anyone use Privoxy? - OS2

This is a discussion on anyone use Privoxy? - OS2 ; I was wondering if anyone tried using Privoxy, and what they thought of it. I've been using SCache quite happily the last 2-3 years (standalone, dialup) but because of the warnings on it I thought I'd finally check out Privoxy. ...

  1. anyone use Privoxy?

    I was wondering if anyone tried using Privoxy, and what they thought of it.
    I've been using SCache quite happily the last 2-3 years (standalone, dialup)
    but because of the warnings on it I thought I'd finally check out Privoxy.
    I'd tried SQUISH about a year ago, and finally gave up on it after serious
    effort. So...

    Thanks for any feedback.

    - Dushan Mitrovich

  2. Re: anyone use Privoxy?

    Dushan, I've been using it for a long time on all my OS/2 boxes here ..

    Dushan Mitrovich wrote:
    > I was wondering if anyone tried using Privoxy, and what they thought of it.
    > I've been using SCache quite happily the last 2-3 years (standalone, dialup)
    > but because of the warnings on it I thought I'd finally check out Privoxy.
    > I'd tried SQUISH about a year ago, and finally gave up on it after serious
    > effort. So...
    >
    > Thanks for any feedback.
    >
    > - Dushan Mitrovich

    The only issue I've found with the most recent release is that they keep the
    log file open all the time when it is running. On complex boxes with a lot of
    comm I/O port operations covering multiple comm ports, which are also handling
    24X7 IP connections broadband and with Norman's NVC 5.8 latest as well, I see
    occaisional lockups that do not throw traps and require Big Red Switch reboots
    at what appear to be very random times. Without going into the long trace
    efforts on all this I can tell you that I see less of these if PRIVOXY isn't
    left running if MOZILLA isn't going to be in use on these boxes and they are to
    be left unattended but running the comm and TCP/IP apps for days on end.

    I've never seen this lockup deal on any but these heavy duty logging and comm
    port operations systems. Never seen any failures I could maybe relate it to on
    any 'normally' intended OS/2 box here or at a client's location.

    Again .. note the word random in the above and less relative to the lockups.
    As far as I know, if you don't like it you can sure remove it. And I think it
    causes no changes in your system other than to give you the option to have it
    autostart via your STARTUP object if you want that.

    I've used it both from the 127.0.0.1 Local Host way as well as the dedicated
    modification of its config file to move the interface to a private net host
    directive for LAN work.

  3. Re: anyone use Privoxy?

    On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 22:35:39 -0700, Dushan Mitrovich
    wrote:

    > I was wondering if anyone tried using Privoxy, and what they
    > thought of it.

    I moved from SmartCache to Privoxy+Squid.

    I'm convinced that SmartCache was faster, though I haven't tested.

    Privoxy seems more aggressive than SmartCache, sometimes blocking
    things I'd rather it didn't. I don't know enough about its config files
    to be able to change that, so I keep its "toggle" bookmarklet in
    Firefox's toolbar.

    (I wish someone would combine Privoxy and Squid to create one program
    which really replaces SmartCache.)

    --
    Michael DeBusk, Co-Conspirator to Make the World a Better Place
    I am a pineapple * http://home.earthlink.net/~debu4335/

  4. Re: anyone use Privoxy?

    On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 05:35:39 UTC, anti@spamming.org (Dushan Mitrovich)
    wrote:

    > I was wondering if anyone tried using Privoxy, and what they thought of it.
    > I've been using SCache quite happily the last 2-3 years (standalone, dialup)
    > but because of the warnings on it I thought I'd finally check out Privoxy.
    > I'd tried SQUISH about a year ago, and finally gave up on it after serious
    > effort. So...
    >
    > Thanks for any feedback.
    >
    > - Dushan Mitrovich

    I quit using SmartCache, when the problems were announced, a couple of
    years ago, however, it appears that those problems were fixed, and
    SmartCache is now okay, again:

    > http://scache.sourceforge.net/

    I haven't bothered to get it again, because using a cache, with ADSL,
    would seem to be a waste of time, and effort. YMMV...

    Hope this helps...
    --
    From the eComStation 1.2 of Doug Bissett
    doug dot bissett at attglobal dot net

  5. Re: anyone use Privoxy?

    On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 21:13:24 GMT, Doug Bissett
    wrote:

    > I quit using SmartCache, when the problems were announced, a couple
    > of years ago, however, it appears that those problems were fixed,
    > and SmartCache is now okay, again:

    Woohoo!

    I mean... damn. I deleted all my custom config files. Now I have to
    start over. Oh, well. Time to play.

    --
    Michael DeBusk, Co-Conspirator to Make the World a Better Place
    I am a pineapple * http://home.earthlink.net/~debu4335/

  6. Re: anyone use Privoxy?

    wrote:

    > I was wondering if anyone tried using Privoxy, and what they thought of it.
    > I've been using SCache quite happily the last 2-3 years (standalone, dialup)
    > but because of the warnings on it I thought I'd finally check out Privoxy.
    > I'd tried SQUISH about a year ago, and finally gave up on it after serious
    > effort. So...
    >
    > Thanks for any feedback.
    >
    > - Dushan Mitrovich

    Been using it for years - was junkbuster - and it works pretty well. A few
    cookies sneak through, but almost no ad's. I have it chained to scache, on
    both ecs 1.2 and WIN2K.
    Ben

  7. Re: anyone use Privoxy?

    "Doug Bissett" wrote:
    >On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 05:35:39 UTC, Dushan Mitrovich wrote:
    >> I was wondering if anyone tried using Privoxy, and what they thought of it.
    >> I've been using SCache quite happily the last 2-3 years (standalone, dialup)
    >> but because of the warnings on it I thought I'd finally check out Privoxy.
    >> I'd tried SQUISH about a year ago, and finally gave up on it after serious
    >> effort. So...

    > I quit using SmartCache, when the problems were announced, a couple
    > of years ago, however, it appears that those problems were fixed, and
    > SmartCache is now okay, again:
    >
    > > http://scache.sourceforge.net/

    > I haven't bothered to get it again, because using a cache, with ADSL,
    > would seem to be a waste of time, and effort. YMMV...
    >
    > Hope this helps...

    Thank you, Doug, yes this helps a lot. I d/l'ed the 0.93 version and will
    use that. I hadn't seen any announcements about this now six-month old
    info. How did you happen to find it - the eComStation site?

    And, Michael, thanks for your comments about Privoxy.

    - Dushan

  8. Re: anyone use Privoxy?

    On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 21:09:34 UTC, anti@spamming.org (Dushan Mitrovich)
    wrote:

    > "Doug Bissett" wrote:
    > >On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 05:35:39 UTC, Dushan Mitrovich wrote:
    > >> I was wondering if anyone tried using Privoxy, and what they thought of it.
    > >> I've been using SCache quite happily the last 2-3 years (standalone, dialup)
    > >> but because of the warnings on it I thought I'd finally check out Privoxy.
    > >> I'd tried SQUISH about a year ago, and finally gave up on it after serious
    > >> effort. So...

    > > I quit using SmartCache, when the problems were announced, a couple
    > > of years ago, however, it appears that those problems were fixed, and
    > > SmartCache is now okay, again:
    > >
    > > > http://scache.sourceforge.net/

    > > I haven't bothered to get it again, because using a cache, with ADSL,
    > > would seem to be a waste of time, and effort. YMMV...
    > >
    > > Hope this helps...

    > Thank you, Doug, yes this helps a lot. I d/l'ed the 0.93 version and will
    > use that. I hadn't seen any announcements about this now six-month old
    > info. How did you happen to find it - the eComStation site?
    >
    > And, Michael, thanks for your comments about Privoxy.
    >
    > - Dushan

    I don't remember, for sure, but I think there was something posted,
    just before the original web site dissappeared, and I book marked the
    new site, at the time.

    --
    From the eComStation 1.2 of Doug Bissett
    doug dot bissett at attglobal dot net

  9. Re: anyone use Privoxy?

    Dushan Mitrovich wrote:

    >>> http://scache.sourceforge.net/

    > Thank you, Doug, yes this helps a lot. I d/l'ed the 0.93 version and will
    > use that. I hadn't seen any announcements about this now six-month old
    > info. How did you happen to find it - the eComStation site?

    It was listed when it came out:
    http://www.os2bbs.com/os2news/

  10. Re: anyone use Privoxy?

    Steve Wendt wrote:

    >> Thank you, Doug, yes this helps a lot. I d/l'ed the 0.93 version and will
    >> use that. I hadn't seen any announcements about this now six-month old
    >> info. How did you happen to find it - the eComStation site?

    > It was listed when it came out:
    > http://www.os2bbs.com/os2news/

    Oh, guess I missed it.

    - Dushan

  11. Re: anyone use Privoxy?

    wrote:

    > "Doug Bissett" wrote:
    > >On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 05:35:39 UTC, Dushan Mitrovich wrote:
    > >> I was wondering if anyone tried using Privoxy, and what they thought of it.
    > >> I've been using SCache quite happily the last 2-3 years (standalone, dialup)
    > >> but because of the warnings on it I thought I'd finally check out Privoxy.
    > >> I'd tried SQUISH about a year ago, and finally gave up on it after serious
    > >> effort. So...

    > > I quit using SmartCache, when the problems were announced, a couple
    > > of years ago, however, it appears that those problems were fixed, and
    > > SmartCache is now okay, again:
    > >
    > > > http://scache.sourceforge.net/

    > > I haven't bothered to get it again, because using a cache, with ADSL,
    > > would seem to be a waste of time, and effort. YMMV...
    > >
    > > Hope this helps...

    > Thank you, Doug, yes this helps a lot. I d/l'ed the 0.93 version and will
    > use that. I hadn't seen any announcements about this now six-month old
    > info. How did you happen to find it - the eComStation site?
    >
    > And, Michael, thanks for your comments about Privoxy.
    >
    > - Dushan

    Does anyone know where to find (or can send me) the compiled source. I
    don't have the tools, or the ability to compile the 0.93 source.
    Thanks Ben.... Benbor-spamnot- @attglobal.net - remove the obvious-

  12. Re: anyone use Privoxy?

    On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 15:06:33 UTC, "Ben B. ProNews/2 User"
    wrote:

    > On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 21:09:34 UTC, anti@spamming.org (Dushan Mitrovich)
    > wrote:

    > > > I quit using SmartCache, when the problems were announced, a couple
    > > > of years ago, however, it appears that those problems were fixed, and
    > > > SmartCache is now okay, again:

    > > > I haven't bothered to get it again, because using a cache, with ADSL,
    > > > would seem to be a waste of time, and effort. YMMV...
    > > >
    > > > Hope this helps...

    > > Thank you, Doug, yes this helps a lot. I d/l'ed the 0.93 version and will
    > > use that. I hadn't seen any announcements about this now six-month old
    > > info. How did you happen to find it - the eComStation site?
    > >
    > > And, Michael, thanks for your comments about Privoxy.
    > >
    > > - Dushan
    > >

    > Does anyone know where to find (or can send me) the compiled source. I
    > don't have the tools, or the ability to compile the 0.93 source.
    > Thanks Ben.... Benbor-spamnot- @attglobal.net - remove the obvious-

    ??? It's all at:

    > http://scache.sourceforge.net/

    Hope this helps...
    --
    From the eComStation 1.2 of Doug Bissett
    doug dot bissett at attglobal dot net

  13. Re: anyone use Privoxy?

    "Ben B. ProNews/2 User" wrote:
    >On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 21:09:34 UTC, Dushan Mitrovich wrote:
    >> >
    >> > I quit using SmartCache, when the problems were announced, a couple
    >> > of years ago, however, it appears that those problems were fixed, and
    >> > SmartCache is now okay, again:

    >> > I haven't bothered to get it again, because using a cache, with ADSL,
    >> > would seem to be a waste of time, and effort. YMMV...
    >> >
    >> > Hope this helps...

    >> Thank you, Doug, yes this helps a lot. I d/l'ed the 0.93 version and will
    >> use that. I hadn't seen any announcements about this now six-month old
    >> info. How did you happen to find it - the eComStation site?
    >>
    >> And, Michael, thanks for your comments about Privoxy.
    >>
    >> - Dushan
    >>

    > Does anyone know where to find (or can send me) the compiled source.
    > I don't have the tools, or the ability to compile the 0.93 source.
    > Thanks Ben.... Benbor-spamnot- @attglobal.net - remove the obvious-

    Umm, have you looked in the above URL? I don't remember having any trouble
    locating version 0.93. Maybe you're thinking you need an OS/2 executable.
    But it's a Java program, so if you have either java or jre, that's all you
    need to run SmartCache.

    - Dushan

  14. Re: anyone use Privoxy?

    TOn Fri, 20 Jan 2006 20:16:57 UTC, anti@spamming.org (Dushan Mitrovich)
    wrote:

    > "Ben B. ProNews/2 User" wrote:

    > >> Thank you, Doug, yes this helps a lot. I d/l'ed the 0.93 version and will
    > >> use that. I hadn't seen any announcements about this now six-month old
    > >> info. How did you happen to find it - the eComStation site?
    > >>
    > >> And, Michael, thanks for your comments about Privoxy.
    > >>
    > >> - Dushan
    > >>

    > > Does anyone know where to find (or can send me) the compiled source.
    > > I don't have the tools, or the ability to compile the 0.93 source.
    > > Thanks Ben.... Benbor-spamnot- @attglobal.net - remove the obvious-

    > Umm, have you looked in the above URL? I don't remember having any trouble
    > locating version 0.93. Maybe you're thinking you need an OS/2 executable.
    > But it's a Java program, so if you have either java or jre, that's all you
    > need to run SmartCache.
    >
    > - Dushan

    Thanks to all who replyed. All I saw on sourceforge was a tar file defined
    as a source. Looking futher I found a zip file which had all the class
    files, samples, etc. Thanks again Ben...

+ Reply to Thread