Sudokul What is it? - OS2

This is a discussion on Sudokul What is it? - OS2 ; Sir: Yes, I see tha the program generates a table that follow certain rules. What does one do with these tables? -- Bill Thanks a Million!...

  1. Sudokul What is it?

    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  2. Re: Sudokul What is it?

    On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 10:35:22 UTC, "William L. Hartzell"
    opined:
    > Sir:
    >
    > Yes, I see tha the program generates a table that follow certain rules.
    > What does one do with these tables?

    They are a solitaire game, played by people with lots of free time on
    their hands, but that are unable to think of any better way to use it.

    You'll notice that the matrix is divided into 3 x 3 sub-matrices. The
    goal is to fill in the matrix in such a way that no number appears
    more than once in any row, in any column, or in any sub-matrix. Thus
    can an entire atternoon be whiled away. The game is of Japanese
    invention, which may explain why the Japanese economy is in the shape
    it's in.

    Are you saying that there is no newspaper in your neck of the woods
    that publishes these things at least once a week? That speaks well for
    the people of Texas.

    --
    Stan Goodman
    Qiryat Tiv'on

    "The intifada did not start because of Sharon's visit, [but] to put an
    end to occupation and because the Palestinians did not approve of the
    peace process in its previous form." -- Marwan Barghouti,
    Secretary-General of Fatah in Judea and Samaria (now serving five life
    terms for murdering Israelis), June 2001

  3. Re: Sudokul What is it?

    On 17 Jan 2006 11:56:59 GMT, Stan Goodman wrote:
    >> Yes, I see tha the program generates a table that follow certain rules.
    >> What does one do with these tables?

    > They are a solitaire game, played by people with lots of free time on
    > their hands, but that are unable to think of any better way to use it.

    That seems a bit unfair. It's much the same type of pastime as a
    crossword puzzle.

    In fact, it was popularized in Japan precisely because crosswords don't
    work very well with the language.

    I've tried it a few times. It's OK to do when you're on a plane or in a
    waiting room or something.

    > You'll notice that the matrix is divided into 3 x 3 sub-matrices. The
    > goal is to fill in the matrix in such a way that no number appears
    > more than once in any row, in any column, or in any sub-matrix. Thus
    > can an entire atternoon be whiled away. The game is of Japanese
    > invention, which may explain why the Japanese economy is in the shape
    > it's in.

    It's actually of British origin, I believe. The Japanese simply adopted
    it and gave it a catchy name.

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

    Remove hat to reply (reply-to address).

  4. Re: Sudokul What is it?

    On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 11:56:59 UTC, "Stan Goodman"
    wrote:

    > Are you saying that there is no newspaper in your neck of the woods
    > that publishes these things at least once a week? That speaks well for
    > the people of Texas.

    Better watch it Stan...

    Comments like that may put all your communications under scrutiny by the powers
    that be (after all, our fearless leader's power base derives from that great
    state)!

  5. Re: Sudokul What is it?

    On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 16:54:03 UTC, Alex Taylor
    opined:
    > On 17 Jan 2006 11:56:59 GMT, Stan Goodman wrote:
    > >> Yes, I see tha the program generates a table that follow certain rules.
    > >> What does one do with these tables?

    > > They are a solitaire game, played by people with lots of free time on
    > > their hands, but that are unable to think of any better way to use it.

    > That seems a bit unfair. It's much the same type of pastime as a
    > crossword puzzle.

    Yes, it is. When I think of all the time I spent doing the Sunday
    NYTimes Xword puzzles years ago, I could weep.

    > In fact, it was popularized in Japan precisely because crosswords don't
    > work very well with the language.

    They don't work well with Hebrew either, mostly because virtually any
    three letters make a word or a root.

    > I've tried it a few times. It's OK to do when you're on a plane or in a
    > waiting room or something.

    Yes, when you are isolated, immobilized, and unable to do anything
    else.

    > > You'll notice that the matrix is divided into 3 x 3 sub-matrices. The
    > > goal is to fill in the matrix in such a way that no number appears
    > > more than once in any row, in any column, or in any sub-matrix. Thus
    > > can an entire atternoon be whiled away. The game is of Japanese
    > > invention, which may explain why the Japanese economy is in the shape
    > > it's in.

    > It's actually of British origin, I believe. The Japanese simply adopted
    > it and gave it a catchy name.

    I didn't know that.

    --
    Stan Goodman
    Qiryat Tiv'on
    Israel

    "The intifada did not start because of Sharon's visit, [but] to put an
    end to occupation and because the Palestinians did not approve of the
    peace process in its previous form." -- Marwan Barghouti,
    Secretary-General of Fatah in Judea and Samaria (now serving five life
    terms for murdering Israelis), June 2001

  6. Re: Sudokul What is it?

    On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 19:24:26 UTC, "eric w" opined:
    > On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 11:56:59 UTC, "Stan Goodman"
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Are you saying that there is no newspaper in your neck of the woods
    > > that publishes these things at least once a week? That speaks well for
    > > the people of Texas.
    > >

    > Better watch it Stan...
    >
    > Comments like that may put all your communications under scrutiny by the powers
    > that be (after all, our fearless leader's power base derives from that great
    > state)!

    Nah... Scrutiny without a warrant? Nah... Yeah?

    --
    Stan Goodman
    Qiryat Tiv'on
    Israel

    "The intifada did not start because of Sharon's visit, [but] to put an
    end to occupation and because the Palestinians did not approve of the
    peace process in its previous form." -- Marwan Barghouti,
    Secretary-General of Fatah in Judea and Samaria (now serving five life
    terms for murdering Israelis), June 2001

  7. Re: Sudokul What is it?

    Sir:

    eric w wrote:
    > On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 11:56:59 UTC, "Stan Goodman"
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Are you saying that there is no newspaper in your neck of the woods
    >> that publishes these things at least once a week? That speaks well for
    >> the people of Texas.
    >>

    > Better watch it Stan...
    >
    > Comments like that may put all your communications under scrutiny by the powers
    > that be (after all, our fearless leader's power base derives from that great
    > state)!

    I think it speaks of my powers of observation that I've not seen or
    recognized it. I still don't know the rules of the game. I've googled
    on this before I posted and found game boy styled consoles that one can
    use, a web page in Spanish on a snail with that name, and web site that
    offered free games for phones, etc., but no rules.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  8. Re: Sudokul What is it?

    On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 20:19:56 UTC, "William L. Hartzell"
    wrote:

    > I think it speaks of my powers of observation that I've not seen or
    > recognized it. I still don't know the rules of the game. I've googled
    > on this before I posted and found game boy styled consoles that one can
    > use, a web page in Spanish on a snail with that name, and web site that
    > offered free games for phones, etc., but no rules.

    When I searched, I found this at once:

    http://www.sudoku.name/sudoku-rules.php?ln=en

  9. Re: Sudokul What is it?

    On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 20:19:56 UTC, "William L. Hartzell"
    opined:
    > Sir:
    >
    > eric w wrote:
    > > On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 11:56:59 UTC, "Stan Goodman"
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >> Are you saying that there is no newspaper in your neck of the woods
    > >> that publishes these things at least once a week? That speaks well for
    > >> the people of Texas.
    > >>

    > > Better watch it Stan...
    > >
    > > Comments like that may put all your communications under scrutiny by the powers
    > > that be (after all, our fearless leader's power base derives from that great
    > > state)!

    > I think it speaks of my powers of observation that I've not seen or
    > recognized it. I still don't know the rules of the game. I've googled
    > on this before I posted and found game boy styled consoles that one can
    > use, a web page in Spanish on a snail with that name, and web site that
    > offered free games for phones, etc., but no rules.

    Being a solitaire game, it doesn't have what you might call rules. I
    will try again to explain what one does with it.

    The is a 9 x 9 matrix, divided into nine 3 x 3 matrices. Some of the
    squares have numbers in them, most are empty. Your task, Jim (before
    this message self-destructs) is to fill the empty squares, subject to
    the following limitations (you can't just fill them with whatever
    numbers <1 to 9> that come to mind):

    When you get done, each row will contain all the numbers 1 to 9, and
    each of these will appear once only; the same is true for each column.
    The additional constraint is that the same is also true of the 3 x 3
    submatrices. Those are the "rules"; there are no others. You can work
    on any group of squares in any order, make any guesses you want, do
    whatever intermediate tests you need, and do as much erasing as
    necessary. What will happen as you progress is that the logic will
    become obvious to you, and you will have a very good idea of how to
    write a REXX or other script to do it better and faster than you can.
    But writing that script is CHEATING.

    9-8-7-6-5-,,,,,,,

    --
    Stan Goodman
    Qiryat Tiv'on
    Israel

    "The intifada did not start because of Sharon's visit, [but] to put an
    end to occupation and because the Palestinians did not approve of the
    peace process in its previous form." -- Marwan Barghouti,
    Secretary-General of Fatah in Judea and Samaria (now serving five life
    terms for murdering Israelis), June 2001

  10. Re: Sudokul What is it?

    Sir:

    Bob Eager wrote:
    > On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 20:19:56 UTC, "William L. Hartzell"
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I think it speaks of my powers of observation that I've not seen or
    >> recognized it. I still don't know the rules of the game. I've googled
    >> on this before I posted and found game boy styled consoles that one can
    >> use, a web page in Spanish on a snail with that name, and web site that
    >> offered free games for phones, etc., but no rules.

    > When I searched, I found this at once:
    >
    > http://www.sudoku.name/sudoku-rules.php?ln=en

    Just what I been looking to have.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  11. Re: Sudokul What is it?

    Sir

    Stan Goodman wrote:

    It is the sort of thing that Rexx would be good at doing, not me.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  12. Re: Sudokul What is it?

    On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 21:46:51 UTC, "William L. Hartzell"
    opined:
    > Sir
    >
    > Stan Goodman wrote:
    >
    > It is the sort of thing that Rexx would be good at doing, not me.

    Well, that's the way I feel about it.

    This, by the way, is a major difference between Sudoku and crossword
    puzzles. One isn't tempted to write a script to work the NYT puzzle.

    --
    Stan Goodman
    Qiryat Tiv'on
    Israel

    "The intifada did not start because of Sharon's visit, [but] to put an
    end to occupation and because the Palestinians did not approve of the
    peace process in its previous form." -- Marwan Barghouti,
    Secretary-General of Fatah in Judea and Samaria (now serving five life
    terms for murdering Israelis), June 2001

  13. Re: Sudokul What is it?

    Stan Goodman wrote:
    > On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 10:35:22 UTC, "William L. Hartzell"
    > opined:
    >
    >>Sir:
    >>
    >>Yes, I see tha the program generates a table that follow certain rules.
    >> What does one do with these tables?

    > They are a solitaire game, played by people with lots of free time on
    > their hands, but that are unable to think of any better way to use it.
    >
    > You'll notice that the matrix is divided into 3 x 3 sub-matrices. The
    > goal is to fill in the matrix in such a way that no number appears
    > more than once in any row, in any column, or in any sub-matrix. Thus
    > can an entire atternoon be whiled away. The game is of Japanese

    Actually a very similar puzzle was introduced by Euler.

    > invention, which may explain why the Japanese economy is in the shape
    > it's in.
    >
    > Are you saying that there is no newspaper in your neck of the woods
    > that publishes these things at least once a week? That speaks well for
    > the people of Texas.

  14. Re: Sudokul What is it?

    Le mar, 17 jan 2006 10:35:22 UTC, "William L. Hartzell"
    a écrit:

    > Sir:
    >
    > Yes, I see tha the program generates a table that follow certain rules.
    > What does one do with these tables?

    Hi William,

    I'm the one who put the sudoku tables generator on Hobbes. The
    sudoku consists of a 9x9 table that is constructed as 9 3x3 blocks.
    Each block has to be fill with numbers ranging from 1 to 9. Each
    number must appear only once in a block. The trick is to fill the
    whole table without having the same number repeated horizontally or
    vertically. The sudoku table comes with some pre-entered numbers and
    you have to fill in the blanks. ;-)

    --
    Salut,

    Michel (sur OS/2 Warp 4.50)
    ICQ #13376913
    http://pages.infinit.net/exovede

  15. Re: Sudokul What is it?

    Stan Goodman wrote:

    > Nah... Scrutiny without a warrant? Nah... Yeah?

    Flagrant disregard for the law? "It's good to be the king!"

  16. Re: Sudokul What is it?

    On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 01:22:58 GMT, Michel A Goyette
    wrote:

    > I'm the one who put the sudoku tables generator on Hobbes.

    Why do I get the feeling that Stan will soon be cursing your name?

    --
    Michael DeBusk, Co-Conspirator to Make the World a Better Place
    I am a pineapple * http://home.earthlink.net/~debu4335/

  17. Re: Sudokul What is it?

    On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 06:50:27 UTC, Michael DeBusk
    opined:
    > On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 01:22:58 GMT, Michel A Goyette
    > wrote:
    >
    > > I'm the one who put the sudoku tables generator on Hobbes.

    > Why do I get the feeling that Stan will soon be cursing your name?

    Why other people get feelings, I have no way of knowing. When he makes
    me play Sudoku I'll consider sticking pins in a small doll bearing
    his name. Until then, we're friends.

    --
    Stan Goodman
    Qiryat Tiv'on
    Israel

    "The intifada did not start because of Sharon's visit, [but] to put an
    end to occupation and because the Palestinians did not approve of the
    peace process in its previous form." -- Marwan Barghouti,
    Secretary-General of Fatah in Judea and Samaria (now serving five life
    terms for murdering Israelis), June 2001

  18. Re: Sudokul What is it?

    Check out

    http://www.websudoku.com/

    where you can get puzzles at different difficulty levels.

    I am somewhat hooked on Sudoku

    Nate Liskov

    William L. Hartzell" wrote:

    > Sir:
    >
    > Yes, I see tha the program generates a table that follow certain rules.
    > What does one do with these tables?

    --
    nate_NOSPAM@lcs.mit.edu http://nateliskov.ne.client2.attbi.com
    or http://home.comcast.net/~nateliskov