From Mozilla to SeaMonkey (Re: Mozilla development ended.) - OS2

This is a discussion on From Mozilla to SeaMonkey (Re: Mozilla development ended.) - OS2 ; On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 16:06:29 -0500, inkleputDEL@ETEisp.com wrote: > According to the text, 3 years old. But I still had never heard it > before. Of course I read only the suibject lines of most news articles, > and ...

  1. From Mozilla to SeaMonkey (Re: Mozilla development ended.)

    On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 16:06:29 -0500, inkleputDEL@ETEisp.com wrote:
    > According to the text, 3 years old. But I still had never heard it
    > before. Of course I read only the suibject lines of most news articles,
    > and I never saw anything with a subject line anything like that above.
    > Thinking I might not be alone in that I posted the old news. I had
    > never heard ANYTHING about Mozilla being scrapped before. I've seen the
    > other names around, but never the reason.

    Mozilla isn't really being scrapped; just handed over to a nominally
    different development group (although I think many if not most of the
    actual programmers are the same).

    The name "SeaMonkey" isn't new either; it's been the development codename
    for the Mozilla suite for years.

    Keep in mind that the Mozilla project was always intended as a technology
    platform, not a software product. The Mozilla Foundation** is the
    coordinating body that maintains this platform. They developed the
    Mozilla suite as a reference application to demonstrate the technology; it
    was never considered a mass-market product in and of itself. The
    assumption was that third parties (hobbyist, commercial, and/or corporate)
    would create their own products... as indeed is happening to a certain
    extent.

    The Mozilla Foundation also provides hosting and various coordination
    facilities for contributing development groups who use the technology to
    create applications ("projects") -- see http://www.mozilla.org/projects/
    for more information.

    This is kind of an oversimplification; but basically, the Mozilla
    Foundation has decided that it's time to enter the mass-market software
    business. To this end, they've taken over direct responsibility for
    Firefox and Thunderbird (changing them from contributed "projects" to
    official Mozilla Foundation "products"), and is marketing them
    aggressively.

    As a result, they no longer have need of a reference application like the
    Mozilla suite just to publish the technology. So the Mozilla suite is
    being converted into a "project" like any other, and legally handed off to
    a development group. "SeaMonkey" has been adopted as the formal name for
    the product.

    Hopefully people who are closer to the action can correct me if I'm guilty
    of any inaccuracies, but I think that's a reasonably concise explanation.

    ** I'm considering Mozilla.org and the Mozilla Foundation as equivalent for
    the purposes of this explanation, although I'm not sure if that's
    technically accurate in the legal sense.

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

    Remove hat to reply (reply-to address).

  2. Re: From Mozilla to SeaMonkey (Re: Mozilla development ended.)

    Alex Taylor said:

    >Hopefully people who are closer to the action can correct me if I'm
    >guilty of any inaccuracies, but I think that's a reasonably concise
    >explanation.

    I hope you're right. It's sure more readable than all the stuff I read
    a couple evenings ago at Mozilla.

    Jim L via the eCS 1.15 version of OS/2

    --
    All Americans have the right to free speech. A few should even use it.

  3. Re: From Mozilla to SeaMonkey (Re: Mozilla development ended.)

    Alex Taylor said:

    >Keep in mind that the Mozilla project was always intended as a
    >technology platform, not a software product.

    >They developed the Mozilla suite as a reference application to
    >demonstrate the technology;

    I wonder how many actual OS/2-eCS users have the slightest clue about
    this.

    Jim L via the eCS 1.15 version of OS/2

    --
    All Americans have the right to free speech. A few should even use it.

  4. Re: From Mozilla to SeaMonkey

    Here in comp.os.os2.apps, inkleputDEL@ETEisp.com spake unto us, saying:

    >I wonder how many actual OS/2-eCS users have the slightest clue about
    >this.

    Those of us who follow the

    netscape.public.mozilla.os2

    newsgroup probably do. :-)