Partition Magic Pro 5 - OS2

This is a discussion on Partition Magic Pro 5 - OS2 ; _____ Hello All OS/2 Users, I recently built fresh install of OS/2 Warp 4, and needed to move partition boundaries a bit. My floppy disk set (dated 1999) of Partition Magic (by Powerquest) failed. Diskette 2 developed a read error. ...

  1. Partition Magic Pro 5

    _____
    Hello All OS/2 Users,

    I recently built fresh install of OS/2 Warp 4, and needed to move
    partition boundaries a bit. My floppy disk set (dated 1999) of
    Partition Magic (by Powerquest) failed. Diskette 2 developed a read
    error. I cannot find my original Pro 5 CD anywhere. Surfing the net i
    have been unable to locate a copy of the CD. The reason for using
    version 5 is that it handles partitions containing a HPFS file system.
    Some of the later versions apparently do not.

    I have two options available to move partition boundaries:
    1) Find a good copy of Partition Magic Pro v5.0 on CD or floppies, or
    2) Use DFSee's (most recent release) "move partition" function.
    Unfortunately, DFSee's function seems to be disabled, or not yet
    implemented.

    Does any of you have any comments, ideas?

    --
    Regards / JCH

  2. Re: Partition Magic Pro 5

    "jch" wrote in message
    > _____
    > Hello All OS/2 Users,
    >
    > I recently built fresh install of OS/2 Warp 4, and needed to move
    > partition boundaries a bit. My floppy disk set (dated 1999) of
    > Partition Magic (by Powerquest) failed. Diskette 2 developed a read
    > error. I cannot find my original Pro 5 CD anywhere. Surfing the net i
    > have been unable to locate a copy of the CD. The reason for using
    > version 5 is that it handles partitions containing a HPFS file system.
    > Some of the later versions apparently do not.
    >
    > I have two options available to move partition boundaries:
    > 1) Find a good copy of Partition Magic Pro v5.0 on CD or floppies, or
    > 2) Use DFSee's (most recent release) "move partition" function.
    > Unfortunately, DFSee's function seems to be disabled, or not yet
    > implemented.
    >
    > Does any of you have any comments, ideas?

    I have a version of partition magic that supports HPFS.
    It may be version 4 however.

  3. Re: Partition Magic Pro 5

    On 24.05.08 19:36, jch wrote:

    > needed to move partition boundaries a bit.
    >
    > Unfortunately, DFSee's function seems to be disabled, or not yet
    > implemented.

    Just select the medium (partition) to work with first and it should
    work. Always use a recent version.

    --
    Andreas Schnellbacher

  4. Re: Partition Magic Pro 5

    On Sat, 24 May 2008 17:36:51 UTC, jch wrote:

    > _____
    > Hello All OS/2 Users,
    >
    > I recently built fresh install of OS/2 Warp 4, and needed to move
    > partition boundaries a bit. My floppy disk set (dated 1999) of
    > Partition Magic (by Powerquest) failed. Diskette 2 developed a read
    > error. I cannot find my original Pro 5 CD anywhere. Surfing the net i
    > have been unable to locate a copy of the CD. The reason for using
    > version 5 is that it handles partitions containing a HPFS file system.
    > Some of the later versions apparently do not.
    >
    > I have two options available to move partition boundaries:
    > 1) Find a good copy of Partition Magic Pro v5.0 on CD or floppies, or
    > 2) Use DFSee's (most recent release) "move partition" function.
    > Unfortunately, DFSee's function seems to be disabled, or not yet
    > implemented.
    >
    > Does any of you have any comments, ideas?

    Use DFSEE, and throw Partition Magic in the garbage.

    --
    From the eComStation 2.0 RC2 of Doug Bissett
    dougb007 at telus dot net

  5. Re: Partition Magic Pro 5

    On Sun, 25 May 2008 20:40:58 UTC, "Doug Bissett"
    wrote:

    > On Sat, 24 May 2008 17:36:51 UTC, jch wrote:
    >
    > > _____
    > > Hello All OS/2 Users,
    > >
    > > I recently built fresh install of OS/2 Warp 4, and needed to move
    > > partition boundaries a bit. My floppy disk set (dated 1999) of
    > > Partition Magic (by Powerquest) failed. Diskette 2 developed a read
    > > error. I cannot find my original Pro 5 CD anywhere. Surfing the net i
    > > have been unable to locate a copy of the CD. The reason for using
    > > version 5 is that it handles partitions containing a HPFS file system.
    > > Some of the later versions apparently do not.
    > >
    > > I have two options available to move partition boundaries:
    > > 1) Find a good copy of Partition Magic Pro v5.0 on CD or floppies, or
    > > 2) Use DFSee's (most recent release) "move partition" function.
    > > Unfortunately, DFSee's function seems to be disabled, or not yet
    > > implemented.
    > >
    > > Does any of you have any comments, ideas?

    > Use DFSEE, and throw Partition Magic in the garbage.

    Hear, hear. DFSee 9.07 has a partition resize option in the Actions
    menu. If absolutely necessary, you can always copy data off data
    partitions and put it back after they've been resized. If you buy a
    license, you get excellent tech support from Jan.

    Pete

    --

  6. Re: Partition Magic Pro 5

    Pete wrote:
    > On Sun, 25 May 2008 20:40:58 UTC, "Doug Bissett"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 24 May 2008 17:36:51 UTC, jch wrote:
    >>
    >>>_____
    >>>Hello All OS/2 Users,
    >>>
    >>>I recently built fresh install of OS/2 Warp 4, and needed to move
    >>>partition boundaries a bit. My floppy disk set (dated 1999) of
    >>>Partition Magic (by Powerquest) failed. Diskette 2 developed a read
    >>>error. I cannot find my original Pro 5 CD anywhere. Surfing the net i
    >>>have been unable to locate a copy of the CD. The reason for using
    >>>version 5 is that it handles partitions containing a HPFS file system.
    >>>Some of the later versions apparently do not.
    >>>
    >>>I have two options available to move partition boundaries:
    >>> 1) Find a good copy of Partition Magic Pro v5.0 on CD or floppies, or
    >>> 2) Use DFSee's (most recent release) "move partition" function.
    >>>Unfortunately, DFSee's function seems to be disabled, or not yet
    >>>implemented.
    >>>
    >>>Does any of you have any comments, ideas?

    >>Use DFSEE, and throw Partition Magic in the garbage.

    > Hear, hear. DFSee 9.07 has a partition resize option in the Actions
    > menu. If absolutely necessary, you can always copy data off data
    > partitions and put it back after they've been resized. If you buy a
    > license, you get excellent tech support from Jan.

    Seconded (thirded?). Jan doesn't charge much, he stands behind his
    software all the way, and he'll even talk you through or hold your hand
    through some of the nastier operations if needed. So don't be afraid if
    the tool looks complex to you (even though it is pretty friendly). A
    nice e-mail to Jan with your registration fee will get you through just
    about anything. ;-)

    FYI: I destroyed partition tables across 3 disks because one of my
    drives didn't perform bus mastering correctly. This includes several
    partitions that were split (via LVM) across 2 physical disks. Jan
    helped me recover nearly everything. The only stuff that couldn't be
    restored was the stuff I had messed with too much on my own, overwriting
    too much information.

  7. Re: Partition Magic Pro 5

    Marty wrote:
    > Pete wrote:
    >> On Sun, 25 May 2008 20:40:58 UTC, "Doug Bissett"
    >> wrote:

    >>> Use DFSEE, and throw Partition Magic in the garbage.

    >> Hear, hear. DFSee 9.07 has a partition resize option in the Actions
    >> menu. If absolutely necessary, you can always copy data off data
    >> partitions and put it back after they've been resized. If you buy a
    >> license, you get excellent tech support from Jan.

    > Seconded (thirded?). Jan doesn't charge much, he stands behind his
    > software all the way, and he'll even talk you through or hold your hand
    > through some of the nastier operations if needed. So don't be afraid if
    > the tool looks complex to you (even though it is pretty friendly). A
    > nice e-mail to Jan with your registration fee will get you through just
    > about anything. ;-)
    >
    > FYI: I destroyed partition tables across 3 disks because one of my
    > drives didn't perform bus mastering correctly. This includes several
    > partitions that were split (via LVM) across 2 physical disks. Jan
    > helped me recover nearly everything. The only stuff that couldn't be
    > restored was the stuff I had messed with too much on my own, overwriting
    > too much information.

    Use DFSee. Follow instructions to back up your partitions. Jan will help
    you restore them if they are lost. As the others have said, don't use
    Partition Tragic. I have gotten buried more than once with it.

  8. Re: Partition Magic Pro 5

    In , on 05/26/2008
    at 12:47 AM, "Pete" said:

    >Hear, hear. DFSee 9.07 has a partition resize option

    Does it also have a move option?

    reply to spamtrap@library.lspace.org

  9. Re: Partition Magic Pro 5

    On Tue, 27 May 2008 13:16:49 UTC, Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
    wrote:

    > In , on 05/26/2008
    > at 12:47 AM, "Pete" said:
    >
    > >Hear, hear. DFSee 9.07 has a partition resize option

    > Does it also have a move option?

    Yes, but I haven't tried it.

    Pete