Opening windows & xworkplace - OS2

This is a discussion on Opening windows & xworkplace - OS2 ; I have recently installed Xworkplace and find most features are a real improvement over OS2 workplace shell. But the one feature that I don't like and connot seem to find a way to change is: When I open a second ...

  1. Opening windows & xworkplace

    I have recently installed Xworkplace and find most features are a real
    improvement over OS2 workplace shell. But the one feature that I
    don't like and connot seem to find a way to change is:

    When I open a second file (anyfile that opens in a window on the
    desktop), it opens in the background and to bring it to focus I have
    to click on it. If another window is open on the desktop (like
    firefox browser), the new file window will open behind the browser and
    I cannot see it to bring it to focus or even to know that it's there.
    There must be a way to bring the last file open to focus in the
    foreground when it opens ?

    Can someone help?

    --

  2. Re: Opening windows & xworkplace

    On Wed, 24 May 2006 17:52:36 GMT, A. Willard Reese
    wrote:

    > When I open a second file (anyfile that opens in a window on the
    > desktop), it opens in the background and to bring it to focus I have
    > to click on it.

    Open it how? I don't know what you mean by a "second file" really. Why
    don't you try stating explicitly how and what you are doing?

    > If another window is open on the desktop (like
    > firefox browser), the new file window will open behind the browser and
    > I cannot see it to bring it to focus or even to know that it's there.
    > There must be a way to bring the last file open to focus in the
    > foreground when it opens ?

    Do you have Turbo Folders enabled? If so, turn the feature off.

  3. Re: Opening windows & xworkplace

    On Sun, 28 May 2006 00:44:51 UTC, Paul Ratcliffe
    wrote:

    > Do you have Turbo Folders enabled? If so, turn the feature off.

    Paul,
    Thank you for the suggestion. That did the trick. Don't really
    understand why "turbo folders" should affect how the OS2 editor
    (e.exe) opens........but it does.
    Again, thanks,
    Willard

    --

  4. Re: Opening windows & xworkplace

    On Sun, 28 May 2006 17:53:06 GMT, A. Willard Reese
    wrote:

    >> Do you have Turbo Folders enabled? If so, turn the feature off.

    > Thank you for the suggestion. That did the trick. Don't really
    > understand why "turbo folders" should affect how the OS2 editor
    > (e.exe) opens........but it does.

    Because with Turbo Folders on, the XWP Daemon starts the program, whereas
    with Turbo Folders off, the WPS does it.
    Programs in the background (the daemon) cannot start programs in the
    foreground which is why it doesn't get activated.
    There must be a way round this somehow but it is not easy as there has
    been a long term bug open on this problem:
    http://xtracker.netlabs.org/index.php?bug=60

+ Reply to Thread