Re: SETI / BOINC 5 -> How to make it work? - OS2

This is a discussion on Re: SETI / BOINC 5 -> How to make it work? - OS2 ; In article , "Michael Strickland" wrote: >On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 19:27:16 -0500, Don Guy wrote: > >>Check the current thread titled "SETI for OS/2". > >Found that thread yesterday and got it installed. Seems to be working, but >has ...

  1. Re: SETI / BOINC 5 -> How to make it work?

    In article ,
    "Michael Strickland" wrote:
    >On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 19:27:16 -0500, Don Guy wrote:
    >
    >>Check the current thread titled "SETI for OS/2".

    >Found that thread yesterday and got it installed. Seems to be working, but
    >has a lot of trouble with the Seti server - I see that is also mentioned in
    >the above thread.
    >
    >Thanks for taking the time to reply just the same.
    >
    >I removed the ???io (don't recall exactly what it was) parm from the
    >properties so output is generated, but nothing shows about how far along the
    >work unit has progressed - or how much has downloaded for that matter. Kinda
    >miss Ellie...
    >
    >I put a shadow of the BOINC exe into my startup folder - hope that isn't a
    >problem.
    >
    >Is it possible to keep up with stats without using my browser? The old Seti
    >client kept stats in user.sah and you could open it with a text editor and
    >view how many units had been completed - haven't been able to find that file.

    I use a batch file withe the following line, run from the directory Boinc's
    exe files are in:
    Boinc_Cmd.exe --get_results | lst.exe
    This pipes the results ouput to the old List program and allows scrolling.

  2. Re: SETI / BOINC 5 -> How to make it work?

    On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 06:02:32 UTC, jbilbro@frontiernet.net (John
    Bilbro) wrote:

    > In article ,
    > "Michael Strickland" wrote:
    > >I removed the ???io (don't recall exactly what it was) parm from the
    > >properties so output is generated, but nothing shows about how far along the
    > >work unit has progressed - or how much has downloaded for that matter. Kinda
    > >miss Ellie...
    > >
    > >Is it possible to keep up with stats without using my browser? The old Seti
    > >client kept stats in user.sah and you could open it with a text editor and
    > >view how many units had been completed - haven't been able to find that file.
    > >

    > I use a batch file withe the following line, run from the directory Boinc's
    > exe files are in:
    > Boinc_Cmd.exe --get_results | lst.exe
    > This pipes the results ouput to the old List program and allows scrolling.

    I have written some REXX programs which you might find useful:
    - BOINC_MONITOR.cmd
    - Allows both display of messages AND logging messages to a file
    - Handles problems experienced by some with the periodic
    benchmarks
    - JBSWU_MONITOR.cmd
    - Displays workunit progress (without reading XML files so it will
    not interfere with the Boinc client software trying to write those
    files)
    - Displays current credit statistics retrieved from the web
    - Can monitor multiple hosts in a single window, rotating the
    display between the various hosts
    - Will optionally start benchmarks at a user-selectable time
    during the last day of the 5-day cycle of benchmarks
    - REXXRPC.cmd
    - Can run both as a standalone program and as a subroutine called
    by another program
    - As a standalone program it serves as an alternative to
    BOINC_CMD.EXE
    - Provides a more complete display of results
    - Provides some additional commands not available through
    BOINC_CMD. (To be fair, there are a few obscure BOINC_CMD commands
    which are not yet implemented.)
    - Provides improved, more correct help (yes, there is an error
    in BOINC_CMD help) which can be paged forward and backwards
    - Provides for verification of potentially desctructive
    commands
    - As a subroutine it provides a relatively easy-to-use interface
    for programmers to access services/information from the Boinc client

    NOTE: These programs were written for v5.2.1.x of the Warp/eCS Boinc
    client. It is unknown if they work with other versions of the Boinc
    client, if any.

    If you are interested, these programs, along with an extensive
    continuing discussion of their use (and the use of Boinc/Seti), are
    available in the Seti-Warp group on Yahoo.

    If you do not choose to join us on Yahoo, I will make these programs
    available more publicly once development has stagnated. The programs
    work pretty well right now but I am working on a few "last" new
    features (support for passwords, support for user-defined commands,
    more user-configurable items, etc.) and I expect to finish soon.

    --

    John Small

    (remove the z's for email address)

+ Reply to Thread