Word docs - OS2

This is a discussion on Word docs - OS2 ; What's the best utility for displaying MS .doc files? Jim L via the eCS 1.15 version of OS/2 -- All Americans have the right to free speech. A few should even use it....

  1. Word docs

    --
    All Americans have the right to free speech. A few should even use it.

  2. Re: Word docs

    On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 00:55:40 UTC, inkleputDEL@ETEisp.com wrote:

    > What's the best utility for displaying MS .doc files?

    If all you want to do is display them, there is a *free* Microsoft
    program that runs in WINOS2: wordview.exe.

    I forget where I got it; somewhere on a microsoft web site. If you
    can't find it I can email you a copy (2.3 MB). I believe it's good
    thru Word97. There's also a program called antiword that you should
    be able to find on Hobbes.

    --
    John Varela
    Trade OLD lamps for NEW for email

  3. Re: Word docs

    "John Varela" said:

    >> What's the best utility for displaying MS .doc files?

    >If all you want to do is display them, there is a *free* Microsoft
    >program that runs in WINOS2: wordview.exe.

    Command line or some kind of UI?

    Jim L via the eCS 1.15 version of OS/2

    --
    All Americans have the right to free speech. A few should even use it.

  4. Re: Word docs

    Sir:

    inkleputDEL@ETEisp.com wrote:
    > What's the best utility for displaying MS .doc files?

    Antiword will convert those *.doc files into text files that you can
    view with the system editor. 'antiword somefile.doc>somefile.txt' at
    the command line.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  5. Re: Word docs

    Here in comp.os.os2.apps, inkleputDEL@ETEisp.com spake unto us, saying:

    >"John Varela" said:
    >
    >>> What's the best utility for displaying MS .doc files?

    >>If all you want to do is display them, there is a *free* Microsoft
    >>program that runs in WINOS2: wordview.exe.

    >Command line or some kind of UI?

    It's a 16-bit Windows program, and it's available here on Hobbes:

    http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/windows/wdvw9716.zip

    The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

  6. Re: Word docs

    inkleputDEL@ETEisp.com wrote:
    > What's the best utility for displaying MS .doc files?

    MS Word.
    OpenOffice.

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

  7. Re: Word docs

    On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 00:55:40 UTC, inkleputDEL@ETEisp.com wrote:

    > What's the best utility for displaying MS .doc files?

    OpenOffice 1.1.4 or newer

    --
    Tschau/Bye
    Herbert

    eComStation 1.2 Deutsch ist da!

  8. Re: Word docs

    On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 02:20:44 +0000, John Varela wrote:

    > On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 00:55:40 UTC, inkleputDEL@ETEisp.com wrote:
    >
    >> What's the best utility for displaying MS .doc files?

    > If all you want to do is display them, there is a *free* Microsoft
    > program that runs in WINOS2: wordview.exe.
    >
    > I forget where I got it; somewhere on a microsoft web site. If you
    > can't find it I can email you a copy (2.3 MB). I believe it's good
    > thru Word97. There's also a program called antiword that you should
    > be able to find on Hobbes.

    Wordview works great. Available at Hobbes it seems to be able to load
    just about everything I've thrown at it. Have had no real problems reading
    some documents made with later versions of Word but your mileage may
    vary.... For Powerpoint files try ppview also at Hobbes.

    regards,

    Paul.

+ Reply to Thread