ZxMail : Clearing outbox - OS2

This is a discussion on ZxMail : Clearing outbox - OS2 ; Is there anyway to manually force deletion or clearing of the outbox in ZxMail? It looks like there's a bunch of dead/zombie junk left in "OUTBOX.etb" so periodically it tries sending this again and again so I'm left with huge ...

  1. ZxMail : Clearing outbox

    Is there anyway to manually force deletion or clearing of the outbox
    in ZxMail?

    It looks like there's a bunch of dead/zombie junk left in "OUTBOX.etb"
    so periodically it tries sending this again and again so I'm left with
    huge log files and wasted bandwidth/cpu cycles...

    It's a binary file and looks like stuff I need is in there, but I
    can't figure out the format. I tried deleting the file, but ZxMail
    doesn't like to start up in that case.

    Thanks,
    Isaac

  2. Re: ZxMail : Clearing outbox

    On Sat, 10 May 2008 00:35:51 -0700 (PDT), AFrog
    wrote:

    >Is there anyway to manually force deletion or clearing of the outbox
    >in ZxMail?

    I'd like to know that myself. Several years ago I munged my database
    files and had to send them to Eric to have them fixed. Since then
    I've been making backup's of the entire directory every night.

    Since he gave up support quite some time ago I don't know if you can
    get him to help you or not. Did you try emailing him? It would be
    great if he posted the tool he uses to fix them, if that is what it
    is.

    Hope you get it worked out. Please post if you do.

    L.

  3. Re: ZxMail : Clearing outbox

    Sir:

    AFrog wrote:
    > Is there anyway to manually force deletion or clearing of the outbox
    > in ZxMail?
    >
    > It looks like there's a bunch of dead/zombie junk left in "OUTBOX.etb"
    > so periodically it tries sending this again and again so I'm left with
    > huge log files and wasted bandwidth/cpu cycles...
    >
    > It's a binary file and looks like stuff I need is in there, but I
    > can't figure out the format. I tried deleting the file, but ZxMail
    > doesn't like to start up in that case.
    >

    > Thanks,
    > Isaac

    Did you try Just open the outbox folder and delete the files therein?
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  4. Re: ZxMail : Clearing outbox

    On May 10, 6:19 pm, "William L. Hartzell"
    wrote:
    > Sir:
    >
    > AFrog wrote:
    > > Is there anyway to manually force deletion or clearing of the outbox
    > > in ZxMail?

    > > It looks like there's a bunch of dead/zombie junk left in "OUTBOX.etb"
    > > so periodically it tries sending this again and again so I'm left with
    > > huge log files and wasted bandwidth/cpu cycles...

    > > It's a binary file and looks like stuff I need is in there, but I
    > > can't figure out the format. I tried deleting the file, but ZxMail
    > > doesn't like to start up in that case.

    > > Thanks,
    > > Isaac

    > Did you try Just open the outbox folder and delete the files therein?
    > --
    > Bill
    > Thanks a Million!

    No, that's the problem. The OUTBOX folder is actually empty.
    This stymied me for quite a while as the logs were reporting message
    re-sending tries, but nothing in the outbox. At first I thought it was
    some hackers/spammers trying to get through my e-mail server. After
    some digging, that's when I realized it was leftover junk in the
    OUTBOX.ETB file instead by viewing the file (I found the exact message
    numbers that it kept trying to re-send).

    Isaac

  5. Re: ZxMail : Clearing outbox

    Sir:

    AFrog wrote:
    > On May 10, 6:19 pm, "William L. Hartzell"
    > wrote:
    >> Sir:
    >>
    >> AFrog wrote:
    >>> Is there anyway to manually force deletion or clearing of the outbox
    >>> in ZxMail?
    >>> It looks like there's a bunch of dead/zombie junk left in "OUTBOX.etb"
    >>> so periodically it tries sending this again and again so I'm left with
    >>> huge log files and wasted bandwidth/cpu cycles...
    >>> It's a binary file and looks like stuff I need is in there, but I
    >>> can't figure out the format. I tried deleting the file, but ZxMail
    >>> doesn't like to start up in that case.
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Isaac

    >> Did you try Just open the outbox folder and delete the files therein?
    >> --
    >> Bill
    >> Thanks a Million!

    > No, that's the problem. The OUTBOX folder is actually empty.
    > This stymied me for quite a while as the logs were reporting message
    > re-sending tries, but nothing in the outbox. At first I thought it was
    > some hackers/spammers trying to get through my e-mail server. After
    > some digging, that's when I realized it was leftover junk in the
    > OUTBOX.ETB file instead by viewing the file (I found the exact message
    > numbers that it kept trying to re-send).
    >

    > Isaac

    Delete the program and reinstall.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  6. Re: ZxMail : Clearing outbox

    William L. Hartzell wrote:
    > Delete the program and reinstall.

    That's funny... I thought this was an *OS/2* newsgroup. ;-)

  7. Re: ZxMail : Clearing outbox

    On 05/13/08 03:56 am Marty wrote:

    >> Delete the program and reinstall.

    > That's funny... I thought this was an *OS/2* newsgroup. ;-)

    The OP posted using SeaMonkey 1.1.9 for OS/2. zxMail isn't a program
    with which I was familiar, but when I Googled it, I found:

    http://www.zeryx.com/English/index.shtml

    And on that page the following:

    "Our main product is ZxMail email Server the email server for OS/2,..."

    Perce

  8. Re: ZxMail : Clearing outbox

    Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
    > On 05/13/08 03:56 am Marty wrote:
    >
    >>> Delete the program and reinstall.

    >> That's funny... I thought this was an *OS/2* newsgroup. ;-)

    > The OP posted using SeaMonkey 1.1.9 for OS/2. zxMail isn't a program
    > with which I was familiar, but when I Googled it, I found:
    >
    > http://www.zeryx.com/English/index.shtml
    >
    > And on that page the following:
    >
    > "Our main product is ZxMail email Server the email server for OS/2,..."

    I was talking about the solution, not the problem. ;-)

  9. Re: ZxMail : Clearing outbox

    Sir:

    Marty wrote:
    > Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

    >>> That's funny... I thought this was an *OS/2* newsgroup. ;-)

    >> The OP posted using SeaMonkey 1.1.9 for OS/2. zxMail isn't a program
    >> with which I was familiar, but when I Googled it, I found:
    >>
    >> http://www.zeryx.com/English/index.shtml
    >>
    >> And on that page the following:
    >>
    >> "Our main product is ZxMail email Server the email server for OS/2,..."

    > I was talking about the solution, not the problem. ;-)

    The problem is the author has discontinued support for the product.
    This bug, I have not encountered and I use the product daily, I assume
    is not common. The quickest way to fix the indexes, since he was unable
    to delete & rebuild them, is to remove the product and start again.
    Sometimes the solution is remove and reinstall.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

+ Reply to Thread