Chinese User asks How? - OS2

This is a discussion on Chinese User asks How? - OS2 ; Was contacted by a new OS/2 user today with limited English skills. He is using OS/2 Warp 4.52 (I would imagine the English release) and is fine with it except for the browser. He found the option to use Traditional ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Chinese User asks How?

  1. Chinese User asks How?

    Was contacted by a new OS/2 user today with limited English skills. He is
    using OS/2 Warp 4.52 (I would imagine the English release) and is fine
    with it except for the browser.

    He found the option to use Traditional Chinese in the Mozilla Menu and
    has selected it but when he gets to a website with Chinese writing all he
    sees are little boxes.

    I know nothing about the fundamentals of using OS/2 in any other
    language other than OS/2.

    My first thought was that he might need the Chinese version of OS/2.
    Does that sound right?

    If he can use the English release and has missed an option or switch
    in OS/2, can someone enlighten me so I can pass this along to him?

    Might be good to encourage the use of OS/2 throughout China, huh?

    Thanks.

    --
    Dr. Timothy Martin, The Official and Only OS/2 Guy
    Warp City Web Site - http://www.warpcity.com
    email: OS2Guy@Gmail.com OR eCSGuy@Gmail.com

  2. Re: Chinese User asks How?

    The OS/2 Guy schreef:
    > Was contacted by a new OS/2 user today with limited English skills. He is
    > using OS/2 Warp 4.52 (I would imagine the English release) and is fine
    > with it except for the browser.
    >
    > He found the option to use Traditional Chinese in the Mozilla Menu and
    > has selected it but when he gets to a website with Chinese writing all he
    > sees are little boxes.


    In OS/2 Warp 4.52 UniCode fonts are not installed by default, its a
    option you have to select IIRC.
    he should install these fonts then he will be able to see the characters
    correctly.

    > I know nothing about the fundamentals of using OS/2 in any other
    > language other than OS/2.
    >
    > My first thought was that he might need the Chinese version of OS/2.
    > Does that sound right?


    There is a Traditional Chinese eComStation 1.2r beta available for
    public testing, which works just fine with Chinese sites.

    http://photo.xuite.net/alexylee/465794/25.jpg

    > If he can use the English release and has missed an option or switch
    > in OS/2, can someone enlighten me so I can pass this along to him?


    See above

    > Might be good to encourage the use of OS/2 throughout China, huh?


    Bart

  3. Re: Chinese User asks How?

    There is Chinese eComStation:
    * http://photo.xuite.net/alexylee/465794
    * http://www.ecomstation.com/gallery

    There are: english, german, russian, dutch, italian and chinese
    eComStation versions. Dosenz of translators are participating in this
    hard process.

    This is fantastic! People from different countries work on common task.
    Look at the map of eComStation users: http://frappr.com/ecomstation


  4. Re: Chinese User asks How?

    William R. Walsh wrote:
    > Usually when any operating system has this problem (or, more appropriately,
    > any application running under it) the required display fonts are simply
    > missing.
    >
    > Sometimes they can be installed. I don't know for sure if OS/2 has
    > additional foreign (DBCS?) character set fonts available for it or not.
    > That's a question for someone who uses OS/2 more often than I do. (Which is
    > somewhat often--but it's not broken now and I'm not off to 'fix' it at the
    > moment.)
    >
    > William


    Thanks for the input William. I figured it had to be a needed font
    option or possibly a change to the Chinese release of OS/2. The
    UniCode fonts seem to be the key and the user emailed me earlier to say
    it is now fixed by way of font selection in the browser.

    I know what you mean about 'if it's not broken'. Once a month I use
    DFSee to clone my present system over to another identical hard drive
    'just in case' something happens. The only time I was ever thankful
    for having the backup was after installing the wrong kernel (for SMP)
    and nothing I did to boot up worked. I quick change of hard drive and
    I was back to normal and I could quickly clone the working system over
    the non-working system. I love DFSee for that. Years ago I'd have to
    zip or rar up a particular drive and boot from CD along with another
    ten steps before I had a working system.

    Thanks again!

    --
    Dr. Timothy Martin, The Official and Only OS/2 Guy
    Warp City Web Site - http://www.warpcity.com
    email: OS2Guy@Gmail.com OR eCSGuy@Gmail.com


  5. Re: Chinese User asks How?

    The OS/2 Guy wrote:

    >
    > Might be good to encourage the use of OS/2 throughout China, huh?


    Sure. Why not? The Traditional Chinese NLS of eComStation is in beta,
    will be ready soon. And what else can these users buy? Not OS/2 from IBM.
    >
    > Thanks.


    No. Thank you for promoting eComStation, again.

    Regards,
    Bob StJohn
    Serenity Systems International

  6. Re: Chinese User asks How?

    Bart van Leeuwen wrote:
    > The OS/2 Guy schreef:
    >
    >> Was contacted by a new OS/2 user today with limited English skills.
    >> He is
    >> using OS/2 Warp 4.52 (I would imagine the English release) and is fine
    >> with it except for the browser.
    >>
    >> He found the option to use Traditional Chinese in the Mozilla Menu and
    >> has selected it but when he gets to a website with Chinese writing all he
    >> sees are little boxes.

    >
    > In OS/2 Warp 4.52 UniCode fonts are not installed by default, its a
    > option you have to select IIRC.
    > he should install these fonts then he will be able to see the characters
    > correctly.


    Note: I heard back from him and he was able to find the proper Chinese
    font option in the browser.

    Question: If you don't install the UniCode fonts during the normal
    installation of OS/2 how do you go back and do it?

    >> I know nothing about the fundamentals of using OS/2 in any other
    >> language other than OS/2.
    >>
    >> My first thought was that he might need the Chinese version of OS/2.
    >> Does that sound right?

    >
    > There is a Traditional Chinese eComStation 1.2r beta available for
    > public testing, which works just fine with Chinese sites.
    >
    > http://photo.xuite.net/alexylee/465794/25.jpg


    He can get the Traditional Chinese version of OS/2, if needed. He has
    no reason to step down from the traditional OS/2 product.

    >> If he can use the English release and has missed an option or switch
    >> in OS/2, can someone enlighten me so I can pass this along to him?

    >
    > See above
    >
    >> Might be good to encourage the use of OS/2 throughout China, huh?

    >
    > Bart


    Thanks Bart for taking the time to respond. Many people are intimated
    by the newsgroups or just don't want to try the option for various
    reasons. I know this year I've turned on at least eight people to OS/2
    and they all use it, some pretty exclusively for 'Net work, but
    despite my urging to 'ask in the newsgroups' I've never seen them here.
    I'm sure it is easier to email me and ask and when it is beyond my
    normal knowledge I have no problem 'fronting' with a post to the
    newsgroups on their behalf. When I see the answer I forward it on to
    them.

    --
    Dr. Timothy Martin, The Official and Only OS/2 Guy
    Warp City Web Site - http://www.warpcity.com
    email: OS2Guy@Gmail.com OR eCSGuy@Gmail.com


  7. Re: Chinese User asks How?

    Bob St.John wrote:
    > The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> Might be good to encourage the use of OS/2 throughout China, huh?

    >
    > Sure. Why not? The Traditional Chinese NLS of eComStation is in beta,
    > will be ready soon. And what else can these users buy? Not OS/2 from IBM.


    They don't have to. China is the largest pirater of software in the
    world. OS/2 Warp 4.52 (Chinese and English) can be purchased for as
    little as five cents throughout China. eComStation, otoh, is no where
    to be found other than via P2P...

    That's gotta drive you nuts.

    --
    Dr. Timothy Martin, The Official and Only OS/2 Guy
    Warp City Web Site - http://www.warpcity.com
    email: OS2Guy@Gmail.com OR eCSGuy@Gmail.com


  8. Re: Chinese User asks How?

    Bob St.John wrote:
    > The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> Might be good to encourage the use of OS/2 throughout China, huh?

    >
    > Sure. Why not? The Traditional Chinese NLS of eComStation is in beta,
    > will be ready soon. And what else can these users buy? Not OS/2 from IBM.


    They don't have to. China is the largest pirater of software in the
    world. OS/2 Warp 4.52 (Chinese and English) can be purchased for as
    little as five cents throughout China. eComStation, otoh, is no where
    to be found other than via P2P...

    That's gotta drive you nuts.

    --
    Dr. Timothy Martin, The Official and Only OS/2 Guy
    Warp City Web Site - http://www.warpcity.com
    email: OS2Guy@Gmail.com OR eCSGuy@Gmail.com


  9. Re: Chinese User asks How?

    The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    > Bob St.John wrote:
    >
    >> The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>Might be good to encourage the use of OS/2 throughout China, huh?

    >>
    >>Sure. Why not? The Traditional Chinese NLS of eComStation is in beta,
    >>will be ready soon. And what else can these users buy? Not OS/2 from IBM.

    >
    >
    > They don't have to. China is the largest pirater of software in the
    > world. OS/2 Warp 4.52 (Chinese and English) can be purchased for as
    > little as five cents throughout China. eComStation, otoh, is no where
    > to be found other than via P2P...
    >
    > That's gotta drive you nuts.


    As the world, except demonstrably you, is aware, China is cracking down
    on IP theft as a condition of on-going international trade. And there
    has always been a good demand for eComStation, thus the beta. Looking
    forward to the business.

    But I also believe that the PRC will eventually launch their own Linux
    based OS. This is a group which believes in control and would not be
    eager to relinquish that control to various vendors.

    Regards,
    Bob St.John
    Serenity Systems International

  10. Re: Chinese User asks How?

    Bob St.John wrote:
    > The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    >
    >> Bob St.John wrote:
    >>
    >>> The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>> Might be good to encourage the use of OS/2 throughout China, huh?
    >>>
    >>> Sure. Why not? The Traditional Chinese NLS of eComStation is in beta,
    >>> will be ready soon. And what else can these users buy? Not OS/2 from
    >>> IBM.

    >>
    >> They don't have to. China is the largest pirater of software in the
    >> world. OS/2 Warp 4.52 (Chinese and English) can be purchased for as
    >> little as five cents throughout China. eComStation, otoh, is no where
    >> to be found other than via P2P...
    >>
    >> That's gotta drive you nuts.

    >
    > As the world, except demonstrably you, is aware, China is cracking down
    > on IP theft as a condition of on-going international trade. And there
    > has always been a good demand for eComStation, thus the beta. Looking
    > forward to the business.


    As the world, excepty demonstrably you, knows, China has a population
    so big that it is and will remain entirely impossible for China to stop
    the sale of black market goods. There has never been a good demand for
    eComStation in the U.S. much less in China where absolutely no one
    there has ever seen or used it, including the beta. eCS is a piece of
    crap and will always be so.

    > But I also believe that the PRC will eventually launch their own Linux
    > based OS. This is a group which believes in control and would not be
    > eager to relinquish that control to various vendors.


    And I believe eCS is a dead product despite your facetious claims
    otherwise. We can thank God for that.

    --
    Dr. Timothy Martin, The Official and Only OS/2 Guy
    Warp City Web Site - http://www.warpcity.com
    email: OS2Guy@Gmail.com OR eCSGuy@Gmail.com


  11. Re: Chinese User asks How?

    On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 08:44:36 UTC,  The OS/2 Guy  <";
    OS2Guy"@Gmail.com;> wrote:

    > Might be good to encourage the use of OS/2 throughout China, huh?


    If you get contacted again, make sure you relay those people to
    www.ecomstation.biz, as it is the only place they will be able to buy
    OS/2.

    Thanks for your support!

    --
    Luc Van Bogaert

    Via ProNews/2 & eComStation
    http://www.os2world.com/os2ecs

  12. Re: Chinese User asks How?

    William R. Walsh wrote:
    > Usually when any operating system has this problem (or, more appropriately,
    > any application running under it) the required display fonts are simply
    > missing.
    >
    > Sometimes they can be installed. I don't know for sure if OS/2 has
    > additional foreign (DBCS?) character set fonts available for it or not.
    > That's a question for someone who uses OS/2 more often than I do. (Which is
    > somewhat often--but it's not broken now and I'm not off to 'fix' it at the
    > moment.)
    >
    > William


    Thanks for the input William. I figured it had to be a needed font
    option or possibly a change to the Chinese release of OS/2. The
    UniCode fonts seem to be the key and the user emailed me earlier to say
    it is now fixed by way of font selection in the browser.

    I know what you mean about 'if it's not broken'. Once a month I use
    DFSee to clone my present system over to another identical hard drive
    'just in case' something happens. The only time I was ever thankful
    for having the backup was after installing the wrong kernel (for SMP)
    and nothing I did to boot up worked. I quick change of hard drive and
    I was back to normal and I could quickly clone the working system over
    the non-working system. I love DFSee for that. Years ago I'd have to
    zip or rar up a particular drive and boot from CD along with another
    ten steps before I had a working system.

    Thanks again!

    --
    Dr. Timothy Martin, The Official and Only OS/2 Guy
    Warp City Web Site - http://www.warpcity.com
    email: OS2Guy@Gmail.com OR eCSGuy@Gmail.com


  13. Re: Chinese User asks How?

    Bob St.John wrote:
    > The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> Might be good to encourage the use of OS/2 throughout China, huh?

    >
    > Sure. Why not? The Traditional Chinese NLS of eComStation is in beta,
    > will be ready soon. And what else can these users buy? Not OS/2 from IBM.


    They don't have to. China is the largest pirater of software in the
    world. OS/2 Warp 4.52 (Chinese and English) can be purchased for as
    little as five cents throughout China. eComStation, otoh, is no where
    to be found other than via P2P...

    That's gotta drive you nuts.

    --
    Dr. Timothy Martin, The Official and Only OS/2 Guy
    Warp City Web Site - http://www.warpcity.com
    email: OS2Guy@Gmail.com OR eCSGuy@Gmail.com


  14. Re: Chinese User asks How?

    Bob St.John wrote:
    > The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> Might be good to encourage the use of OS/2 throughout China, huh?

    >
    > Sure. Why not? The Traditional Chinese NLS of eComStation is in beta,
    > will be ready soon. And what else can these users buy? Not OS/2 from IBM.


    They don't have to. China is the largest pirater of software in the
    world. OS/2 Warp 4.52 (Chinese and English) can be purchased for as
    little as five cents throughout China. eComStation, otoh, is no where
    to be found other than via P2P...

    That's gotta drive you nuts.

    --
    Dr. Timothy Martin, The Official and Only OS/2 Guy
    Warp City Web Site - http://www.warpcity.com
    email: OS2Guy@Gmail.com OR eCSGuy@Gmail.com


  15. Re: Chinese User asks How?

    The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    > Bob St.John wrote:
    >
    >> The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>Might be good to encourage the use of OS/2 throughout China, huh?

    >>
    >>Sure. Why not? The Traditional Chinese NLS of eComStation is in beta,
    >>will be ready soon. And what else can these users buy? Not OS/2 from IBM.

    >
    >
    > They don't have to. China is the largest pirater of software in the
    > world. OS/2 Warp 4.52 (Chinese and English) can be purchased for as
    > little as five cents throughout China. eComStation, otoh, is no where
    > to be found other than via P2P...
    >
    > That's gotta drive you nuts.


    As the world, except demonstrably you, is aware, China is cracking down
    on IP theft as a condition of on-going international trade. And there
    has always been a good demand for eComStation, thus the beta. Looking
    forward to the business.

    But I also believe that the PRC will eventually launch their own Linux
    based OS. This is a group which believes in control and would not be
    eager to relinquish that control to various vendors.

    Regards,
    Bob St.John
    Serenity Systems International

  16. Re: Chinese User asks How?

    Bob St.John wrote:
    > The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    >
    >> Bob St.John wrote:
    >>
    >>> The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>> Might be good to encourage the use of OS/2 throughout China, huh?
    >>>
    >>> Sure. Why not? The Traditional Chinese NLS of eComStation is in beta,
    >>> will be ready soon. And what else can these users buy? Not OS/2 from
    >>> IBM.

    >>
    >> They don't have to. China is the largest pirater of software in the
    >> world. OS/2 Warp 4.52 (Chinese and English) can be purchased for as
    >> little as five cents throughout China. eComStation, otoh, is no where
    >> to be found other than via P2P...
    >>
    >> That's gotta drive you nuts.

    >
    > As the world, except demonstrably you, is aware, China is cracking down
    > on IP theft as a condition of on-going international trade. And there
    > has always been a good demand for eComStation, thus the beta. Looking
    > forward to the business.


    As the world, excepty demonstrably you, knows, China has a population
    so big that it is and will remain entirely impossible for China to stop
    the sale of black market goods. There has never been a good demand for
    eComStation in the U.S. much less in China where absolutely no one
    there has ever seen or used it, including the beta. eCS is a piece of
    crap and will always be so.

    > But I also believe that the PRC will eventually launch their own Linux
    > based OS. This is a group which believes in control and would not be
    > eager to relinquish that control to various vendors.


    And I believe eCS is a dead product despite your facetious claims
    otherwise. We can thank God for that.

    --
    Dr. Timothy Martin, The Official and Only OS/2 Guy
    Warp City Web Site - http://www.warpcity.com
    email: OS2Guy@Gmail.com OR eCSGuy@Gmail.com


+ Reply to Thread