converting OS/2 icons to a linux format - OS2

This is a discussion on converting OS/2 icons to a linux format - OS2 ; I would like to convert some of the icons (*.ICO) on my OS/2 box to some format that is useable/readable in linux (for use as KDE icons...) I've waded through the netpbm family of programs and cannot find anything there ...

  1. converting OS/2 icons to a linux format

    I would like to convert some of the icons (*.ICO) on my OS/2 box to
    some format that is useable/readable in linux (for use as KDE icons...)

    I've waded through the netpbm family of programs and cannot find anything
    there that'll read the OS/2 icons. No other linux program I've tried
    (gimp, ImageMagick, kuickshow, kiconedit) will handle the format.

    Maybe there's a way to convert them under OS/2 _before_ I bring them
    over?

    TIA
    Jonesy
    --
    Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
    Pueblo, Colorado | @ | Jonesy | OS/2 __

  2. Re: converting OS/2 icons to a linux format

    Maybe PMView? http://www.pmview.com

    --
    Best regards,
    Jeroen Besse

  3. Re: converting OS/2 icons to a linux format

    On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 18:54:52 UTC, Allodoxaphobia
    wrote:

    -> I would like to convert some of the icons (*.ICO) on my OS/2 box to
    -> some format that is useable/readable in linux (for use as KDE icons...)
    ->
    -> I've waded through the netpbm family of programs and cannot find anything
    -> there that'll read the OS/2 icons. No other linux program I've tried
    -> (gimp, ImageMagick, kuickshow, kiconedit) will handle the format.
    ->
    -> Maybe there's a way to convert them under OS/2 _before_ I bring them
    -> over?
    ->

    As Jeroen suggested, PMView will read the OS/2 .ico files and you can
    convert them into something that linux might like. PMView can save as
    windows icons as well as many other formats.

    Mark

    --
    From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

    http://www.os2voice.org
    Warpstock 2006, Windsor, Ontario, Canada, Oct 12-15, 2006 -
    http://www.warpstock.org

  4. Re: converting OS/2 icons to a linux format

    On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 14:24:19 -0600, Mark Dodel wrote:
    > On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 18:54:52 UTC, Allodoxaphobia wrote:
    >
    > -> I would like to convert some of the icons (*.ICO) on my OS/2 box to
    > -> some format that is useable/readable in linux (for use as KDE icons...)
    > ->
    > -> I've waded through the netpbm family of programs and cannot find anything
    > -> there that'll read the OS/2 icons. No other linux program I've tried
    > -> (gimp, ImageMagick, kuickshow, kiconedit) will handle the format.
    > ->
    > -> Maybe there's a way to convert them under OS/2 _before_ I bring them
    > -> over?
    >
    > As Jeroen suggested, PMView will read the OS/2 .ico files and you can
    > convert them into something that linux might like. PMView can save as
    > windows icons as well as many other formats.

    Thanks Jeroen, Thanks Mark.

    I think I had forgotten that I had PMView installed. :-) All I could
    think of was the OS/2 icon editor, itself. Fat lot of good that would do
    for my purpose.

    I'd still be interested in a CLI file-in file-out solution -- like
    ImageMagick's convert -- if anyone else has any ideas.

    Jonesy
    --
    Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
    Pueblo, Colorado | @ | Jonesy | OS/2 __
    38.24N 104.55W | config.com | DM78rf | SK

  5. Re: converting OS/2 icons to a linux format

    wrote:

    > I would like to convert some of the icons (*.ICO) on my OS/2 box to
    > some format that is useable/readable in linux (for use as KDE icons...)
    >
    > I've waded through the netpbm family of programs and cannot find anything
    > there that'll read the OS/2 icons. No other linux program I've tried
    > (gimp, ImageMagick, kuickshow, kiconedit) will handle the format.
    >
    > Maybe there's a way to convert them under OS/2 _before_ I bring them
    > over?
    >
    > TIA
    > Jonesy

    PMView can convert an OS/2 icon to 3 different formats that may be of
    value. Sun Raster (RAS) is widely used by UNIX systems. X Bitmap (XBM)
    and X Pixmap (XPM) are used by X windows.

    I would load a KDE icon on to OS/2 and see what type of file PMView
    thinks it is. If you do not have PMView installed, send one to me
    attached to an email, and I will take a stab at it.

    --
    Chuck McKinnis
    mckinnis@sandia.net

  6. Re: converting OS/2 icons to a linux format

    Chuck McKinnis wrote:

    > PMView can convert an OS/2 icon to 3 different formats that may be of
    > value. Sun Raster (RAS) is widely used by UNIX systems. X Bitmap (XBM)
    > and X Pixmap (XPM) are used by X windows.
    >
    > I would load a KDE icon on to OS/2 and see what type of file PMView
    > thinks it is. If you do not have PMView installed, send one to me
    > attached to an email, and I will take a stab at it.

    XPM is what you would have wanted a few years ago, PNG is what you want now.

  7. Re: converting OS/2 icons to a linux format

    On 17 Jan 2006 18:54:52 GMT, Allodoxaphobia wrote:

    > I would like to convert some of the icons (*.ICO) on my OS/2 box to
    > some format that is useable/readable in linux (for use as KDE
    > icons...)

    If I were going to do that, I'd open the icon in the icon editor, copy
    it to the clipboard, and then paste it into a drawing app. It would be
    a PITA for more than a few, though.

    --
    Michael DeBusk, Co-Conspirator to Make the World a Better Place
    I am a pineapple * http://home.earthlink.net/~debu4335/

  8. Re: converting OS/2 icons to a linux format

    On 17 Jan 2006 18:54:52 GMT, Allodoxaphobia wrote:
    > I would like to convert some of the icons (*.ICO) on my OS/2 box to
    > some format that is useable/readable in linux (for use as KDE icons...)
    >
    > I've waded through the netpbm family of programs and cannot find anything
    > there that'll read the OS/2 icons. No other linux program I've tried
    > (gimp, ImageMagick, kuickshow, kiconedit) will handle the format.
    >
    > Maybe there's a way to convert them under OS/2 _before_ I bring them
    > over?

    Open the icon in the Icon Editor. Fill in any 'transparent' regions with
    a suitable colour (otherwise they'll get converted to black, probably not
    what you want).

    Then either:
    1) Save the modified icon to a new icon file, open it in PMView and
    convert it to PNG, XPM, GIF, or whatever the desired format is.
    -or-
    2) Open a second instance of the Icon Editor, create a new bitmap of
    the same dimensions & colour depth as the icon file, and copy-paste
    the image from the icon into the bitmap. Then save the bitmap, and
    any Linux graphics program should be able to convert it as you
    wish.

    Do keep in mind that most OS/2 icons have multiple images within a single
    file (called 'devices'). PNG, BMP, and all other potential Linux icon
    formats only have one image per file. So you may want to convert each
    device separately, using either of the above methods, assuming you need
    all the various icon sizes.

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

    Remove hat to reply (reply-to address).

  9. Re: converting OS/2 icons to a linux format

    On 18 Jan 2006 00:36:50 GMT, Allodoxaphobia wrote:

    :>On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 14:24:19 -0600, Mark Dodel wrote:
    :>> On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 18:54:52 UTC, Allodoxaphobia wrote:
    :>>
    :>> -> I would like to convert some of the icons (*.ICO) on my OS/2 box to
    :>> -> some format that is useable/readable in linux (for use as KDE icons...)
    :>> ->
    :>> -> I've waded through the netpbm family of programs and cannot find anything
    :>> -> there that'll read the OS/2 icons. No other linux program I've tried
    :>> -> (gimp, ImageMagick, kuickshow, kiconedit) will handle the format.
    :>> ->
    :>> -> Maybe there's a way to convert them under OS/2 _before_ I bring them
    :>> -> over?
    :>>
    :>> As Jeroen suggested, PMView will read the OS/2 .ico files and you can
    :>> convert them into something that linux might like. PMView can save as
    :>> windows icons as well as many other formats.
    :>
    :>Thanks Jeroen, Thanks Mark.
    :>
    :>I think I had forgotten that I had PMView installed. :-) All I could
    :>think of was the OS/2 icon editor, itself. Fat lot of good that would do
    :>for my purpose.
    :>
    :>I'd still be interested in a CLI file-in file-out solution -- like
    :>ImageMagick's convert -- if anyone else has any ideas.

    I thought the later PMViews could do batches?

    Mat Nieuwenhoven

  10. Re: converting OS/2 icons to a linux format

    Mat Nieuwenhoven wrote:
    > On 18 Jan 2006 00:36:50 GMT, Allodoxaphobia wrote:
    >
    > :>On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 14:24:19 -0600, Mark Dodel wrote:
    > :>> On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 18:54:52 UTC, Allodoxaphobia wrote:
    > :>>
    > :>> -> I would like to convert some of the icons (*.ICO) on my OS/2 box to
    > :>> -> some format that is useable/readable in linux (for use as KDE icons...)
    > :>> ->
    > :>> -> I've waded through the netpbm family of programs and cannot find anything
    > :>> -> there that'll read the OS/2 icons. No other linux program I've tried
    > :>> -> (gimp, ImageMagick, kuickshow, kiconedit) will handle the format.
    > :>> ->
    > :>> -> Maybe there's a way to convert them under OS/2 _before_ I bring them
    > :>> -> over?
    > :>>
    > :>> As Jeroen suggested, PMView will read the OS/2 .ico files and you can
    > :>> convert them into something that linux might like. PMView can save as
    > :>> windows icons as well as many other formats.
    > :>
    > :>Thanks Jeroen, Thanks Mark.
    > :>
    > :>I think I had forgotten that I had PMView installed. :-) All I could
    > :>think of was the OS/2 icon editor, itself. Fat lot of good that would do
    > :>for my purpose.
    > :>
    > :>I'd still be interested in a CLI file-in file-out solution -- like
    > :>ImageMagick's convert -- if anyone else has any ideas.
    >
    > I thought the later PMViews could do batches?

    Correct; it's all in the help file. The OP probably needs a PMView
    script to do what he wants. I've never done batch processing with PMView...

    --
    Best regards,
    Jeroen Besse
    http://rblcheck.besse.nl/
    (to contact me: the nospam address actually exists)

+ Reply to Thread