Is this the ACTIVE OS2 Newsgroup? - OS2

This is a discussion on Is this the ACTIVE OS2 Newsgroup? - OS2 ; I found several OS2 newsgroups. This seems to be the only one with any messages. I suppose there are not too many OS2 users anymore, but I have had enough of Windows. I'll continue to use Win98, but OS2 is ...

  1. Is this the ACTIVE OS2 Newsgroup?

    I found several OS2 newsgroups. This seems to be the only one with
    any messages. I suppose there are not too many OS2 users anymore, but
    I have had enough of Windows. I'll continue to use Win98, but OS2 is
    going to be my "upgrade". Windows XP and Vista are garbage. I have
    OS2 Warp version 3. I'm getting ready to install it. Years ago I ran
    an earlier version of OS2 and loved it. I hope version 3 is as great.

  2. Re: Is this the ACTIVE OS2 Newsgroup?

    jimdukas3@email.com wrote:
    > I found several OS2 newsgroups. This seems to be the only one with
    > any messages. I suppose there are not too many OS2 users anymore, but
    > I have had enough of Windows. I'll continue to use Win98, but OS2 is
    > going to be my "upgrade". Windows XP and Vista are garbage. I have
    > OS2 Warp version 3. I'm getting ready to install it. Years ago I ran
    > an earlier version of OS2 and loved it. I hope version 3 is as great.

    _____
    Good idea. I recommend that you look for a copy of Warp 4, or eCS. An
    eCS demo CD is available free of charge (must burn you own CD). Plain
    Warp 3 does not come with the TCP/IP connection unless your copy is Warp
    3 Connect. If you need to find a copy of Warp 4 i can probably help.
    Contact me off-line at .

    About a month ago i reinstalled Warp 4, DeScribe 5.06, and PMFax. A
    current web browser and email client combo that works well is Seamonkey.
    Warp 4 must be updated with FixPack15 to make the current web browsers
    work. A new installer called WarpIN is now commonly used to install
    programs. Hobbs archive is a good source for a lot of software.

    So, there is quite a bit of setup work to be done. Many people in this
    group can help you out if you get stuck.

    / John
    --

  3. Re: Is this the ACTIVE OS2 Newsgroup?

    In , on 05/07/2008
    at 12:34 PM, jimdukas3@email.com said:

    >I found several OS2 newsgroups. This seems to be the only one with any
    >messages. I suppose there are not too many OS2 users anymore, but I have
    >had enough of Windows. I'll continue to use Win98, but OS2 is going to
    >be my "upgrade". Windows XP and Vista are garbage. I have OS2 Warp
    >version 3. I'm getting ready to install it. Years ago I ran an earlier
    >version of OS2 and loved it. I hope version 3 is as great.

    Unless you still have older hardware you are likely to encounter some
    difficulties installing OS/2 today. I would suggest you look at eCS,
    which is a compendium of the final release of OS/2 with additions to allow
    it to run on current hardware. Check here for information:

    http://www.ecomstation.com/

    -- Dave
    dhdurgeeverizonnet

  4. Re: Is this the ACTIVE OS2 Newsgroup?

    me@privacy.net wrote:
    > In , on 05/07/2008
    > at 12:34 PM, jimdukas3@email.com said:
    >
    >> I found several OS2 newsgroups. This seems to be the only one with any
    >> messages. I suppose there are not too many OS2 users anymore, but I have
    >> had enough of Windows. I'll continue to use Win98, but OS2 is going to
    >> be my "upgrade". Windows XP and Vista are garbage. I have OS2 Warp
    >> version 3. I'm getting ready to install it. Years ago I ran an earlier
    >> version of OS2 and loved it. I hope version 3 is as great.

    > Unless you still have older hardware you are likely to encounter some
    > difficulties installing OS/2 today. I would suggest you look at eCS,
    > which is a compendium of the final release of OS/2 with additions to allow
    > it to run on current hardware. Check here for information:
    >
    > http://www.ecomstation.com/

    _____
    You are quite correct about the use of older hardware with OS/2. My own
    installation platform was a machine from 2000 or so. According to many
    posts i have read, eCS is the way forward with modern hardware. There
    are also some very fine new file systems available (Reiser FS, LVM, etc)
    that were just under development when OS/2 Warp 4 was released. The
    advantages of the newer file systems can be had with eCS. I don't know
    if Warp 4 can be retrofitted with the newest file systems.

    / John
    --

  5. Re: Is this the ACTIVE OS2 Newsgroup?

    On May 7, 12:34 pm, jimduk...@email.com wrote:
    > I found several OS2 newsgroups. This seems to be the only one with
    > any messages. I suppose there are not too many OS2 users anymore, but
    > I have had enough of Windows. I'll continue to use Win98, but OS2 is
    > going to be my "upgrade". Windows XP and Vista are garbage. I have
    > OS2 Warp version 3. I'm getting ready to install it. Years ago I ran
    > an earlier version of OS2 and loved it. I hope version 3 is as great.

    The forums at OS/2 world are pretty active.

    http://www.os2world.com/

    David

  6. Re: Is this the ACTIVE OS2 Newsgroup?

    On May 7, 12:34 pm, jimduk...@email.com wrote:
    > I found several OS2 newsgroups. This seems to be the only one with
    > any messages. I suppose there are not too many OS2 users anymore, but
    > I have had enough of Windows.

    The ecomstation newsgroups are pretty active too

    news.ecomstation.com

    along with the yahoo eComstation groups.

    eComstation is a continuation of OS/2 by third parties.

  7. Re: Is this the ACTIVE OS2 Newsgroup?

    In , on 05/07/2008
    at 12:34 PM, jimdukas3@email.com said:

    >I found several OS2 newsgroups. This seems to be the only one with any
    >messages.

    It might be worth your while to subscribe to comp.os.os2.ecomstation as
    well.

    >I hope version 3 is as great.

    IMHO you'd be better off buying an eComStation upgrade, which will get you
    more current and save you a lot of downloading. The current OS/2 is Warp
    4.52 and Serenity has added a lot on top of that.

    reply to spamtrap@library.lspace.org

  8. Re: Is this the ACTIVE OS2 Newsgroup?

    jch wrote:
    > me@privacy.net wrote:
    >> In , on 05/07/2008 at
    >> 12:34 PM, jimdukas3@email.com said:
    >>
    >>> I found several OS2 newsgroups. This seems to be the only one with any
    >>> messages. I suppose there are not too many OS2 users anymore, but I
    >>> have
    >>> had enough of Windows. I'll continue to use Win98, but OS2 is going to
    >>> be my "upgrade". Windows XP and Vista are garbage. I have OS2 Warp
    >>> version 3. I'm getting ready to install it. Years ago I ran an earlier
    >>> version of OS2 and loved it. I hope version 3 is as great.

    >> Unless you still have older hardware you are likely to encounter some
    >> difficulties installing OS/2 today. I would suggest you look at eCS,
    >> which is a compendium of the final release of OS/2 with additions to
    >> allow
    >> it to run on current hardware. Check here for information:
    >>
    >> http://www.ecomstation.com/

    > _____
    > You are quite correct about the use of older hardware with OS/2. My own
    > installation platform was a machine from 2000 or so. According to many
    > posts i have read, eCS is the way forward with modern hardware. There
    > are also some very fine new file systems available (Reiser FS, LVM, etc)
    > that were just under development when OS/2 Warp 4 was released. The
    > advantages of the newer file systems can be had with eCS.

    Well, umm, you can't have Reiser with OS/2 or eCS unless someone writes
    the IFS driver for it. However, since Warp 4.5 there is a new file
    system called JFS (Journalling FS) from IBM which is the latest and the
    greatest we have for OS/2. It offers short autocheck times, and 64bit
    internal structures, making big files (over 2GB) and big partitions
    (over 64GB) available. Previous versions of OS/2 are limited by HPFS limits.

    > I don't know
    > if Warp 4 can be retrofitted with the newest file systems.

    There were successfull attempts to put JFS into Warp 4 without LVM, but
    I don't think it's worth it. You need many fixes to apply and latest
    kernels, so it's better to get that all in one eCS installation for
    every but most adventurous user. :-)

    --
    Cheers,
    Martin

    UNDERSCOREmmiATcentrumDOTcz to email me

  9. Re: Is this the ACTIVE OS2 Newsgroup?

    On May 7, 10:34*am, jimduk...@email.com wrote:
    > I found several OS2 newsgroups. *This seems to be the only one with
    > any messages. *I suppose there are not too many OS2 users anymore, but
    > I have had enough of Windows. *I'll continue to use Win98, but OS2 is
    > going to be my "upgrade". *Windows XP and Vista are garbage. *I have
    > OS2 Warp version 3. *I'm getting ready to install it. *Years ago I ran
    > an earlier version of OS2 and loved it. *I hope version 3 is as great.

    Wow, I saw this post and I honestly thought Google Groups was broken
    and was showing me posts from 2001 as new.

    It's hard to even take this post seriously, but for the sake of
    argument I'll entertain the idea of someone in 2008 preferring Windows
    98 to XP.

    First off, OS/2 V3 is not a good idea on any PC hardware made after
    say.. 1997. Systems after that time tend to assume certain things
    about the operating system that OS/2 V3 can't satisfy, ie. Plug &
    Play, certain power management, RAM setup, hard drive types, etc. The
    last IBM version of OS/2, V4.52, has a slightly better chance of
    installing on hardware made before 2002 or so, but some of the drivers
    are still going to be very confused, especially with bigger hard
    drives. Also, don't assume you'll get any decent video support.
    There are some generic catch-all video drivers but I'm not sure which
    are free and what they really support and support well.

    eComstation has been mentioned. It's basically OS/2 4.52 with a lot
    of mods. The company behind it has been trying to shim in some more
    crazy and modern stuff, like ACPI (that Windows and Linux have had for
    years) and trying to get the drivers a bit more updated. The desktop
    got a makeover, but it's more or less a fancy shell comprised of lots
    of already available things (ie. xworkplace, multimedia classes).

    I really don't know how any of this will run on modern hardware. I
    know people talk about installing Warp on blade servers and whatever
    other odd things, but I'm talking about the typical rig built from
    parts on Newegg. Can *that* run OS/2, much less run it well? I
    honestly don't know. Is it worth dedicating an entire PC to? Also, I
    don't know.

    In my case I wanted to play with OS/2 after a 10+ year hiatus, but
    didn't want to dedicate an entire PC to it. I turned to
    virtualization, specifically the excellent Virtualbox program
    (www.virtualbox.org), which allows me to run OS/2 V4.52 in its own
    virtual machine. The good thing here is despite my PC being very new
    (laptop bought in Feb 2008), the virtual machine environment is
    presented as legacy hardware that OS/2 has no problems with. OS/2
    runs on my desktop, in a nice big window, but there's no hardware
    investment.. OS/2 is just another application, sitting next to my web
    browser, media player, whatever else. The irony is that the resources
    I allocated to it (which are adjustable) are far more than any PC in
    1997 had. 8)

+ Reply to Thread