Exiftool - OS2

This is a discussion on Exiftool - OS2 ; Sir: /RANT on IN hope someone(s) will take this as constructive suggestions. Another author used the poorly thought out Warpin directive "requires" and failed to install using his script. Needless to say, the prerequisite does exist and is just where ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: Exiftool

  1. Exiftool

    Sir:
    /RANT on
    IN hope someone(s) will take this as constructive suggestions.

    Another author used the poorly thought out Warpin directive "requires"
    and failed to install using his script. Needless to say, the
    prerequisite does exist and is just where it has been for the past
    installs of his tool. When are authors going to read posts telling them
    that "requires" is a badly implemented feature of Warpin? If they want
    to define prerequisites, they need to use Rexx to search for those items
    and NOT depend upon a simple search of Warpin's database. OF course,
    I'd be bitching a lot less if Warpin's database did not have size
    limits, which are all to quickly reached. (And don't keep on blaming
    libc bugs, sqllite is fully capable of managing the database without
    these size limits.)
    /RANT off
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  2. Re: Exiftool

    On Fri, 23 May 2008 04:56:52 -0500, William L. Hartzell
    wrote:

    > /RANT on
    > IN hope someone(s) will take this as constructive suggestions.


    Ranting and constructive suggestions rarely go together.
    Especially so, given they are coming from you.

    > Another author used the poorly thought out Warpin directive "requires"
    > and failed to install using his script.


    What is constructive about this? Your comments are poorly thought out.

    > Needless to say, the prerequisite does exist and is just where it
    > has been for the past installs of his tool.


    If you say so. We have little evidence, seeing as you didn't post any.

    > When are authors going to read posts telling them
    > that "requires" is a badly implemented feature of Warpin?


    It isn't badly implemented. I notice, again, that you have just provided even
    more destructive criticism and no constructive ideas.

    > If they want to define prerequisites, they need to use Rexx to search for
    > those items and NOT depend upon a simple search of Warpin's database.


    Whatever. Ranting here about non-specific packages isn't going to fix anything.

    > I'd be bitching a lot less if Warpin's database did not have size
    > limits, which are all to quickly reached.


    It doesn't. They are PM limits, probably to do with shared memory. Complain
    to IBM.

    > (And don't keep on blaming libc bugs, sqllite is fully capable of managing
    > the database without these size limits.)


    Who has ever complained about libc bugs with regards to WarpIN?
    Have you got a clue what you are talking about?

    Here's a suggestion: Shut the f*ck up.

  3. Re: Exiftool

    Sir:

    Paul Ratcliffe wrote:
    > On Fri, 23 May 2008 04:56:52 -0500, William L. Hartzell
    > wrote:
    >
    >> /RANT on
    >> IN hope someone(s) will take this as constructive suggestions.

    >
    > Ranting and constructive suggestions rarely go together.
    > Especially so, given they are coming from you.
    >
    >> Another author used the poorly thought out Warpin directive "requires"
    >> and failed to install using his script.

    >
    > What is constructive about this? Your comments are poorly thought out.
    >
    >> Needless to say, the prerequisite does exist and is just where it
    >> has been for the past installs of his tool.

    >
    > If you say so. We have little evidence, seeing as you didn't post any.
    >
    >> When are authors going to read posts telling them
    >> that "requires" is a badly implemented feature of Warpin?

    >
    > It isn't badly implemented. I notice, again, that you have just provided even
    > more destructive criticism and no constructive ideas.
    >
    >> If they want to define prerequisites, they need to use Rexx to search for
    >> those items and NOT depend upon a simple search of Warpin's database.

    >
    > Whatever. Ranting here about non-specific packages isn't going to fix anything.
    >
    >> I'd be bitching a lot less if Warpin's database did not have size
    >> limits, which are all to quickly reached.

    >
    > It doesn't. They are PM limits, probably to do with shared memory. Complain
    > to IBM.
    >
    >> (And don't keep on blaming libc bugs, sqllite is fully capable of managing
    >> the database without these size limits.)

    >
    > Who has ever complained about libc bugs with regards to WarpIN?
    > Have you got a clue what you are talking about?
    >
    > Here's a suggestion: Shut the f*ck up.

    I'd be honor to help you port the database in Warpin to Sqllite, given
    my limited knowledge of SQL.

    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  4. Re: Exiftool

    William L. Hartzell wrote:
    > I'd be honor to help you port the database in Warpin to Sqllite, given
    > my limited knowledge of SQL.
    >


    Bill,
    The Warpin database is not hitting a size limitation according to Paul.
    Since he knows the code, I'm inclined to believe him. There's no
    sense wasting time moving to another database if it isn't going to solve
    the problem. Instead, why not poke around with Theseus when you suspect
    you are nearing the "size limitation" and observe the health of the rest
    of your system.

    Paul is not thrilled with your comments, to say the least, but he did
    still manage to give you good advice to help him find the real problem.

    --
    [Reverse the parts of the e-mail address to reply.]

  5. Re: Exiftool

    On Fri, 23 May 2008 10:08:46 -0700, Marty wrote:

    > The Warpin database is not hitting a size limitation according to Paul.


    Not in WarpIN anyway. The PM side of things is a different matter and is
    essentially unfixable.

    > Since he knows the code, I'm inclined to believe him. There's no
    > sense wasting time moving to another database if it isn't going to solve
    > the problem.


    It would solve the problem, but you do wonder, if things are this close to
    the edge, how the rest of the system keeps running.
    The big question is, which database, how much effort is it going to take, and
    who's going to get upset when they don't like the result of the change?
    There are probably a few contenders:
    .INI file using XWP Helpers code instead of PM
    XML plain text file
    SQLite
    Something else

  6. Re: Exiftool

    Sir:

    Paul Ratcliffe wrote:
    > On Fri, 23 May 2008 10:08:46 -0700, Marty wrote:
    >
    >> The Warpin database is not hitting a size limitation according to Paul.

    >
    > Not in WarpIN anyway. The PM side of things is a different matter and is
    > essentially unfixable.
    >
    >> Since he knows the code, I'm inclined to believe him. There's no
    >> sense wasting time moving to another database if it isn't going to solve
    >> the problem.

    >
    > It would solve the problem, but you do wonder, if things are this close to
    > the edge, how the rest of the system keeps running.
    > The big question is, which database, how much effort is it going to take, and
    > who's going to get upset when they don't like the result of the change?
    > There are probably a few contenders:
    > .INI file using XWP Helpers code instead of PM
    > XML plain text file
    > SQLite
    > Something else

    Something is stomping on my (system/user) ini files, such that I've been
    restoring my January archive about twice per week. It is such that I
    cannot reset the desktop using either Xworkplace or WPtools reset WPS
    tools without either the Xworkplace displaying a command window or
    getting a warning about some problem in the ini. If I get the later, a
    three finger salute will save the files so that one can boot the next
    time. The former is a restore archive message as there is nothing to do
    once it appears. After I restore an archive copy, I can run checkini to
    fix for changes since January, but half the time I immediately get the
    Minimized Windows icon on the desktop that won't go away, which means
    the ini is hosed. Assuming that I get past the checkini run, Warpin
    will not work, giving either the cannot open database error, or the
    appearing/disappearing window symptom. Both can be fixed by renaming
    the database file, but at the cost of no history. About once every six
    or so restore archive passes, the original database file reads okay and
    I can use it for a few installs. Then it is back to one of the above
    problems. By now I am pissed entirely at the whole mess. I just don't
    see why the 'require' function in Warpin does not use something like a
    DOS find first/next file and search the drives before balking over the
    prerequisite, if it is really that important. Especially since many of
    these prerequisites can/should be installed from Zip files. For example
    the Perl port by Paul S., which he issues as a zip file, and is the
    prerequisite for the subject of this thread. Restoring so often does
    mean that no new program that been issued since January has icon/program
    folders/config.sys/ini entries. So the only programs that are
    preexisting has gotten new/updated code used.

    Take right now, I have 64 MiB in shared memory, max. of 118 MiB in
    private memory (system)--total ram used by private is 187 MiB, and 260
    MiB of free ram. Warpin does not want to use the original database (and
    yes, it is the one which Paul R. has seen). I just don't have this
    problem on my eCS volume (so it is not the machine). But then I've not
    installed all (any) the application updates from the past year or two
    onto it, the ones that need their dlls be loaded by the system (ie.
    Xworkplace, WPSwizard, Cairo, Dragtext, Doodle's Screen saver, etc.).
    BTW, the ini corruption shows as duplicate drives, sometimes several
    copies of the same set of drives or parts thereof. Know this as I can
    start Xfix from the command windows that appears when the ini are
    irreparably damage. Plus, the index or whatever is used is off by one
    or more between the label and the handle; checkini will delete the
    entire file as handle/object not found.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  7. Re: Exiftool

    Hi Bill:

    Just to help you out a bit, when I encountered
    problems installing Perl and ExifTool a few months ago,
    it was noted that Paul did not release Perl in Warpin,
    but a third party did, and uploaded that to other
    sites.

    Paul's Perl is available on his site:
    http://www.smedley.info/os2ports/index.php?page=perl

    And ExifTool here:
    http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

    So that should make it all trivial.

    As far as your INI files are concerned, have you
    thoroughly cleaned them?

    have fun!
    lin Baden


    In <483a462d$0$3356$4c368faf@roadrunner.com>, "William L. Hartzell" writes:
    >Sir:
    >
    >Paul Ratcliffe wrote:
    >> On Fri, 23 May 2008 10:08:46 -0700, Marty wrote:
    >>
    >>> The Warpin database is not hitting a size limitation according to Paul.

    >>
    >> Not in WarpIN anyway. The PM side of things is a different matter and is
    >> essentially unfixable.
    >>
    >>> Since he knows the code, I'm inclined to believe him. There's no
    >>> sense wasting time moving to another database if it isn't going to solve
    >>> the problem.

    >>
    >> It would solve the problem, but you do wonder, if things are this close to
    >> the edge, how the rest of the system keeps running.
    >> The big question is, which database, how much effort is it going to take, and
    >> who's going to get upset when they don't like the result of the change?
    >> There are probably a few contenders:
    >> .INI file using XWP Helpers code instead of PM
    >> XML plain text file
    >> SQLite
    >> Something else

    >Something is stomping on my (system/user) ini files, such that I've been
    >restoring my January archive about twice per week. It is such that I
    >cannot reset the desktop using either Xworkplace or WPtools reset WPS
    >tools without either the Xworkplace displaying a command window or
    >getting a warning about some problem in the ini. If I get the later, a
    >three finger salute will save the files so that one can boot the next
    >time. The former is a restore archive message as there is nothing to do
    >once it appears. After I restore an archive copy, I can run checkini to
    >fix for changes since January, but half the time I immediately get the
    >Minimized Windows icon on the desktop that won't go away, which means
    >the ini is hosed. Assuming that I get past the checkini run, Warpin
    >will not work, giving either the cannot open database error, or the
    >appearing/disappearing window symptom. Both can be fixed by renaming
    >the database file, but at the cost of no history. About once every six
    >or so restore archive passes, the original database file reads okay and
    >I can use it for a few installs. Then it is back to one of the above
    >problems. By now I am pissed entirely at the whole mess. I just don't
    >see why the 'require' function in Warpin does not use something like a
    >DOS find first/next file and search the drives before balking over the
    >prerequisite, if it is really that important. Especially since many of
    >these prerequisites can/should be installed from Zip files. For example
    >the Perl port by Paul S., which he issues as a zip file, and is the
    >prerequisite for the subject of this thread. Restoring so often does
    >mean that no new program that been issued since January has icon/program
    >folders/config.sys/ini entries. So the only programs that are
    >preexisting has gotten new/updated code used.
    >
    >Take right now, I have 64 MiB in shared memory, max. of 118 MiB in
    >private memory (system)--total ram used by private is 187 MiB, and 260
    >MiB of free ram. Warpin does not want to use the original database (and
    >yes, it is the one which Paul R. has seen). I just don't have this
    >problem on my eCS volume (so it is not the machine). But then I've not
    >installed all (any) the application updates from the past year or two
    >onto it, the ones that need their dlls be loaded by the system (ie.
    >Xworkplace, WPSwizard, Cairo, Dragtext, Doodle's Screen saver, etc.).
    >BTW, the ini corruption shows as duplicate drives, sometimes several
    >copies of the same set of drives or parts thereof. Know this as I can
    >start Xfix from the command windows that appears when the ini are
    >irreparably damage. Plus, the index or whatever is used is off by one
    >or more between the label and the handle; checkini will delete the
    >entire file as handle/object not found.
    >--
    >Bill
    >Thanks a Million!




    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Let Ignorance and Intolerance Rule!

    Baden Kudrenecky
    baden@baden.nu
    http://baden.nu/
    -----------------------------------------------------------



  8. Re: Exiftool

    On 05/25/08 10:10 pm, William L. Hartzell wrote:
    > Sir:
    >
    > Paul Ratcliffe wrote:
    >> On Fri, 23 May 2008 10:08:46 -0700, Marty
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> The Warpin database is not hitting a size limitation according to Paul.

    >>
    >> Not in WarpIN anyway. The PM side of things is a different matter and is
    >> essentially unfixable.
    >>
    >>> Since he knows the code, I'm inclined to believe him. There's no
    >>> sense wasting time moving to another database if it isn't going to
    >>> solve the problem.

    >>
    >> It would solve the problem, but you do wonder, if things are this
    >> close to
    >> the edge, how the rest of the system keeps running.
    >> The big question is, which database, how much effort is it going to
    >> take, and
    >> who's going to get upset when they don't like the result of the change?
    >> There are probably a few contenders:
    >> .INI file using XWP Helpers code instead of PM
    >> XML plain text file
    >> SQLite
    >> Something else

    > Something is stomping on my (system/user) ini files, such that I've been
    > restoring my January archive about twice per week. It is such that I
    > cannot reset the desktop using either Xworkplace or WPtools reset WPS
    > tools without either the Xworkplace displaying a command window or
    > getting a warning about some problem in the ini. If I get the later, a
    > three finger salute will save the files so that one can boot the next
    > time. The former is a restore archive message as there is nothing to do
    > once it appears. After I restore an archive copy, I can run checkini to
    > fix for changes since January, but half the time I immediately get the
    > Minimized Windows icon on the desktop that won't go away, which means
    > the ini is hosed. Assuming that I get past the checkini run, Warpin will
    > not work, giving either the cannot open database error, or the
    > appearing/disappearing window symptom. Both can be fixed by renaming the
    > database file, but at the cost of no history. About once every six or so
    > restore archive passes, the original database file reads okay and I can
    > use it for a few installs. Then it is back to one of the above problems.
    > By now I am pissed entirely at the whole mess. I just don't see why the
    > 'require' function in Warpin does not use something like a DOS find
    > first/next file and search the drives before balking over the
    > prerequisite, if it is really that important. Especially since many of
    > these prerequisites can/should be installed from Zip files. For example
    > the Perl port by Paul S., which he issues as a zip file, and is the
    > prerequisite for the subject of this thread. Restoring so often does
    > mean that no new program that been issued since January has icon/program
    > folders/config.sys/ini entries. So the only programs that are
    > preexisting has gotten new/updated code used.
    >
    > Take right now, I have 64 MiB in shared memory, max. of 118 MiB in
    > private memory (system)--total ram used by private is 187 MiB, and 260
    > MiB of free ram. Warpin does not want to use the original database (and
    > yes, it is the one which Paul R. has seen). I just don't have this
    > problem on my eCS volume (so it is not the machine). But then I've not
    > installed all (any) the application updates from the past year or two
    > onto it, the ones that need their dlls be loaded by the system (ie.
    > Xworkplace, WPSwizard, Cairo, Dragtext, Doodle's Screen saver, etc.).
    > BTW, the ini corruption shows as duplicate drives, sometimes several
    > copies of the same set of drives or parts thereof. Know this as I can
    > start Xfix from the command windows that appears when the ini are
    > irreparably damage. Plus, the index or whatever is used is off by one or
    > more between the label and the handle; checkini will delete the entire
    > file as handle/object not found.


    I had bad luck with WPSwizard, WPS crashing, system crashing so I
    uninstalled it (actually reverted to a backup made just before
    installing). I'd suggest trying to uninstall or better yet restoring
    *ini from just before you installed.
    Dave

  9. Re: Exiftool

    William L. Hartzell wrote:
    > Something is stomping on my (system/user) ini files, such that I've been
    > restoring my January archive about twice per week. ...


    Sounds like an absolutely miserable experience, and one that you really
    need to get to the bottom of before you can reasonably expect ANY
    application to work. Strip down the system (starting with software)
    until it is stable again, then start adding to the stable platform.
    Easier said than done, I know. But you really can't just live with it
    like this.

    --
    [Reverse the parts of the e-mail address to reply.]

  10. Re: Exiftool

    On Fri, 23 May 2008 09:56:52 UTC, "William L. Hartzell"
    wrote:

    > Sir:
    > /RANT on
    > IN hope someone(s) will take this as constructive suggestions.
    >
    > Another author used the poorly thought out Warpin directive "requires"
    > and failed to install using his script. Needless to say, the
    > prerequisite does exist and is just where it has been for the past
    > installs of his tool. When are authors going to read posts telling them
    > that "requires" is a badly implemented feature of Warpin? If they want
    > to define prerequisites, they need to use Rexx to search for those items
    > and NOT depend upon a simple search of Warpin's database. OF course,
    > I'd be bitching a lot less if Warpin's database did not have size
    > limits, which are all to quickly reached. (And don't keep on blaming
    > libc bugs, sqllite is fully capable of managing the database without
    > these size limits.)
    > /RANT off


    REQUIRES does exactly what it is documented and intended to do. There
    may be some poorly designed packages, but it is not a problem with
    WarpIN.

    --
    Chuck McKinnis


  11. Mr Hartzell's unstable system

    Sir:

    Marty wrote:
    > William L. Hartzell wrote:
    >> Something is stomping on my (system/user) ini files, such that I've
    >> been restoring my January archive about twice per week. ...

    >
    > Sounds like an absolutely miserable experience, and one that you really
    > need to get to the bottom of before you can reasonably expect ANY
    > application to work. Strip down the system (starting with software)
    > until it is stable again, then start adding to the stable platform.
    > Easier said than done, I know. But you really can't just live with it
    > like this.
    >

    To date, I've uninstall Xworkplace & WPSwizard (where there might be
    some problem). I've also found that my Cleanini log file had reached 2
    GiB size, which I've since deleted (may or may not have been causing
    Cleanini to misbehave). I've still got something messing with Handles0.
    Everything be fine running with Handles1, but upon reboot everything
    is crap. Regedit/2 shows different values for Handles0/handles1 just
    before this happens (just in block 1). I can run Checkini and create
    two good copies, and everything will be ok on next boot. BTW, it may be
    an IBM bug I'm seeing as the difference appears after I've install new
    program objects. It seems that I am taking two steps forward and one
    back in attempts to install the newer applications. I got a fairly good
    archive on the 29th of last month. One boot Warpin works, the next it
    won't. That problem is still there. The problem of duplicate sections
    of drives' handles seems to be gone when I removed Xworkplace (this I
    really miss). The problem of disappearing newly installed objects went
    away with WPSwizard's uninstall (got to have my month gadget). So there
    is one or more buggy applications I got to find. BTW, I removed and
    reinstalled about two dozen applications so far. This hit or miss trial
    is not very scientific and is very time consuming. I've not had the
    time to check when the bug in Xworkplace arrive, ditto for WPSwizard (I
    do have most of the prior releases of both). I know that probably I am
    the only one to experience these bugs...sigh.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  12. Re: Mr Hartzell's unstable system


    William L. Hartzell schrieb:
    > Sir:
    >
    > Marty wrote:
    >> William L. Hartzell wrote:
    >>> Something is stomping on my (system/user) ini files, such that I've
    >>> been restoring my January archive about twice per week. ...

    >>
    >> Sounds like an absolutely miserable experience, and one that you
    >> really need to get to the bottom of before you can reasonably expect
    >> ANY application to work. Strip down the system (starting with
    >> software) until it is stable again, then start adding to the stable
    >> platform. Easier said than done, I know. But you really can't just
    >> live with it like this.
    >>

    > To date, I've uninstall Xworkplace & WPSwizard (where there might be
    > some problem). I've also found that my Cleanini log file had reached 2
    > GiB size, which I've since deleted (may or may not have been causing
    > Cleanini to misbehave). I've still got something messing with Handles0.
    > Everything be fine running with Handles1, but upon reboot everything is
    > crap. Regedit/2 shows different values for Handles0/handles1 just
    > before this happens (just in block 1). I can run Checkini and create
    > two good copies, and everything will be ok on next boot. BTW, it may be
    > an IBM bug I'm seeing as the difference appears after I've install new
    > program objects. It seems that I am taking two steps forward and one
    > back in attempts to install the newer applications. I got a fairly good
    > archive on the 29th of last month. One boot Warpin works, the next it
    > won't. That problem is still there. The problem of duplicate sections
    > of drives' handles seems to be gone when I removed Xworkplace (this I
    > really miss). The problem of disappearing newly installed objects went
    > away with WPSwizard's uninstall (got to have my month gadget). So there
    > is one or more buggy applications I got to find. BTW, I removed and
    > reinstalled about two dozen applications so far. This hit or miss trial
    > is not very scientific and is very time consuming. I've not had the
    > time to check when the bug in Xworkplace arrive, ditto for WPSwizard (I
    > do have most of the prior releases of both). I know that probably I am
    > the only one to experience these bugs...sigh.


    Do you know, that you've to turn off 'turbo folders' in xwp when using wps wizard?

  13. Re: Mr Hartzell's unstable system

    Sir:

    Andi B. wrote:
    >
    > William L. Hartzell schrieb:
    >> Sir:
    >>
    >> Marty wrote:
    >>> William L. Hartzell wrote:
    >>>> Something is stomping on my (system/user) ini files, such that I've
    >>>> been restoring my January archive about twice per week. ...
    >>>
    >>> Sounds like an absolutely miserable experience, and one that you
    >>> really need to get to the bottom of before you can reasonably expect
    >>> ANY application to work. Strip down the system (starting with
    >>> software) until it is stable again, then start adding to the stable
    >>> platform. Easier said than done, I know. But you really can't just
    >>> live with it like this.
    >>>

    >> To date, I've uninstall Xworkplace & WPSwizard (where there might be
    >> some problem). I've also found that my Cleanini log file had reached
    >> 2 GiB size, which I've since deleted (may or may not have been causing
    >> Cleanini to misbehave). I've still got something messing with
    >> Handles0. Everything be fine running with Handles1, but upon reboot
    >> everything is crap. Regedit/2 shows different values for
    >> Handles0/handles1 just before this happens (just in block 1). I can
    >> run Checkini and create two good copies, and everything will be ok on
    >> next boot. BTW, it may be an IBM bug I'm seeing as the difference
    >> appears after I've install new program objects. It seems that I am
    >> taking two steps forward and one back in attempts to install the newer
    >> applications. I got a fairly good archive on the 29th of last month.
    >> One boot Warpin works, the next it won't. That problem is still
    >> there. The problem of duplicate sections of drives' handles seems to
    >> be gone when I removed Xworkplace (this I really miss). The problem
    >> of disappearing newly installed objects went away with WPSwizard's
    >> uninstall (got to have my month gadget). So there is one or more
    >> buggy applications I got to find. BTW, I removed and reinstalled
    >> about two dozen applications so far. This hit or miss trial is not
    >> very scientific and is very time consuming. I've not had the time to
    >> check when the bug in Xworkplace arrive, ditto for WPSwizard (I do
    >> have most of the prior releases of both). I know that probably I am
    >> the only one to experience these bugs...sigh.

    >
    > Do you know, that you've to turn off 'turbo folders' in xwp when using
    > wps wizard?

    No. One feature I did not use, I think.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  14. Re: Mr Hartzell's unstable system

    On 06/03/08 01:27 pm, Andi B. wrote:

    > Do you know, that you've to turn off 'turbo folders' in xwp when using
    > wps wizard?


    Turbo folders is one of those "incomplete" features that has never had
    all the wrinkles ironed out; perhaps WPS Wizard exacerbates it?

  15. Re: Mr Hartzell's unstable system

    Sir:

    Steve Wendt wrote:
    > On 06/03/08 01:27 pm, Andi B. wrote:
    >
    >> Do you know, that you've to turn off 'turbo folders' in xwp when using
    >> wps wizard?

    >
    > Turbo folders is one of those "incomplete" features that has never had
    > all the wrinkles ironed out; perhaps WPS Wizard exacerbates it?

    This is possible, but when I was testing, I had neither installed at the
    same time.

    I've since experienced duplicate drive handles big time without
    Xworkplace installed. This unstable system seems to be having problems
    with installers* adding programs. Checkini will delete any new program
    object or shadow or experience this duplicate handle bug. (I can
    manually create the objects and get the program objects to pass Checkini.)

    Does anyone know if it is normal for the block 1s in the WPS_WORKPLACE
    handles to differ in ordinary use? I am talking about the copy that
    Regedit/2 uses. It seems that Handles0 block 1 changes all the time,
    but Handles1' block 1 does not.

    Just like my experiences with Xworkplace, if Checkini finds duplicate
    drive handles, and I immediately reboot without letting Checkini finish,
    then the next boot is ok. But if I let Checkini write corrections, all
    is hosed. This is the same as if I let Xworkplace do anything during
    shutdown when it find problems, then all is hosed. Why would OS/2's
    normal shutdown write of the system ini fix this problem?

    *All installers: Rexx scripts, IBM installer, Warpin installer, etc.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  16. Re: Exiftool

    On Mon, 26 May 2008 00:10:08 -0500, William L. Hartzell
    wrote:

    > Something is stomping on my (system/user) ini files, such that I've been
    > restoring my January archive about twice per week.


    And you wonder why other stuff stops working?

    > I just don't
    > see why the 'require' function in Warpin does not use something like a
    > DOS find first/next file and search the drives before balking over the
    > prerequisite, if it is really that important.


    Change the bleedin' record will you?

    > Especially since many of these prerequisites can/should be installed from
    > Zip files.




    > Warpin does not want to use the original database (and
    > yes, it is the one which Paul R. has seen).


    PM doesn't want to open the INI file. HOW MANY TIMES DO YOU NEED TO BE TOLD
    THE SAME THING?

    > I just don't have this problem on my eCS volume (so it is not the machine).
    > But then I've not installed all (any) the application updates from the past
    > year or two onto it


    Well, Einstein, there's your answer.

  17. Re: Mr Hartzell's unstable system

    Sir:

    William L. Hartzell wrote:
    > Sir:
    >
    > Steve Wendt wrote:
    >> On 06/03/08 01:27 pm, Andi B. wrote:
    >>
    >>> Do you know, that you've to turn off 'turbo folders' in xwp when
    >>> using wps wizard?

    >>
    >> Turbo folders is one of those "incomplete" features that has never had
    >> all the wrinkles ironed out; perhaps WPS Wizard exacerbates it?

    > This is possible, but when I was testing, I had neither installed at the
    > same time.
    >
    > I've since experienced duplicate drive handles big time without
    > Xworkplace installed. This unstable system seems to be having problems
    > with installers* adding programs. Checkini will delete any new program
    > object or shadow or experience this duplicate handle bug. (I can
    > manually create the objects and get the program objects to pass Checkini.)
    >
    > Does anyone know if it is normal for the block 1s in the WPS_WORKPLACE
    > handles to differ in ordinary use? I am talking about the copy that
    > Regedit/2 uses. It seems that Handles0 block 1 changes all the time,
    > but Handles1' block 1 does not.
    >
    > Just like my experiences with Xworkplace, if Checkini finds duplicate
    > drive handles, and I immediately reboot without letting Checkini finish,
    > then the next boot is ok. But if I let Checkini write corrections, all
    > is hosed. This is the same as if I let Xworkplace do anything during
    > shutdown when it find problems, then all is hosed. Why would OS/2's
    > normal shutdown write of the system ini fix this problem?
    >
    > *All installers: Rexx scripts, IBM installer, Warpin installer, etc.


    Well, this is moot now except for future references. I blew off the
    system that had been installed for five years. So I'll be spending the
    next few months reinstalling the world.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  18. Re: Mr Hartzell's unstable system

    I've used the same install for 9+ years during 4 upgrades to new
    hardware platforms. The advice I would offer to avoid the painful
    reinstall would be:

    1) Avoid installing fancy new stuff unless you have tested it first and
    are sure that it will not compromise stability. After testing a new
    piece of software which plays with any part of the Workplace Shell,
    restore your .ini files from an archived set unless you decide to keep
    the software installed.

    2) Make a full backup of your entire hard drive at periodic intervals
    using a backup hard disk that is dedicated to solely that purpose.


    William L. Hartzell wrote:
    > Sir:
    >
    > William L. Hartzell wrote:
    >> Sir:
    >>
    >> Steve Wendt wrote:
    >>> On 06/03/08 01:27 pm, Andi B. wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Do you know, that you've to turn off 'turbo folders' in xwp when
    >>>> using wps wizard?
    >>>
    >>> Turbo folders is one of those "incomplete" features that has never
    >>> had all the wrinkles ironed out; perhaps WPS Wizard exacerbates it?

    >> This is possible, but when I was testing, I had neither installed at
    >> the same time.
    >>
    >> I've since experienced duplicate drive handles big time without
    >> Xworkplace installed. This unstable system seems to be having
    >> problems with installers* adding programs. Checkini will delete any
    >> new program object or shadow or experience this duplicate handle bug.
    >> (I can manually create the objects and get the program objects to pass
    >> Checkini.)
    >>
    >> Does anyone know if it is normal for the block 1s in the WPS_WORKPLACE
    >> handles to differ in ordinary use? I am talking about the copy that
    >> Regedit/2 uses. It seems that Handles0 block 1 changes all the time,
    >> but Handles1' block 1 does not.
    >>
    >> Just like my experiences with Xworkplace, if Checkini finds duplicate
    >> drive handles, and I immediately reboot without letting Checkini
    >> finish, then the next boot is ok. But if I let Checkini write
    >> corrections, all is hosed. This is the same as if I let Xworkplace do
    >> anything during shutdown when it find problems, then all is hosed.
    >> Why would OS/2's normal shutdown write of the system ini fix this
    >> problem?
    >>
    >> *All installers: Rexx scripts, IBM installer, Warpin installer, etc.

    >
    > Well, this is moot now except for future references. I blew off the
    > system that had been installed for five years. So I'll be spending the
    > next few months reinstalling the world.



    --
    Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    and Sea Monkey 1.5a

  19. Re: Exiftool

    Sir:

    Paul Ratcliffe wrote:
    > On Mon, 26 May 2008 00:10:08 -0500, William L. Hartzell
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Something is stomping on my (system/user) ini files, such that I've been
    >> restoring my January archive about twice per week.

    >
    > And you wonder why other stuff stops working?
    >
    >> I just don't
    >> see why the 'require' function in Warpin does not use something like a
    >> DOS find first/next file and search the drives before balking over the
    >> prerequisite, if it is really that important.

    >
    > Change the bleedin' record will you?
    >
    >> Especially since many of these prerequisites can/should be installed from
    >> Zip files.

    >
    >
    >
    >> Warpin does not want to use the original database (and
    >> yes, it is the one which Paul R. has seen).

    >
    > PM doesn't want to open the INI file. HOW MANY TIMES DO YOU NEED TO BE TOLD
    > THE SAME THING?
    >
    >> I just don't have this problem on my eCS volume (so it is not the machine).
    >> But then I've not installed all (any) the application updates from the past
    >> year or two onto it

    >
    > Well, Einstein, there's your answer.

    I've narrowed down the problem to Xworkplace. The latest has the
    problem, but 1.04 does not. Will be experimenting to find out in which
    version the bug arrived. My guess that the bug is in the shutdown
    routines as with everything else disabled but that, the bug appears.
    BTW, this is still almost virgin system. Cairo does NOT cause the
    problem, but I've not installed any programs that use it (so that may be
    moot as to its bugs).
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  20. Re: Exiftool

    Sir:

    William L. Hartzell wrote:
    > Sir:
    >
    > Paul Ratcliffe wrote:
    >> On Mon, 26 May 2008 00:10:08 -0500, William L. Hartzell
    >>
    >> wrote:


    >>
    >>> I just don't have this problem on my eCS volume (so it is not the
    >>> machine).
    >>> But then I've not installed all (any) the application updates from
    >>> the past
    >>> year or two onto it

    >>
    >> Well, Einstein, there's your answer.

    > I've narrowed down the problem to Xworkplace. The latest has the
    > problem, but 1.04 does not. Will be experimenting to find out in which
    > version the bug arrived. My guess that the bug is in the shutdown
    > routines as with everything else disabled but that, the bug appears.
    > BTW, this is still almost virgin system. Cairo does NOT cause the
    > problem, but I've not installed any programs that use it (so that may be
    > moot as to its bugs).

    Ok. Version 1.04 appears to be the most stable. I am getting random
    crashes upon boot with 1.05, the kind that requires the red switch. Did
    not get them with 1.07, so that is most likely already fixed. Since I
    don't have 1.06, this ends my testing, unless you wish to send to me a
    debug version to capture some data (or instructions to do this with
    existing code), assuming you are not reproducing these bugs on your machine.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast