Re: Testicle stem cell harvest plan - OS2

This is a discussion on Re: Testicle stem cell harvest plan - OS2 ; MCP wrote: > http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7002828.stm > > A man's testicles might be a source of stem cells to help him fight serious > diseases, US scientists have shown. > They extracted early-stage sperm cells from mice, then turned them into > ...

  1. Re: Testicle stem cell harvest plan

    MCP wrote:
    > http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7002828.stm
    >
    > A man's testicles might be a source of stem cells to help him fight serious
    > diseases, US scientists have shown.
    > They extracted early-stage sperm cells from mice, then turned them into
    > cells capable of becoming different tissues.
    >
    > Writing in Nature, the Weill Cornell Medical College team said their work
    > might lead to treatments for illnesses such as Alzheimer's and diabetes.
    >
    > However, some doubt has been expressed on the willingness of men to undergo
    > the procedure to extract the cells.
    >
    > Stem cells are the body's "master cells" that, in theory, can become any
    > type of cell in the body.
    >
    > Embryo opposition
    >
    > An obvious source of these is from the human embryo, as unlike adult cells,
    > these have the potential to grow into any tissue type.
    >
    > However, ethical concerns over the use of embryos in medicine mean that
    > scientists are hunting for a source of easily-harvested adult cells which
    > could be coaxed into any variety of cell.
    >
    > Stem cells have already been extracted from mouse testicles - however, the
    > New York team is claiming a more reliable way to isolate and develop them,
    > increasing the potential for larger numbers to be produced successfully.
    >
    > The testicular cells do not need to be genetically "tweaked" to behave more
    > like embryonic stem cells, unlike other "adult stem cells" found elsewhere
    > in the body, say the scientists.
    >
    > Dr Shahin Rafii, who led the research, said: "It appears that these unique
    > specialized spermatogonial cells could be an easily obtained and manipulated
    > source of stem cells with exactly the same capability to form new tissues
    > that we see in embryonic stem cells.
    >
    > "For male patients, it could someday mean a readily available source of stem
    > cells that gets around ethical issues linked to embryonic stem cells.
    >
    > "It also avoids issues linked to tissue transplant rejection, since these
    > 'autologous stem cells' are derived from the patient's own body."
    >
    > Painful process
    >
    > He listed several illnesses which he hoped could be tackled using stem cell
    > technology, including Parkinson's Disease, Alzheimer's, stroke, diabetes and
    > even certain cancers.
    >
    > It is hoped that one day, implanting large quantities of stem cells into
    > tissue damaged by disease could prompt the body to replace it.
    >
    > Professor Colin McGuckin, a researcher in stem cell biology at the
    > University of Newcastle, said that several research teams around the world
    > were looking into the potential of the testicle as a stem cell source.
    >
    > He said: "At present, there is an awful lot of interest in this from
    > veterinary circles as a source of stem cells for animal use.
    >
    > "I can see more problems getting humans to agree to have this done, as it
    > would be a very painful procedure to have them extracted."

    Oh, no! Gonad's in trouble now!

  2. Re: Testicle stem cell harvest plan

    On Sep 21, 3:40 am, "Michael Baldwin, Bruce"
    wrote:
    > MCP wrote:
    > >http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7002828.stm

    > > A man's testicles might be a source of stem cells to help him fight serious
    > > diseases, US scientists have shown.
    > > They extracted early-stage sperm cells from mice, then turned them into
    > > cells capable of becoming different tissues.

    > > Writing in Nature, the Weill Cornell Medical College team said their work
    > > might lead to treatments for illnesses such as Alzheimer's and diabetes.

    > > However, some doubt has been expressed on the willingness of men to undergo
    > > the procedure to extract the cells.

    > > Stem cells are the body's "master cells" that, in theory, can become any
    > > type of cell in the body.

    > > Embryo opposition

    > > An obvious source of these is from the human embryo, as unlike adult cells,
    > > these have the potential to grow into any tissue type.

    > > However, ethical concerns over the use of embryos in medicine mean that
    > > scientists are hunting for a source of easily-harvested adult cells which
    > > could be coaxed into any variety of cell.

    > > Stem cells have already been extracted from mouse testicles - however, the
    > > New York team is claiming a more reliable way to isolate and develop them,
    > > increasing the potential for larger numbers to be produced successfully.

    > > The testicular cells do not need to be genetically "tweaked" to behave more
    > > like embryonic stem cells, unlike other "adult stem cells" found elsewhere
    > > in the body, say the scientists.

    > > Dr Shahin Rafii, who led the research, said: "It appears that these unique
    > > specialized spermatogonial cells could be an easily obtained and manipulated
    > > source of stem cells with exactly the same capability to form new tissues
    > > that we see in embryonic stem cells.

    > > "For male patients, it could someday mean a readily available source of stem
    > > cells that gets around ethical issues linked to embryonic stem cells.

    > > "It also avoids issues linked to tissue transplant rejection, since these
    > > 'autologous stem cells' are derived from the patient's own body."

    > > Painful process

    > > He listed several illnesses which he hoped could be tackled using stem cell
    > > technology, including Parkinson's Disease, Alzheimer's, stroke, diabetes and
    > > even certain cancers.

    > > It is hoped that one day, implanting large quantities of stem cells into
    > > tissue damaged by disease could prompt the body to replace it.

    > > Professor Colin McGuckin, a researcher in stem cell biology at the
    > > University of Newcastle, said that several research teams around the world
    > > were looking into the potential of the testicle as a stem cell source.

    > > He said: "At present, there is an awful lot of interest in this from
    > > veterinary circles as a source of stem cells for animal use.

    > > "I can see more problems getting humans to agree to have this done, as it
    > > would be a very painful procedure to have them extracted."

    > Oh, no! Gonad's in trouble now!

    They're obviously talking a lot of bollocks.

    Gonad

  3. Re: Testicle stem cell harvest plan

    On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 03:40:18 +0100, Michael Baldwin, Bruce wrote:

    > MCP wrote:
    >> http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7002828.stm
    >>
    >> A man's testicles might be a source of stem cells to help him fight serious
    >> diseases, US scientists have shown.
    >> They extracted early-stage sperm cells from mice, then turned them into
    >> cells capable of becoming different tissues.
    >>
    >> Writing in Nature, the Weill Cornell Medical College team said their work
    >> might lead to treatments for illnesses such as Alzheimer's and diabetes.
    >>
    >> However, some doubt has been expressed on the willingness of men to undergo
    >> the procedure to extract the cells.
    >>
    >> Stem cells are the body's "master cells" that, in theory, can become any
    >> type of cell in the body.
    >>
    >> Embryo opposition
    >>
    >> An obvious source of these is from the human embryo, as unlike adult cells,
    >> these have the potential to grow into any tissue type.
    >>
    >> However, ethical concerns over the use of embryos in medicine mean that
    >> scientists are hunting for a source of easily-harvested adult cells which
    >> could be coaxed into any variety of cell.

    Ethical arseholes, how are meant to progress without stuff like this?

    --
    This message has been brought to you by solar and wind power. Who needs the national grid?

    .82;;;;oooo33:
    ,bU: 3 oUUo
    .322, ;Mb ;2323o22bbZoo; ,:,;;:
    .oo; ,7ZbZ8ZZ77..@2.,, .o882: .7o, .,.:b.
    73o o7 o3oZ7ZR@ER7oo2UUbZ: 7EMNR@NH2 8.
    7Z3: 2:.2;o..bR3o,Z3 ,32 8MbbEZ, 3UMMU72; b2
    :E; .o3::73b8ENM22;RZ32ZZo;3.U, b2 ;H@33: . ;Z@R b:
    3N 8 .3Ub372E@N7@bo8bo733:ER ;M7 83. :E. ;M .b
    .H8 ;R; :URUb8ZbUNE8bZ2337U8: .EHR E.,Zo ZE 33
    ;, :M7 8E.RN. .3RMMMMMMMZ7 ;HMNoU, 2HN3 .NZ;H,
    7E77733RMb;7MobH. RMMMH8, .oNMMMU;E 7Mb 2MRH7
    Rb327, :3Z@MHER bM@o ,2UURb7ZMMM:M;8E; :NME,
    ..7UNMN3 2@M8. 8R: 78Rb3. @MMoMH3 .bMMMNU:
    3222338@MNMR; ;7 ,2HZo2H3;Z@Z, UMMEo ;3RNMM8.7ZN8,
    3E; ,2b83H7oUEE@MH2,,RMMH7Mb, .NMR, oRU3,ZMMMH. .ZHZ.
    HUZ; ;bNN3. :RMMMMo :RMMMR: ;HMb ;N8, .UMMHb, 2@8
    oUE7 ;@MMEUbNMMMH8 oHMMM2 ,8MMo 7R; 3H@87 .8U
    3NR, 2MMMMMMM2 :Z; ,oUNHHHNMMMM33RZ.:2@Ho ,, 38
    :bHb, ,UNMMMMMb:;, .72U@HNMMMMHHNMMMN@UZ7 ,7ooooH,
    2H3 .7UHMMMR;bo .;73ZZ@MMM7 .3bUZ237:,,,
    oNo ZEMN73UZ7 EMMMRUUU@HR3.
    bN, ;RMNU22b827. oNNoZZ3;
    :@H3, bNM@UEU88b37.. bM; 3332b7
    738bbbbUbbbbbZ2ZZ3HH;:72bbb3;ZUE@RbRU, o3333273H7
    .:: :::2MMM7 7Z3;,287 :HZ
    :,. ,,, 2NUN, b3 ;bZ, .RR.
    3bU@UZ2ZZ3o33ZZZZ8Z2o; Uo3E :H27RR: 3@,
    ,ZbZ3;. :ZHMNU7 U32U 8RE@8. .ZM8
    2b8Z;. .,ZMMME.R22b 2MRM; .7ENZ
    ,ZU3, ..;;32ZZbUU8ZZ377ZMMMM@:RZZUZMNMRR@NHZ.
    ;bEZ: .:73ZZZZZZ2377;:, .::;2bHMMMMMHoUb7bRo77;,
    ,2b87,::7o37,, .,,3MMMMNREM;.b;
    ,bNZo33337;;;. .,,;NME: ;RRZ7H3
    ,:7833obZ3ZZ8bo. ,,oHH378@NMNb2b;HZ
    8Z8RUb2o:,..,,,ZU@NZ2H2;@MMNM88EoNR.
    .7ZZbUUUUUUbZZ3; ,H. 2HE::Mb 7H2@H;
    .E3 2o ;Mo ,R8bN2
    .Ro 7: .Eb ZR3NR.
    28o; 787 ;E2HH7
    7@Z;,737;, ZE@MR,
    ,2o;:. 7ZUZ:

  4. Re: Testicle stem cell harvest plan

    Peter Hucker wrote:
    > On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 03:40:18 +0100, Michael Baldwin, Bruce wrote:
    >
    > > MCP wrote:
    > >> http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7002828.stm
    > >>
    > >> A man's testicles might be a source of stem cells to help him fight serious
    > >> diseases, US scientists have shown.
    > >> They extracted early-stage sperm cells from mice, then turned them into
    > >> cells capable of becoming different tissues.
    > >>
    > >> Writing in Nature, the Weill Cornell Medical College team said their work
    > >> might lead to treatments for illnesses such as Alzheimer's and diabetes.
    > >>
    > >> However, some doubt has been expressed on the willingness of men to undergo
    > >> the procedure to extract the cells.
    > >>
    > >> Stem cells are the body's "master cells" that, in theory, can become any
    > >> type of cell in the body.
    > >>
    > >> Embryo opposition
    > >>
    > >> An obvious source of these is from the human embryo, as unlike adult cells,
    > >> these have the potential to grow into any tissue type.
    > >>
    > >> However, ethical concerns over the use of embryos in medicine mean that
    > >> scientists are hunting for a source of easily-harvested adult cells which
    > >> could be coaxed into any variety of cell.

    > Ethical arseholes, how are meant to progress without stuff like this?

    For you? They'd just need a sphincter stem cell.

+ Reply to Thread