ThinkPad T42 T43 wireless - OS2

This is a discussion on ThinkPad T42 T43 wireless - OS2 ; On Sat, 24 May 2008 17:38:14 UTC, "Barbara" wrote: -> On Sat, 24 May 2008 16:10:59 UTC, Peter Brown -> wrote: -> -> > -> > You do not know unless you ask - and provide the necessary windows drivers. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 31 of 31

  1. Re: ThinkPad T42 T43 wireless

    wrote:

    -> On Sat, 24 May 2008 16:10:59 UTC, Peter Brown
    -> wrote:
    ->
    -> >
    -> > You do not know unless you ask - and provide the necessary windows drivers.
    -> >
    ->
    -> I made the effort to collect all information on this adapter a couple
    -> years ago. Then it occurred to me that the Hawking USB adapter I use
    -> with XP is no longer available. It was replaced by a newer model that
    -> many think was not much of an improvement, and there's a chance I'm
    -> the only OS/2 user who ever bought the HWU54D. That didn't set up a
    -> likely scenario for serious driver effort, so I gave it up.
    ->
    -> Then there's the issue of getting it recognised as an appropriate USB
    -> device. It's funny... When plugged into eCS 1.2, I think the Hawking
    -> WiFi adapter is recognised as some kind of mouse or gaming device.
    -> USB Device monitor proudly displays it as "4 Either Hand". Looking
    -> at the device list, way down at the bottom there's "0 Not applicable",
    -> "1 Right Hand", "2 Left Hand", "3 Both Hands", and the oh so popular
    -> "4 Either Hand". On second thought, maybe it thinks it's an adult's
    -> only entertainment device.
    ->

    That's a shame that it has never worked right. Is it still under
    warranty? Another option would be a wireless gaming adapter. These
    are OS agnostic and only require a driver for the builtin ethernet
    port, which on the T42 is an Intel Pro 1000. I've used the Asus 330
    with my older laptop and that worked fine.

    Mark

    --
    From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

    Warpstock 2008 - Santa Cruz, California: http://www.warpstock.org
    Warpstock Europe 2008 - Düsseldorf, Germany: http://www.warpstock.eu

  2. Re: ThinkPad T42 T43 wireless

    > Pete, I did that years ago for the T42. pci.exe reports "Vendor 8086h
    > Intel corporation, device 4220h PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network
    > Connection". Latest Genmac drivers for that card are
    > installed/configured.
    >
    > Like I said, it's working, just too weak to be of any practical use.

    On a guess, maybe the antenna has been disconnected. The antenna is
    'built-in' around the screen while the wi-fi is on the mini-PCI card.
    There's a wire to connect the antenna to the mini-pci card that has
    perhaps become unplugged. Get out the screwriver and look at the
    mini-pci card to check. Otherwise, maybe the antenna itself has become
    damaged from a drop or water or something. All of this assumes that it
    also has limited range with Windows XP as well as OS/2. If it's only
    OS/2, then it's probably a driver/software problem.

    --
    Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    and Sea Monkey 1.5a

  3. Re: ThinkPad T42 T43 wireless

    On Sat, 24 May 2008 19:28:53 UTC, "Mark Dodel"
    wrote:

    > That's a shame that it has never worked right. Is it still under
    > warranty? Another option would be a wireless gaming adapter. These
    > are OS agnostic and only require a driver for the builtin ethernet
    > port, which on the T42 is an Intel Pro 1000. I've used the Asus 330
    > with my older laptop and that worked fine.
    >
    > Mark

    The T42 was purchased new in February 2004, so It hadn't even occurred
    to me to consider it under warranty.

    I'm not quite sure what you mean by "gaming adapter". The T42 works
    great as a wireless receiver using the ethernet card connected to a
    PepWave wireless modem. That modem/router in turn accesses the city
    wireless network, so there's no problem with connectivity here at home
    using any OS. I don't need to use cable or DSL for high-speed
    broadband. TCP/IP configured for DHCP automatic does it all.

    It's just the ThinkPad internal Intel WiFi adapter that's a problem
    trying to connect to anything while away from home.

    I really wanted to find out if the Intel 2200BG was malfunctioning in
    the T42, and the feedback I've received here does confirm that it's
    not acting normal. I've managed to work around that for 4 years now,
    so it isn't a show-stopper problem.

    I actually was inspired to buy the T43 a few weeks ago to use as a
    possible backup for my IBM IntelliStation that blew it's power supply.
    That power supply has been replaced and the IntelliStation seems like
    it's good as new right now, so there's no emergency. The
    IntelliStation is a 1998 model and could rival Hobbes in the amount of
    OS/2 programs and history that's on it.

    I'll likely change my priorities and eventually use the T42 as a
    backup and configure the T43 as my travel computer with it's working
    wireless. I have many choices.

    Thanks for your help!

    --
    Barbara

  4. Re: ThinkPad T42 T43 wireless

    On Sat, 24 May 2008 22:28:09 UTC, "Barbara"
    wrote:

    -> On Sat, 24 May 2008 19:28:53 UTC, "Mark Dodel"
    -> wrote:
    ->
    -> >
    -> > That's a shame that it has never worked right. Is it still under
    -> > warranty? Another option would be a wireless gaming adapter. These
    -> > are OS agnostic and only require a driver for the builtin ethernet
    -> > port, which on the T42 is an Intel Pro 1000. I've used the Asus 330
    -> > with my older laptop and that worked fine.
    -> >
    -> > Mark
    ->
    -> The T42 was purchased new in February 2004, so It hadn't even occurred
    -> to me to consider it under warranty.

    Just asked as my T42p has a 4 year extended warranty and it just died
    last week and I need to get it in for repair.

    ->
    -> I'm not quite sure what you mean by "gaming adapter". The T42 works
    -> great as a wireless receiver using the ethernet card connected to a
    -> PepWave wireless modem. That modem/router in turn accesses the city
    Might be the same thing. Daniela Engert wrote an article on the Asus
    in VOICE a few years back -
    http://www.os2voice.org/VNL/past_iss...5H/vnewsf4.htm

    Where are you located that they have city wide WiFi? Philly?

    Mark

    --
    From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

    Warpstock 2008 - Santa Cruz, California: http://www.warpstock.org
    Warpstock Europe 2008 - Düsseldorf, Germany: http://www.warpstock.eu

  5. Re: ThinkPad T42 T43 wireless

    On Sun, 25 May 2008 00:52:30 UTC, "Mark Dodel"
    wrote:

    > Where are you located that they have city wide WiFi? Philly?

    I'm in a smallish sized town (85,000) about 40 miles north of Denver
    called Longmont, Colorado. Getting the city wireless network up has
    been an ongoing project for the past two years. One company, Kite
    Networks, started it and working with the city installed all the
    access points, then 6 months later sold out to a company called
    Gobility. Gobility let it fall apart, couldn't afford the support and
    service obligations. Just recently a third company, DHB Networks
    picked it up, and they are trying very hard to complete the original
    plan. I'm mildly optimistic.

    It's been a very difficult project, and wouldn't you know I've been
    signed on since the beginning and got to experience all the ups and
    downs. It's not a free network, but there are various levels of
    connectivity. People can sign on and pay by the hour, the day, or
    establish what they call full time "residential" service. The
    residential service is $24.99 month, and is an incredible bargain when
    everything works. It's on 24/7 at home, and I can also log in
    anywhere in town with a mobile (laptop) unit. Possibilities and
    usages are endless.

    For the past month, it's been rock solid since DHB updated a lot of
    the software and hardware related to the service. It's apparently a
    whole bunch harder to do than I ever imagined.

    --
    Barbara

  6. Re: ThinkPad T42 T43 wireless

    Barbara wrote:

    > For the past month, it's been rock solid since DHB updated a lot of
    > the software and hardware related to the service. Â*It's apparently a
    > whole bunch harder to do than I ever imagined.

    Barbara, do you have a web site for that service? Colorado Springs has been
    working in jerks and squirts to set something up in the downtown area -
    basically the CC campus and surrounding area but it really never got off
    the ground - piggybacking on some municipal services.

    Be interesting to see if someone ever really gets this to be a paying
    proposition. Given the power limits on the APs and the clients it's hard
    to see how this will ever work out - too much hardware - but it's an
    interesting concept. Of course, some folks will try and blame this week's
    weather on the wifi...

    --
    Will Honea

  7. Re: ThinkPad T42 T43 wireless

    On Sun, 25 May 2008 07:57:32 UTC, Will Honea wrote:

    > Barbara wrote:
    >
    > > For the past month, it's been rock solid since DHB updated a lot of
    > > the software and hardware related to the service. ˙It's apparently a
    > > whole bunch harder to do than I ever imagined.

    > Barbara, do you have a web site for that service? Colorado Springs has been
    > working in jerks and squirts to set something up in the downtown area -
    > basically the CC campus and surrounding area but it really never got off
    > the ground - piggybacking on some municipal services.
    >
    > Be interesting to see if someone ever really gets this to be a paying
    > proposition. Given the power limits on the APs and the clients it's hard
    > to see how this will ever work out - too much hardware - but it's an
    > interesting concept. Of course, some folks will try and blame this week's
    > weather on the wifi...

    I don't think I'll tell you until they get ours working.

    Try these:

    http://www.ci.longmont.co.us/wireless/ <===== city reports

    http://www.dhbnetworks.com/ <===== the network

    http://longmont.airwirz.com <===== customer/user page

    Incidentally, I've never been able to get that dhbnetworks.com site to
    work properly with the version of Seamonkey I'm using. Something
    fancy going on there.

    And yes, I'm sure Longmont's WiFi had something to do with those
    tornados a couple days ago.

    --
    Barbara

  8. Re: ThinkPad T42 T43 wireless

    On Sun, 25 May 2008 13:21:25 UTC, "Barbara"
    wrote:

    > On Sun, 25 May 2008 07:57:32 UTC, Will Honea wrote:
    >
    > > Barbara wrote:
    > >
    > > > For the past month, it's been rock solid since DHB updated a lot of
    > > > the software and hardware related to the service. Â*It's apparently a
    > > > whole bunch harder to do than I ever imagined.

    > > Barbara, do you have a web site for that service? Colorado Springs has been
    > > working in jerks and squirts to set something up in the downtown area -
    > > basically the CC campus and surrounding area but it really never got off
    > > the ground - piggybacking on some municipal services.
    > >
    > > Be interesting to see if someone ever really gets this to be a paying
    > > proposition. Given the power limits on the APs and the clients it's hard
    > > to see how this will ever work out - too much hardware - but it's an
    > > interesting concept. Of course, some folks will try and blame this week's
    > > weather on the wifi...

    > I don't think I'll tell you until they get ours working.
    >
    > Try these:
    >
    > http://www.ci.longmont.co.us/wireless/ <===== city reports
    >
    > http://www.dhbnetworks.com/ <===== the network
    >
    > http://longmont.airwirz.com <===== customer/user page
    >
    > Incidentally, I've never been able to get that dhbnetworks.com site to
    > work properly with the version of Seamonkey I'm using. Something
    > fancy going on there.

    I get the "update to version 8 of Flash" message.

    CC. Hmmm. When I went to college there in the early 1960s, they figured
    that if the Russians nuked the place (NORAD was on the east side of town
    then and Ft Carson was still Camp Carson), all that would be left
    standing would be Cheyenne Mt. and Palmer Hall, which has 3-4 ft thick
    red sandstone walls.

    Pete

    --

  9. Re: ThinkPad T42 T43 wireless

    On Fri, 23 May 2008 20:49:43 UTC, "Barbara"
    wrote:

    > On Fri, 23 May 2008 18:27:16 UTC, "Trevor Hemsley"
    > wrote:
    >
    > > On Fri, 23 May 2008 15:10:36 UTC in comp.os.os2.misc, "Barbara"
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > > The T42 is my travel computer, runs eCS 1.2R, and I have Genmac 2.2
    > > > plus WLan 3.10 installed on it working (finally), but it can't pick up
    > > > a signal through the Intel 2200BG here at home. It detects it,
    > > > identifies it, says it's "too weak".

    > > Maybe you have a hardware problem!
    > >
    > > On all the Thinkpads I've looked at, they have a plug in card with the wireless
    > > on it and then a cable (or two) goes to that and is routed up round the outside
    > > of the screen bezel. Maybe the cable has been disconnected or is suffering from
    > > a partial connection. Might be worth you finding the hardware service manual for
    > > your model and reading up on what it takes to dismantle it and re-assemble it -
    > > it might be dead easy to get at the connection to the wireless card itself but
    > > more tricky to track it down as it goes up round the screen.
    > >

    > HI Trevor,
    >
    > I have the hardware service manual, all 277 pages for the T42 printed
    > out. And I've thought exactly along the lines you suggest. But my
    > thinking was that it wouldn't work at all if a connection were loose.
    > It does work.
    >
    > Sometime I may get around to removing the keyboard, the palm rest and
    > keyboard bezel as instructed in the manual in order to get to the
    > wireless card. I'm fearless when it comes to disassembly and
    > reassembly so long as I have the manual for instruction. I don't plan
    > on taking the screen apart.

    --snip--

    I felt the same way when I first took apart my 600E. One problem area
    with is the ribbon connector to the lid and how the top "bezel" (I think
    that's what it's called) tends to pinch it rather severely when you
    reinstall the bezel. While my T42 doesn't appear to have this "problem"
    (I haven't taken it apart yet) don't force anything back together. Also
    don't count on reapplying all the adhesive-backed black dots over the
    machine screws (my T42 doesn't have them, but replacements are available
    on ebay). All the black screws ones are meant to be in locations visible
    from the outside. If you have a gray ones when you go to screw on the
    bottom cover, you've inadvertanly put black ones in their place
    somewhere inside, like fastining the modem, pcmcia slots, etc. If you
    have some "extra" screws left over, be worried.

    I also just ran across this link while sorting through my bookmarks:
    http://forum.thinkpads.com/
    OS/2 and eCS are probably unheard of, but it might resolve your XP wifi
    problems, which could possibly go a long way towards fixing the OS/2
    ones.

    HTH,
    Pete

    --

  10. Re: ThinkPad T42 T43 wireless

    On Mon, 26 May 2008 00:41:17 UTC, "Pete"
    wrote:

    -> I also just ran across this link while sorting through my bookmarks:
    -> http://forum.thinkpads.com/
    -> OS/2 and eCS are probably unheard of, but it might resolve your XP wifi
    -> problems, which could possibly go a long way towards fixing the OS/2
    -> ones.
    ->

    Actually the Thinkpads Forum has an OS/2 forum
    http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewforum.php?f=10 :-)

    Mark

    --
    From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

    wrote:

    > On Fri, 23 May 2008 20:49:43 UTC, "Barbara"
    > wrote:
    >
    > > On Fri, 23 May 2008 18:27:16 UTC, "Trevor Hemsley"
    > > wrote:

    > > > Maybe you have a hardware problem!
    > > >
    > > > On all the Thinkpads I've looked at, they have a plug in card with the wireless
    > > > on it and then a cable (or two) goes to that and is routed up round the outside
    > > > of the screen bezel. Maybe the cable has been disconnected or is suffering from
    > > > a partial connection. Might be worth you finding the hardware service manual for
    > > > your model and reading up on what it takes to dismantle it and re-assemble it -
    > > > it might be dead easy to get at the connection to the wireless card itself but
    > > > more tricky to track it down as it goes up round the screen.
    > > >

    > > HI Trevor,
    > >
    > > I have the hardware service manual, all 277 pages for the T42 printed
    > > out. And I've thought exactly along the lines you suggest. But my
    > > thinking was that it wouldn't work at all if a connection were loose.
    > > It does work.
    > >
    > > Sometime I may get around to removing the keyboard, the palm rest and
    > > keyboard bezel as instructed in the manual in order to get to the
    > > wireless card. I'm fearless when it comes to disassembly and
    > > reassembly so long as I have the manual for instruction. I don't plan
    > > on taking the screen apart.

    > --snip--
    >
    > I felt the same way when I first took apart my 600E. One problem area
    > with is the ribbon connector to the lid and how the top "bezel" (I think
    > that's what it's called) tends to pinch it rather severely when you
    > reinstall the bezel. While my T42 doesn't appear to have this "problem"
    > (I haven't taken it apart yet) don't force anything back together. Also
    > don't count on reapplying all the adhesive-backed black dots over the
    > machine screws (my T42 doesn't have them, but replacements are available
    > on ebay). All the black screws ones are meant to be in locations visible
    > from the outside. If you have a gray ones when you go to screw on the
    > bottom cover, you've inadvertanly put black ones in their place
    > somewhere inside, like fastining the modem, pcmcia slots, etc. If you
    > have some "extra" screws left over, be worried.

    I managed to save my "black dots". They were real sticky and went
    back on securely. And I was really impressed with the screw
    identification chart on the back of the T42, along with tiny icons and
    numbers beside each screw that indicate what they were holding down.
    I never even noticed those before. Unless you're fairly careless,
    it's pretty hard to get it wrong. And I didn't remove anything but
    the hard drive and battery to access the mini-pci card once the
    keyboard and palm rest were removed.

    > I also just ran across this link while sorting through my bookmarks:
    > http://forum.thinkpads.com/
    > OS/2 and eCS are probably unheard of, but it might resolve your XP wifi
    > problems, which could possibly go a long way towards fixing the OS/2
    > ones.

    That's a good reference, and there IS an OS/2 topic under operating
    systems.

    I've pretty much resigned myself to just using the Hawking USB
    wireless adapter with XP when traveling with the T42. It has USB
    powered 6dB gain which works really well. If the Intel 2200BG sniffs
    out one SSID, the Hawking will find a dozen. It's another "thing" to
    carry around, but doesn't take up too much space. And since I travel
    in a small RV, I can move the USB adapter around (usually next to a
    window) to catch the strongest signal. Aside from having to boot XP,
    it's not too bad. Once booted, I use a Seamonkey browser, PMMail for
    Windows and the Agent newsreader, so it's almost like XP is just
    allowing me to do what I'd do if using OS/2 - eCS.

    Thanks for your suggestions.

    --
    Barbara

+ Reply to Thread