DVD player - OS2

This is a discussion on DVD player - OS2 ; What are the best apps for Warp 4 (base level) and eCS to play DVD's, preferrably with the ability to use small screen sizes when the pc is rather slow? ---...

  1. DVD player

    What are the best apps for Warp 4 (base level) and
    eCS to play DVD's, preferrably with the ability to
    use small screen sizes when the pc is rather slow?

    ---

  2. Re: DVD player

    ML wrote:
    > What are the best apps for Warp 4 (base level) and
    > eCS to play DVD's, preferrably with the ability to
    > use small screen sizes when the pc is rather slow?
    >

    > ---

    Warpvision. GA and 1.01 are less apt to crash (in fact neither has yet crashed
    on my systems) but the version with

    video2.exe 2,359,906 .a.. 05-06-01 16:00:10

    gives the best play back, sound synchronization, and responsiveness to the fast
    forward and fast backspace hot keys (until it goes off the rails).

    We can only hope that Vlad gets his act together eventually. I have contributed
    money several times and he is working at it, but there seems to be about .75
    step backward for every step forward. Sigh.

    (Simailar remarks can be made about ODIN).

    It's hard.

    Keep plugging away, Netlabs!

  3. Re: DVD player

    On Fri, 26 May 2006 23:02:19 +0200, ML wrote:
    > What are the best apps for Warp 4 (base level) and
    > eCS to play DVD's, preferrably with the ability to
    > use small screen sizes when the pc is rather slow?

    AFAIK there's only one app that can even remotely play DVDs under OS/2,
    WarpVision. (Publically available, anyway.)

    WarpVision can sort of play some (and only some) DVDs, but with some
    fairly major limitations (e.g. no menu support). I wouldn't expect
    much success on a "rather slow" PC, however.

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

    Remove hat to reply (reply-to address).

  4. Re: DVD player

    > Warpvision. GA and 1.01 are less apt to crash (in fact
    > neither has yet crashed on my systems) but the version
    > with

    > video2.exe 2,359,906 .a.. 05-06-01 16:00:10

    > gives the best play back, sound synchronization, and
    > responsiveness to the fast forward and fast backspace
    > hot keys (until it goes off the rails).

    Thanks for the detailed information. BTW, more in general
    EmperoarTV also shows some sound synchronization problems
    (with my eCS v1.2, Pentium III 500 MHz). I didn't have a
    DVD player before, so that's new to me.

    > I have contributed money several times and he is
    > working at it, but there seems to be about .75
    > step backward for every step forward. Sigh.

    I've contributed once or twice too. It may not be perfect
    (yet), but I'm happy with it so far and there doesn't seem
    to be another playback app anyway.

    ---

  5. Re: DVD player

    > I wouldn't expect much success on a "rather slow" PC,
    > however.

    The "rather slow" pc in question is an old PII ThinkPad. If
    I cannot reduce the image size enough, at least this minor
    speed problem would be solvable by starting to use a faster
    pc.

    ---

  6. Re: DVD player

    ML wrote:
    > > Warpvision. GA and 1.01 are less apt to crash (in fact
    > > neither has yet crashed on my systems) but the version
    > > with

    > > video2.exe 2,359,906 .a.. 05-06-01 16:00:10

    > > gives the best play back, sound synchronization, and
    > > responsiveness to the fast forward and fast backspace
    > > hot keys (until it goes off the rails).

    > Thanks for the detailed information. BTW, more in general
    > EmperoarTV also shows some sound synchronization problems
    > (with my eCS v1.2, Pentium III 500 MHz). I didn't have a
    > DVD player before, so that's new to me.

    With both WV and Emperoar, you will get much better results with a 1GHz PIII or
    better.

    If you just want to watch a movie, either WV or Emperoar is ok, but WV is better
    for skipping around to find editing cut points in captured programs. On the
    other hand, Emporoar will automatically go from one file to the next in a
    sequence without use of an IFO file; with WV you have to start each file
    manually and sometimes run into difficulty if the next file doesn't start on a
    suitable boundary.

    I have also seen instances of files which WV would play while Emperoar wouldn't
    and vice versa. It still is not an exact science.

  7. Re: DVD player

    >> Thanks for the detailed information. BTW, more in general
    >> EmperoarTV also shows some sound synchronization problems
    >> (with my eCS v1.2, Pentium III 500 MHz). I didn't have a
    >> DVD player before, so that's new to me.

    > With both WV and Emperoar, you will get much better
    > results with a 1GHz PIII or better.

    Indeed, EmperoarTV and WV are about the only apps where I'ld
    call my pc "too slow". Nevertheless both apps works fine, but
    basicly I'm always using Emperoar's lowest quality setting
    (0.5 MB/s).

    When playing an Emperoar-recording with WarpVision, the CPU
    load is about 30%. The PII 233 MHz laptop may just survive
    playing an Emperoar recording, I'ld guess. I still have to
    install eCS first. Next I'll try a PIII 1.1 GHz laptop, but
    I first like to see how the PII performs... :-)

    ---

  8. Re: DVD player

    > The PII 233 MHz laptop may just survive playing an Emperoar
    > recording, I'ld guess.

    FTR: with a PII (or 366) 400 MHz laptop, playing a 0.5 MB/s
    EmperoarTV recording with WV, the CPU load is 85-95%. Sound
    is seconds out of sync, and the size of the image is about
    as small as 2 typical stamps. Well, "it works"... :-)

    ---

  9. Re: DVD player

    On 01 Jun 2006 14:41:58 GMT, ML wrote:
    > > The PII 233 MHz laptop may just survive playing an Emperoar
    > > recording, I'ld guess.

    > FTR: with a PII (or 366) 400 MHz laptop, playing a 0.5 MB/s
    > EmperoarTV recording with WV, the CPU load is 85-95%. Sound
    > is seconds out of sync, and the size of the image is about
    > as small as 2 typical stamps. Well, "it works"... :-)

    FWIW, when I was still using my PII-400, I found that the WarpVision
    distribution "wvgui20040820" (optionally updated with the video2.exe
    dated 2004-09-12, which was a later interim build) was the last version
    that worked properly on that system. All subsequent versions I tried
    required too much CPU for my poor old system to handle, and I would get
    stuttering or pausing playback and/or synchronization problems.

    So you might try an earlier build such as that:
    ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/wvgui/wvgui20040820.zip

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

    Remove hat to reply (reply-to address).

  10. Re: DVD player

    > All subsequent versions I tried required too much CPU for
    > my poor old system to handle, and I would get stuttering
    > or pausing playback and/or synchronization problems.

    > So you might try an earlier build such as that:
    > ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/wvgui/wvgui20040820.zip

    Excuse me, the version I used probably was a wvgui2004*.zip
    (cannot check that right now) because the PII 400 MHz laptop
    I used here is a kind of backup pc, not a new install. I
    haven't checked how later versions perform yet.

    ---

+ Reply to Thread