ThinkPad T42 T43 wireless - OS2

This is a discussion on ThinkPad T42 T43 wireless - OS2 ; HI, I've owned a T42 ThinkPad since 2004, and the wireless card has never worked worth a hoot. It's an Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG mini pci device. It's there, it's alive and a couple of times while parked at a campground ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

  1. ThinkPad T42 T43 wireless

    HI,

    I've owned a T42 ThinkPad since 2004, and the wireless card has never
    worked worth a hoot. It's an Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG mini pci
    device. It's there, it's alive and a couple of times while parked at
    a campground or in a coffee shop I've been able to connect using it
    with XP. But I soon gave up, bought a Hawking USB HWU54D adapter
    which is outstanding.... using Windows XP. Can't use the USB adapter
    with OS/2 - eCS.

    I just thought the Intel 2200BG was a puny receiver.

    Then a couple weeks ago, I picked up a refurbished T43 ThinkPad with
    what XP detects as the identical Intel 2200BG card, and it works
    great! I don't yet have eCS or OS/2 installed on it, but from the XP
    perspective I have no trouble connecting to my municipal wireless
    network here in my house. The T42 sitting 4 feet away can't do that.

    Why such a difference? I know many of you own ThinkPads, and wonder
    if you've seen anything similar. Is the T43 built-in antenna better
    or what?

    The T42 is my travel computer, runs eCS 1.2R, and I have Genmac 2.2
    plus WLan 3.10 installed on it working (finally), but it can't pick up
    a signal through the Intel 2200BG here at home. It detects it,
    identifies it, says it's "too weak".

    Would it be worth trying to replace that Intel 2200BG mini-pci card in
    the T42? I would love not having to use Windows for WiFi while
    traveling/camping. I know, I know... travel with the T43. It's
    waiting for (sigh..) eCS 2.0 to arrive.

    --
    Barbara

  2. Re: ThinkPad T42 T43 wireless

    All I can do is offer some co-miseration on this issue. I have an R50p
    with some flavor of on-board Intel wireless, and it is nearly worthless.
    On several occasions, I had it sitting literally directly on top of
    the wireless transmitter and it still broke connection every 5 minutes
    or so.

    Barbara wrote:
    > HI,
    >
    > I've owned a T42 ThinkPad since 2004, and the wireless card has never
    > worked worth a hoot. It's an Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG mini pci
    > device. It's there, it's alive and a couple of times while parked at
    > a campground or in a coffee shop I've been able to connect using it
    > with XP. But I soon gave up, bought a Hawking USB HWU54D adapter
    > which is outstanding.... using Windows XP. Can't use the USB adapter
    > with OS/2 - eCS.
    >
    > I just thought the Intel 2200BG was a puny receiver.
    >
    > Then a couple weeks ago, I picked up a refurbished T43 ThinkPad with
    > what XP detects as the identical Intel 2200BG card, and it works
    > great! I don't yet have eCS or OS/2 installed on it, but from the XP
    > perspective I have no trouble connecting to my municipal wireless
    > network here in my house. The T42 sitting 4 feet away can't do that.
    >
    > Why such a difference? I know many of you own ThinkPads, and wonder
    > if you've seen anything similar. Is the T43 built-in antenna better
    > or what?
    >
    > The T42 is my travel computer, runs eCS 1.2R, and I have Genmac 2.2
    > plus WLan 3.10 installed on it working (finally), but it can't pick up
    > a signal through the Intel 2200BG here at home. It detects it,
    > identifies it, says it's "too weak".
    >
    > Would it be worth trying to replace that Intel 2200BG mini-pci card in
    > the T42? I would love not having to use Windows for WiFi while
    > traveling/camping. I know, I know... travel with the T43. It's
    > waiting for (sigh..) eCS 2.0 to arrive.

  3. Re: ThinkPad T42 T43 wireless

    In article
    bcallen@nospam.attglobal.net "Barbara" writes:

    > [...]
    >
    > Why such a difference? I know many of you own ThinkPads, and
    > wonder if you've seen anything similar. Is the T43 built-in
    > antenna better or what?
    >
    > [...]

    WAG: differences in the antennae radiation patterns, caused by
    differences in the two computers' constructions? At very high
    frequencies, moving a tiny bit of metal can make a difference.
    --
    Andrew Stephenson

  4. Re: ThinkPad T42 T43 wireless

    On Fri, 23 May 2008 15:10:36 UTC in comp.os.os2.misc, "Barbara"
    wrote:

    > The T42 is my travel computer, runs eCS 1.2R, and I have Genmac 2.2
    > plus WLan 3.10 installed on it working (finally), but it can't pick up
    > a signal through the Intel 2200BG here at home. It detects it,
    > identifies it, says it's "too weak".

    Maybe you have a hardware problem!

    On all the Thinkpads I've looked at, they have a plug in card with the wireless
    on it and then a cable (or two) goes to that and is routed up round the outside
    of the screen bezel. Maybe the cable has been disconnected or is suffering from
    a partial connection. Might be worth you finding the hardware service manual for
    your model and reading up on what it takes to dismantle it and re-assemble it -
    it might be dead easy to get at the connection to the wireless card itself but
    more tricky to track it down as it goes up round the screen.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  5. Re: ThinkPad T42 T43 wireless

    On Fri, 23 May 2008 15:10:36 UTC, "Barbara"
    wrote:

    > HI,
    >
    > I've owned a T42 ThinkPad since 2004, and the wireless card has never
    > worked worth a hoot. It's an Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG mini pci
    > device. It's there, it's alive and a couple of times while parked at
    > a campground or in a coffee shop I've been able to connect using it
    > with XP. But I soon gave up, bought a Hawking USB HWU54D adapter
    > which is outstanding.... using Windows XP. Can't use the USB adapter
    > with OS/2 - eCS.
    >
    > I just thought the Intel 2200BG was a puny receiver.
    >
    > Then a couple weeks ago, I picked up a refurbished T43 ThinkPad with
    > what XP detects as the identical Intel 2200BG card, and it works
    > great! I don't yet have eCS or OS/2 installed on it, but from the XP
    > perspective I have no trouble connecting to my municipal wireless
    > network here in my house. The T42 sitting 4 feet away can't do that.
    >
    > Why such a difference? I know many of you own ThinkPads, and wonder
    > if you've seen anything similar. Is the T43 built-in antenna better
    > or what?
    >
    > The T42 is my travel computer, runs eCS 1.2R, and I have Genmac 2.2
    > plus WLan 3.10 installed on it working (finally), but it can't pick up
    > a signal through the Intel 2200BG here at home. It detects it,
    > identifies it, says it's "too weak".
    >
    > Would it be worth trying to replace that Intel 2200BG mini-pci card in
    > the T42? I would love not having to use Windows for WiFi while
    > traveling/camping. I know, I know... travel with the T43. It's
    > waiting for (sigh..) eCS 2.0 to arrive.

    Run pci.exe (from pci048vkd.zip, available on Hobbes), and then install
    the genmac drivers according to what it reports for the wlan card in the
    thing. The IBM T42 docs, such as they are, talk only about Intel wifi
    adapters. I just picked up a used T42 and tried to install the drivers
    for the intel adapter. Finally, I ran pci.exe which revealed that it
    uses an Atheros wlan adapter. When installed the drivers for the Atheros
    adapter, it worked fine, much to my surprise. I've heard from a friend
    who works at Applied Materials, which buys laptops by the thousands,
    that a the employees preferred a T42 to T43 (too many security bells and
    whistles).

    HTH,
    Pete

    --

  6. Re: ThinkPad T42 T43 wireless

    On Fri, 23 May 2008 18:40:25 UTC, "Pete"
    wrote:

    > On Fri, 23 May 2008 15:10:36 UTC, "Barbara"
    > wrote:
    >
    > > HI,
    > >
    > > I've owned a T42 ThinkPad since 2004, and the wireless card has never
    > > worked worth a hoot. It's an Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG mini pci
    > > device. It's there, it's alive and a couple of times while parked at
    > > a campground or in a coffee shop I've been able to connect using it
    > > with XP. But I soon gave up, bought a Hawking USB HWU54D adapter
    > > which is outstanding.... using Windows XP. Can't use the USB adapter
    > > with OS/2 - eCS.
    > >
    > > I just thought the Intel 2200BG was a puny receiver.
    > >
    > > Then a couple weeks ago, I picked up a refurbished T43 ThinkPad with
    > > what XP detects as the identical Intel 2200BG card, and it works
    > > great! I don't yet have eCS or OS/2 installed on it, but from the XP
    > > perspective I have no trouble connecting to my municipal wireless
    > > network here in my house. The T42 sitting 4 feet away can't do that.
    > >
    > > Why such a difference? I know many of you own ThinkPads, and wonder
    > > if you've seen anything similar. Is the T43 built-in antenna better
    > > or what?
    > >
    > > The T42 is my travel computer, runs eCS 1.2R, and I have Genmac 2.2
    > > plus WLan 3.10 installed on it working (finally), but it can't pick up
    > > a signal through the Intel 2200BG here at home. It detects it,
    > > identifies it, says it's "too weak".
    > >
    > > Would it be worth trying to replace that Intel 2200BG mini-pci card in
    > > the T42? I would love not having to use Windows for WiFi while
    > > traveling/camping. I know, I know... travel with the T43. It's
    > > waiting for (sigh..) eCS 2.0 to arrive.

    > Run pci.exe (from pci048vkd.zip, available on Hobbes), and then install
    > the genmac drivers according to what it reports for the wlan card in the
    > thing. The IBM T42 docs, such as they are, talk only about Intel wifi
    > adapters. I just picked up a used T42 and tried to install the drivers
    > for the intel adapter. Finally, I ran pci.exe which revealed that it
    > uses an Atheros wlan adapter. When installed the drivers for the Atheros
    > adapter, it worked fine, much to my surprise. I've heard from a friend
    > who works at Applied Materials, which buys laptops by the thousands,
    > that a the employees preferred a T42 to T43 (too many security bells and
    > whistles).
    >
    > HTH,
    > Pete

    Pete, I did that years ago for the T42. pci.exe reports "Vendor 8086h
    Intel corporation, device 4220h PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network
    Connection". Latest Genmac drivers for that card are
    installed/configured.

    Like I said, it's working, just too weak to be of any practical use.

    --
    Barbara

  7. Re: ThinkPad T42 T43 wireless

    On Fri, 23 May 2008 18:27:16 UTC, "Trevor Hemsley"
    wrote:

    > On Fri, 23 May 2008 15:10:36 UTC in comp.os.os2.misc, "Barbara"
    > wrote:
    >
    > > The T42 is my travel computer, runs eCS 1.2R, and I have Genmac 2.2
    > > plus WLan 3.10 installed on it working (finally), but it can't pick up
    > > a signal through the Intel 2200BG here at home. It detects it,
    > > identifies it, says it's "too weak".

    > Maybe you have a hardware problem!
    >
    > On all the Thinkpads I've looked at, they have a plug in card with the wireless
    > on it and then a cable (or two) goes to that and is routed up round the outside
    > of the screen bezel. Maybe the cable has been disconnected or is suffering from
    > a partial connection. Might be worth you finding the hardware service manual for
    > your model and reading up on what it takes to dismantle it and re-assemble it -
    > it might be dead easy to get at the connection to the wireless card itself but
    > more tricky to track it down as it goes up round the screen.

    HI Trevor,

    I have the hardware service manual, all 277 pages for the T42 printed
    out. And I've thought exactly along the lines you suggest. But my
    thinking was that it wouldn't work at all if a connection were loose.
    It does work.

    Sometime I may get around to removing the keyboard, the palm rest and
    keyboard bezel as instructed in the manual in order to get to the
    wireless card. I'm fearless when it comes to disassembly and
    reassembly so long as I have the manual for instruction. I don't plan
    on taking the screen apart.

    If I hadn't seen the two TPs side by side, I'd never have wondered.

    I also have the service manual for the T43, and they are essentially
    identical hardware wise with regard to the wireless card.

    --
    Barbara

  8. Re: ThinkPad T42 T43 wireless

    wrote:

    > Run pci.exe (from pci048vkd.zip, available on Hobbes),

    Can this utility be run from Windows? I should go look it up, but
    thought you might know.

    The T43 only has XP right now, and not that I don't trust XP hardware
    reporting, I'd like to see a direct comparison from pci.exe. Then I
    could tell for sure if the two cards, T42 - T43, were identical. Only
    os/2 related bootable thing I have right now is DFSee.

    --
    Barbara

  9. Re: ThinkPad T42 T43 wireless

    On Fri, 23 May 2008 20:49:43 UTC in comp.os.os2.misc, "Barbara"
    wrote:

    > And I've thought exactly along the lines you suggest. But my
    > thinking was that it wouldn't work at all if a connection were loose.
    > It does work.

    I've used dozens of Intel 2200 chips and they are usually very good - far better
    than any of the alternatives I've tried of similar vintage. Your symptoms sound
    like the aerial is not working properly. Connection is one possibility - could
    be corrosion perhaps. Another one I thoguht about is that maybe the wire has
    been trapped and severed - it does usually take a fairly circuitous route around
    the inside of the machine to get to where it ends up.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  10. Re: ThinkPad T42 T43 wireless

    Trevor Hemsley wrote:

    > On Fri, 23 May 2008 20:49:43 UTC in comp.os.os2.misc, "Barbara"
    > wrote:
    >
    >> And I've thought exactly along the lines you suggest. But my
    >> thinking was that it wouldn't work at all if a connection were loose.
    >> It does work.

    > I've used dozens of Intel 2200 chips and they are usually very good - far
    > better than any of the alternatives I've tried of similar vintage. Your
    > symptoms sound like the aerial is not working properly. Connection is one
    > possibility - could be corrosion perhaps. Another one I thoguht about is
    > that maybe the wire has been trapped and severed - it does usually take a
    > fairly circuitous route around the inside of the machine to get to where
    > it ends up.

    Gotta second Trevor here. I've got a couple of pcmcia wireless cards and
    one of them has a provision for an external antenna - thing works fine with
    no antenna up to about 2 feet from the AP . All the machines I've had
    with the Intel wireless installed have worked like champs.

    --
    Will Honea

  11. Re: ThinkPad T42 T43 wireless

    Windows alternatives from http://members.datafast.net.au/dft0802/downloads.htm

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  12. Re: ThinkPad T42 T43 wireless

    On Fri, 23 May 2008 21:31:59 UTC, "Trevor Hemsley"
    wrote:

    > On Fri, 23 May 2008 20:51:05 UTC in comp.os.os2.misc, "Barbara"
    > wrote:
    >

    > > > Run pci.exe (from pci048vkd.zip, available on Hobbes),

    > > Can this utility be run from Windows? I should go look it up, but
    > > thought you might know.

    > Windows alternatives from http://members.datafast.net.au/dft0802/downloads.htm

    Well, that was too easy! Ran pci32.exe and the wireless cards *are*
    identical in both T42 and T43. (It's so much fun to inflict something
    on Windows that I already know how to do.) Craig's stuff is great!

    I guess the next step is to get out the screwdrivers to check
    connections on the T42. I'll check the card, plus whatever I can see
    in the base, but I'm not going anywhere that display antenna wiring
    harness. There's a bluetooth antenna snugged in there as well, and
    the assembly looks ummm... challenging. If I find a loose card
    connection, it's been that way since I bought it and you'll hear me
    kicking myself from wherever you are.

    Thanks

    --
    Barbara

  13. Re: ThinkPad T42 T43 wireless

    On Fri, 23 May 2008 22:56:55 UTC, "Barbara"
    wrote:

    > I guess the next step is to get out the screwdrivers to check
    > connections on the T42.

    Just to conclude, I did take the T42 apart, reseated the wireless card
    and the two connectors, inspected visible cabling and seeing no bare
    wires or crimps, put it back together. It made no difference. Still
    weak and puny.

    --
    Barbara

  14. Re: ThinkPad T42 T43 wireless

    On Fri, 23 May 2008 20:49:43 UTC, "Barbara"
    wrote:

    -> On Fri, 23 May 2008 18:27:16 UTC, "Trevor Hemsley"
    -> wrote:
    ->
    -> > On Fri, 23 May 2008 15:10:36 UTC in comp.os.os2.misc, "Barbara"
    -> > wrote:
    -> >
[...]

    There are two antenna leads on the 2200bg, main and Aux. Perhaps only
    one is connected, or one is corroded. It is easy enough to check.
    Just unscrew all the screws on the back labelled 1 and 2, then lift up
    the keyboard. There is one connector in the middle of the keyboard
    that you have to gently pry off, then the keyboard should lift up
    revealing the Intel 2200bg mini-PCI card. There is a picture of the
    card in an old article I wrote a couple years ago -
    http://www.os2voice.org/VNL/past_iss...feature_4.html

    Make sure the two wires are connected. Or perhaps the leads are
    switched, which might be another thing which might cause a problem. I
    don't recall if the wires are labelled, but I am always careful to
    reattach them the way I found them and the 2200 has worked well on my
    T42p for several years now.

    Mark
    --
    From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

    Warpstock 2008 - Santa Cruz, California: http://www.warpstock.org
    Warpstock Europe 2008 - Düsseldorf, Germany: http://www.warpstock.eu

  15. Re: ThinkPad T42 T43 wireless

    On Sat, 24 May 2008 01:34:25 UTC, "Mark Dodel"
    wrote:

    > There are two antenna leads on the 2200bg, main and Aux. Perhaps only
    > one is connected, or one is corroded. It is easy enough to check.
    > Just unscrew all the screws on the back labelled 1 and 2, then lift up
    > the keyboard. There is one connector in the middle of the keyboard
    > that you have to gently pry off, then the keyboard should lift up
    > revealing the Intel 2200bg mini-PCI card. There is a picture of the
    > card in an old article I wrote a couple years ago -
    > http://www.os2voice.org/VNL/past_iss...feature_4.html
    >
    > Make sure the two wires are connected. Or perhaps the leads are
    > switched, which might be another thing which might cause a problem. I
    > don't recall if the wires are labelled, but I am always careful to
    > reattach them the way I found them and the 2200 has worked well on my
    > T42p for several years now.

    Thanks Mark. I did exactly that. (See my 19:23 post to myself.) I
    saw no corrosion or breaks in the wiring. Reseated everything and it
    made no difference.

    Unless there's something wrong with the wiring inside the display or
    hinge area going to the antenna, I don't know what's wrong and I'm
    just not up to taking the display apart. It really does act like it
    has a very weak antenna. I'd think I had the Genmac driver configured
    wrong or something if it didn't act exactly the same way with XP.
    That's why I bought the HWU54D Hawking adapter at least three years
    ago. The difference between the USB Hawking and the internal Intel is
    like night and day. I thought they were all that way until I bought
    the T43. I didn't know enough about WiFi in 2004 when the T42 was
    brand new to complain.

    What I'd really like is a Genmac driver for the Hawking USB adapter.
    I know that means two drivers, a USB one and a Genmac one. I doubt
    that will ever happen.

    --
    Barbara

  16. Re: ThinkPad T42 T43 wireless

    Barbara wrote:

    > On Fri, 23 May 2008 22:56:55 UTC, "Barbara"
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I guess the next step is to get out the screwdrivers to check
    >> connections on the T42.

    > Just to conclude, I did take the T42 apart, reseated the wireless card
    > and the two connectors, inspected visible cabling and seeing no bare
    > wires or crimps, put it back together. It made no difference. Still
    > weak and puny.

    Since you're in the play-with-it mode at the moment, why not tack about 6 -
    12 inches of fine wire onto one of the connectors (just jam it in the back
    of the connector once it's on the header if nothing else is available to
    wrap it around) and see what happens. Might help identify a broken antenna
    lead w/o getting into the display rat's nest.

    --
    Will Honea

  17. Re: ThinkPad T42 T43 wireless

    Hi Barbara

    Barbara wrote:

    ----- big snip -----

    > What I'd really like is a Genmac driver for the Hawking USB adapter.
    > I know that means two drivers, a USB one and a Genmac one. I doubt
    > that will ever happen.

    You do not know unless you ask - and provide the necessary windows drivers.

    Some time ago I asked for nVidia nForce4 nic support and supplied the
    drivers.

    They got included in the next release.

    I accept that maybe the nForce4 driver has a larger target group of
    users but, as stated above, you do not know unless you contact the
    genmac people and ask.

    Regards

    Pete

  18. Re: ThinkPad T42 T43 wireless

    On May 23, 10:10 am, "Barbara" wrote:
    > HI,
    >
    > I've owned a T42 ThinkPad since 2004, and the wireless card has never
    > worked worth a hoot. It's an Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG mini pci
    > device. It's there, it's alive and a couple of times while parked at
    > a campground or in a coffee shop I've been able to connect using it
    > with XP. But I soon gave up, bought a Hawking USB HWU54D adapter
    > which is outstanding.... using Windows XP. Can't use the USB adapter
    > with OS/2 - eCS.
    >
    > I just thought the Intel 2200BG was a puny receiver.
    >
    > Then a couple weeks ago, I picked up a refurbished T43 ThinkPad with
    > what XP detects as the identical Intel 2200BG card, and it works
    > great! I don't yet have eCS or OS/2 installed on it, but from the XP
    > perspective I have no trouble connecting to my municipal wireless
    > network here in my house. The T42 sitting 4 feet away can't do that.
    >
    > Why such a difference? I know many of you own ThinkPads, and wonder
    > if you've seen anything similar. Is the T43 built-in antenna better
    > or what?
    >
    > The T42 is my travel computer, runs eCS 1.2R, and I have Genmac 2.2
    > plus WLan 3.10 installed on it working (finally), but it can't pick up
    > a signal through the Intel 2200BG here at home. It detects it,
    > identifies it, says it's "too weak".
    >
    > Would it be worth trying to replace that Intel 2200BG mini-pci card in
    > the T42? I would love not having to use Windows for WiFi while
    > traveling/camping. I know, I know... travel with the T43. It's
    > waiting for (sigh..) eCS 2.0 to arrive.
    >
    > --
    > Barbara

    Hi Barbara

    Although I don't have a T42, I do have a Toshiba statellite notebook
    with the same 2200BG. It works fine under Windows XP, however, it has
    never worked under eCS although the docs say it is supported and the
    drivers load just fine. However, when I try to access the internet in
    any way when in eCS with it, it doesn't happen.

    David

  19. Re: ThinkPad T42 T43 wireless

    On Sat, 24 May 2008 16:10:59 UTC, Peter Brown
    wrote:

    > You do not know unless you ask - and provide the necessary windows drivers.

    I made the effort to collect all information on this adapter a couple
    years ago. Then it occurred to me that the Hawking USB adapter I use
    with XP is no longer available. It was replaced by a newer model that
    many think was not much of an improvement, and there's a chance I'm
    the only OS/2 user who ever bought the HWU54D. That didn't set up a
    likely scenario for serious driver effort, so I gave it up.

    Then there's the issue of getting it recognised as an appropriate USB
    device. It's funny... When plugged into eCS 1.2, I think the Hawking
    WiFi adapter is recognised as some kind of mouse or gaming device.
    USB Device monitor proudly displays it as "4 Either Hand". Looking
    at the device list, way down at the bottom there's "0 Not applicable",
    "1 Right Hand", "2 Left Hand", "3 Both Hands", and the oh so popular
    "4 Either Hand". On second thought, maybe it thinks it's an adult's
    only entertainment device.

    --
    Barbara

  20. Re: ThinkPad T42 T43 wireless

    On Sat, 24 May 2008 17:18:15 UTC, dwgras@swbell.net wrote:

    > Hi Barbara
    >
    > Although I don't have a T42, I do have a Toshiba statellite notebook
    > with the same 2200BG. It works fine under Windows XP, however, it has
    > never worked under eCS although the docs say it is supported and the
    > drivers load just fine. However, when I try to access the internet in
    > any way when in eCS with it, it doesn't happen.

    Hi David,

    Well, mine goes one step further and doesn't work well with either eCS
    or XP unless I'm right on top of a router/transmitter/access point.
    Interesting, however. I use a USB adapter for XP.

    --
    Barbara

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast