LPT1 has disappeared - OS2

This is a discussion on LPT1 has disappeared - OS2 ; I recently installed a new Asus M2N-E mobo, but OS/2 can't find LPT1. It's enabled in the BIOS at IRQ7, 378, etc. but I can't print to it nor does it show up with rmview /irq. I've tried various settings ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

  1. LPT1 has disappeared

    I recently installed a new Asus M2N-E mobo, but OS/2 can't find LPT1.
    It's enabled in the BIOS at IRQ7, 378, etc. but I can't print to it nor
    does it show up with rmview /irq. I've tried various settings ("normal"
    ECP, EPP, and bi-directional are the choices available), but no soap.
    Google didn't return any threads about this problem. Have I missed
    something simple?

    TIA,
    Pete

    --

  2. Re: LPT1 has disappeared

    Pete wrote:
    > I recently installed a new Asus M2N-E mobo, but OS/2 can't find LPT1.
    > It's enabled in the BIOS at IRQ7, 378, etc. but I can't print to it nor
    > does it show up with rmview /irq. I've tried various settings ("normal"
    > ECP, EPP, and bi-directional are the choices available), but no soap.
    > Google didn't return any threads about this problem. Have I missed
    > something simple?

    You need to have the latest version of print01.sys. You can see what
    version you have by changing to the x:\os2\boot directory and typing

    BLDLEVEL PRINT01.SYS

    at the command prompt. The newest (last) version was 10.49. There also
    needs to be a statement in config.sys to load the driver as in

    BASEDEV=PRINT01.SYS

    If the above are done and the port will still not work, then possibly
    the motherboard is defective (try the port with another os to see if it
    works). It's also possible that the print01.sys driver will not work
    with the m2n-e parallel port but that's very doubtful as the parallel
    ports are an old standard that hasn't changed in many years. More
    likely, then, is that the motherboard parallel port support has some
    defect that might be cured with a bios update.

    --
    Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    and Sea Monkey 1.5a

  3. Re: LPT1 has disappeared

    David T. Johnson writes:

    > You need to have the latest version of print01.sys. You can see what
    > version you have by changing to the x:\os2\boot directory and typing
    >
    > BLDLEVEL PRINT01.SYS
    >
    > at the command prompt. The newest (last) version was 10.49.

    Why is 10.49 newer and later than the 10.70 that I have on my system?

  4. Re: LPT1 has disappeared

    tholen@antispam.ham wrote:
    > David T. Johnson writes:
    >
    >> You need to have the latest version of print01.sys. You can see what
    >> version you have by changing to the x:\os2\boot directory and typing
    >>
    >> BLDLEVEL PRINT01.SYS
    >>
    >> at the command prompt. The newest (last) version was 10.49.

    > Why is 10.49 newer and later than the 10.70 that I have on my system?

    Good catch. Device Driver fixpack 3 shipped with bldlevel 10.70 of
    print01.sys so that *may* correctly be the last/latest version. It
    looks like Warp 4.52 shipped with 10.58 so bldlevel 10.49 was not even
    close to the latest.

    --
    Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    and Sea Monkey 1.5a

  5. Re: LPT1 has disappeared

    On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 17:41:22 UTC, Peter Brown
    wrote:

    > Hi Pete
    >
    > Pete wrote:
    > > I recently installed a new Asus M2N-E mobo, but OS/2 can't find LPT1.
    > > It's enabled in the BIOS at IRQ7, 378, etc. but I can't print to it nor
    > > does it show up with rmview /irq. I've tried various settings ("normal"
    > > ECP, EPP, and bi-directional are the choices available), but no soap.
    > > Google didn't return any threads about this problem. Have I missed
    > > something simple?
    > >
    > > TIA,
    > > Pete
    > >

    > You do not mention that you installed the bracket with the lpt port on -
    > the M2N-E does not come with that port on the maiboard; maybe you have
    > the M2N-E SLI?
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Pete

    > BLDLEVEL PRINT01.SYS

    [C:\]bldlevel C:\os2\boot\print01.sys
    Build Level Display Facility Version 6.12.675 Sep 25 2001
    (C) Copyright IBM Corporation 1993-2001
    Signature: @#IBM:10.070#@ Printer ISA/EISA Device Driver-SMP
    Vendor: IBM
    Revision: 10.70
    File Version: 10.70

    It turns out what was needed is to substitute PAR1284.SYS for
    PRINT01.SYS. I suddenly remember that I tweaked this with my v4.50
    system several years ago, and it got lost (er, forgotton) in the
    shuffle, somehow. Maybe one day those spray on hair people will market a
    spray on cobweb remover. LPT1 now shows up in rmview /irq right where
    it's supposed to on IRQ7. The printer still won't print, but this could
    be because 1) that I may have accidentally plugged that LTP1 bracket in
    bacwards or 2) a question of changing "normal" to "bi-directional" in
    the bios. Reconnecting the cables to box 1 after taking it out of it's
    cubbyhole is a bit of a pain, so I'm waiting for one more item which
    needs to be added before I open it up.

    Thanks,
    Pete

    --

  6. Re: LPT1 has disappeared

    Pete wrote:
    > On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 17:41:22 UTC, Peter Brown
    > wrote:

    >>BLDLEVEL PRINT01.SYS

    > [C:\]bldlevel C:\os2\boot\print01.sys
    > Build Level Display Facility Version 6.12.675 Sep 25 2001
    > (C) Copyright IBM Corporation 1993-2001
    > Signature: @#IBM:10.070#@ Printer ISA/EISA Device Driver-SMP
    > Vendor: IBM
    > Revision: 10.70
    > File Version: 10.70
    >
    > It turns out what was needed is to substitute PAR1284.SYS for
    > PRINT01.SYS

    > Thanks,
    > Pete

    What's the significance of PAR1284.SYS? I ask because I have had
    problems with printing to LPT1 (although actually on ECS 1.2R) and I am
    just curious.
    Regards
    Peter

  7. Re: LPT1 has disappeared

    On Tue, 13 May 2008 07:33:11 UTC, Peter J Seymour
    wrote:

    > Pete wrote:
    > > On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 17:41:22 UTC, Peter Brown
    > > wrote:

    > >>BLDLEVEL PRINT01.SYS

    > > [C:\]bldlevel C:\os2\boot\print01.sys
    > > Build Level Display Facility Version 6.12.675 Sep 25 2001
    > > (C) Copyright IBM Corporation 1993-2001
    > > Signature: @#IBM:10.070#@ Printer ISA/EISA Device Driver-SMP
    > > Vendor: IBM
    > > Revision: 10.70
    > > File Version: 10.70
    > >
    > > It turns out what was needed is to substitute PAR1284.SYS for
    > > PRINT01.SYS

    > > Thanks,
    > > Pete
    > >

    > What's the significance of PAR1284.SYS? I ask because I have had
    > problems with printing to LPT1 (although actually on ECS 1.2R) and I am
    > just curious.
    > Regards
    > Peter

    From the BIDI package readme:

    "The bi-directional parallel port printing solution is a set of OS/2
    executable files that
    enables the print spooler to communicate in both directions with
    parallel port attached
    printers. The print spooler uses this method of communication to
    identify printers
    (automatic presentation driver configuration), to query printer status
    and capabilities
    and to support remote operator panel features. In cases where ECP is
    able to
    be negotiated, a higher through put will be achieved and less system
    resources
    will be used (only when operating without Lexmark and HP protocol
    converters)."

    This package includes an upgraded PARALLEL.PDR, which needs to be
    installed along with PAR1284.SYS. If you switch to this driver be sure
    to rem PRINT01.SYS, or your system will trap during booting.

    The bidi package is still available from:
    ftp://ftp.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/os2/os2ddpak_cur/

    My printer is a Panasonic KX-P2023, which up until I installed the M2N-E
    was working quite nicely. It still isn't "working", and the next thing
    to check is to see if I plugged in the LPT bracket's cable correctly on
    the mobo (a operation which requires crawing around behind and
    underneath the desk in order to unplug cables (pluggin them in is a
    little difficult). Originally, I had three parallel printers on LPT1
    using a selector switch. Several years ago the HP 4500-DN got moved to
    another room, so it became a network printer. A few days ago I changed
    the Epson 980 to USB because of this LPT1 problem, but the KX-P2023 is
    parallel only. I did get it to work as a network printer using a
    Trendnet TE100-P1P mini print server, but it was a bit "slow". Since I
    need to print to this using Wordstar, back to LPT1, unless I can get the
    WS's dos printer drivers to print to a network printer, which I haven't
    quite figured out yet.

    Pete

    --

  8. Re: LPT1 has disappeared

    On Mon, 12 May 2008 23:31:20 UTC, "David T. Johnson" wrote:

    > tholen@antispam.ham wrote:
    > > David T. Johnson writes:
    > >
    > >> You need to have the latest version of print01.sys. You can see what
    > >> version you have by changing to the x:\os2\boot directory and typing
    > >>
    > >> BLDLEVEL PRINT01.SYS
    > >>
    > >> at the command prompt. The newest (last) version was 10.49.

    > > Why is 10.49 newer and later than the 10.70 that I have on my system?
    > >

    > Good catch. Device Driver fixpack 3 shipped with bldlevel 10.70 of
    > print01.sys so that *may* correctly be the last/latest version. It
    > looks like Warp 4.52 shipped with 10.58 so bldlevel 10.49 was not even
    > close to the latest.

    Hmm. . .

    I have:

    (0)[F:\os2\boot]bldlevel print01.sys
    Build Level Display Facility Version 5.59.105 Mar 15 1999
    (C) Copyright IBM Corporation 1993-1999
    Signature: @#IBM:10.068#@ Printer ISA/EISA Device Driver-UNI
    Vendor: IBM
    Revision: 10.68
    File Version: 10.68

    . . .on my WSeB system. Apparently there's a newer version, 10.70?

    Do you know where can I grab it? Many of the IBM sites seem to be
    changed or gone.

    --
    Best,
    Erick Andrews

  9. Re: LPT1 has disappeared

    On Tue, 13 May 2008 18:25:20 UTC, "Pete" wrote:

    > This package includes an upgraded PARALLEL.PDR, which needs to be
    > installed along with PAR1284.SYS. If you switch to this driver be sure
    > to rem PRINT01.SYS, or your system will trap during booting.
    >
    > The bidi package is still available from:
    > ftp://ftp.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/os2/os2ddpak_cur/

    Great!! I Bookmarked it and am downloading bidi.exe.

    Thanks.

    --
    Best,
    Erick Andrews

  10. Re: LPT1 has disappeared

    1.) is PRINT01.SYS in config.sys ?
    2.) rmview /irq will only succeed if you enable IRQ on print01.sys:
    BASEDEV=PRINT01.SYS /IRQ

    Lars

    "Pete" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >I recently installed a new Asus M2N-E mobo, but OS/2 can't find LPT1.
    > It's enabled in the BIOS at IRQ7, 378, etc. but I can't print to it nor
    > does it show up with rmview /irq. I've tried various settings ("normal"
    > ECP, EPP, and bi-directional are the choices available), but no soap.
    > Google didn't return any threads about this problem. Have I missed
    > something simple?
    >
    > TIA,
    > Pete
    >

    > --

  11. Re: LPT1 has disappeared

    On Thu, 15 May 2008 00:31:52 UTC, "Lars Erdmann"
    wrote:

    > 1.) is PRINT01.SYS in config.sys ?
    > 2.) rmview /irq will only succeed if you enable IRQ on print01.sys:
    > BASEDEV=PRINT01.SYS /IRQ

    In addition to that: boot at least once with "Full hardware
    detection" enabled.

    --
    Ruediger "Rudi" Ihle [S&T Systemtechnik GmbH, Germany]
    http://www.s-t.de

  12. Re: LPT1 has disappeared

    wrote:

    > 1.) is PRINT01.SYS in config.sys ?
    > 2.) rmview /irq will only succeed if you enable IRQ on print01.sys:
    > BASEDEV=PRINT01.SYS /IRQ
    >
    > Lars
    >
    > "Pete" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > >I recently installed a new Asus M2N-E mobo, but OS/2 can't find LPT1.
    > > It's enabled in the BIOS at IRQ7, 378, etc. but I can't print to it nor
    > > does it show up with rmview /irq. I've tried various settings ("normal"
    > > ECP, EPP, and bi-directional are the choices available), but no soap.
    > > Google didn't return any threads about this problem. Have I missed
    > > something simple?
    > >
    > > TIA,
    > > Pete

    Thanks, /IRQ did the trick with print01.sys. I went back to it because
    using PAR1284.SYS seemed to be causing lockups whenever I opened a
    Win-OS2 window. The plug on cable for the LPT riser on the mobo wasn't
    making good contact--either driver works ok except for the Win-OS2
    problem. Now all I'd like to do is get Wordstar to print to it--no
    success yet-- because WS will print in bi-directional draft, meaning the
    print head prints L to R and then the next line R to L and so on
    (Panasonic KX-P2023). The mobo is an M2N-E. not an M2N-E SLI, and the
    manual says precious little about LPT1.

    Pete

    --

  13. Re: LPT1 has disappeared

    On Sat, 17 May 2008 21:06:06 UTC, "Pete"
    wrote:

    > On Thu, 15 May 2008 00:31:52 UTC, "Lars Erdmann"
    > wrote:
    >
    > Thanks, /IRQ did the trick with print01.sys. I went back to it because
    > using PAR1284.SYS seemed to be causing lockups whenever I opened a
    > Win-OS2 window. The plug on cable for the LPT riser on the mobo wasn't
    > making good contact--either driver works ok except for the Win-OS2
    > problem. Now all I'd like to do is get Wordstar to print to it--no
    > success yet-- because WS will print in bi-directional draft, meaning the
    > print head prints L to R and then the next line R to L and so on
    > (Panasonic KX-P2023). The mobo is an M2N-E. not an M2N-E SLI, and the
    > manual says precious little about LPT1.
    >
    > Pete

    I also use WordStar 7.0d under OS/2. I set the printer driver in
    WordStar itself and then print to the NULL Driver in the OS/2 Print
    listings. This works fine for me. I guess the key is whether WS
    supports your printer. I use a ProWriter (C-Itoh 8510) Also a
    Panasonic KXP-1124i that I got working under WS. I know I fiddled
    with these drivers under WS's ability to modify print drivers - but
    that was years ago. One of my two Panasonic (WS) drivers emulates an
    IBM which the 1124i was able to do.
    Paul
    --

  14. Re: LPT1 has disappeared

    On Tue, 20 May 2008 02:00:00 UTC, "PaulRS" wrote:

    > On Sat, 17 May 2008 21:06:06 UTC, "Pete"
    > wrote:
    >
    > > On Thu, 15 May 2008 00:31:52 UTC, "Lars Erdmann"
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > Thanks, /IRQ did the trick with print01.sys. I went back to it because
    > > using PAR1284.SYS seemed to be causing lockups whenever I opened a
    > > Win-OS2 window. The plug on cable for the LPT riser on the mobo wasn't
    > > making good contact--either driver works ok except for the Win-OS2
    > > problem. Now all I'd like to do is get Wordstar to print to it--no
    > > success yet-- because WS will print in bi-directional draft, meaning the
    > > print head prints L to R and then the next line R to L and so on
    > > (Panasonic KX-P2023). The mobo is an M2N-E. not an M2N-E SLI, and the
    > > manual says precious little about LPT1.
    > >
    > > Pete
    > >

    > I also use WordStar 7.0d under OS/2. I set the printer driver in
    > WordStar itself and then print to the NULL Driver in the OS/2 Print
    > listings. This works fine for me. I guess the key is whether WS
    > supports your printer. I use a ProWriter (C-Itoh 8510) Also a
    > Panasonic KXP-1124i that I got working under WS. I know I fiddled
    > with these drivers under WS's ability to modify print drivers - but
    > that was years ago. One of my two Panasonic (WS) drivers emulates an
    > IBM which the 1124i was able to do.
    > Paul

    Thanks, I'll fiddle around in wschange. I prefer the bi-directional
    printing because all I use is draft, and it takes half the time to pint
    a few pages of code. The KX-2023 used to work with the old mobos (486
    and Abit KT7E), but this is a new mobo, so I thought it might be doing
    something funny.

    Pete

    --

  15. Re: LPT1 has disappeared

    On Tue, 20 May 2008 03:03:18 UTC, "Pete"
    wrote:

    > On Tue, 20 May 2008 02:00:00 UTC, "PaulRS" wrote:
    >
    > > On Sat, 17 May 2008 21:06:06 UTC, "Pete"
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > > On Thu, 15 May 2008 00:31:52 UTC, "Lars Erdmann"
    > > > wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Thanks, /IRQ did the trick with print01.sys. I went back to it because
    > > > using PAR1284.SYS seemed to be causing lockups whenever I opened a
    > > > Win-OS2 window. The plug on cable for the LPT riser on the mobo wasn't
    > > > making good contact--either driver works ok except for the Win-OS2
    > > > problem. Now all I'd like to do is get Wordstar to print to it--no
    > > > success yet-- because WS will print in bi-directional draft, meaning the
    > > > print head prints L to R and then the next line R to L and so on
    > > > (Panasonic KX-P2023). The mobo is an M2N-E. not an M2N-E SLI, and the
    > > > manual says precious little about LPT1.
    > > >
    > > > Pete
    > > >

    > > I also use WordStar 7.0d under OS/2. I set the printer driver in
    > > WordStar itself and then print to the NULL Driver in the OS/2 Print
    > > listings. This works fine for me. I guess the key is whether WS
    > > supports your printer. I use a ProWriter (C-Itoh 8510) Also a
    > > Panasonic KXP-1124i that I got working under WS. I know I fiddled
    > > with these drivers under WS's ability to modify print drivers - but
    > > that was years ago. One of my two Panasonic (WS) drivers emulates an
    > > IBM which the 1124i was able to do.
    > > Paul

    > Thanks, I'll fiddle around in wschange. I prefer the bi-directional
    > printing because all I use is draft, and it takes half the time to pint
    > a few pages of code. The KX-2023 used to work with the old mobos (486
    > and Abit KT7E), but this is a new mobo, so I thought it might be doing
    > something funny.
    >
    > Pete

    One other point I thought of . . . WS hogs processor time when in use.
    Watch the processor graph at the bottom of the screen when you try to
    print. Initially it hogged so much it would not print. Three
    execution off when in the background (not in focus) - This may get
    printing started. (2) Set the two idle seconds=0, idle sensitivity=1
    or 2. (3) If you have a really fast mother board you may need to get
    a programe called TAME (www.tamedos.com). The key will be the
    processor usage when WS is running or printing. With my 3GHz Pent 4
    option 2 worked for me with WS. However, I had to get TAME for Dbase5
    (DOS).
    --

  16. Re: LPT1 has disappeared

    On Tue, 20 May 2008 03:22:50 UTC, "PaulRS"
    wrote:

    > On Tue, 20 May 2008 03:03:18 UTC, "Pete"
    > wrote:
    >
    > > On Tue, 20 May 2008 02:00:00 UTC, "PaulRS" wrote:

    > > > I also use WordStar 7.0d under OS/2. I set the printer driver in
    > > > WordStar itself and then print to the NULL Driver in the OS/2 Print
    > > > listings. This works fine for me. I guess the key is whether WS
    > > > supports your printer. I use a ProWriter (C-Itoh 8510) Also a
    > > > Panasonic KXP-1124i that I got working under WS. I know I fiddled
    > > > with these drivers under WS's ability to modify print drivers - but
    > > > that was years ago. One of my two Panasonic (WS) drivers emulates an
    > > > IBM which the 1124i was able to do.
    > > > Paul

    > > Thanks, I'll fiddle around in wschange. I prefer the bi-directional
    > > printing because all I use is draft, and it takes half the time to pint
    > > a few pages of code. The KX-2023 used to work with the old mobos (486
    > > and Abit KT7E), but this is a new mobo, so I thought it might be doing
    > > something funny.
    > >
    > > Pete
    > >

    > One other point I thought of . . . WS hogs processor time when in use.
    > Watch the processor graph at the bottom of the screen when you try to
    > print. Initially it hogged so much it would not print. Three
    > execution off when in the background (not in focus) - This may get
    > printing started. (2) Set the two idle seconds=0, idle sensitivity=1
    > or 2. (3) If you have a really fast mother board you may need to get
    > a programe called TAME (www.tamedos.com). The key will be the
    > processor usage when WS is running or printing. With my 3GHz Pent 4
    > option 2 worked for me with WS. However, I had to get TAME for Dbase5
    > (DOS).

    One more thing you may have already tried: at a DOS box prompt type:
    >copy autoexec.bat lpt1

    This will send this OS/2 file to lpt1 - if it prints, then the port is
    working and your problem is elseware
    --

  17. Re: LPT1 has disappeared

    In article
    khadhargo@sbc...nospam.-.global.net "Pete" writes:

    > [...] Now all I'd like to do is get Wordstar to print to it--no
    > success yet-- because WS will print in bi-directional draft, meaning the
    > print head prints L to R and then the next line R to L and so on
    > (Panasonic KX-P2023). [...]

    I've been using WS-DOS 7c with varous generations of OS/2 without
    problems (except the print delays, which ISTR got solved by those
    settings in the Properties). My HP DeskJet 500 works well. Then
    I obtained the PostScript PDF -- as in Printer Definition File --
    whose output converts to PDF via Ghostscript but can require geek
    savvy for proper adjustment unless you are happy with the default
    typeface set supplied by Philip Griffin-Allwood. For making HTML
    I use my own WS2HTML converter (see past posts and Google).
    --
    Andrew Stephenson

  18. Re: LPT1 has disappeared

    Sidetrack question here Paul!

    PaulRS wrote:

    > I also use WordStar 7.0d under OS/2. I set the printer driver in
    > WordStar itself and then print to the NULL Driver in the OS/2 Print
    > listings. This works fine for me. I guess the key is whether WS
    > supports your printer. I use a ProWriter (C-Itoh 8510) Also a
    > Panasonic KXP-1124i that I got working under WS. I know I fiddled
    > with these drivers under WS's ability to modify print drivers - but
    > that was years ago. One of my two Panasonic (WS) drivers emulates an
    > IBM which the 1124i was able to do.
    > Paul

    Have you or anyone here that has or still uses WordStar 7 in DOS with OS/2 been
    able to get rid of the original file opening lockups with it? I still use it
    all the time for my major program because of the touch-typing interface and so
    on.

    But the one thing that has haunted me ever since it came out is that in OS/2 if
    I attempt to open the first file VERY quickly before the original first screen
    comes up as WS 7 is loaded, I'll get a SYS3170 error in the DOS-VDM session or
    I'll get a complete lock for the DOS-VDM that has to be force shut down. This
    was never a problem on WS 6, only with WS 7.

    Following either one of these events, what will be in the system is that the
    temporary files for the file attempted to be opened for editing will be still
    on the disk which are coded with the .$?$ extent. Until you manually go in and
    delete the temp files you can't edit that file again. For all these years now
    I've had a little utility batch file in the C:\WS directory I call CLEANUP.BAT
    which has in it:

    del *.$?$

    I simply run it after any of these lockups in whatever directory I was
    originally working in and problem is gone.

    This problem is never present in any child process opening of WS 7 with the
    desired file called as part of the command line. It ONLY happens if you don't
    let the initial window and file directory display not be present as you lead
    that with the hand-typed file you want to edit and hit the before the
    first screen display opens. You never see it if that first screen file
    directory display is on before you hit the for the action to tell WS 7 to
    open that file.

    To my research it looks like WS 7 is going into an infinite loop somehow in
    it's opening file action and hanging the DOS-VDM in a 100% CPU loop, or if it
    doesn't do that it pops a SYS3170 PMSHELL error. I've experimented with a
    whole host of WSCHANGE parameter changes trying to figure out how to stop this
    and never been able to do it. What it looks like is happening is that the
    creation in the file opening process which adds the .$?$ files to the directory
    confuses the file directory loading process for WS 7 that then pops that part
    of the WS 7 code into either the endless loop mode or the SYS3170 trap I get.

    Do you or anyone here know how to fix this one little annoying buglette?

    THANKS!

    --

    --> Sleep well; OS2's still awake!

    Mike Luther

  19. Re: LPT1 has disappeared

    In article <48415592$0$4075$bbae4d71@news.suddenlink.net>
    mike.luther@ziplog.com "Mike Luther" writes:

    > Have you or anyone here that has or still uses WordStar 7 in
    > DOS with OS/2 been able to get rid of the original file opening
    > lockups with it? I still use it all the time for my major
    > program because of the touch-typing interface and so on.

    Mike:

    I have, since 1995, used WS-DOS 7c under OS/2 Warp and eCS-1.2
    with no sign whatsoever of the problems you describe, either a
    lockup at opening, or problems with WS not destroying its temp
    files. Before that I ran WS under real DOS (various including
    Evil Empire (IBM), Shoddy Empire (M$) and DR-DOS up to 7), w/o
    problems.

    If for example I crash a WS VDOS session (eg, when writing DOS
    software that happens to run amok), WS cleans away the rubbish
    temp files when I restart.

    At the risk of sounding facetious (but not actually being it),
    why not wait a second or two longer when you start? As to the
    temporary file problem: no ideas, sorry.
    --
    Andrew Stephenson

  20. Re: LPT1 has disappeared

    On Sat, 31 May 2008 13:41:40 UTC, Mike Luther
    wrote:

> [...]

    > first screen display opens. You never see it if that first screen file
    > directory display is on before you hit the for the action to tell WS 7 to
    > open that file.
    >
    > To my research it looks like WS 7 is going into an infinite loop somehow in
    > it's opening file action and hanging the DOS-VDM in a 100% CPU loop, or if it
    > doesn't do that it pops a SYS3170 PMSHELL error. I've experimented with a
    > whole host of WSCHANGE parameter changes trying to figure out how to stop this
    > and never been able to do it. What it looks like is happening is that the
    > creation in the file opening process which adds the .$?$ files to the directory
    > confuses the file directory loading process for WS 7 that then pops that part
    > of the WS 7 code into either the endless loop mode or the SYS3170 trap I get.
    >
    > Do you or anyone here know how to fix this one little annoying buglette?

    I attempted to do what you mentioned with no success (the buglet). Quite
    some time ago I read that the very last version of WS was something like
    "7k"; I have "7h". I also have WS 6, but after upgrading to 7, I didn't
    find the improvements all that great (they may have had to do with the
    prieveiw function, don't recall). For documents, I dumped WS7 in favor
    of Papyrus years ago (Describe and Clearlook were too convoluted).

    I use WS4 for programming because it doesn't have all the extra bells
    and whistles which WS7 uses for the print preview, the printer drivers
    run the print head both ways (L ro R and R to L), and pagination and
    printing of page numbers when printing a non-document. All I print on
    when writing code is a Panasonic KX-P20203 in "dot matrix draft" font on
    tractor feed paper. Both WS4 and WS7 have a feature which I haven't
    disovered in other word processors: mark a block of text, ^K (release
    the ^ key) then " or ', which changes the case of the marked text,
    helpful when you've been merrily typing along without realizing the caps
    lock key has been on.

    This uses WS keyboard commands:
    http://www.writeandset.com/english/indxf.html
    The only thing I don't care for is the complexity of printing.

    I've also experimented with EE, EEE, and MED--Mr. Editor--which
    highlights in color according to the syntax type. However, with all of
    these, the OS/2 omni driver won't run the printhead both directions, at
    least I've never figured out how, and this slows down printing
    considerably. I just now went back and took another look at MED (it has
    some WS-like key commands and the capability to assign macros to
    selected keystrokes), and I think I'm going to buy a license. Started
    using WS in CP-M days (v2.0, I think).

    Pete

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast