere it cannot save files in that format.

    Not having an odf file type around to try I did try to save an existing
    text doc as ODF type but the option is not in the "Save as" dropdown
    selector suggesting that is a no go.

    Hope the above is of help

    Pete

  5. Re: What to do with an ODF file?

    Stan Goodman wrote:
    > On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 12:11:46 UTC, Peter Brown
    > opined:
    >
    >> The good news is that OO115 does claim to be able to open that format so
    >> I would suggest an update.

    > Many thanks for this information. Now I at least know what can read this
    > formerly unheard of format.
    >
    > It was my understanding that OO115 was a vailable only as a Windows file
    > that had to be run under Odin; is that right? I have not had the best of
    > experiences with Norse deities, which is why I'm using v1.1.4.
    >
    > Now, as I google about, I see some confused and contradictory mentions of a
    > version of v1.1.5 ported, or expected to be ported, to OS/2, and even about
    > the same hopes for v2. I also see that one will need to pay 50 bucks for the
    > privilege of support for the latter "free" application. Have I got that
    > straight?
    >
    > If it is true, I am turned off. I have no quarrel with the presumed economic
    > reasons for requiring this fee, and I hope nobody will contest my reluctance
    > to pay it.
    >
    > Now that you tell me that v1.1.5 and v2 can handle this new format, I'll
    > install it or v2 on the Windows partition of my T21.

    Here OpenOffice 115 works better than Innotek's 114. I installed it
    dropping OO115 setup.exe onto Innotek ar5os2.exe. OO setup went through
    and after that I had a collection of OpenOffice objects on my desktop.
    OO started well, but after closing it, ar5os2.exe was still running and
    I couldn't kill it with Wachtcat, reboot needed. I gave aros2.exe (OS/2
    Kit for Acrobat Reader 4.05) to try and it works fine. Copies of
    aros2.exe and ar32win.dll are in openoffice\program directory.

    On my system (eCS 1.1 700 MHz Celeron 512 MiB RAM) Innotek OO114
    starting time is about 28-29 sec. and OO115 with aros2.exe 18-19 sec.
    and OO115 also works and closes faster.

    --
    Hessu
    Feel free to correct my English :-)

  6. Re: What to do with an ODF file?

    On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 18:43:35 UTC, Heikki Kekki
    opined:
    > Stan Goodman wrote:
    > > On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 12:11:46 UTC, Peter Brown
    > > opined:
    > >
    > >> The good news is that OO115 does claim to be able to open that format so
    > >> I would suggest an update.

    > > Many thanks for this information. Now I at least know what can read this
    > > formerly unheard of format.
    > >
    > > It was my understanding that OO115 was a vailable only as a Windows file
    > > that had to be run under Odin; is that right? I have not had the best of
    > > experiences with Norse deities, which is why I'm using v1.1.4.
    > >
    > > Now, as I google about, I see some confused and contradictory mentions of a
    > > version of v1.1.5 ported, or expected to be ported, to OS/2, and even about
    > > the same hopes for v2. I also see that one will need to pay 50 bucks for the
    > > privilege of support for the latter "free" application. Have I got that
    > > straight?
    > >
    > > If it is true, I am turned off. I have no quarrel with the presumed economic
    > > reasons for requiring this fee, and I hope nobody will contest my reluctance
    > > to pay it.
    > >
    > > Now that you tell me that v1.1.5 and v2 can handle this new format, I'll
    > > install it or v2 on the Windows partition of my T21.

    > Here OpenOffice 115 works better than Innotek's 114. I installed it
    > dropping OO115 setup.exe onto Innotek ar5os2.exe. OO setup went through
    > and after that I had a collection of OpenOffice objects on my desktop.
    > OO started well, but after closing it, ar5os2.exe was still running and
    > I couldn't kill it with Wachtcat, reboot needed. I gave aros2.exe (OS/2
    > Kit for Acrobat Reader 4.05) to try and it works fine. Copies of
    > aros2.exe and ar32win.dll are in openoffice\program directory.
    >
    > On my system (eCS 1.1 700 MHz Celeron 512 MiB RAM) Innotek OO114
    > starting time is about 28-29 sec. and OO115 with aros2.exe 18-19 sec.
    > and OO115 also works and closes faster.

    Thanks, Peter and Heikki.

    I'm assuming that I CANNOT have the Acrobat gizmo install v1.1.5 over the
    existing v1.1.4. Is that correct?

    --
    Stan Goodman
    Qiryat Tiv'on
    Israel

    How to convince others that you are tolerant and nonviolent: throw grenades
    and firebombs, blow up schoolbusses and pizzerias, burn buildings,
    decapitate those you can't convince, and in general, exhibit your
    narrow-minded bloodthirstiness for all to see -- and tell them you're doing
    it for God.

  7. Re: What to do with an ODF file?

    On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 18:35:08 UTC, Peter Brown
    opined:

    > > If it is true, I am turned off. I have no quarrel with the presumed economic
    > > reasons for requiring this fee, and I hope nobody will contest my reluctance
    > > to pay it.

    > Might be less if you have a Registered OO114. Quote from above webpage:-

    I do.

    > "Registered users of the current OpenOffice.org product for eComStation
    > and IBM OS/2 will be able to purchase the Support Agreement for $29US."

    I've thought further about it. Whether ODIN or the Acrobat gizmo, it's still
    a kludge. I'll stick with v1.1.4 on the OS/2 machine, and with v2 on the
    laptop Windows partition. It's cleaner. De gustibus...

    > As regards discussing any fee for this "free" application: Someone,
    > somewhere wants paying for their time spent creating a native version of
    > OO2 - which I find very understandable :-)

    As I said, I have no quarrel with the economics, and I understand very well
    that anyone who invests the time and effort deserves a financial return.

    > It is a shame that there is not a group of OS/2 programmers involved
    > with OO as there is with the Mozilla products but a good office package
    > for $49 still seems reasonable - $29 sounds better - presuming that it
    > works fine :-)

    Agreed. I don't want to involve ODIN or Acrobaat in it.

    > > Now that you tell me that v1.1.5 and v2 can handle this new format, I'll
    > > install it or v2 on the Windows partition of my T21.

    > Err... I stated that "OO115 does claim to be able to open that format"
    > but think that I read somewhere it cannot save files in that format.

    That is indeed what you said, and I jumped at the conclusion that the claim
    was justified. Thanks for putting it in proportion.

    > Not having an odf file type around to try I did try to save an existing
    > text doc as ODF type but the option is not in the "Save as" dropdown
    > selector suggesting that is a no go.
    >
    > Hope the above is of help

    It is of great help, as always.

    --
    Stan Goodman
    Qiryat Tiv'on
    Israel

    How to convince others that you are tolerant and nonviolent: throw grenades
    and firebombs, blow up schoolbusses and pizzerias, burn buildings,
    decapitate those you can't convince, and in general, exhibit your
    narrow-minded bloodthirstiness for all to see -- and tell them you're doing
    it for God.

  8. Re: What to do with an ODF file?

    Here in comp.os.os2.apps,
    "Stan Goodman" spake unto us, saying:

    >Many thanks for this information. Now I at least know what can read this
    >formerly unheard of format.

    ODF is the XML-based document format (now known as ISO standard 26300)
    which OpenOffice 2.0 will be using as its native format, and which the
    State of Massachusetts has recently attempted to adopt as its archival
    format for the future (much to the chagrin of Microsoft).

    It's gotten quite a bit of coverage in the technical press over the
    past several months.

    The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

  9. Re: What to do with an ODF file?

    On Sat, 3 Jun 2006 08:14:28 UTC, rsteiner@visi.com (Richard Steiner)
    wrote:

    > ODF is the XML-based document format (now known as ISO standard 26300)
    > which OpenOffice 2.0 will be using as its native format ...

    ^^^^ ^^

    Why the future tense?

    --
    Fred Blau
    (Change "s@" to "systematics@")

  10. Re: What to do with an ODF file?

    Hi Stan

    Stan Goodman wrote:
    > On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 18:35:08 UTC, Peter Brown
    > opined:
    >>> If it is true, I am turned off. I have no quarrel with the presumed economic
    >>> reasons for requiring this fee, and I hope nobody will contest my reluctance
    >>> to pay it.

    >> Might be less if you have a Registered OO114. Quote from above webpage:-

    > I do.
    >
    >> "Registered users of the current OpenOffice.org product for eComStation
    >> and IBM OS/2 will be able to purchase the Support Agreement for $29US."

    > I've thought further about it. Whether ODIN or the Acrobat gizmo, it's still
    > a kludge. I'll stick with v1.1.4 on the OS/2 machine,

    Same kludge - OO114 from Innotek is not a native OS/2 app, it is a win32
    app running using the Innotek "odin" wrapper.

    Something to think about :-)

    Pete

    and with v2 on the
    > laptop Windows partition. It's cleaner. De gustibus...
    >
    >> As regards discussing any fee for this "free" application: Someone,
    >> somewhere wants paying for their time spent creating a native version of
    >> OO2 - which I find very understandable :-)

    > As I said, I have no quarrel with the economics, and I understand very well
    > that anyone who invests the time and effort deserves a financial return.
    >
    >> It is a shame that there is not a group of OS/2 programmers involved
    >> with OO as there is with the Mozilla products but a good office package
    >> for $49 still seems reasonable - $29 sounds better - presuming that it
    >> works fine :-)

    > Agreed. I don't want to involve ODIN or Acrobaat in it.
    >

    >>> Now that you tell me that v1.1.5 and v2 can handle this new format, I'll
    >>> install it or v2 on the Windows partition of my T21.

    >> Err... I stated that "OO115 does claim to be able to open that format"
    >> but think that I read somewhere it cannot save files in that format.

    > That is indeed what you said, and I jumped at the conclusion that the claim
    > was justified. Thanks for putting it in proportion.
    >
    >> Not having an odf file type around to try I did try to save an existing
    >> text doc as ODF type but the option is not in the "Save as" dropdown
    >> selector suggesting that is a no go.
    >>
    >> Hope the above is of help

    > It is of great help, as always.
    >
    >> Pete

  11. Re: What to do with an ODF file?

    On Sat, 3 Jun 2006 20:14:02 UTC, Peter Brown
    opined:
    > Hi Stan
    >
    > Stan Goodman wrote:
    > > On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 18:35:08 UTC, Peter Brown
    > > opined:
    > >>

    > >> Might be less if you have a Registered OO114. Quote from above webpage:-

    > > I do.
    > >
    > >> "Registered users of the current OpenOffice.org product for eComStation
    > >> and IBM OS/2 will be able to purchase the Support Agreement for $29US."

    > > I've thought further about it. Whether ODIN or the Acrobat gizmo, it's still
    > > a kludge. I'll stick with v1.1.4 on the OS/2 machine,

    > Same kludge - OO114 from Innotek is not a native OS/2 app, it is a win32
    > app running using the Innotek "odin" wrapper.
    >
    > Something to think about :-)
    >
    > Pete

    Yes.

    The fact is that my need for this suite is close to zero, and v1,1,4 is
    installed and works. In a normal world I wouldn't need even that at all. The
    sole need is that my son's father-in-law, off in the wilds of Utah, saw fit
    until recently to write me emails in OO's SXW format, despite my repeated
    questions about what does SWX add to the message over what would be in a
    plain-text message. Now he has updated to something that lets him send me
    messages in ODT, making v1.1.4 obsolete. The only thing I need a newer OO
    release for is to read his stuff. So I've installed the Windows OO v1.2
    freebie on a Win2k partition on the laptop. A free program to do that is bad
    enough -- the damned thing chews up enormous tracts of HD space; I do not
    want to pay for the privilege. I'm trying to be courteous to him, but on the
    day that he writes me in a format that I have to pay to read, my son will
    have to find a way to explain to him why it is that I have been singing the
    praises of plain-text email.

    I have DeScribe from the days (long ago) when I needed to send nice looking
    paper mail; I don't even need that anymore (that is an age-connected
    phenomenon).

    --
    Stan Goodman
    Qiryat Tiv'on
    Israel

    How to convince others that you are tolerant and nonviolent: throw grenades
    and firebombs, blow up schoolbusses and pizzerias, burn buildings,
    decapitate those you can't convince, and in general, exhibit your
    narrow-minded bloodthirstiness for all to see -- and tell them you're doing
    it for God.

  12. Re: What to do with an ODF file?

    Here in comp.os.os2.apps, "Fred Blau"
    spake unto us, saying:

    >On Sat, 3 Jun 2006 08:14:28 UTC, rsteiner@visi.com (Richard Steiner)
    >wrote:
    >
    >> ODF is the XML-based document format (now known as ISO standard 26300)
    >> which OpenOffice 2.0 will be using as its native format ...

    > ^^^^ ^^
    >Why the future tense?

    Because the OS/2 version isn't available for general use yet (AFAIK).

    The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

+ Reply to Thread