Netscape 4.61 under WARP3: any plugin for TIFF? - OS2

This is a discussion on Netscape 4.61 under WARP3: any plugin for TIFF? - OS2 ; Hello, I've encountered a web site which required a plugin for TIFF files and didn't have any "save to disk" option. Strangely, despite having more than one graphic files viewer/editor that accepts TIFF format I'm in a need to find ...

  1. Netscape 4.61 under WARP3: any plugin for TIFF?

    Hello,

    I've encountered a web site which required a plugin for TIFF files
    and didn't have any "save to disk" option. Strangely, despite having
    more than one graphic files viewer/editor that accepts TIFF format
    I'm in a need to find a Netscape plugin for TIFF files (I attempted
    to change the "applications" settings in Netscape of TIFF files to
    "save to disk" instead of "IB.EXE" but the web site still required the
    plugin. Does anyone knows where can I get such a plugin or how can I
    persuade Netscape to use an existing viewer as a plugin?

    TIA,
    ************************************************** ****************************
    * Arie Kazachin, Israel, e-mail: ariek@attglobal3.14159265358979323846.net *
    ************************************************** ****************************
    NOTE: before replying, leave only letters in my domain-name. Sorry, SPAM trap.

  2. Re: Netscape 4.61 under WARP3: any plugin for TIFF?

    Arie Kazachin wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I've encountered a web site which required a plugin for TIFF files
    > and didn't have any "save to disk" option. Strangely, despite having
    > more than one graphic files viewer/editor that accepts TIFF format
    > I'm in a need to find a Netscape plugin for TIFF files (I attempted
    > to change the "applications" settings in Netscape of TIFF files to
    > "save to disk" instead of "IB.EXE" but the web site still required the
    > plugin. Does anyone knows where can I get such a plugin or how can I
    > persuade Netscape to use an existing viewer as a plugin?
    >
    > TIA,
    > ************************************************** ****************************
    > * Arie Kazachin, Israel, e-mail: ariek@attglobal3.14159265358979323846.net *
    > ************************************************** ****************************
    > NOTE: before replying, leave only letters in my domain-name. Sorry, SPAM trap.

    I use the Alternatiff Netscape Windows plugin with the Opera 5 for OS/2
    when a browser plugin is absolutely required. That works fine for the
    patent images USPTO website.

    --
    Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    and Sea Monkey 1.5a

  3. Re: Netscape 4.61 under WARP3: any plugin for TIFF?

    On a pleasant day while strolling in comp.os.os2.apps, a person by the
    name of Arie Kazachin exclaimed:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I've encountered a web site which required a plugin for TIFF files
    > and didn't have any "save to disk" option. Strangely, despite having
    > more than one graphic files viewer/editor that accepts TIFF format
    > I'm in a need to find a Netscape plugin for TIFF files (I attempted
    > to change the "applications" settings in Netscape of TIFF files to
    > "save to disk" instead of "IB.EXE" but the web site still required the
    > plugin. Does anyone knows where can I get such a plugin or how can I
    > persuade Netscape to use an existing viewer as a plugin?

    If you included a link, peopel could help.

    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and

  4. Re: Netscape 4.61 under WARP3: any plugin for TIFF?

    In message <127k4tdlsi221ea@corp.supernews.com> - "David T. Johnson"
    Sun, 28 May 2006 14:18:45 -0800 writes:

    [snip]

    >I use the Alternatiff Netscape Windows plugin with the Opera 5 for OS/2
    >when a browser plugin is absolutely required. That works fine for the
    >patent images USPTO website.
    >
    >--
    >Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    >and Sea Monkey 1.5a

    I looked there but it seems to be only a Windows executable,
    I didn't see anything OS/2 related on the www.alternatiff.com
    did I missed anything there?

    BTW, the site I had the problem with is exactly the one you mention - USPTO.
    It's strange there is no "save to disk" option there - I have quite a few
    graphic viewers/editors capable of viewing TIFF format but without the
    ability to save a file I'm stuck with what Netscape has (or doesn't, so far).

    TIA,
    ************************************************** ****************************
    * Arie Kazachin, Israel, e-mail: ariek@attglobal3.14159265358979323846.net *
    ************************************************** ****************************
    NOTE: before replying, leave only letters in my domain-name. Sorry, SPAM trap.

  5. Re: Netscape 4.61 under WARP3: any plugin for TIFF?

    Arie Kazachin wrote:
    > In message <127k4tdlsi221ea@corp.supernews.com> - "David T. Johnson"
    > Sun, 28 May 2006 14:18:45 -0800 writes:
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    >> I use the Alternatiff Netscape Windows plugin with the Opera 5 for OS/2
    >> when a browser plugin is absolutely required. That works fine for the
    >> patent images USPTO website.
    >>

    > I looked there but it seems to be only a Windows executable,
    > I didn't see anything OS/2 related on the www.alternatiff.com
    > did I missed anything there?

    Yes, you use the Windows executable with Odin to unpack the plugin.
    Then the windows wrapper in Opera will actually run the windows plugin.
    Here's the procedure:

    1) Download Opera 5.1 for OS/2 and install.
    2) Download Odin and install.
    3) Download latest Alternatiff Netscape plugin for windows. It will be
    an executable .exe file.

    4) Install Alternative plugin to Opera for OS/2 using Odin as:

    E:\ PE Alternatiff-xx.exe (not sure what the latest plugin number is)

    That will launch the Alternatiff installer. Tell it to install to the
    Opera5\plugins folder.

    5) Launch the Opera 5 browser. When you click on a .tiff link, the
    plugin will launch in the browser window and you can view or print the
    images as with any other plugin.

    > BTW, the site I had the problem with is exactly the one you mention - USPTO.
    > It's strange there is no "save to disk" option there - I have quite a few
    > graphic viewers/editors capable of viewing TIFF format but without the
    > ability to save a file I'm stuck with what Netscape has (or doesn't, so far).

    The Alternatiff plugin will let you save an image to disk or print it
    and it has a lot of other features.
    --
    Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    and Sea Monkey 1.5a

  6. Re: Netscape 4.61 under WARP3: any plugin for TIFF?

    In message <127nhb9c3qguif0@corp.supernews.com> - "David T. Johnson"
    writes:

    [snip]

    >1) Download Opera 5.1 for OS/2 and install.
    >2) Download Odin and install.

    Can Opera and Odin run under WARP3? I think I attempted once
    and it wasn't successful.

    ************************************************** ****************************
    * Arie Kazachin, Israel, e-mail: ariek@attglobal3.14159265358979323846.net *
    ************************************************** ****************************
    NOTE: before replying, leave only letters in my domain-name. Sorry, SPAM trap.

  7. Re: Netscape 4.61 under WARP3: any plugin for TIFF?

    On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 14:48:30, Arie Kazachin wrote:
    > In message <127nhb9c3qguif0@corp.supernews.com> - "David T. Johnson"
    > writes:
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    >>1) Download Opera 5.1 for OS/2 and install.
    >>2) Download Odin and install.

    > Can Opera and Odin run under WARP3? I think I attempted once
    > and it wasn't successful.

    Never worked for me.

    Does Mozilla 'do' TIFF? I have an older version of Mozilla running on my
    WARP 3 CONNEXT box. I never tried Firefox over there: my primary machine
    these days is a linux box.

    HTH
    Jonesy
    --
    Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
    *** Killfiling google posts:

  8. Re: Netscape 4.61 under WARP3: any plugin for TIFF?

    In message - Allodoxaphobia
    2 Jun 2006 16:38:03 GMT writes:

    >On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 14:48:30, Arie Kazachin wrote:
    >> In message <127nhb9c3qguif0@corp.supernews.com> - "David T. Johnson"
    >> writes:
    >>
    >> [snip]
    >>
    >>>1) Download Opera 5.1 for OS/2 and install.
    >>>2) Download Odin and install.

    >> Can Opera and Odin run under WARP3? I think I attempted once
    >> and it wasn't successful.

    >Never worked for me.
    >
    >Does Mozilla 'do' TIFF? I have an older version of Mozilla running on my
    >WARP 3 CONNEXT box. I never tried Firefox over there: my primary machine
    >these days is a linux box.

    No, Mozilla doesn't have "tiff" capability either.
    Thanks for all who replyed.

    * Arie Kazachin, Israel, e-mail: ariek@attglobal3.14159265358979323846.net *
    NOTE: before replying, leave only letters in my domain-name. Sorry, SPAM trap.

+ Reply to Thread