Synchronizing drives - OS2

This is a discussion on Synchronizing drives - OS2 ; I am going to need to synchronize a drive on a new server with an old server on Wednesday. I copied the drive from the old server Friday, now I need to synchronize the copy before replacing the old server ...

  1. Synchronizing drives

    I am going to need to synchronize a drive on a new server with an old
    server on Wednesday. I copied the drive from the old server Friday, now I
    need to synchronize the copy before replacing the old server by the new
    one. The drive has over 500 directories and 80,000 files, so it is not
    reasonable to do so at a directory level.

    I have a copy of FC/2, but while I can use this to spot files added after
    the copy it will be difficult to spot other changes. Anyone have a
    suggestion for a tool to accomplish this?

    I should note that although I am an OS/2 user this server is Win2000, so I
    need a tool that will run there. I have a copy of FC/W and will use it
    for part of the job, but I suspect I am going to need more to do the job
    properly.

    Simply copying the drive again is impractical, as it took 3 hours to do
    the original copy.

    -- Dave
    dhdurgeeverizonnet

  2. Re: Synchronizing drives

    me@privacy.net wrote:
    > I am going to need to synchronize a drive on a new server with an old
    > server on Wednesday. I copied the drive from the old server Friday, now I
    > need to synchronize the copy before replacing the old server by the new
    > one. The drive has over 500 directories and 80,000 files, so it is not
    > reasonable to do so at a directory level.
    >
    > I have a copy of FC/2, but while I can use this to spot files added after
    > the copy it will be difficult to spot other changes. Anyone have a
    > suggestion for a tool to accomplish this?

    Try dsync. (REXX-script http://www.maazl.de/project/misc/dsync.html)

    I used it already to synchronize some millions of files. Of course, this
    took hours (and a lot of memory), too.

    Syntax:

    dsync old_path new_path /s /y2 /d >result.log 2>&1

    tail -f result.log will show you roughly where you are.

    However, be very careful. This WILL synchronize the second tree, even if
    you accidently got the wrong path...

    I recommend to do a read-only operation first:

    dsync old_path new_path /s >result.log 2>&1

    This will show what is going to happen. You can cancel it, if you think
    it is OK. Unfortunately it will take a while before the first output
    comes, because it has to scan both trees first.

    The version on the homepage does not reasonable synchronize folders and
    especially not their EAs. Mail me, if you need a newer release. Please
    use the address on the homepage above. I will not read mail replies to
    this posting.

    But you are talking about a server, don't you?. What about security?
    Dsync will not copy any security information.

    Marcel

  3. Re: Synchronizing drives

    me@privacy.net wrote:

    > I am going to need to synchronize a drive on a new server with an old
    > server on Wednesday. I copied the drive from the old server Friday, now I
    > need to synchronize the copy before replacing the old server by the new
    > one. The drive has over 500 directories and 80,000 files, so it is not
    > reasonable to do so at a directory level.
    >
    > I have a copy of FC/2, but while I can use this to spot files added after
    > the copy it will be difficult to spot other changes. Anyone have a
    > suggestion for a tool to accomplish this?
    >
    > I should note that although I am an OS/2 user this server is Win2000, so I
    > need a tool that will run there. I have a copy of FC/W and will use it
    > for part of the job, but I suspect I am going to need more to do the job
    > properly.
    >
    > Simply copying the drive again is impractical, as it took 3 hours to do
    > the original copy.
    >
    > -- Dave
    > dhdurgeeverizonnet

    I ma not Familiar with FC/2 or FC/W.. Sorry...

    So you need to copy all the files that have been Added or Changed on the
    Old server to the New Server since last Friday??? None of the Files
    are Operating System Files??? (very much harder to do)

    Note that you can easily copy the Added or Changed files and or
    Directories, but Deleted Files and Directories are Much Harder... And
    the OS Files (e.g. C:\WINNT\*) are the Hardest, since they get changed
    often, and are Interdependent with each other.

    I assume that you can MAP the Drive on the New Server to the Old Server,
    or Vice versa???

    Lets say the the OLD Server Drive is 'H:', and the New Servers Drive is
    MAPPED (SHARED) as 'M:'. All Added or Changed Files or Directories on
    Drive 'H:' need to be copied to Drive 'M:'.

    I would recommend, XCOPY, or 4NT (or 4OS2) or Ztree (for Windows or OS/2).

    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    So the "cheap solution" is XCOPY, since it comes with the OS...

    C:\xcopy /?
    Copies files and directory trees.

    XCOPY source [destination] [/A | /M] [/D[:date]] [/P] [/S [/E]] [/V] [/W]
    [/C] [/I] [/Q] [/F] [/L] [/H] [/R] [/T] [/U]
    [/K] [/N] [/O] [/X] [/Y] [/-Y] [/Z]
    [/EXCLUDE:file1[+file2][+file3]...]

    source Specifies the file(s) to copy.
    destination Specifies the location and/or name of new files.
    /A Copies only files with the archive attribute set,
    doesn't change the attribute.
    /M Copies only files with the archive attribute set,
    turns off the archive attribute.
    /D:m-d-y Copies files changed on or after the specified date.
    If no date is given, copies only those files whose
    source time is newer than the destination time.
    /EXCLUDE:file1[+file2][+file3]...
    Specifies a list of files containing strings. When any
    of the
    strings match any part of the absolute path of the file
    to be
    copied, that file will be excluded from being copied. For
    example, specifying a string like \obj\ or .obj will exclude
    all files underneath the directory obj or all files with the
    .obj extension respectively.
    /P Prompts you before creating each destination file.
    /S Copies directories and subdirectories except empty ones.
    /E Copies directories and subdirectories, including empty ones.
    Same as /S /E. May be used to modify /T.
    /V Verifies each new file.
    /W Prompts you to press a key before copying.
    /C Continues copying even if errors occur.
    /I If destination does not exist and copying more than one
    file,
    assumes that destination must be a directory.
    /Q Does not display file names while copying.
    /F Displays full source and destination file names while
    copying.
    /L Displays files that would be copied.
    /H Copies hidden and system files also.
    /R Overwrites read-only files.
    /T Creates directory structure, but does not copy files.
    Does not
    include empty directories or subdirectories. /T /E includes
    empty directories and subdirectories.
    /U Copies only files that already exist in destination.
    /K Copies attributes. Normal Xcopy will reset read-only
    attributes.
    /N Copies using the generated short names.
    /O Copies file ownership and ACL information.
    /X Copies file audit settings (implies /O).
    /Y Suppresses prompting to confirm you want to overwrite an
    existing destination file.
    /-Y Causes prompting to confirm you want to overwrite an
    existing destination file.
    /Z Copies networked files in restartable mode.

    The switch /Y may be preset in the COPYCMD environment variable.
    This may be overridden with /-Y on the command line.

    Lots of choices there in XCOPY....

    Since you are copying Files and Directories you need:
    /S Copies directories and subdirectories except empty ones.
    /E Copies directories and subdirectories, including empty ones.

    Since you most likely did not "Clear the Archive Bit" when you copied
    the Files from the Old Serve to the New Server, the '/A' and '/M'
    Command Line parameters won't help us.

    The DATE option should work fine....
    /D:m-d-y Copies files changed on or after the specified date.
    If no date is given, copies only those files whose
    source time is newer than the destination time.

    I would guess that File Ownership and Access Control List (ACL) is
    important.

    /O Copies file ownership and ACL information.
    /X Copies file audit settings (implies /O).

    Also you might need these to get Hidden and System files that have been
    modified since the Mass Copy last Friday, but on a Standard Data Drive,
    it is not very likely..

    /H Copies hidden and system files also.
    /R Overwrites read-only files.
    /K Copies attributes. Normal Xcopy will reset read-only
    attributes.

    IF you are "paranoid", you might want to add..

    /V Verifies each new file.

    So your command would be :
    C:\XCOPY H:\ M:\ /D:1-6-2006 /S /E /V /H /R /K /O /X
    (using just '/D' should work as well, because it will only copy Source
    files newer than the Target files).

    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    4NT / 4OS2

    COPY [/A:[[-]rhsad] /C /E /H /I"text" /K /L /M /N /P /Q /R /S /T /U /V
    /X /Z] [@file] source [+] ... [/A /B] destination [/A/B]

    source: A file or list of files or a device to copy from.

    destination: A file, directory, or device to copy to.

    @file: A text file containing the names of the source files, one per
    line (see @file lists for details).

    /A(SCII) /N(othing)

    /A: (Attribute select) /P(rompt)

    /B(inary) /Q(uiet)

    /C(hanged) /R(eplace)

    /E (No error messages) /S(ubdirectories)

    /G (display % completion) /T(otals)

    /H(idden) /U(pdate)

    /I"text" (match description) /V(erify)

    /K(eep attributes) /X (clear archive)

    /L (ASCII FTP transfer) /Z (overwrite)

    /M(odified)

    So your command would be :
    COPY /A:+r+h+s /B /C /H /K /M /S /U /V H:\ M:\

    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

    Ztree ...

    Alt-Mirror - Create a mirror of the current branch by copying all
    logged
    subdirectories in the branch, including directory
    attributes, empty directories and all logged files. By
    default this will replace only those files in the target
    branch that are older than the source. The destination
    directories are created if they do not exist, but existing
    directories and files in the destination that do not exist
    in the source are not deleted. ZTreeWin first prompts for
    the destination path to which the source path will be
    copied. (See section 2.1 'Standard Operation Keys' for the
    common keys and options available at all input lines). Use
    the F4 key to choose to be prompted later for file-replace
    options other than Older. Use the F5 and F6 keys to add,
    remove or keep the Read-only and Archive attributes for the
    new copy of the files and directories. Press Enter to
    accept the destination path. If not mirroring the root
    directory, you will then get an additional prompt to choose
    duplicating the Full, Current or Relative paths. (The Full
    path is always duplicated from the root directory). Press
    Enter to accept the path option. If F4 was used at the
    destination prompt, you will then be asked whether you want
    to automatically replace existing files. Press F2 to
    choose replacing Read-only, System and Hidden (RSH) files,
    and choose Yes, No, Older or neVer as the replace option to
    begin executing the command. (See section 3.2 'Copying and
    Moving Directories' for more detailed description of the
    prompts and options for copying directories, and see
    Alt-Copy on the File menu described in section 2.7 for an
    alternative to Alt-Mirror).
    NOTE: In order to mirror all the files and directories
    in an entire branch, it must be completely logged.
    Directories and files will not be copied if they
    are not logged.

    Log Drive 'H:' ('L'->'H')
    Highlighting the Root Directory of 'H:', Expand ALL Branches ('*')
    Mirror the Drive, starting with the Root, which should still be
    highlighted ('ALT-M')
    Enter the Target Path on Drive 'M' ('M' -> ':' -> '')
    Select Mirror Options with 'F4', 'F5, and 'F6' ('F4' or 'F5 or 'F6')
    Press Enter to Start the Mirror ('')

    Any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.....

    MarkO, OS/2 users since JUN-1993, OS/2 2.10

+ Reply to Thread