Leech and SCSI CD-ROMS - OS2

This is a discussion on Leech and SCSI CD-ROMS - OS2 ; Hi Folks, I have been trying to use CD2MP3 with leech and gogo to, well, do the obvious thing. It worked fine for a bit on my desktop system, but now doesn't: as soon as leech starts it reports an ...

  1. Leech and SCSI CD-ROMS

    Hi Folks,

    I have been trying to use CD2MP3 with leech and gogo to, well, do the
    obvious thing.

    It worked fine for a bit on my desktop system, but now doesn't: as
    soon as leech starts it reports an error (the drive doesn't even spin
    up) and the drive is then locked out of use until I power-cycle the
    entire system. This has happened with three different drive S's:
    HP/Toshiba 8x (on which thigs were fine for ages), Plextor 40x,
    HP/Plextor 32x. It does exactly the same if I try drive T: which is a
    Yamaha CDRW. All SCSI, running through an Adaptec 2940UW.

    I zipped up the cd2mp3 director, transferred it to my laptop and all
    worked beautifully.

    I can't for the life of me think what I have done to cause the problem
    - has anyone any bright ideas?

    Ian
    --

  2. Re: Leech and SCSI CD-ROMS

    Sir:

    Ian Johnston wrote:
    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > I have been trying to use CD2MP3 with leech and gogo to, well, do the
    > obvious thing.
    >
    > It worked fine for a bit on my desktop system, but now doesn't: as
    > soon as leech starts it reports an error (the drive doesn't even spin
    > up) and the drive is then locked out of use until I power-cycle the
    > entire system. This has happened with three different drive S's:
    > HP/Toshiba 8x (on which thigs were fine for ages), Plextor 40x,
    > HP/Plextor 32x. It does exactly the same if I try drive T: which is a
    > Yamaha CDRW. All SCSI, running through an Adaptec 2940UW.
    >
    > I zipped up the cd2mp3 director, transferred it to my laptop and all
    > worked beautifully.
    >
    > I can't for the life of me think what I have done to cause the
    > problem - has anyone any bright ideas?

    Any chance that scanbus is not finding the drives?

    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  3. Re: Leech and SCSI CD-ROMS

    Hi Ian

    Ian Johnston wrote:
    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > I have been trying to use CD2MP3 with leech and gogo to, well, do the
    > obvious thing.
    >
    > It worked fine for a bit on my desktop system, but now doesn't: as
    > soon as leech starts it reports an error (the drive doesn't even spin
    > up)

    Sounds like there is no connection between the software and the CD drives.

    I do not use cd2mp3 myself - no tolerance of mp3 "sound" - so have no
    idea on how the software works but suspect something wrong in the settings.

    and the drive is then locked out of use until I power-cycle the
    > entire system. This has happened with three different drive S's:
    > HP/Toshiba 8x (on which thigs were fine for ages), Plextor 40x,
    > HP/Plextor 32x. It does exactly the same if I try drive T: which is a
    > Yamaha CDRW. All SCSI, running through an Adaptec 2940UW.
    >
    > I zipped up the cd2mp3 director, transferred it to my laptop and all
    > worked beautifully.
    >
    > I can't for the life of me think what I have done to cause the problem
    > - has anyone any bright ideas?
    >
    > Ian

    At a guess the scsi bus/device id(s) have gone missing so the software
    is not seeing the drives.

    Regards

    Pete

  4. Re: Leech and SCSI CD-ROMS

    On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 19:10:44 UTC, "Ian Johnston"
    wrote:

    > I have been trying to use CD2MP3 with leech and gogo to, well, do the
    > obvious thing.

    I have four rippers "installed" in CD2MP3, but I generally use JCDread2
    as my 1st choice.

    > It worked fine for a bit on my desktop system, but now doesn't: as
    > soon as leech starts it reports an error (the drive doesn't even spin
    > up) and the drive is then locked out of use until I power-cycle the
    > entire system. This has happened with three different drive S's:
    > HP/Toshiba 8x (on which thigs were fine for ages), Plextor 40x,
    > HP/Plextor 32x. It does exactly the same if I try drive T: which is a
    > Yamaha CDRW. All SCSI, running through an Adaptec 2940UW.

    All SCSI here. I've had pretty much that same symptom when:

    * A CD drive has crapped -- three bad Plextor SCSIs in five years has
    finally weaned me off of them; they were my top choice for the previous
    decade; A Toshiba M1410 is now giving me only about 10 minutes play
    time on burned DVDs before giving read errors (off to eBay for another
    one!).

    * Mixed CDs and SCA HDDs on the same bus. I have two 2940s in this box
    now, and though my antique Mustek A3 scanner happily coexists at the end
    of a 6' external cable with two fast HDDs, the CDs live on the other HA,
    and that's worked best over the past two years.

    The usual suspects apply: cable length over-spec has caught me more
    times than I'll admit. Failing connectors (I just pulled the cover off
    the W98SE box here for its annual vacuuming: its IBM SCSI HDD starts
    powering down annually until I go in and disconnect/reconnect all the
    cables, then it's good for another year. Sigh). Termination of course.
    And mixed 8-bit & 16-bit devices on the same bus. In theory it works,
    in practice I've often had to have them both have their own HA.

    [Unusual situation 1497: I wrongly put a DVD into my Yamaha SCSI CD
    burner yesterday, and on reboot, OS/2 didn't assign it a drive letter.
    Powered down, rebooted twice, HA says OK, FS says OK, but I guess
    CDROM.DMD or whatever didn't -- I wasn't watching. No drive letter.
    Removed DVD from CD drive, reboot, drive letter back. Weird.]

    --
    Regards,
    Al S.

  5. Re: Leech and SCSI CD-ROMS

    :
    : Sounds like there is no connection between the software and the CD drives.
    :
    : I do not use cd2mp3 myself - no tolerance of mp3 "sound" - so have no
    : idea on how the software works but suspect something wrong in the settings.

    There is definitely some connection to the drive, because cd2mp3 can
    get a list of tracks just fine, and there is definitely some
    connection between leech and the drives, because it locks them out of
    use....

    Ian

  6. Re: Leech and SCSI CD-ROMS

    On Sun, 8 Jan 2006 03:46:18 UTC, "Al Savage"
    wrote:

    : [Unusual situation 1497: I wrongly put a DVD into my Yamaha SCSI CD
    : burner yesterday, and on reboot, OS/2 didn't assign it a drive letter.
    : Powered down, rebooted twice, HA says OK, FS says OK, but I guess
    : CDROM.DMD or whatever didn't -- I wasn't watching. No drive letter.
    : Removed DVD from CD drive, reboot, drive letter back. Weird.]

    I have discovered that eCS never assigns a drive letter to either of
    my SCSI CD drives if there is an audio CD in them at boot.

    Ian

    --

  7. Re: Leech and SCSI CD-ROMS

    wrote:

    : All SCSI here. I've had pretty much that same symptom when:
    :
    : * A CD drive has crapped -- three bad Plextor SCSIs in five years has
    : finally weaned me off of them; they were my top choice for the previous
    : decade; A Toshiba M1410 is now giving me only about 10 minutes play
    : time on burned DVDs before giving read errors (off to eBay for another
    : one!).

    It's happened on four different drives now, all of which have worked
    fine with other applications, including (for the CDRW) cdrecord.

    : * Mixed CDs and SCA HDDs on the same bus. I have two 2940s in this box
    : now, and though my antique Mustek A3 scanner happily coexists at the end
    : of a 6' external cable with two fast HDDs, the CDs live on the other HA,
    : and that's worked best over the past two years.

    The CD drives are both on the 50 pin bus and the HDD is on the 68 pin
    one. Termination is set OK.

    All most odd, particularly because it worked absolutely fine for ages.

    Ian

  8. Re: Leech and SCSI CD-ROMS

    On Sun, 8 Jan 2006 08:38:29 UTC, "Ian Johnston"
    wrote:

    > All most odd, particularly because it worked absolutely fine for ages.

    > I zipped up the cd2mp3 director, transferred it to my laptop and all
    > worked beautifully.

    Did you transfer Leech too? I ask, because I keep my rippers in a
    different tree than CD2MP3PM. Maybe Leech has gotten corrupted.

    Again, I use JCDread2 as my first choice. It has given me less trouble
    than Leech & Alfons.

    --
    Regards,
    Al S.

  9. Re: Leech and SCSI CD-ROMS

    : wrote:
    :
    : > All most odd, particularly because it worked absolutely fine for ages.
    :
    : > I zipped up the cd2mp3 director, transferred it to my laptop and all
    : > worked beautifully.
    :
    : Did you transfer Leech too? I ask, because I keep my rippers in a
    : different tree than CD2MP3PM. Maybe Leech has gotten corrupted.

    Sorry, should have said - yes, it was transferred too.

    : Again, I use JCDread2 as my first choice. It has given me less trouble
    : than Leech & Alfons.

    I have downloaded it and shall investigate. Not just this moment,
    though, as I need the CD roms for a bit ...

    Ian

  10. Re: Leech and SCSI CD-ROMS

    wrote:

    > The CD drives are both on the 50 pin bus and the HDD is on the 68 pin
    > one. Termination is set OK.

    Check the lengh of the cable that holds the 50pin drives and the
    length of the cable that holds the 68pin drives. Add the length
    together + length of any external SCSI cable. Be sure that the lenth'
    together does NOT exceed 1.50m - not a single mm. When the added lengh
    is only 1mm longer than 1m and 50cm then you've found the cause for
    yor problem. Some years ago I had to shoren the 50pin cable from able
    to hold 5 devices to 3 devices (CDR+burner+4GB HD) and the 68 pin
    cable from 3 device places to 2 and even 2 cm from the end the active
    terminator sits to get all devices (1 SCSI scanner extern + 2 SCSI II
    HDs + CDR + burner + 2 U2W HDs working, giving a total cable lengh of
    1m 49cm. I had to do this to get the second U2W HD integrated into the
    system. Pure shortening was easy: cutting 2 connectors from the cable,
    but winning another 2 cm was hard: opening any living connector on the
    68pin cable and moving them 2 cm to give a free end of 2 cmd, replace
    connecters and cutting the last open 2cm from the cable.

    --
    Tschau/Bye
    Herbert

    eComStation 1.2 Deutsch ist da!